Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
talulabelle
DIS Veteran

How do I get Disney to make this right?

I posted this on the budget board, but though I should post here too, since someone here may be able to offer me advice.

This is what happened -

A little background - my DH and I have been planning on taking a Disney vacation with our 4 kids for months. We didn't have a vacation at all last year due to an accident I had and was not able to travel. We haven't been to Disney for 4 years with our kids and decided to do it this year since we are overdue for a vacation.

I have been looking at options for months - and trying to decide between the buy 4-get 3 free deal or staying off-site at Windsor hills. I have not been able to book anything since my husband was not able to nail down exact dates when he would be availabe for vacation until this weekend. The entire time I was waiting for him to finalize dates, I was working out all sorts of different senarios and prices. Stay off-site/ rent a car, stay on-site/ with kitchen no dining plan, stay on-site no kitchen with dining plan/no rental car...you all know the drill. Each time I look at the Disney website, it has a little banner at the bottom saying how many days you have to book left. "only 10 more days to book" and I 'm freaking out not knowing what dates to book. He comes to me on Sat. and tells me the exact dates we can travel. Yea! - I was so excited because I still had 1 day left to book the 4/3 promo. The little banner at the bottom of the screen said "only 1 day left" If he had been any later, then we would have to stay offsite, because I could only afford on-site with the deal. So I decided we would stay at a FW Cabin since we would have a kitchen, it fits us, it's onsite, no need for rental car, and it worked out to just a little more than if we stayed at Wndsor HIlls. So I go online to book on Sat. night, and the website was moving SO slow - the screen kept freezing etc.. I was frustrated, and thought, "oh well, I have through Sun. to do this, so I'll do it tomorrow" (red flags going up for anyone yet?) So of course all day Sun. I'm super busy, and leave it for when my kids go to bed. I try to get on again, still super duper slow. I consider calling in, but the banner at the bottom says "only 4 days left" So I think - wow, they must be trying to sell everly last room, and the extended the booking time a few days. I think "great, that gives me time to do this online tomorrow" I prefer booking online, because it is faster, I can play with the options (hopper, waterpark , etc and see just what hte price difference will be etc, and I like it better than on the phone) So, today, I go online to book and the little 4/3 banner has changed to a free dining banner. No worries, it says up in the corner "buy 4 get 3 free" I click on it, and YOU GUESSED IT!!! It says "we are sorry, this promotion is over please see our other specials". UHHHGGG!! So I call in and a very unhelpful and very unDIsneyesque CM pretty much tells me I'm screwed. (not in those exact words). So I ask for a supervisor, and I am on hold for so long, that I have to hang up to get my kids from school. I call back this evening and talk to a agent who puts me through to a supervisor, and the supervisor is much nicer than the first person I had talked to, and listens to my whole story, and puts me on hold to see if she can do anything for me, and comes back says she asked if there was anyway to help me, but was told no "it ended yesterday" she sounded very nervous. I told them it was ridiculous, that hours before, to sell the room, they woudl have given the package to me for $2500 and now they want $3500. SO I will go offsite, (if we go at all) and they have an upset customer, the room is still available, and no one can do ANYTHING? She says "sorry, no".

Now this is where I should have asked to speak to HER boss, but I was upset, and kids were needing dinner at this point, so I hung up. So now here I am. I told my family, and everyone is super disappointed we won't be on-site.

What would you all do? Should I email? Should I call somewhere else? Since thier website clearly said 4 more days left, I feel they are in the wrong. How do I fix this?
talulabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
WDW_Vacationer
Earning My Ears

Well, the promo ran til it was supposed to run. I don't think there is anything you can do about it. However, not knowing your whole situation I would think you may be better off. You mentioned having four kids. How old are the kids? For us anyway, we will be better off with the free dining that came out yesterday as opposed to the 4/3 deal. If there are five or six of you that would be paying for meals (depending on kids's ages) I would think you'd be better off with this route as well. So instead of trying to worry about the 4/3 deal that has expired...take a hard look and see if the free dining isn't just as good if not a better option.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2009, 06:50 AM   #3
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I don't think there's any way that you can. Unfortunately, it isn't Disney's problem that you didn't call when you couldn't get through online, and it's not their fault you were too busy the last day to try until the last moment. I was in and out of the Disney website several times on Sunday, and every time it said 1 day left, or last day, or book by March 29th. If you had actually made it through the booking process and had a problem, I think you'd have a chance. But since you didn't, I think you are out of luck on this one.

I'm sorry things didn't work out, but keep your eyes open - if Disney gets desperate there will be other discounts besides the free dining and you may still get in with a good deal. I would go ahead and book something off property that has a liberal cancellation policy, so if a good deal does come up, you won't be penalized when you cancel.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
shellybaxter
Dis Veteran
Disney Restaurants for one hundred Alex

I don't think there is much you can do. Yes, their website was obviously having a problems (it was too slow and not loading right for you) and listed the wrong amount of days. But you knew when the promotion was over. You should have called when you couldn't get the website to work, if only to confirm whether the offer had indeed been extended. If Disney extended their promotions for everyone with a story about why they were late they would never get to end a promotion.

I hope your vacation is magical wherever you get to stay and I'm sorry you didn't get what you wanted
shellybaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by talulabelle View Post

What would you all do? Should I email? Should I call somewhere else? Since thier website clearly said 4 more days left, I feel they are in the wrong. How do I fix this?
It said promotion ends March 29th on that banner as well so I think you are out of luck. I say try staying offsite this trip. What about Bonnet Creek? It's actually inside the gates of Disney. We were going to do that this time (but we booked the 4/3 deal sorry) But it looked very nice and it would have been a great option for us.
Good luck.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:52 AM   #6
fottafamily05
Mouseketeer

I would most def call again and ask to speak to someone much higher up

That is terrible that they did that to you...I think all of us on here know that the Disney website is ALWAYS having problems and they to should know that. If it does make you feel any better though...IF you have to stay off-site Windsor Hills is the BEST. We actually used to be home-owners there and the place is just amazing!!!

Good Luck with calling and getting what you deserve to get

2005- Off Property
2006- Off Property
2007- Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
2007- Off Property
2008- Grand Floridian Resort & Spa/Polynesian
2008- Disneyland CA
2008- Grand Floridian Resort and Spa
2009- Grand Floridian Theme Park View
2009- Coronado Springs Thanksgiving Week
2010- CBR, CSR & SS Mar, Apr & May
2010- CSR Memorial Day Week
fottafamily05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:07 AM   #7
fan1080
When you wish upon a star......

Probably not alot you can do.

Here's a suggestion for future ref......

If you know you are going to go, Pre-book, even if you don't know the exact dates, with intentions of posibly making changes once you know your travel dates.
Mar 1978 - Off Site (Grade 7, with my family), Sept 1989 - Off Site (Honeymoon), Feb 2006 - All Star Movies (First time to Disney for our 3 daughters), July 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside, Feb 2008 - Pop Century, Mar 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside, Feb 2010 Holiday Inn Express and Suites Universal
fan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
Alicnwondrln
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan1080 View Post
Probably not alot you can do.

Here's a suggestion for future ref......

If you know you are going to go, Pre-book, even if you don't know the exact dates, with intentions of posibly making changes once you know your travel dates.
This is always a good idea. How old are your kids? Free dining might be a better deal for you. It was for my cousin all her kids are over 10 so she saved over $900 doing FDF instead of 4 for 3.
Alicnwondrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

I think you should go with staying offsite. You were well aware when the promo ended no matter what the ticker said. The bottom of that also said book by March 29. It isn't right to try and take advantage of Disney and it sends a bad message to your children. We all need to teach our children responsibility for our actions. You chose to wait and unfortunately it didn't work out the way you wanted but you need to accept that and move to plan B. You could have called Disney Travel when the internet was slow so I'm sorry but you're due no special treatment.
dawnbu40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:33 AM   #10
MushyMushy
Marseeya Here!
Drama Magnet
I only make exceptions for chocolate Mickey heads
I'm a big pie freak
I'll always laugh myself silly over the flag pole incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fottafamily05 View Post
I would most def call again and ask to speak to someone much higher up

That is terrible that they did that to you...I think all of us on here know that the Disney website is ALWAYS having problems and they to should know that. If it does make you feel any better though...IF you have to stay off-site Windsor Hills is the BEST. We actually used to be home-owners there and the place is just amazing!!!

Good Luck with calling and getting what you deserve to get
I don't understand why she "deserves" to get the deal?

I knew when the promotion was ending and committed myself to getting it, as did, I imagine, thousands of other people. It's not Disney's fault she was too busy on Sunday to do anything. Weren't there other options for her on Saturday besides dealing with a slow website? Calling? Going through a travel agent (like Dreams)? Or what happened to all the months leading up to it? The original deal was supposed to be over in December, and it was so awesome for them to extend it as long as they did!

For the op, I'm sure Windsor Hills will be a great place to stay! Enjoy the trip and don't let your own mistake color your trip negatively. Have fun!
Old 03-31-2009, 07:52 AM   #11
ancestry
Trees Without Roots Fall Over

I'm very sorry that you are disappointed but I don't think Disney did anything wrong nor do I feel that they need to do anything to make good on this. Procrastination on one's part does not demand an emergency or special exception on Disney's part. The promotion had been going on since January and already was extended once. Each time the promotion page clearly said when the promotion was ending.

Just as some future advice, when Disney offers a large discount promotion you really do have to book as soon as possible.

That being said, what are the dates that you are able to travel? There were minimal rooms left on the 4/3 deal anyways. Many posts have appeared on the boards stating that people couldn't get into the hotels they wanted when they wanted on this deal.

Is there any chance that you could do a bit later and take advantage of the free dining which would also provide you with a significant savings?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
MELSMICE
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be such fun for everyone, Hi Ho, Hi Ho!
Don't look now but the Tag Fairy is behind you!!!

I'm sorry you are dealing with this.

That is one of the reason that I don't use their web-site, because I think it stinks. I make the phone call, so I can talk to a live person, ask questions & book what I want. In fact, I do what someone else suggested usually - book something & then change as needed (if necessary).

Personally, I think you should try to stay on-site. Have you looked in to free dining & staying at POR where they can accommodate 5?

While it's unfortunate, I don't think Disney is to blame here.

Good luck. I hope everything works out.

DH & I DD24 DD21 DD21
MELSMICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:57 AM   #13
madalex
DIS Veteran

Cutting through all the detail in the original post, it seems to boil down to OP knowing she needed to book by a certain date and failing to do so. This appears to be partially attributable to the OP's very busy life (including not making a decision as to when to travel until the very last minute) and some problems with the Disney website (which would not have been an issue if OP had decided on travel dates earlier or had simply called Disney's reservations center instead of trying to book over the internet).

How is this Disney's problem that they need to make right?
madalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:02 AM   #14
tekmom
DIS Veteran

Sorry you missed it, but you knew when it ended. You should have called, if the website was slowing down that much. A deadline is a deadline and you certainly don't mind picking up the phone, now, to call to have WDW "make it right".
Old 03-31-2009, 08:06 AM   #15
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Sorry you are upset Disney's website is crap and they should know that. But it was WELL advertised in most places the ending date for the 4/3 promotion.In this case I really don't think you will get much out of disney .They ended the promotion when they were supposed to.I do think they should apologize for the treatment of you .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: