Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
TinkOhio
DIS Veteran

Marco Island Questions

I'm posting to help a friend who just booked a last-minute trip to Marco Island. Does anyone have any suggestions for fun things to do while on the island that won't break the bank? My friend has neevr been there before. She booked a suite on the beach, and will be traveling with her DH and DD's 13 and 15. This will be their first real beach vacation.

TIA for any help!
TinkOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
The Princess
Smiles everytime a check is written
Would go to Disney in a heartbeat
Likes rootbeer floats at the MK

I'm thinking of booking a vaca there too. Where is she staying at?
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
sneadae
Mouseketeer

Quite honestly, there is not much to do on Marco aside from going to the beach. I think there are some local businesses that might offer some day excursions, but I really don't remember much about them. We've been there a few times, and from what we could tell, the summer months are very slow and considered off-peak. During the fall and winter months, it is considered peak season on the island.

There is very little nightlife and the island pretty much goes dark after sunset. If you are looking for things to do, you may need to venture into the Naples area.

It is a beautiful place to vacation if you are looking for a quiet, laid back beach vacation. We love it there!

Next trip: December at Bay Lake Tower
sneadae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
chigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneadae View Post
Quite honestly, there is not much to do on Marco aside from going to the beach. I think there are some local businesses that might offer some day excursions, but I really don't remember much about them. We've been there a few times, and from what we could tell, the summer months are very slow and considered off-peak. During the fall and winter months, it is considered peak season on the island.

There is very little nightlife and the island pretty much goes dark after sunset. If you are looking for things to do, you may need to venture into the Naples area.

It is a beautiful place to vacation if you are looking for a quiet, laid back beach vacation. We love it there!
True.
We used to go all the time in the 90's when my parents had a condo there. It is beautiful there, but once about 6-7pm hits, DEAD.

There was a good, cheaper place to eat called The Snook Inn that was nice...lots of Jimmy Buffett music and relaxed atmosphere...you could also tell them to take a quick roadtrip to the Everglades. Neat stuff to see there.
chigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:16 AM   #5
buzz5985
DIS Veteran

My parents went to Marco Island every year for a couple of months. I don't know how much it costs - but there is a boat that goes to Key West. When I was able to visit my parents they took us on a tour of the Everglades which my DS loved. It was a short drive. You took a tram out into the Everglades, it was very interesting. Also went on an Airboat ride.
1976 - Off Site, 1987 - Poly, 1988 - Poly,Treehouse, 2001 - AsM, 2002 - AsM, AKL, 2003 - Wonder, VWL, 2004 - HH, AKL, BWV, 2005 - HH, BWV, 2006 - OKW, WL, BCV, 2008 - AKL, OKW, HH, 2009 - BLT, BWV 2010 - SSR, 2011 - VB, HH, 2012 - HH, BWV, THV, 2013/14 - OKW, 2014 - VGC
buzz5985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
sneadae
Mouseketeer

I second the Snook Inn...it is a lot of fun for dinner/drinks. Good food and fun atmosphere!

Next trip: December at Bay Lake Tower
sneadae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
TinkOhio
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the replies. My friend is staying at the Hilton on the beach. They are planning on doing some shelling and visiting the everglades. They will be on Marco Island for 5 days, then they're spending 3 days at WDW. They're very excited about taking a relaxing beach vacation.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
TinkOhio
DIS Veteran

Bump!
Old 04-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

We've gone to Marco for the last two years and we're going again this May. The beach is wonderful. Shelling is easy to do. Plus you can sign up for day trips, hourly trips, parasailing, jet skis, etc right on the beach. There is a little movie theater where you can eat while you watch the movie. You are not too far from the Everglades if you want to take a trip there. We did an airboat ride (not in the Everglades) and it was okay, not great.

You can see dolphins and other animals swimming by from the beach or even in the water.

My favorite thing to do? Get up about 8, eat breakfast in the hotel, head out to the beach with a book and a towel. Get my umbrella and chair set up (comes with the resort stay - some require you pay extra for these) and spend most of the day under the umbrella, going into the water every so often, heading over to the hotel room for lunch and heading back to the beach.

We found some really neat shells over by Tiger Tail Beach ( you do have to pay to park here - or you can walk from your resort).

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #10
TinkOhio
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much! I'm forwarding your post to her.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: