Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #301
juliebee
Mouseketeer

The sliders on the first floor rooms have the lock on the handle and an additional lock higher up. I doubt a young child could do it because it is too high. I have a 6 year old and he wouldn't be able to unlock the higher lock.

The noise is very easy to get use to. I was worried about the ferry horn since we were in Hawaii, but honestly I think I noticed it for the first hour we were there and then didn't notice it for the entire week we were there. It definitely did not keep any of us up at night.

last trip: March 20-28, 2009 - Poly LVC
next trip: Spring Break 2011
Old 04-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #302
lissiesmum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezysMom View Post
We have stayed on both sides of Figi. On the Luau side you can hear them but it is really not so bad. We thought it added to the atmosphere. DD slept just fine.

On the marina side you can barely hear them unless you leave the sliding door open. But you do hear the boat horn blowing but after the first night we got used to it. Again, DD slept fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebee View Post
The sliders on the first floor rooms have the lock on the handle and an additional lock higher up. I doubt a young child could do it because it is too high. I have a 6 year old and he wouldn't be able to unlock the higher lock.

The noise is very easy to get use to. I was worried about the ferry horn since we were in Hawaii, but honestly I think I noticed it for the first hour we were there and then didn't notice it for the entire week we were there. It definitely did not keep any of us up at night.
Thank you both, and good mornning Poly friends

Glad to hear about the locks on the sliding doors...sounds safe enough not to worry about. The ferry horns I can definitely handle. We had a courtyard view at WL and we were all the way at the end near Bay Lake and I did hear the ferry horns through the sliding doors. It was a relaxing sound that I enjoyed nightly. The EWP on the other hand... The first night we were there we had a long day and went to bed early and I was jolted out of bed with a horrendous noise and it was the EWP. Even with the sliders closed , it sounded like we were right out there on the barges with them! My DD slept right through it, but I got up, walked out to the balcony and enjoyed the show (and waited for it every night before I went to bed!). I think at the WL, the sound must bounce off the hotel because of its layout??? Don't get me wrong, I love the EWP and watched it every night, but it is so loud at the WL!!!

As for the drums, I think as long as it is faint, it is something we can handle Looks like the Poly is completely full my week anyway so who knows where we'll end up?

P.S....2 weeks from today! (not that I'm excited or anything) (wait til I do my single digit dance! )
April 2011 - Easter at the Dolphin, Epcot fireworks view
February 2010 - Polynesian Resort, Tuvalu TPV
April 2009 - Polynesian Resort, Hawaii GV
September 2008, MNSSHP - Wilderness Lodge, Courtyard view

(me 41) (DH 41) (DD 8) (DS 10)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2009, 07:35 AM   #303
lissiesmum
DIS Veteran

ok, so I'm dreaming about watching the fireworks from the beach...I was just curious if i didn't actually watch it from within the MK, would I be missing something? I know we'd miss Tinkerbelle, but anything else? And just to confirm, if you go down to the beach by the main pool, they pipe in the music there, right? I'd rather watch from the Poly (with my little cup of Dole Whip ) and stroll back to our room without having to fight crowds to get back....

Old 04-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #304
BreezysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissiesmum View Post
ok, so I'm dreaming about watching the fireworks from the beach...I was just curious if i didn't actually watch it from within the MK, would I be missing something? I know we'd miss Tinkerbelle, but anything else? And just to confirm, if you go down to the beach by the main pool, they pipe in the music there, right? I'd rather watch from the Poly (with my little cup of Dole Whip ) and stroll back to our room without having to fight crowds to get back....
If you have never seen Wishes from in the park, I say watch it there once. There is something magical about it. We will now always watch Wishes from the Poly beach now or stay in the park and ride some things for a while wjile the masses head out.

I think both experiences are a treat either way!
12/09 Poly CL
12/11 Poly CL
8/12 Poly C
10/14 GF

Old 04-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #305
BreezysMom
DIS Veteran

Oh my Poly friends! Things almost went very awry yesterday! DH, DD and I were at the mall shopping for some warm weather clothing and Easter dresses and so forth. For some reason, while in the Ralph Lauren section ironically, my husband said we should try the GF this trip instead of the Poly .

OK, I love the GF so I don't want any GF lovers jumping on me!

But I said, No, I really want to stick with Poly. We are staying Club Level, the weather is going to be warm and DD loves the pool and we are familiar with the Poly. I am not ready to explore new resorts. But he insists I look into it. So I look into it and do some exploring around the board and so forth. And while I admit, I like the resort and the grounds are beautiful...it just is not right for this trip.

This morning I declared we are staying put! DD was pleased. At this point DH was indifferent. It must have been a momentary lapse.

While I do expect that we will stay at GF at some time. It will not be in September.
12/09 Poly CL
12/11 Poly CL
8/12 Poly C
10/14 GF

Old 04-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #306
**tinkerbell**
Mouseketeer

Does anybody know if early check in is avaliable (at a surcharge) - i was hoping for 10am? thanks x x

Offsite June 2005
All star movies June 2006
POP September 2007
Coronado Springs Aug 2010, Wedding Day 31/08/10
Old 04-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #307
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh my Poly friends! Things almost went very awry yesterday! DH, DD and I were at the mall shopping for some warm weather clothing and Easter dresses and so forth. For some reason, while in the Ralph Lauren section ironically, my husband said we should try the GF this trip instead of the Poly .

OK, I love the GF so I don't want any GF lovers jumping on me!

But I said, No, I really want to stick with Poly. We are staying Club Level, the weather is going to be warm and DD loves the pool and we are familiar with the Poly. I am not ready to explore new resorts. But he insists I look into it. So I look into it and do some exploring around the board and so forth. And while I admit, I like the resort and the grounds are beautiful...it just is not right for this trip.

This morning I declared we are staying put! DD was pleased. At this point DH was indifferent. It must have been a momentary lapse.

While I do expect that we will stay at GF at some time. It will not be in September.
How hilarious that he brought this up in the Ralph Lauren section
I'm a GF lover and I totally understand your need for the Poly
Glad you're getting your way on this
Old 04-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #308
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by **tinkerbell** View Post
Does anybody know if early check in is avaliable (at a surcharge) - i was hoping for 10am? thanks x x
Hi.
You will be able to check in at 10am but your room may not be ready. I would recommend using online check-in and giving your estimated arrival time as 10am. This should increase your chances of having a room ready for you.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #309
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Smile

Hi everyone

I'm at AKL now and it's amazing. We love it here.

Check in to Poly tomorrow.

Can't write much since I'm typing on my iPhone.

I'll post a review when I can.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
Old 04-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #310
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
Hi everyone

I'm glad you're off to a good start! Can't wait to hear more.

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL
Old 04-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #311
PolyAddict
Our City Our Home...Finish Strong

Quote:
Hi everyone

Glad you are enjoying it, we loved our stay there back in 2007 even if we were looking at the parking lot. I would love to do CL there, it just doesn't seem to be in the cards with a family of 5. hhhmmm wonder what a 1 bed villa with concierge goes for? Hope you have lots of pics.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #312
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
If you have never seen Wishes from in the park, I say watch it there once. There is something magical about it. We will now always watch Wishes from the Poly beach now or stay in the park and ride some things for a while wjile the masses head out.

I think both experiences are a treat either way!
I agree with seeing Wishes from inside the park at least once. There are some effects besides Tinkerbelle that can only be seen inside the MK. For the most part though, we enjoy it more from the Polynesian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
How hilarious that he brought this up in the Ralph Lauren section
I'm a GF lover and I totally understand your need for the Poly
Glad you're getting your way on this

We love the Polynesian and the GF. One great advantage of both is their proximity to each other. It is so easy to dine or shop at the other resort.

Quote:
Hi everyone

I'm glad you're enjoying AKL. It's beautiful, isn't it? Have fun at the Polynesian.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #313
TJM1976
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissiesmum View Post

I recommend watching Wishes inside MK. At least for the first time. Otherwise you miss the music thats sync with the fireworks.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #314
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandym718 View Post
fingers crossed it will still be great this year!! All this crowd level talk has me so nervous, and wondering if we should have gone the last weekend in April instead. But, what's done is done and none of it makes any sense to me anyhow. So we'll see!!
I think you should be fine, but then again I haven't been here on the Resorts Board much lately; is there talk of heavy crowd levels for this May? Please come back and let us know how it was, ok??

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
I swear I think my favorite time is the summer. k&a&c'smom and I have talked about this before... there's something extra-magical about summers in WDW
Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Yes, I agree - the summer has a special magic for us, as well! I have often said that there is almost an electrical feel to the parks, especially at night - with the heat, the crowds, the late hours! For most people I have probably just defined their nightmare.

We have very humid summers here, too, so it doesn't wilt us like it does most people. We get up early, do the first couple of hours at the early entry park, head back to the resort for a swim or laundry. Have an early dinner, then head back to the parks for night-time fun. Good times, good times!

ETA - we like the off-season, too, as a PP poster said - we enjoy pretty much any time of year!
You know, I totally agree with this! I've been to WDW in the summer several times and there IS an electricity in the air. The parks are open later, everything's all lit up (I LOVE the lights in the sidewalk in Epcot), I love the late-night swimming, etc. I just really can't take the humidity. High temps without humidity is fine with me, but when that humidity is high... *ugh*!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Terry....so you are doing the WBTA??? Us too!!! Can't wait. I thanked you back on the other thread for putting the whole Poly thread together.....it is great. We are headed down to WDW on the 25th of April for 3 nights and to Disney's Vero Beach resort for 3 nights. Can't wait. I did not request any specific building for our GV room...I think I may just roll with punches and take whatever we get. As of yesterday they seemed to now be sold out for the dates we are going. I did a dummy booking to see if any CL rooms were available and there were no rooms available at all, even for just 2 adults. I know rooms open up again sometimes but I think the resort will be pretty full, especially with grad night that Friday and Saturday night we are there.

I usually see you on the cruise board but glad I came over to check out the Poly thread.

MJ
Hi MJ! Yes, we're on the WBTA!!! We booked it a few months ago, and I can't wait. I hope you have a great time at Vero Beach and at the Polynesian! I've been homesick for the Polynesian lately, I really need to book something. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Hubby and I stayed at the Yacht Club a few times without the kids....a beautiful resort and very nice. I love the whole Nautical feel about the Yacht and Beach Clubs......love, love, love Stormalong Bay and Beaches and Cream Shop for the best ice cream and burger type foods!!!

MJ
I still want to try out the Yacht Club one of these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcKahuna View Post
I like the 2nd floor myself. You get the higher view, without the balcony (I'm afraid of heights LOL).
You could just NOT step out onto the balcony if you were in a 3rd floor room you know.

(Just kidding with you...Hi DAVID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
Old 04-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #315
lissiesmum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJM1976 View Post
I recommend watching Wishes inside MK. At least for the first time. Otherwise you miss the music thats sync with the fireworks.
okay, so you can't hear the music from the fireworks? I could have sworn I read that they pipe it in to the beach.....I decided to do the fireworks once from the park. We have CM reservations for six o'clock, so I figure by the time we're done eating and head back to the park, that might be a good night to catch them there, plus the next day I have planned as a Poly day, with no parks, that way if DD is up a lot later, hopefully she can sleep in a little later or at least relax around the Poly if she's tired

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: