Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
naomi78155
SAHM 2two. LOVE DiS!

EarPlanes for Airplanes

Does anyone have any experience with the Earplanes? They are little earplugs that are supposed to be worn during a flight to reduce ear pressure and pain.
DS 4 has never flown and is super sensitive to noise and I think the pressure on the plane may bother him.
I think they have them at Walgreens and online.

Thanks
naomi78155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
ckrum
Mouseketeer

I love them & never fly w/out them. I also take an extra pair for DD8. Sometimes she needs them & sometimes she is ok, but it is worth it to have them handy. Without them, my ear pain is extreme (imagine a sharp knife stuck in each ear & twisted). W/them flying is very managable & comfortable. Good luck!
ckrum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
momto2inKC
DIS Veteran

My dd and I use these on every flight we go on. For the most part, they have worked wonderfully! On 1 flight we both still had extreme pain, I was in tears it was so bad. I'm not sure what caused this though because we used them the same as always.

5/05 Pop, 12/06 POFQ, 9/07 Pop, 9/08 All Star Movies, 4/09 CBR/AKV/Disney Wonder, 12/11 Pop, 11/13 All Star Music, 11/14 CSR
momto2inKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

My DS7 uses these every time we fly and they work great!

laughinplace199 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

We use them too and recommend them. Just be sure to get the youth sized or they will be too big and hurt his ears. I've bought them in WalMrt and at CVS.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #6
naomi78155
SAHM 2two. LOVE DiS!

Thanks! I may head out to find some this afternoon!

Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
phins_jazy
You might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters. It's just something that he does in the sun. Don't worry about it.

They work wonderfully for us as well. I think I saw some at walmart the other day.

phins_jazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

My 4 year old loves them, after having one painful experience (out of about 6 flights). You do need to put them in about 30 minutes before you start descent, so pay attention to what's going on during the flight. DS now likes to just wear them for the entire flight, and that's fine, except he then puts headphones over his ears (the big kind, not the little airplane-given/sold ones) and it kind of knocks them out.

If DS is sensitive to noise, you might get him some big headphones with space around the ears so he can take care of both things at once. To me it doesn't make sense, it doesn't seem the earplanes can work with headphones covering, but DS says it does.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #9
rabx5
My husband doesn't fit in the overhead compartment- I tried

I can't speak for lil ones as my youngest is 16, but my DH swears by them and uses them every flight. I am sure they make them for lil ones.

We got ours at Walmart.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
waltdisneyworlddreamer
100% WDW Fanatic

We have never had any real problems with our ears, but this last time that we flew, DS, 10, had an ear infection. We went to the dr. the day before we left and the dr. said he had a lot of fluid, so I was very worried about the flight. However, he used the EarPlanes and had no trouble whatsoever. He sometimes gets a little stuffiness, but had absolutely no complaints this trip. They worked great!!!
November 2005 All Star Movies
November 2007 Pop Century
March 2009 Gaylord Palms
September 2010 Pop Century & DISNEY CRUISE LINE!!!
June 2012 Disney Dream DCL & Magic Kingdom
June 2014 Disneyland!!!!

It is impossible to be a perfect parent, but there are a million ways to be a good one!
waltdisneyworlddreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #11
Kanga+2Roos
Mouseketeer

Start looking for the child size version ASAP! The majority of the stores only carry the adult size or universal (which are the big ones). Since I don't have a CVS by me I had to run to the nearest airport to pick up 2 pairs just to make sure I had them! I didn't think I would have problems finding them so by the time I figured it out it was too late to order them online.

We just flew last week & the child size earplanes worked like a charm for my boys--just make sure you twist them in securely & keep those little fingers away from them!
Kanga+2Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #12
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

drugstore.com has had them every time I looked.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 04-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

I have worn them for years. They are awesome. They are sold many places now...airports to WalGreens, CVS, WalMart, RiteAid, Target...everywhere.

I believe you can take them out an hour after take off and put them back in an hour before landing. If I am going a short distance 4 hours or less, I do not even take them out. Only problem with that is you cannot listen to headphones....but I just usually read or fall asleep. My trips from the East coast to the West coast, I will take them out. Just remember to put them back that hour before landing.

I also buy a set for each way. I believe it states you can use them for round trip but I don't.

KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #14
naomi78155
SAHM 2two. LOVE DiS!

Thanks. I am already having a hard time finding the child sized ones. I found the adult at Walmart and didn't find any at Target. Maybe the drugstores will have them.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #15
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Here. Looks like you have time for the shipment if you can't find it locally (but I don't know where you live).

We don't need them for take-off... And DS does wear his with headphones (he uses hubby's big ones with room around the ears) and they still work and he can hear. They don't stay in perfectly with the headphones which decreases their effectiveness, but the only thing that has caused a problem is when I've forgotten to put them in his ears half an hour before descent OR they get knocked out as descent is going on...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: