Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #151
Disney-Kim

Always planning our next trip !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acourtwdw View Post
Not a CM, but have been to WDW a lot. Please use both sides of the register at CS places. The cashier will turn to the left, then the right to take orders. Why stand in a longer line if you don't have to?

Also, when they say use all available space, they mean it. Like outside of HM pass the turnstiles. Not sure why people always assume that all attracations have to be single file lines...
omg.....the HM line...that is soooo true. they always say fill in all the space...well I always walk by all the single file people and usually up to the front on the sides and squish in like I am being told. sooo many people give you dirty looks..but hey...I am not doing anythign wrong...just listening to directions....

just like when you go in the line with no people because everyone else was afraid.....I always get a kick out of that...gosh...that makes me sound evil.....

~ WDW Boardwalk Inn May 13 ~Disneyland GCH Sept 12 ~ Disneyland GCH Nov 2011 ~ CBR May 2010 ~Polynesian Sept 09 ~ POR May09 ~ VWL May08 ~ Polynesian May07 ~ BCV May06 ~ VWL May05 ~ VWL May04 ~ BWV May 03~ Yacht Club Concierge Sept 02 ~ Polynesian Concierge for our Honeymoon May 02 ~ Beach Club 09/01 ~ CSR, POR, POFQ, and CBR on our previous trips back to 1992~
Disney-Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:38 AM   #152
Bounce_Tigger
Your super-awesome safari guide for the next two weeks

Here's something that's less of a tip, but more of a request.

Please don't try to get us to "break character." Even those of us who aren't characters are involved with a storyline, especially the attractions CMs. I work on the safari and I always have people trying to get me to tell them "the real deal"

Yes, the safari is actually 2 weeks long (but its so fun you'll feel like it was only about 20 minutes)
Yes, those baobab trees and ostrich eggs are real (even though the backstage tour told you differently)
Those chains on the ground are only to get mud off our tires (but you'll notice that animals don't cross them into other areas)

There is only one Mickey Mouse and no amount of you winking or making sure there are only adults around will change that. He doesn't wear a costume, there is no one inside of him and the Cinderella you just saw was the same one you saw yesterday.

We love our jobs and we preserve the magic for everyone, not just those young enough not to know better. Of course, this doesn't mean that you'll never hear a backstage tip from a CM, but just because you tell me you've been to Disney 50 times and understand and there are no children around does not necessarily mean I'm going to break character to "let you in on it." If you want the real deal, take a backstage tour, buy a book or surf the net. It's all out there.
May 2007 - CSR with best friend and family
Fall 2008 College Program - Attractions
"Grow Eyes For Poachers"
Bounce_Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #153
Puccaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce_Tigger View Post
Here's something that's less of a tip, but more of a request.

Please don't try to get us to "break character." Even those of us who aren't characters are involved with a storyline, especially the attractions CMs. I work on the safari and I always have people trying to get me to tell them "the real deal"

Yes, the safari is actually 2 weeks long (but its so fun you'll feel like it was only about 20 minutes)
Yes, those baobab trees and ostrich eggs are real (even though the backstage tour told you differently)
Those chains on the ground are only to get mud off our tires (but you'll notice that animals don't cross them into other areas)

There is only one Mickey Mouse and no amount of you winking or making sure there are only adults around will change that. He doesn't wear a costume, there is no one inside of him and the Cinderella you just saw was the same one you saw yesterday.

We love our jobs and we preserve the magic for everyone, not just those young enough not to know better. Of course, this doesn't mean that you'll never hear a backstage tip from a CM, but just because you tell me you've been to Disney 50 times and understand and there are no children around does not necessarily mean I'm going to break character to "let you in on it." If you want the real deal, take a backstage tour, buy a book or surf the net. It's all out there.
From a CM fan...I want to thank you! It's CM's likeyou that make our trips so very magical!!
2008 10 Nights at POP
2009 2 weeks at POP April 22-May6
2010 10 days @CBR
Puccaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #154
XYSRUS
DIS Veteran

I always thought those trees were real! I just feel like I've been told there's no S.C.!
XYSRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #155
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlioz70 View Post
I should have clarified... it's water from the soda fountain machine... not from the tap. But if you order a water they'll give you a bottle. If you order tap water they give you the water from the machine and that's free!

I'm not a big fan of the water from the fountains (but when I'm thirsty anything works), however, the stuff from the machines seems to taste much better to me; I'm not sure where it comes from (as in, whether it's tap or filtered).

I am willing to bet that water from the soda fountain is still tap water. It may be filtered, not sure. Even when we get soda from a restaurant we can taste it if it is really horrid water. There are some towns in our area where the tap water is bad and the soda tastes awful, usually a bitter taste mixed in.
d1gitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #156
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinch View Post
Actually, a tip about Cast Members:

One of the things our family does is carry some note cards with us to write down the names of CMs who go above and beyond, and "shine" at what they're doing. We put down their name, where they were working, and brief description of what was exemplary. We then make a stop at guest relations, on the way out of the park or resort, ask to see a manager, and "turn them in." It never fails to delight Guest Services, and it's good training for my kids in noticing what there is around them to be grateful for.
Great idea, we will do this on our future trips. What we currently do is give very large tips to CM's who do an excellent job at our ADR's. We have tipped as much as 100% of the bill for outstanding service.

One time the CM had the chef come out and talk to my DS and a little while later the chef came back with a home made dipping sauce made from the description of 'nonnas' dipping sauce back home.

Another time the CM overheard our other DS wanting something that was not on the menu and when our food was served, the CM brought both what our DS ordered and a surprise of what he was asking Daddy (me) about. You should have seen the eyes light up and smile break through on our DS's face. That was the 100% tip meal.
d1gitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #157
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiesmom0116 View Post
You just tell the server to use your dining credits for their meal. They don't mind it at all once you tell them why. They get a big tip out of it from the non paying table. i have never had them turn me down, not did they turn down the people that did this for us the first time at Sci Fi.:
Please be careful with this "tip"
There was a time when it was true however if a CM does this now and is reported he or she will be reprimanded. It is not allowed any longer and is considered to be a serious breach of conduct.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #158
Buzz Litebeer
Not a Flying Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
...the only tip I have for people is to not go expecting a perfect trip, because if your expectations are too high you're not going to have fun. Disney has it tough. They put themselves in a situation where 200% perfect service is expected and not everything can go right. I have seen many guests breakdown for things as simple as a food stand running out of ketchup or the lines being shut down for characters.
This is probably the single biggest and best tip on the thread. Seriously.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab0ad View Post
Go to the left??? Seriously? Do people subliminally pick "right" for some reason or are the left lines built to be shorter?
Both sides are often the same length, but yes, when given a choice, most folks will go to the right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fall08CP View Post
You win more flies with honey than vinegar... have a positive attitude and you will have a much better time.

Make sure your expectations are reasonable.
Great tips. I like to say that requests are usually cheerfully honored, while demands will be pointedly ignored. On the other hand...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLynn View Post
A request is merely a request. It does not guarantee that you will get what you are asking for.
Also true. Hope for the best, but be ready to accept a "no."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce_Tigger View Post
Please don't try to get us to "break character." Even those of us who aren't characters are involved with a storyline, especially the attractions CMs.
In a similar vein... It can be hard for the CMs to keep character when you're happily dashing the magic to pieces on the ground for your children. Please avoid saying things like "It's all fake" or "They're just people in costumes" or "No, we're not in Africa, we're in Florida."
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. This post was written while off the clock and off WDW property. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice and should not, if ever, be taken seriously by anyone.
Buzz Litebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #159
bgohre
Always be the second one in the outhouse. It's going to smell anyway so you might as well have a warm seat.

Ditch the schedule.

I've seen so many people rushing to get here or there and have heard people talking about how we have to get on this so we can get to that.

We have had excellent experiences with CM's and charactors because we simply slow down a little and enjoyed the park.

Example: Last trip we were at MK, just starting our day and decided to go into the shop where you pick up your Photo Pass pictures (can't remember the name right now). Well we were in no hurry, we had no agenda that day so we decided to see if they had any good pins to trade. We stopped and talked to a CM traded a few pins and my family started looking at others pins. We were all done and just kind of loitering around when the 1st CM we talked to came out and said, "you're still here". I said we were and that we were just kind of hanging out and he told me to get my family and meet him around the corner. We all got together and said he would be right back. He came back about 2 minutes later with Snow White. We were kind of back around the corner so nobody saw us. She was on her way out front but he brought her out to see my 2 year old daughter. She stayed with us for about 5 minutes and knelt down on the ground with my daughter and let my daughter show her all her pins. It may have been the cutest thing I've ever seen.

I can come up with about 2 dozen more stories just like this because we slowed down and simply enjoyed the park.
bgohre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #160
disneymomofmyca
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYSRUS View Post
I always thought those trees were real! I just feel like I've been told there's no S.C.!
Me too! I took pics of the ostrich eggs!
Old 04-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #161
AndreaDBfan
Earning My Ears

These are all so great, thanks! Our trip is coming up very fast, and as a first timer, I'm worried about seeing everything. I WILL try to remember to slow down, relax and just have fun. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #162
Bounce_Tigger
Your super-awesome safari guide for the next two weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymomofmyca View Post
Me too! I took pics of the ostrich eggs!
Sorry if I stole your innocence! They ARE real, just like Mickey is real!

(Although, I will say that there's a baobab tree near Tusker house that is *very* real)
May 2007 - CSR with best friend and family
Fall 2008 College Program - Attractions
"Grow Eyes For Poachers"
Bounce_Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #163
Yarna
Wishing I were at WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDBfan View Post
These are all so great, thanks! Our trip is coming up very fast, and as a first timer, I'm worried about seeing everything. I WILL try to remember to slow down, relax and just have fun. Thank you!
There's no possible way you can see everything, so don't even try. Make a list of your must-sees and make sure you schedule time to enjoy them. You'll enjoy your trip so much more, and you'll know that when you return to WDW you'll have that much more to see.

October 24-31, 2013 - Coronado Springs Resort
March 2013 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
October 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter
March 2012 - Caribbean Beach
October 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
February 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
April 2010 - Coronado Springs
November 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
January 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
April 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
September 2007 - Carribean Beach
Yarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #164
diskids2
Not above grovelling for a tag

[QUOTE=Wait, I have another tip. If you're buying ice cream of some sort at a multiple line stand (such as Ahola to get Dole Whips), step back for a second and watch the different people get served. Go in the line where the CM is serving the ice cream that is the biggest.[/QUOTE]

Oh I love this one....will use it for sure!
Old 04-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #165
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Per this thread - on our next trip, I have scheduled between 30 and 45 minutes each day to "relax and have fun".

SkierPete

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: