Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #31
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

My thoughts:

1. Everyone should be able to get insurance at a reasonable cost for major medical.
2. Preentative health care, such as annual physical should be covered 100% on an plan with no co-pay or deductible.
3. Medical expenses should be paid out of pocket for general office visits (not preventative) for colds/sore throats, etc.
4. People should have a vested interest in their health care and there should be percent participation for all covered items, up to a maximum cap per year.
5. If you smoke or you are not on an active cessation program and fail to quit, you should be surcharged.
6. If you are obese or are not on a program to lose weight and fail to meet goals of weight loss, you should be surcharged.
7. More quick-care/minute clinic facilities should be opened, these should be used for colds/sore throats.

There are other things that are a bit more difficult to tackle, like people who use ambulance services for taxi's, people who go to the hospital for colds, etc, but the above I think would at least help a bit.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #32
Janina47
Earning My Ears

Love the idea of more gym classes and portion control! two simple ways to encourage being more healthy and active!!
Janina47 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #33
Cannot_Wait_4Disney
Ok all you A cattle, get in the chute. Moooo. Moooo.
It has a kick. Otherwise, yummy yummy.
Onions rule!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
A 3 1/2 year old thread on health care resurrected by a new user who's only posts (4) are all on health care?

IT LIVES!!! IT LIVES!!!! And now, resurrected a second time after being dead for four months.
Cannot_Wait_4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #34
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Anybody else suspect it may be time for some serious investigative reporting into the salaries, bonuses and benefits of execs at the insurance companies? Rates have been skyrocketing, particularly the last five years or so, with no corresponding pay increases to medical professionals that I'm aware of. Considering what we all know about the pigs feeding at the trough in the banking system, would it be so unexpected to find execs at the health insurers living high on the hog, leaving quite a bit of destruction in their wake using rising medical costs as their perfect cover?

Last edited by cabanafrau; 04-08-2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: totally missed the zombie invasion
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #35
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
I wish we could turn back the clock and undo insurance. Or at least insurance in todays sense.

If it weren't for insurance and people had to pay out of pocket for everything, a pair of Tylenol in a hospital wouldn't cost $75. Health insurance should have been like car insurance is, for emergencies, not for oil changes or fresh tires.

Alas when everyone (or most everyone) has the attitude "insurance will cover it" people don't shop around, they don't ask questions, they just hand over a card and turn off their brains.

So how do we fix the broken system we have?

Competition. Number one, let insurance companies sell across state lines. Car insurance rates were cut in half when this happened in that industry.

Continuing in competition, allow other health care professionals to handle things only MD's can right now. Ie. a RN writing Rx's for things like strep throat.

Allow charities back into health care. Eliminate massive red tape and paperwork so more of the health care dollars go to treating patients and not complying with yet another useless bureaucratic rule with no basis in common sense.

Allow competition for pharmaceuticals by reducing costs for bringing products to market. It would let the little guys compete again and it would lead to better and more choices for consumers and MD's.

As it stands, the big companies have a virtual monopoly because no one else can afford to comply with current FDA regulations.

Until we address these cost issues, we can't fix it, and NOTHING that those in washington are suggesting will do anything to improve access, costs or care.

It's a terrible situation.
In general I agree, but I wonder what would be considered routine maintenance and what an emergency?
Because diabetes treatment or seissure control meds or blood pressure meds do not sound like "emergent" care, but they are expensive conditions to treat month in and month out for a lifetime.
DD requires monthly injections that are about $500 a shot for the non FDA approved option. If this med ever stops being effective or the doctors/insurance company refuse to allow it, the only other option is the FDA approved version at $2,000 a shot. It's certainly not an emergency life threatening situation, but it's not something she can go without either.
We've got a good handle on treatment for many medical conditions today that were not available a generation ago, but many are not quick fixes and require lengthy or lifelong treatment.
I'm just wondering how these would play out in health insurance based on emergency medical care only?? Is there an allowance for situations like that?
Old 04-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #36
LuvinLucifer
Mouseketeer

I think we should look at Germany and Singapore as models to follow. They have the best working systems in the world because manage to avoid the pitfalls of both free-market and single-payer systems. Patients have a large degree of control and responsibility in their own healthcare, but there are price controls and basic minimum requirements that prevent the insured from being exploited and picking up the slack for everyone else. Waiting lists and and going broke due to illness are pretty much unheard of.
LuvinLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #37
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabx5 View Post
People who use the ER for stuff they can be treated for at a physicians office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
This I agree with 100%. A few months ago I took my mom into the er on a Sunday afternoon with chest pains. It was like a party. There were people cutting up and laughing. The people they were there with-the patients were acting up too. They could have waited until the next day to see the GP. The patients had a runny nose.
People use the er as a primary doctor visit.

Some folks aren't going to pay for health insurance no matter how affordable it is.

I worked at a place once that offered Blue Cross/Blue Shield to hourly employees at a GREAT cost, as I recall it worked out to less than $8 a week. About 10% of my hourly employees purchased it. They were used to using the ER, and that's what they did.

One time an 8 month pregnant employee asked me for health insurance enrollment forms. I asked if she was expecting to get the birth expenses covered. When she said yes, I told her that was likely a pre-existing condition that may not be covered. As I handed her the forms she said, "Nevermind, Uncle Sam will take care of it."
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #38
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysnkaysmom View Post
I just wish there was a way everyone could have insurance.... that's it...

Insurance is not healthcare.

I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy.
I'll think about that tomorrow.....After all, tomorrow is another day"
Scarlett O'Hara
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: