Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 03:07 AM   #1
mommy*RN
Does Imodium work for verbal diarrhea?
Ok - I'm 30 and never had a cheesehead...
why are you leaving us in the midst of all this excitement?

Difference between the Swan and Dolphin?

I'm planning a one night stay on our upcoming trip at either the Swan or Dolphin. Just wondering what the major differences are. I will be traveling with my DH and our 3 kiddos - DS7, DD4, DS1. I will probably be booking a non-balcony room and praying for an upgrade. I am a Starwood Preferred Guest, but haven't used the membership yet...

What are my chances for an upgrade too??

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
MPLsDad
DIS Veteran

If you are talking room differences, then the Swan has two queens and the Dolphin has two doubles. I think the bathroom set up is different too. An upgrade may mean a view or a balcony. The balcony is small at both, unless you get one of those end rooms at the dolphin (which we were lucky enought to get years ago), and then it was a huge balcony with a view of epcot and smaller second balcony.

The atmosphere at the swan is more intimate and subdued. The dolphin has a large lobby area and always seems to be bustling. Both share access to the same pool area.

In my experience, I always go for the one with the better rate! Both are gorgeous!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2009, 07:44 AM   #3
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

The other difference that may be important with small children is the fact that The Dolphin has a 24/7 cafeteria style food court - Picabu - Swan does not. The Dolphin also has direct access to the pool area, it's a short walk from The Swan. We also like the casual dining at The Fountain (burgers & ice cream) inside The Dolphin. Dining at The Swan is more formal.

Your chances for an upgrade depend on how full the hotel is. Both Swan & Dolphin are convention hotels, so they are often booked to capacity. We've stayed at Swan/Dolphin 3 times as SPG Preferred & SPG Gold - twice got the complimentary upgrade, once did not, the hotel was full.

You won't be disappointed with either! We prefer The Dolphin but if The Swan had a better rate we'd stay there.

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
RN4Babies
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy*RN View Post
I'm planning a one night stay on our upcoming trip at either the Swan or Dolphin. Just wondering what the major differences are. I will be traveling with my DH and our 3 kiddos - DS7, DD4, DS1. I will probably be booking a non-balcony room and praying for an upgrade. I am a Starwood Preferred Guest, but haven't used the membership yet...

What are my chances for an upgrade too??

Thanks for any help!

I don't know what kind of rates you received as a Starwood Preferred Guest, but if you're a nurse (I'm assuming you are because of your user ID ), check in to the nurse rates for the Swan/Dolphin too. You just need to show them your nursing license or your work ID when you check in, and you're good to go.

Upgrades at just about any place (hotel, cruise, etc.), are usually up to the discretion of the person checking you in. If you're polite, enthusiastic and ask without demanding the possibility of an upgrade, maybe you'll be lucky and receive one! Good luck!

WDW with DS17, DD8 and dear sister
February 23 through March 1, 2009

WDW with ex-DH (honeymoon)
RN4Babies is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: