Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
srwarden1928
DIS Veteran

first trip to Disney

I am posting this on the college board because I want to get responses from college students. DW and I, 40s adults, are taking our neice, who is a 21yo junior to WDW for her first trip this summer. I went to Disney in college and as a small child, but that was awhile ago. I am interested to know from the college crowd what your parents might skip that interests you at Disney. I am hoping that DN will catch the Disney magic that I appreciate. I will be riding the coasters and other thrill rides with her. I just dont want to skip something that will be magical for her.

Feb 1972, Feb 1974, Feb 1976, Feb 1978, Mar 1985 (EP only), Mar 1990 (EP only), Mar 2008, Oct 2008 (MNSSHP only)

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/3va2jxzqyyfdfk89.png[/img]
srwarden1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Goofster18
Mouseketeer

I went as a child also, and even now I still go to Fantasyland and ride Dumbo, Peter Pan, etc. They are cheesy sometimes, but it's Disney, and it's the ONLY place I can be totally excited to see Winnie the Pooh or Mickey and feel like a kid. And everyone else around you is the same way. If you have a guide book, then it is nice to go through that together and pick out rides. Don't dis-count something if it seems really cheesy, but I still do both Fantasyland and then the thrill rides. So yea, I'm 18, almost 19. slight age difference, but that's what I still love. and the popular timeless ones, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, forced on It's a Small World at least once (its a classic and it comes with it's own catchy song and headache, what could be better?!)
Have a Magical Day (and a fun trip!!)
Goofster18
Goofster18 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
VivaGaia
Earning My Ears

My first visit to Disney World was not until I was in college, during my CP, and some of the things I enjoyed the most were the shows. Wishes and Spectromagic are still my favorites, and Mickey's Philharmagic is great. Classics like the Hall of Presidents can be appreciated more at this age, and I remember watching the past presidents in awe (and I don't even like history!). Like Goofster said, don't forget about the cheesy rides. I'm still upset that I never got to do the Dumbo ride.

Hope you guys have fun!
VivaGaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
DarthBob_2005
Mouseketeer

Disneyland....oh gosh...I can't remember how young I was. 1 year old? 2 years old? I just have very vague memories, and I remember going like every year before I started school. I just remember stuff like the electric parade, and having ice cream on Main Street USA. One time I got sick and they took me to some clinic where I met Pinocchio. Then they rushed me back to the park.

WDW, I've never actually been to before. I've always gone to Disneyland since its closer. So I'm really looking forward to doing the CP there, and this will be my first.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
savannahjean85
going to college to one day work for the mouse

Peter Pan's Flight is a personal favorite of mine.
Don't forget photos with characters, I remember when I was like 14 I would not have gotten a photo with them but now it is one of my favorite parts.
Maybe to a fun theme dinner like 50's Prime Time Cafe, where they pick at you (all in good fun).
Also since she is 21, maybe a fun thing to do would be go to Jellyrolls at the boardwalk. It is a piano bar which is a fun place.
savannahjean85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
DarthBob_2005
Mouseketeer

In regards to a 21 year old going to Disney the first time, idk anyone who has gone that old for the first time, but I can tell some stories about when I went on my senior trip to Disneyland and some people were 18. Some of the guys were disappointed, mainly because Splash mountain and Space mountain were closed So when we got back, some of them complained that "it sucked." For me, I still had a great time, I always do, but for some people, you've really got to hit those thrill rides. For the girls, they had a lot more fun. They loved the Pirates of the Caribbean. They were practically begging us guys to go there as the #2 ride on our list (#1 was Indiana Jones). We did go there as #2, and they loved it. In fact, some of them loved it more than the guys! Idk what it is about girls and Pirates of the Caribbean. It's gotta be Jack Sparrow. But when we went, Jack Sparrow wasn't even there yet, so idk what it was. I always loved it as a little boy because I liked the skeletons and the battle scene, and then I'd play it out in my backyard So as a kid, I always thought of it as a guys thing, but girls love it too. And now that Jack Sparrow is there....I can only imagine....So make sure you visit the Pirates as one of your top rides!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
taigirl87
Resident Pixie Duster

man, my first trip to disneyland(never been to wdw) was like when i was maybe 1 or 2? i dunno. i was SOO young that only pictures are my memory. but i went like when i was a little older, dont remember my age, just that i had a nightmare about the haunted mansion, an it was when toon town was just made i think. it was soo long ago! ha ha.
taigirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
DarthBob_2005
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigirl87 View Post
i had a nightmare about the haunted mansion
Me too!! Man I was scared of that place!!! I remember my parents took me into the Haunted Mansion when I was real little, and I was scared I didn't want to go back until I eventually went in again when I was 12. Which of course is silly, considering I had a videotape full of Disneyland stuff that showed the Osmond brothers in the Haunted Mansion, and some other video with that guy from Cheers when he was a kid going in there and finding some ghost girl. So I knew everything that was in the Haunted Mansion, but when it came to actually going inside, I was too afraid! So yeah, I didn't go back until I was 12...but anyway....the nightmare...

I had this dream when I was real little, of me walking in my house at night. I entered my parents bedroom, and then there was lightning flashing and thunder, just like when you enter the hallway. There's a picture of my mom on the wall (in real life). So in the dream, I turn around and look at the portrait, and the picture changes! My mom started to grow antlers and her nose turned all black and evil. It looked kind of like the Medusa pic in the real Haunted Mansion. I don't remember what happened in the rest of the dream, but I still remember the changing pic of my mom. That scared the hell out of me. I guess I had been watching those Haunted Mansion videos too much. In fact, I probably got it from that video of the guy in Cheers, because in the video, one of his friends says "there's your mom!" and then they show the Medusa pic. So my mind probably got it from that. But yeah...quite a nightmare.

Now I look back and laugh at myself for being scared
Old 04-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
taigirl87
Resident Pixie Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBob_2005 View Post
Me too!! Man I was scared of that place!!! I remember my parents took me into the Haunted Mansion when I was real little, and I was scared I didn't want to go back until I eventually went in again when I was 12. Which of course is silly, considering I had a videotape full of Disneyland stuff that showed the Osmond brothers in the Haunted Mansion, and some other video with that guy from Cheers when he was a kid going in there and finding some ghost girl. So I knew everything that was in the Haunted Mansion, but when it came to actually going inside, I was too afraid! So yeah, I didn't go back until I was 12...but anyway....the nightmare...

I had this dream when I was real little, of me walking in my house at night. I entered my parents bedroom, and then there was lightning flashing and thunder, just like when you enter the hallway. There's a picture of my mom on the wall (in real life). So in the dream, I turn around and look at the portrait, and the picture changes! My mom started to grow antlers and her nose turned all black and evil. It looked kind of like the Medusa pic in the real Haunted Mansion. I don't remember what happened in the rest of the dream, but I still remember the changing pic of my mom. That scared the hell out of me. I guess I had been watching those Haunted Mansion videos too much. In fact, I probably got it from that video of the guy in Cheers, because in the video, one of his friends says "there's your mom!" and then they show the Medusa pic. So my mind probably got it from that. But yeah...quite a nightmare.

Now I look back and laugh at myself for being scared
oh wow! that is quite the dream! we had/have this disneyland sing along video where they go to different parts of the park. but my dream was just about the ghosts in there like made my dad have to work there and he was stuck and i couldnt get him out. i remember being so upset! but thats all i really remember from details
taigirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
DarthBob_2005
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigirl87 View Post
oh wow! that is quite the dream! we had/have this disneyland sing along video where they go to different parts of the park. but my dream was just about the ghosts in there like made my dad have to work there and he was stuck and i couldnt get him out. i remember being so upset! but thats all i really remember from details
I think I had that video too. Is it the one where Donald is dressed up as a ghost and they've got the Big Bad Wolf and Capt. Hook in there too? Along with all those dancing trees? I guess in your dream, those ghosts must have wanted your dad to be the 1000th ghost in there....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: