Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2009, 08:08 AM   #31
dancin'girl
DIS Veteran

I will be purchasing a harness for DS (22 mos.) for our upcoming trip. They have Disney ones on the TRU website. I think I'm going to order the Mickey one.
dancin'girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:05 AM   #32
CruisingCamper
DIS Veteran

We just got back from WDW with a 2.5 year old. We used the harness and loved it. It gave him freedom to be out of his stroller and still safely walking with us. The crowds were something and It was so much better to have it than not!! Last year, I did not consider it, but this year, I seen the Mickey Harness on Ebay and got it. He loves his Mickey and we got so many compliments on it. They should sell them at the World!! It is great and I will be using it again in May.

I also did not think they were good...until I actually had kids too!!
2014- Disney's Saratoga Springs Feb
2013- Art of Animation Nov, Disney Fantasy Dec, Fort Wilderness May, Fort Wilderness March
2012- Yacht Club Oct, Fort Wilderness April
2011- Fort Wilderness March, Beach Club Nov, Disney Magic Dec, Polynesian Dec
2010- Fort Wilderness April
2009- Disney's Swan Aug, Fort Wilderness May, Fort Wilderness March
2008- Disney Magic Dec, Polynesian Dec, Caribbean Beach March
2006- Saratoga Springs Feb, Wilderness Lodge Jan
CruisingCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2009, 10:01 AM   #33
my3sons77
Dreaming of a DVC membership

I have nothing against somebody using a "leash" for their child. It is for safety reasons and I put on one my 2 year old when the need calls for it. He is getting to where he wants to be out of the stroller and with his older brothers and you better believe that I have his little cow harness on him for those times. The kid is FAST and very independent. I get nothing but giggles and comments like "Very smart", "Great idea", "I should have done that too!"

We went to Vegas back in 2003 and I had a harness on both of my boys (they were younger then) Even then I did not get any weird looks or negative feedback. Everybody that saw them said how cute they were and the harnesses were a great idea.

I keep a close eye on my kids and they can still sometimes slip away by people cutting them off in the crowd, them stopping to look at something in a store, etc.

I, of course, no longer need to put a harness on my older boys but when I am at some type of place where my 2 year old wants to walk and there are just way too many people around for him to do so safely, the harness gets put on.

We don't do it to humiliate our kids, we do it for their safety.
Nov 1978 My 1st Birthday, Sept 1998 stayed offsite (honeymoon), June 2002 Contemporary Resort 3 days, Aug 2007 All Star Sports (surprise trip for the kids), Oct 24 -Nov 1 2008 Pop Century & MNSSHP,Dec 4-6 2009 Mother Daughter trip (offsite), Aug 12-14 2010 Port Orleans -Riverside and Dec 14-20, 2014, 2 rooms at POP Century!!
Learning to play with my Canon 60D
my3sons77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #34
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

I never used htem but I have seen the backpack things and love them and if I known about them when my kids were a bit younger you bet I would of used them. My three youngest are close in age (twins plus my dd is one year older then them) so I would of went off on someone telling me not to use them you keep them together when they were younger. I used the double stroller for along time and wouldn't have if I would of have these.
I say go for it. You can never keep your child too safe.
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:20 AM   #35
all4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerlisa View Post
Watch out for the flames on here!!!

I am one of those people who thought they were horrible!!! Until now. I have a 19 month old that DOES NOT LISTEN!!! But then again when do they ever listen? I am purchasing a harness for my son for our D.C. trip in two weeks and plan on using it on our Disney trip in September. I have been trying to teach him to hold hands to no avail.
Someone showed me this harness:
http://www.tommiguard.com/buyoriginal.htm

I am hoping that by me not holding onto a "leash" I can concentrate more on teaching him to hold my hand.

Also, this topic has been hotly debated on here. Someone once said this: "You hold your hand up for an hour straight and tell me you're not cranky because your arm is tired". That IS what it's like for a toddler holding your hand.
I think using the safety harness actually helped with teaching hand holding. DS knew he couldn't get very far when he had it on, and he would actually hold my hand. W/out the harness on, he would just pull his hand out of mine and run. He was very stubborn. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohnpigletCA View Post
Tread lightly. There are many of us that have special needs children that use leashes for safety reasons. My dd would bolt in crowds at Disneyland and was non-verbal at the time. She was also tall for her age which led to many pleasant looks and comments from strangers.

I purchased her leash at Wal-Mart. It was worth the negative looks to keep her safe.

I also frowned on leashes until I had a child who needed one. I also frowned on children being at a theme park or mall with a Nintendo, I also understand that now.
My ds had developmental delays as well, and I think that is why we found the harness such a necessity! The harness saved him from so many tumbles and falls since I could "catch" him with it (I always kept the leash short so he was very close to me even if he wasn't holding my hand). His delays were both physical and verbal, although he has done a great deal of catching up in the last few years. We used the simple nylon harness, I think it was Parents brand, bought at Target. The little stuffed animal ones are cute, but I do think they look pretty warm to wear in the Florida heat, just something to keep in mind!

Anyway, OP, you know your child the best. Do what you feel is necessary to keep your LO safe and keep you sane, as well! You'll see lots of other parents using one of these devices at WDW I'm sure.

1995 Disneyland 1996 WDW off property 1997 WDW off property 1999 off property 2000 Boardwalk Villas, Disney Magic 7-day cruise 2001 Boardwalk Villas 2002 Boardwalk Villas 2004 May-off property, Sept. AKL, Boardwalk Villas 2005 January Boardwalk Villas, April VWL, September Disneyland, November Disneyland2006 April-Disneyland September-WDW,All Stars-Movies,& December-BWV2007 May BWV, October SSR, 2008 April Boardwalk Villas, December Boardwalk Villas, & cruise, 2009 March, Sept, Dec. Disneyland, 2010 October F&W Fest! 2012 November F&W Fest.
all4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:29 AM   #36
Jenvenza
Ratted out her husband's lack of pony knowledge for a tag!

I think the people who tend to flame these kinds of threads either don't have kids OR don't have kids who don't like to hold your hand or be in a stroller. I used to HATE the harnesses I would see on some kids, but we have one for our daughter. We have hardly used it, except once at the zoo and she LOVED it. Whatever keeps them safe. If people don't like the idea of you keeping your child safe, who cares what they think anyway?
Jenvenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:30 AM   #37
nicolemomof4cuties
DIS Veteran

I have 4 children. I only used a leash (monkey backpack/harness) on one of them. The 3rd in order- my youngest daughter. She was a WILD THING. I was very fearful of losing her. Actually she is the only child that we have ever lost at WDW..... She walked up to the ride that she knew that we were going to ride next and told them that one of the ECV's had separated us. The (stupid) CM then walked her all over the park for 1.5 hours while we waited with the supervisor next to said ride. BOY, were we ever angry with that CM (as was her supervisor...) I have never had a problem with others having their children on leashes as long as they weren't abusing their children ( beating them senseless etc...) A leash is generally for safety purposes. My daughter felt safer with her leash. She ASKED to wear it in crowded places....
POR November 2004
POR November 2005
POR November 2006
ASMU September 2009
nicolemomof4cuties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:44 AM   #38
smurfie
Nicole

we have a monkey backpack that I used for my son a few times. I am planning on using it this week with my daughter on our trip to PR since I won't be bringing her stroller.

First trip to WDW as a family
SSR April 2009
smurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:06 PM   #39
JeninTN
Mouseketeer

I would have never used one for DS, but w/ twins now, I don't see how I could NOT use one. I have one that thinks outside means running & I can hardly keep up with her in the church crowd, so I know I will not be able to keep up at DW. I think of it as a must in our case, for the safety of DD and the person she is going to make fall when she runs into them.

Poly 9/91, ASMo 6/05, ASMo 4/06, ASMu 9/06, CBR 5/07, ASMo 4/09, CSR 6/09, May 1-3, 2010 DL 6/11, DL 6/12, 5/13 AoA
JeninTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:12 PM   #40
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Believes in? Yes.

Does son believe in it too? No.

Leash? No, I don't call it that, even though I have NO problem comparing it to taking care of a dog...people LOVE their dogs and want them to stay alive, which is why people use collars and leashes...I love my son and want him to stay alive...unfortunately the way he behaves when he has a chest harness and lead on isn't conducive to him not getting a head injury (runs to the end and tries to slam the lead out of my hands and I wasn't willing to deal with that long enough to stop him doing it b/c it HURT me)...so we had to go different ways.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:13 PM   #41
Dizisfun
Mouseketeer

Buy the leash, take it and if you find you need it you will have it available. We went with our DS and DDIL and their DD a few years ago. The baby was 18 months old and didn't like being confined to the stroller, I found a cute little pink purse with a shoulder strap that had a leash that you could attach to it. We were glad we had it, she didn't really notice it because we let her start carrying the purse at home over her shoulder and she would carry it in the parks and when we needed to we would attach the leash. She did really well sitting in the stroller for the most part, put when she wanted out we let her out, with the LEASH!!!! I would rather have my child or grandchild safe then worry about someone staring at me. And trust me, my husband is VERY opposed to seeing a child on a leash, but even he was glad that we had it at the WORLD. That is the only time that I have ever used or encouraged one of my kids to use a leash for my grandkids.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #42
2disneyboys
DIS Veteran

I"m one of those rare people who have never used them but don't Judge others who do. Fortunately for me, both of my Sons' always rode in stollers well and were not wanderers or bolters. However, I have several niece/nephews' that either because of disabilities, or just plain rowdy personalities I would't take them into my FRONT YARD without a lease or something. It's all about safety and comfort -- if the child is going to fight walking w/ you or riding in a stroller, then it's almost MEANER to fight them then to just put the harness/lease thingy on them. and what about the other kids. It it fair for the other siblings to constantly lose time or attention because the parents are having to struggle or chase down the one child? No...

Do what you have to do to have a SAFE and ENJOYABLE vacation and thumb your nose or other body part at someone who wants to judge what you are doing. Its not like your tying them to a tree and leaving them there for hours which IMO is a lot worse! Have a wonderful trip!

DH ME
DS#1 13 DS#2 10

Lots of Magical Memories between 1999 - 2012
Maybe another visit in 2013 ? I can only hope!
2disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:19 PM   #43
kwitcherkicken99
Sleep keeps me pretty. CAFFEINE keeps me NICE!
This vicarious living is wonderful!
I'll take getting my feet up all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten822 View Post
I have always frowned upon people who have their kids on leashes in theme parks or malls. But, now that I have a DS2 -I can understand. He likes to walk, is very energetic, tends to run off, etc.. My DD4 was never a problem. She loved being held and loved the stroller. I am debating about whether or not to get a leash for DS this coming trip. Any input? And do they sell them in the Disney parks for a reasonable price?
I'm not ashamed to say we have one. My DS will take off in a heartbeat , even with us holding on. I use it when we go to the children's museum and DEFINATELY at WDW!

The one I have was $10 and looks like a monkey backback. The "leash" part gives the illusion of the monkey's tail. I've seen basic ones at KMart for around $7.

If you have a roamer, I'd pick one up.
kwitcherkicken99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #44
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

I personally HATE the things, but I have become resigned to the fact that many people love using them. I understand the safety aspect of using them, and that most parents say that their kid is happier on one than in a stroller, but I still have that knee jerk eeeew response. I can't help it. They bother me. I would never say something to a prent about it. I say your kid you choice. I would never consider one for my child though. Just be aware that they can be a trip hazard to others when they are stretched over a few feet between you and the child. DD was once tripped by a toddler on one.
princessmom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:55 PM   #45
roscoepc1
DIS Veteran

Headstrong/disabled child without leash=possibly dead, kidnapped or injured

Headstrong/disabled child WITH leash=safe, period.

'nuff said, imho.

roscoepc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: