Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #316
dredick
DIS Veteran

[quote=Tara922c;31325258]Tip from an ex- CM...

Be humble. There are people at Disney from all walks of life. Some are millionaires, and some have been saving for years, and years, and years just to be able to come for a few days. Two stories I will never forget are... The Big Brothers, and Big Sisters from Toronto Canada, flew down with over a hundred disadvantaged children. They took an early morning flight, went to MK for the day, and then flew back at 11 PM at night. Those children were so sweet, and were so thankful to be there. The sponsers had been doing fundraisers for over a year for the trip. To me, it was just magical to see these kids faces that would otherwise never be able to go to Disney as a child. They were so thankful for just one day at Disney. Another late night I was chatting with this wonder guest. She told me that it was her dream to take her 8 children to Disney. She was from Alabama, they drove through the night to make it to MK for rope drop, stayed the whole day, and drove straight back to Alabama. She started crying, and told me she wished she could do more, but the one day trip cost her family over 1000 dollars, and that is all she could do. Just then her little boy walked up to her, gave her a hug, and said, "mommy, this has been the best day of my life, thank-you". It was so sweet!
quote]
Thank you so much for sharing those stories. It truly brought tears to my eyes! We have been blessed with many WDW trips, thank you for that reminder...God Bless!
OffSite 6/94, Offsite 6/96, ASM 9/99, ASMo 9/01, CBR 7/02, POR 10/03,FWR 6/04, POP 10/04,PORQ 12/04, 3 TRIPS Offsite '05,ASsp 6/06, ASM 5/07, ASM 7/07, WONDER 9/08, POP 9/08, SSR 6/09, WONDER 6/10,CBR 1/12, POFQ 3/14

Debbie 40 DH 41 DS 16 DS 14
dredick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #317
dredick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickaholic4077 View Post
There's no South Carolina?????
I have to say, being from SC..it was the 1st thing I thought before I realized what the post ment!!!

OffSite 6/94, Offsite 6/96, ASM 9/99, ASMo 9/01, CBR 7/02, POR 10/03,FWR 6/04, POP 10/04,PORQ 12/04, 3 TRIPS Offsite '05,ASsp 6/06, ASM 5/07, ASM 7/07, WONDER 9/08, POP 9/08, SSR 6/09, WONDER 6/10,CBR 1/12, POFQ 3/14

Debbie 40 DH 41 DS 16 DS 14
dredick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #318
DearDaisyinDurham
I'm trying not to look at the poutine, it's my weakness

Talking Love it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faneuil View Post
I once picked on a Disney security guy named Chip. I asked him where Dale was. He finished looking at my bag and said, "you need to come with me." I was shocked. But he walked me over to Dale. Pretty fun stuff.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #319
tsd1202
I Love Disney

Ok I read the whole thread and can't figure out what the red light trick is??? Did I miss something?

78- offsite 80- offsite Sept 97- AS Music Sept 99- AS Sports Sept 05- POP-DS 1st trip Sept 06- POP CenturySept 07- CBR Spending my Bday with Mickey 12/2/09
tsd1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:44 AM   #320
mickaholic4077
I kicked cancer's butt!!

I think it means that is where the door to the place where you get on the doom buggys is,but I could be wrong.
mickaholic4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #321
ZeroToHero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsd1202 View Post
Ok I read the whole thread and can't figure out what the red light trick is??? Did I miss something?
If you want to be among the first to exit for the Doom Buggies, stand on the side with the painting of the lady with the parasol. I think there's a red light somewhere over there.

If you do that though, you miss out on the chattering of the gargoyles. So it's one or the other.
ZeroToHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #322
RocketCityMama
Mouseketeer

LOVE this thread! Thanks everyone for the great tips!
1996 ~2nd Trip ~Shades of Green
Dec 27-29, 2008 ~3rd Trip (DD1 & 2 & DH 1st trip)Coronado Springs
May 22-29, 2009 ~4th Trip Coronado Springs
*~*~*~*Planning next trip soon*~*~*~*
&
RocketCityMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #323
diavolobella
Diavolobella

This is a very cool thread.

7/73 Contemporary Resort
5/07 Pop Century
5/08 All Star Music
5/09 Pop Century

diavolobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #324
lfwhipp
Who Dat Baby!

Great thread, keep the tips coming!!

July 79 Poly, Feb 92 POFQ, July 97 YC April 05 offsite, April 07 offsite,Aug 08 AS Mu w/ FD, Sept 09 PoP w/FD, May 11 BWI/CSR ,Dec 11 CBR, Oct 12 AKV-Kidani
lfwhipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #325
Buzz Litebeer
Not a Flying Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroToHero View Post
If you want to be among the first to exit for the Doom Buggies, stand on the side with the painting of the lady with the parasol. I think there's a red light somewhere over there.
That "red light" is an electronic sensor that won't open the doors if someone is leaning against them.

When the CMs tell you to "please step away from the walls and towards the dead center of the room," there's a reason.

And honestly, when I go the HM as a Guest I don't worry about where I'm standing. I enjoy both the show and watching others enjoy it.
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. This post was written while off the clock and off WDW property. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice and should not, if ever, be taken seriously by anyone.
Buzz Litebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #326
ZeroToHero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Litebeer View Post
That "red light" is an electronic sensor that won't open the doors if someone is leaning against them.

When the CMs tell you to "please step away from the walls and towards the dead center of the room," there's a reason.

And honestly, when I go the HM as a Guest I don't worry about where I'm standing. I enjoy both the show and watching others enjoy it.
I bet that has saved Disney from a lot of lawsuits....

I am making it my duty to see the body hanging from the rafters this year - I never looked up in time before.
ZeroToHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #327
Britgirlus
Mouseketeer

For those of you with young kids that you don't want to lose, and you don't want to write on then with permanent marker, check these out - I think I learned about them somewhere on these boards - www.safetytat.com - I just ordered some for ds5 for our upcoming trip, with our cellphone numbers on. Even if your kids know your numbers, they might forget them in the panic of being lost.
Britgirlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #328
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

No CM here, but here's a little one. I got the idea from CM's...

Now I'd never do this in the real world, but at WDW - at least if they are Mickey/Disney stickers and you have kids with you - it seems to work.

Sometimes CM's give out Mickey stickers. They tend to give them to kids. They often give two at a time. If we get extras, I save them in my wallet.
When I see a kid having a meltdown, I offer the parent a sticker or two. It has worked every time to end the meltdown! It also keeps the situation from escalating. By offering it to the parent first, you are getting their permission.

Not only does it end the meltdown, it usually creates a smile!

Also, I sort of disagree about encouraging a person to go on a ride if they are mildly afraid. Certainly it pays to know your person. Encouraging someone under the right circumstances can build trust! If you know they don't like ghosts, then pushing them to go on a ride with ghosts is out. If however, they are iffy (not total panic attack, but iffy) about a ride that you know has no ghosts - then it may be in their best interest to encourage them to overcome their fears. But not encouraging someone to go on a ride may also damage trust beyond just riding rides.

I speak from experience. One family member once forced me on a ride that I hated when we were small kids. she flat out lied. I didn't trust her about rides for years, and it made me fearful of unknown rides. Ideed, my distrust of her went beyond rides.
Conversely, another friend and frequent WDW companion didn't encourage me to go on a ride that I was iffy about. Now I think about the times I missed out going on a fun ride - sitting out unnecessarily. Again, it damaged my trust in that person. They weren't willing to encourage me to overcome my fear, and didn't listen when I told them what my concerns were (I was an adult by then). I don't blame that person for my fear, but I also don't trust him for advice entirely either. Another person finally encouraged me to overcome my fear - and THAT person gained much trust with me!

My policy now is to try to experience each ride once and judge for myself. I know that ride fears are a very real thing, but I also know that helping someone overcome their fear is a powerful trust building tool!

Last edited by mickeyluv'r; 04-21-2009 at 03:43 PM.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #329
marciemouse
Raised on Disney

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthompson22 View Post
I bought my DS (almost 3 the first trip) a cheap Buzz watch to wear while we were at WDW. I wrote our cell phone number on the band with a Sharpie. DS knew that if he ever got separated from us, he was to show his "really cool" Buzz watch to a CM and they would help him find us. He still digs out his Buzz watch before every trip
This is a great tip! While I don't have kids yet, I've always wondered about a security measure that didn't involve a sharpie or tags inside clothing. Also, great tip from the poster who introduces their kids to a CM and shows them their name tags.

We are in the process of adopting kids from Ukraine, and I dream of taking them to Disney! Hopefully that trip will happen next year! I can't wait!

Cruisin' With Mickey! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012 Trip Report

Ramada Maingate February 2014--First time as a family of five! Ramada Maingate July 2013--Last time as a family of four! Ramada Maingate December 2012--Club 33! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera November 2012--We're addicted! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012--First Cruise! Ramada Maingate September 2011--First Trip as a family of 4! Anaheim Hilton March 2011--Last Trip as a Family of 3! Marriott Anaheim December 2010--Grandpa Jim's First Trip Marriott Anaheim October 2010--Celebrating Our 1 Year Adoption Anniversary Marriott Anaheim July 2010--Isabel's 3rd Birthday Trip Marriott Anaheim May 2010--First Time at Disneyland & First Trip with Isabel! Off Site May 2009--Quick getaway with my two favorite guys, DH and Dad Pop Century September 2008--My first solo trip! Pop Century May 2008--Finally just DH and me again! All Star Sports September 2006--With Dad and The Otters All Star Movies October 2005--Pressed penny collecting trip on the heels of Hurricane Wilma! Off Site December 2004--One last trip with Mom...bittersweet memories Off Site April 2003--With Mom & Dad Off Site May 2000--First trip with DH! And way more trips than I can count while living in Florida and then visiting after we moved!
marciemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #330
geenerbell
Am I caught up with Robo yet?

I love the CM's that do things that you don't expect. Upon checking in at the POP in March I went to luggage service to ask them to store my carry-on. As the CM was looking for his pen to write down my information I offered him my pen to use. After that he found his and asked if I wanted to "Trade Pens". I still have the pen and still laugh at how clever and unexpected that moment was. He was a really nice guy.
geenerbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: