Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #271
Raevyn_Wolfe
My neighbor is Mickey Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab0ad View Post
I bet it can be frustrating when you only have a limited time for a break or lunch to constantly be stopped. I thought there was some sort of underground tunnel or something with entrances everywhere for cast members so you didn't have to walk around the park to get to lunch/etc. I don't know where I got that but I was sure of it. I feel bad for you! Maybe take a raincoat and slip it on before leaving your station! then you can deny being a cast member on your way to lunch! Or even better--point out into the distance and yell, "look! Its Mickey and Minnie giving autographs and pics together! And there's no line!" Then carefully sneak away....
Only MK has the tunnels. The other parks don't. Now there is generally a backstage entrance close by locations, but you might be surprised how many times you can get stopped only walking a few feet.

And at my location the nearest CM approved bathroom is clear accross half the park, which means walking ON STAGE through half a crowded park when you might be in a BIG hurry. lol. (True it's a little park, but still)
Old 04-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #272
1stWDW
Earning My Ears

Great idea about watching the Youtube video of rides. I will never forget my 1st trip to WDW as a six year old. The scary squid in 20,000 Leagues gave me nightmares for a long time. It was the worst experience for me.

I just saw the Dinosaur video and have decided that my DS(5) will be skipping it even though he loves dinosaurs.

Thanks to all who post videos at Youtube of their rides. It may have saved my DS from many nightmares and bad WDW memories.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #273
princesspaige
DIS Veteran

We are heading down over Labor Day and I think we are going to look some of you CM's up just to say "Hi". So if your fellow CM's come up to you and say "this crazy lady is looking for you" you will know why.

With taking a 4 year old, I have already decided that we will be swimming some every day and if I don't get to see and do everything then there is always next year, and the next, and the one after that...I think you get my drift...

Me DD
princesspaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #274
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

as a guest, here is a sure fire way to bring a smile to someone's face - Say thank you to the woman cleaning the ladies room. 9 times out of 10 the bathrooms are remarkably clean for all the people that go through and 9 times out of 10 someone is physically in the bathroom cleaning. How'd you like that job...cleaning disney's bathrooms all day? Not me. But I absolutely appreciate that the bathroom is clean. I always tell the CM's THANK YOU and the smiles I get are amazing. Sometimes I think these women go for weeks and no one says thank you to them.

so Thank a restroom CM today!
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #275
missesdisney
DIS Veteran

I'm only halfway through reading this awesome thread and not a CM, just a frequent visitor and this is what we always tell our DS8:

We always pack our manners!

Just being nice to people and remembering every day manners goes a long way. Of course, you cannot expect that everyone else has packed theirs!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:15 AM   #276
DisDreaminMom
DIS Veteran

On our trip in December, we had a bus driver that actually picked up the mic and told us ( from ALK to Epcot, so it was a long drive) how to get to all the important places in the World, like the shortcuts for the busses, etc. I sat there listening the whole time. He was so interesting and he had all the routes worked out in his head. I wanted to ask for his number so I could call him on future trips and say, "How do I get from Point A to Point B really fast and still get one ride on a boat?" I did thank him for helping me understand a little more how the transportation works a little more. He was fabulous. He did one of those, "Just doing my job" lines, but we all knew he went above and beyond.

I like the line about always packing manners. I guess if you have no manners in the first place, it could be a problem or a benefit. Does that leave more room in your carry-on?
DisDreaminMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #277
faneuil
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDreaminMom View Post
On our trip in December, we had a bus driver that actually picked up the mic and told us ( from ALK to Epcot, so it was a long drive) how to get to all the important places in the World,
We had one that sang Christmas carols. She got the whole bus going.
During the holidays, I make a special effort to thank cast members for working on a holiday. They're sacrificing family time to make my vacation special. I always thank the characters as well. I knew Goofy for awhile, and he had some crazy stories.

To those that rent strollers: Please, return them. Don't leave them in the back of the park for a cast member to find and return to the stroller location at park close. This also goes for wheelchairs.

As a sidebar. I LOVE Disney transport. They do a better job than many city bus systems do.

I once picked on a Disney security guy named Chip. I asked him where Dale was. He finished looking at my bag and said, "you need to come with me." I was shocked. But he walked me over to Dale. Pretty fun stuff.

Last edited by faneuil; 04-16-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: can't spell
faneuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #278
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDreaminMom View Post
On our trip in December, we had a bus driver that actually picked up the mic and told us ( from ALK to Epcot, so it was a long drive) how to get to all the important places in the World, like the shortcuts for the busses, etc. I sat there listening the whole time. He was so interesting and he had all the routes worked out in his head. I wanted to ask for his number so I could call him on future trips and say, "How do I get from Point A to Point B really fast and still get one ride on a boat?" I did thank him for helping me understand a little more how the transportation works a little more. He was fabulous. He did one of those, "Just doing my job" lines, but we all knew he went above and beyond.

I like the line about always packing manners. I guess if you have no manners in the first place, it could be a problem or a benefit. Does that leave more room in your carry-on?
Don't get me wrong, a lot of bus drivers are really nice and they have a very difficult role because they can't see the big picture. All they know is where they are headed and that can be a blessing and a curse. I just don't trust their deployment system to be anywhere near efficient or reliable. That's why I favor the Boardwalk. It has water transportation to 2 parks and therefore monorail transportation to a third(epcot to MK) so the only time i'd have to take a bus would be to go to DAK

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #279
fausz4
Mouseketeer

It took me 3 days to read through this thread! Because it is so good - I didnt want to miss a tip!

Thanks for all the insight and for all the sharing among CMs and DISrs. I have learned alot....

1/10 - Our first trip w/o the boys! 05/09 - 17th Anniversary Trip with Family @ OKW! 07/96 - With DH, POFQ and a really bad off site hotel 09/05 - First Family Trip with DH, DS#1 & 2 and Grandpa Ray and Grandma Jean. OKW -2BD Villa In loving memory of my Dad... who only experienced the Magic once - but LOVED every minute! We will always cherish the memories!
Don't pity me or try to cure or change me. If you could live in my head for just one day, you might weep at how much beauty I perceive in the world, with my exquisite senses. I would not trade one small bit of that beauty as overwhelming & powerful as it can be, for "normalcy". - Anonymous
fausz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #280
pamjb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WthrLdy View Post
Ah! Was it Pecos ? The eatery by the bridge at the bend in the Splash Mountain. Pretty darn sure it was. As you walk in the front doors you see the CMs at registers and they take two lines and order right, then left. To YOUR RIGHT of THEM is an island of four you do it quick order machines. Slide your ATM/Credit/Room Chrage Card/ or Meal Plan card, select the meals you want and hit Order. You take your receipt and walk up the the counter and pick up your food. Simple and FAST !
Yep, it is Pecos Bills. They've been there since at least 2007. I used them then and I loved them.........I skipped a lot of people in line.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #281
mollygirl13
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
I always like to focus on "how things work" at WDW. Everything we do is done on a grand scale, so here are some tid bits, which can help you understand why things don't always go according to plan. These are based on WDW transportation:

1. The buses do not simply shuttle point A to point B. A bus will pick up guests at PoP century and take them to DHS. While approaching DHS, the bus driver contacts dispatch and dispatch advises what the next destination will be. Therefore, the bus carrying pop century guests might pull into the POR slot at DHS and pick up guests there. Although it looks like everyone on that bus came from POR, they in fact came from POP Century.

Part of this system is computerized. Of course we all LOVE computers because they are never wrong and never cause a problem right? So when a computer messes up or a dispatcher doesn't have their head on straight, you end up waiting 40 minutes for a bus. It could also be that a bus has multiple stops scheduled and fills up on the first stop. Therefore another bus has to be dispatched to stop number 2, causing yet another delay.

I'll be completely honest, I HATE the buses. I have had quite a few bad experiences as a guest when using them and it's because of those experiences that I talked to a bus driver at work one day and asked about this.

2. All the boats operate on a shuttle cycle. If a boat is tied up and secured at a dock, but the gate/rope is closed, you're not getting on that boat, so don't waste energy running towards it.

3. This is a universal tip to anyone visiting WDW. Although you might think you're the center of the world, you're not. Waiting for 1 more person, can mean ticking off the other people on the boat or even worse, 120 people waiting on the dock at our destination(this can apply to rides, shows, etc). So even though you want us to wait for you, don't take it personally if we don't. Once we set in motion the "casting off" procedure, we are not going to stop it.

4. opening a gate on your own, jumping a gate, or ducking ropes are the quickest way to make sure you don't get on the next boat. I am not kidding, if I see another kid jump a closed gate thinking he will get on my boat, I will sssooo make him go to the back of the line.

I don't mean for this to be a negative post, but I want to stress that Disney transportation is MASS TRANSPORTATION! It's not quick, it will never be quick, so get over it. If you want to watch the fireworks, then don't be on the dock at 8:00 waiting for a boat and complain about it when you can't watch them. If you have a hoop de doo reservation at 9:30 don't be on the dock at 9:15 at MK and expect to get there on time and be mad when it takes longer.

There are multiple operational hazards we go through every night. That wonderful electrical water pageant effectively stops all water traffic from 9:25-9:32ish and from 10:15-10:20ish because it goes through the water bridge during that time. We can't dock when it's performing, we can't leave when it's performing, and we can't be within 150 ft of it at anytime.

When ferryboats come through the water bridge from dry dock, we have to wait. If the ferry is by the contemporary, it issues an all call to hold traffic. We then have to sit while it gets all the way through the bridge before proceeding.

When the water level is low(like it is now) we have 3 routes operating off 2 docks. That means someone is gonna be waiting for an open dock, which throws off our cycles.

These are all things we deal with on a consistent basis and I know every other aspect of WDW has the same issues to put up with. They are things that are 99% out of our control. Yet we do our best to be as efficient as possible. For me, understanding why things happen helps me calm down when I'm upset. That's the reason why, when I know a delay has been very long, as the captain I will get on the mic and offer any guest the opportunity to talk with me about the delay. Not everyone does this and in fact I might be the only one, but I strongly believe that education yields understanding.

Now, what can you do to help your expectations? Be nice to the CMs who are transporting you. I have seen this theme multiple times in this thread and it really is true.

So be nice to CMs, and be patient!!! I have had many guests be friendly to me and it really really helps my day. So to all of you who have done that, I sincerely say thank you. Sometimes it's that funny little comment about the "cows in the pen" at the ferryboat that can cheer me up and make me laugh. That's infectious and effects the rest of my day!
Thanks zulemara for your post! I really enjoyed reading it and it didn't come across as negative. It was very informative & I appreciate your time in writing it. Alot of what you wrote about is common sense but we all know that is sometimes lacking in the public, esp the public on vacation!

Thanks for all you do as a CM. My family, who will ONLY vacation in the World or on DCL, appreciates all of the CM we meet!

PS: What is the "cows in the pen" comment that makes you laugh?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:48 PM   #282
bearlyanne
DIS Veteran

Zulamera- I worked for seven years on harbor cruise boats in Boston and your post is right on While, it wasn't Disney, we still had a very varied schedule which included commuter and airport runs, tourist and booze cruises, whale watches, and an national park ferry run.

Your comments sounded like something that I could have written, except it would be a LNG tanker tha would stop traffic instead of the water parade...and a busy sat night would leave us stranded with to many boats waiting for the same slip. I certainly didn't view your post as negative, infact you spoke the truth...

The main thing that (still) irks me, is sometimes people forget that we needed to do things to ensure SAFETY first. They always seemed to think that we WANTED to screw up their day or itinerary.

Thank you for posting the things that affect your trip, ie water level etc. I love hearing random facts like that and you are right, "most" people tend to chill if they understand that the situation is beyond your control.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #283
MapleGirl
Perpetual Planner

Not a CM (wish I was!!), but here's my tip:

When you are making your touring plans, plan twice as much time as you think you'll need to get from point A to point B. That way you won't be rushing and you'll have time to enjoy all the wonderful details that Disney is known for.

MapleGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #284
onejellyshelly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosse_lady72 View Post
SHHH... don't let anyone else on this secret. I feel like I save a lot of time doing this... it's only a couple of minutes but still, I love taking advantage of a situation while not breaking any rules just because someone wasn't paying attention.

I like the second tip too! People don't know, I'm not breaking any rules, but I am going to move all the way forward!
We are also goint in September, is this a good time to go??
09/09~POP
10/08~Movies

onejellyshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #285
saratogadreamin09
Derek Jeter = <33333333

Heres a few more I thought of :

-When your at the MK if you dont feel like going all the way back to your hotel for a rest he Contempoary is a good place to rest

-If you dont mind missing out on seeing Tinker Bell, Wishes can be enjoyed from outside MK. The crowds for Wishes can get crazy in the park so sometimes its nice to be outside watching with less crowds
saratogadreamin09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: