Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #211
hapandpam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by futreWDI View Post
Nope... the real baobob tree is on the left in front of Kusafari Bakery (if you are looking at safaris). It has a painted white trunk.[/U][/B]

There is a real baobob tree at AK? I thought they were all "imagineered."
Old 04-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #212
Tosie
1100 miles from "home"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce_Tigger View Post
Here's something that's less of a tip, but more of a request.

Please don't try to get us to "break character." Even those of us who aren't characters are involved with a storyline, especially the attractions CMs. I work on the safari and I always have people trying to get me to tell them "the real deal"

Yes, the safari is actually 2 weeks long (but its so fun you'll feel like it was only about 20 minutes)
Yes, those baobab trees and ostrich eggs are real (even though the backstage tour told you differently)
Those chains on the ground are only to get mud off our tires (but you'll notice that animals don't cross them into other areas)

There is only one Mickey Mouse and no amount of you winking or making sure there are only adults around will change that. He doesn't wear a costume, there is no one inside of him and the Cinderella you just saw was the same one you saw yesterday.

We love our jobs and we preserve the magic for everyone, not just those young enough not to know better. Of course, this doesn't mean that you'll never hear a backstage tip from a CM, but just because you tell me you've been to Disney 50 times and understand and there are no children around does not necessarily mean I'm going to break character to "let you in on it." If you want the real deal, take a backstage tour, buy a book or surf the net. It's all out there.
THANK YOU!!!! It's becasue of cast members like you we keep coming back again and again!!!
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #213
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokids0204 View Post
in Epcot there is a building called CLUB COOL, it has different Coke products from around the world, Beverly is a coke product from Italy, and it taste's nasty.
Kinda tastes like a cold carbonated espresso.

Here is a link to a survey re: CLUB COOL
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2133504
It is a carbonated beverage sold in Italy. It has bitters in it. It does taste rather strange. Like I said before, everyone should experience it once. My favorite is the wild cherry soda from somewhere like Taiwan or Taipei. I can't remember which country it is from actually.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:52 PM   #214
Buzz Litebeer
Not a Flying Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCLMan View Post
It is Coke from Italy (I think) and has a slightly strange taste.
No. It's a product of the Coca-Cola Company, but it is most certainly not Coke. Beverly is a clear, carbonated, bitter-sweet beverage marketed as a digestive aid and palate-cleanser (rather like a bitter version of Ginger Ale). It's an acquired taste; some quite enjoy it (I do).
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. This post was written while off the clock and off WDW property. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice and should not, if ever, be taken seriously by anyone.
Buzz Litebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #215
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Litebeer View Post
No. It's a product of the Coca-Cola Company, but it is most certainly not Coke. Beverly is a clear, carbonated, bitter-sweet beverage marketed as a digestive aid and palate-cleanser (rather like a bitter version of Ginger Ale). It's an acquired taste; some quite enjoy it (I do).
OT - do you like Moxie? my dad was the only person on the planet that i knew who actually liked the stuff.
d1gitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:13 AM   #216
Buzz Litebeer
Not a Flying Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1gitman View Post
OT - do you like Moxie? my dad was the only person on the planet that i knew who actually liked the stuff.
Never had it.
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. This post was written while off the clock and off WDW property. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice and should not, if ever, be taken seriously by anyone.
Buzz Litebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #217
the Dark Marauder
Proud Redhead
Time Travel Grand Master
It has achieved Legendary status

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3297 View Post
Don't put too much Beverly in your cup! If you have ever been to the Coca Cola museum in Atanta, it is the same Beverly. Everyone does need to try it at least once.
Indeed. I always explain it to my friends that it is best done as a "shot", since it's so horrid. I'm glad they offer small cups there!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #218
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Dark Marauder View Post
Bolded statement = 100% FALSE. All the theme parks (Any Disney, Any Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens, etc) will give you free ice water if you ask.
You should let the people at Universal know that - they charged me 25 cents.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:04 PM   #219
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

I like to watch people when they try Beverly for the first time. It is so much fun to watch the expressions on their faces.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #220
gk90
Mom to Sorcerer Mickey fan and Donald's #1 fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapandpam View Post
There is a real baobob tree at AK? I thought they were all "imagineered."
Picture please anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3297 View Post
I like to watch people when they try Beverly for the first time. It is so much fun to watch the expressions on their faces.
Here's a thread with loads of Beverly face photos:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....t=face+beverly
Old 04-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #221
61292cna
DIS Veteran

Thanks! An interesting thread.
61292cna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:26 PM   #222
Tara922c
DIS Veteran

Tip from an ex- CM...

Orlando's weather is unpredictable. In the winter months it can go from 80 one day, to 40 the next day. I highly suggest bringing jeans, and a light jacket unless it is the summer.

No matter what you do to prevent it, children are going to be tired, and cranky at the end of the day, which makes the parents tired and cranky as well. Try not to let other people's bad attitudes ruin your evening. If you stay until closing, how about finding a nice quiet spot (example between the emporium and crystal palace), and treating your kids to an ice cream, or tell them a story after the fireworks have ended. Let the massive crowds leave, and then make your way out of the parks. You will then (hopefully) insure a seat on the monorail, and insure a seat on the bus back to the resort.

Everyone there is on vacation, everyone there has spent a lot of money to be there, and everyone there wants to have a great time. The thousands of people there want to see the fireworks just like you.

Stop, and smell the roses. Go with the flow. Stop, and sit down for awhile, and just people watch!

Try to get early ADRs for Crystal Palace one morning. Since you will already be in the park for rope drop, go to the front of the castle, and just watch the people running into the park. I promise, it is one of the most magical things I have ever witnessed at MK.

Be humble. There are people at Disney from all walks of life. Some are millionaires, and some have been saving for years, and years, and years just to be able to come for a few days. Two stories I will never forget are... The Big Brothers, and Big Sisters from Toronto Canada, flew down with over a hundred disadvantaged children. They took an early morning flight, went to MK for the day, and then flew back at 11 PM at night. Those children were so sweet, and were so thankful to be there. The sponsers had been doing fundraisers for over a year for the trip. To me, it was just magical to see these kids faces that would otherwise never be able to go to Disney as a child. They were so thankful for just one day at Disney. Another late night I was chatting with this wonder guest. She told me that it was her dream to take her 8 children to Disney. She was from Alabama, they drove through the night to make it to MK for rope drop, stayed the whole day, and drove straight back to Alabama. She started crying, and told me she wished she could do more, but the one day trip cost her family over 1000 dollars, and that is all she could do. Just then her little boy walked up to her, gave her a hug, and said, "mommy, this has been the best day of my life, thank-you". It was so sweet!

Disney is magical, but it can put people in a horrid mood. Just take the time to stop, clear your mind, and try to have the best time ever. If you need to go back to your resort for a nap, go. If you planned to get up early, but your exhausted, sleep in. If you want to stay for fireworks, but all the kids and your spouse are cranky, hot, and ready to leave, go back to the resort. Remember, it is your vacation!!
Tara922c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #223
BradyBz12
1340.63 miles too far from the Fort

Wonderful post, Tara922c!
BradyBz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:45 PM   #224
ZeroToHero
DIS Veteran

Not a CM (not for lack of trying), but my tip would be: Don't ruin other people's ride experience. No flash photography, don't yell out things you learned from the Keys to the Kingdom (or whatever) tour. Keep the magic up for other people who shelled out just as much as you did (or more) to go to Disney for a while.

And I agree - spread pixie dust.

I still remember the guy from 2006 who gave my father and me Fastpasses to ride RnRc. I had never been on it before, and it was amazing. That guy was awesome, and I wish I could give him a hug.

Last edited by ZeroToHero; 04-14-2009 at 07:58 AM.
ZeroToHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #225
dbaggs
Earning My Ears

Great tips... I'm going to live by the ice cream tip!
dbaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: