Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Andreaswish
Mouseketeer

Andrea's Wish Trip - June 8-13

Hi Everyone,

I am rather new to this site, but am extremely happy I have found you guys. I have many ?'s about Make a Wish trips. Some have already been answered on other threads.

I'll give you some info about our trip and family.

We are supposed to be traveling June 8 -13, 2009. We are looking forward to this so much.

My dd Andrea was born with a heart condition that was repaired at 8 mths old. She is now 8 yrs old and has been having some more heart issues and will more than likely have open heart surgery this summer. We will find out more at her cardiologist appt in May. Her cardiologist is recommending that she uses a wheelchair and not over exert herself. She is also not allowed on a lot of the rides because of her heart condition. Are MAW kids charged for the use of wheelchairs at the parks?

We are hoping she will have a magical time at WDW.

We also have a ds age 12. He is a wonderful kid, he has Aspergers Syndrome (a form of Autism). He is excited an nervouse about this trip. Will we need a seperate GAC for him??

We are from Michigan, and can't wait to travel to WDW.

I see some of you have a longer trip - are you paying for any of your stay or is GKTW letting you stay that long?? Can I possibly extend our trip by one day, we are arriving late afternoon on Monday June 8, and leave late afternoon June 13 th. I was hoping to use one last day at MK on my 40th birthday June 13th. It would be nice to have one more day to do everything we want to while down in Florida.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I will update more and give more information later on.

Andrea's Wish Pre trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2133000/COLOR]

Andrea's Carepage www.carepages.com/andreaavinklovespugs

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/svq6euz0ub9bu206.png[/IMG]
Old 03-29-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
Andreaswish
Mouseketeer

Hi,

Anyone out there? Can anyone help me- any advice or tips???

Diane

Last edited by Andreaswish; 01-01-2010 at 05:19 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
annie1995
I have not used mine outside the house yet
CM's always tell me that's not how it works

I'm bumping this up for you. I'm thinking one of our Mods should move this to maybe the disabilities board? I'm betting you will get more info over there. GL and I hope you have a truely magical vacation!!
Old 03-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
maroo
DIS Veteran

Bless your heart!

I am so sorry that we did not see this pre-trip report!!

First of all...congrats on the Wish!!!

Second...there is a WONDERFUL thread full of Wish Trip Families and we discuss all sorts of things about Wish Trips!

here is the link to that thread...

CLICK HERE TO GO TO Wish Trippers Unite thread!!

That thread is the best place to ask any questions. I am going to put a link to this pre-trip on that thread, too! So you should have some more folks visiting over here soon!

MAW Families are not charged for a wheelchair!

I would go ahead and get a GAC for your son...just in case you guys split up so that he can ride different rides or something...and so he can have his own. You can pick this up at Guest Services when you first get to the park.

I have seen MAW families extend their trips by up to a week on their own dime...I have also know of a few MAW families that are restricted by their local chapter to only fly on the specific dates that they are given. So it basically depends on your MAW chapter. I would definitely call them and ask! And I might extend 2 days so that you can have your full birthday in the parks. They are making a big deal out of birthday's and should help you have a magical day!

You deserve that! Sounds like you guys have your hands full!

I am going to PM you this info, too...since we didn't see the pre-trippie...I want to make sure you know that we finally saw it!

Last edited by maroo; 03-30-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Come on over to the wish tripper's thread - it's great to have you aboard! Hope you have a wonderful trip and a happy Birthday!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
Andreaswish
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies ladies Annie1995, Maroo, and LindaBabe.

I will go over to the Wish Trippers. THanks for the help. I look forward to learning more from this board.

Diane

Last edited by Andreaswish; 09-02-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreaswish View Post

I will go over to the Wish Trippers. THanks for the help. I look forward to learning more from this board.

Diane
It is a very long thread!

The first post is a list of the wish trips (except the three I found today...I will add those tonight!)...the second post is some helpful hints (which I need to add some there, too!)...then I would just go to the "last page" and jump right in! I wouldn't read that whole thread....lol...it is long!

You can post any questions you have there or here!
Old 03-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
llurgy
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Diane
Diane,
Welcome to the boards and congratulations on your upcoming wish trip.

We just went on a Wish trip so feel free to ask away and if I can answer I will.

If you have the time I consider the best way to find out what exactly happens before and on a Wish trip is to read loads of Pre trip report and post trip reports. The info in the planning of Wish trips I considered invaluable and I read a lot before we went.

Again, congrats and get reading

Mandy

www.schtabs.com

Becca's MAW/GKTW/Disney Trip was January 21st to January 27th 2009
Me ...... David ...... Becca
Old 03-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Andreaswish
Mouseketeer

Hi,

I was telling my kids a little bit about you guys and all the trip reports. Lots of cool information. I am only part way through some of the pre trip reports and trip reports. So glad I found this site, there is so many helpful tips and hints here. So many wonderful families who have and are going through many different medical issues.

I will keep reading the many wonderful trip reports.

Diane

Old 03-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
LeeLee2U
DIS Veteran

WELCOME Diane!! Sorry it took this long!! Glad Maroo found you! Good job Maroo as usual!!

OFFICIAL DISLAND DIRECTOR OF INSPIRATION

Wish Trippers Unite home Page
"Those that mind don't matter. Those that matter don't mind." Dr.SEUSS

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth. PSALM 121:1-2

Please Don't Take Your Organs to Heaven.
Heaven Knows We Need Them Here!
Old 03-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
annie1995
I have not used mine outside the house yet
CM's always tell me that's not how it works

I'm so happy you are getting all the help you need!!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
Andreaswish
Mouseketeer

Update

Hi everyone,

I am back to give more information about our family and our wish girl.

My dd Andrea was born with Transposition of the Great Vessels (the main vessels in the heart were switched). More kiddos with this defect have a surgery to switch the vessels, but my dd couldn't have this surgery because she also had a few other defects. So the doctors put a shunt in to improve her blood flow and let her grow. At 8mths she had a Rastelli procedure done which a type of bypass surgery. She has been doing well, until about a year ago. Her left ventricle is moderately impaired. She has been through numerous test lately to find the extent of the problem. She has had an MRI, a few heart echos, EKG's and others. She has had new meds added to try to help with the ventricles pumping function. We go back in May to see if this is working. If it is improved her cardiologist will send all info to her surgeon and we will see what the next step is. If it hasn't improved then we maybe looking at a heart transplant> So we are praying that the meds work.

My dd is in second grade and my son is in fifth grade. They are both wonderful special kids.

I will see if I can figure out how to add pictures, and will add more. I need to go do some laundry now.

So glad I found this site so far it is great

Diane

Old 04-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
maroo
DIS Veteran

Wow...

All of that sounds very scary for all of you!

Thanks for sharing about your family! We definitely look forward to helping you plan!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
Andreaswish
Mouseketeer

I'm back to update some more.

My ds is 12 yrs old and has Asperger's Syndrome at type of Autism. He is quite high functioning. He has some sensory issues, hates loud noises, he has very little patience when it comes to waiting. He is extremely bright, loves science, video games, reading, yu-gi-oh, pokemon, star wars, and many more things. I think he will enjoy visiting Epcot. He wants to do the Kim Possible adventure, Buzz Lightyear ride, and anything hands on. He is afraid of heights, and gets motion sickness very easily, so some of the rides and shows will be out of the question for him. He wants to visit the Japan showcase to see if there are any yu-gi-oh or pokemon items there.

My dd is looking forward to many rides a lot of which she will not be able to ride because of her heart condition. She really wanted to see the Presidents show, but unfortantely that is suppossed to be closed for rehab. She loves anything presidents. She is also looking forward to China at Epcot, she is hoping to see pugs (her favorite dog), fortune cookies and pretty jewlery.
She wants to see the pretty princesses, and she is supposed to be getting a princess makeover at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique downtown on the first night we are there. We decided since we get to Orlando around 3:00 p.m. we will go to Downtown Disney and Walmart. She is so excited to go - she can't wait. She received a countdown calendar from her Make a Wish manager, and she also got some stickers to use.

So far this is a tentative schedule for our trip:

Monday, June 8 at 3:00 p.m. - GKTW and Downtown Disney

Tuesday, June 9 -Epcot

Wednesday, June 10 - Sea World or Magic Kingdom

Thursday, June 11 - Magic Kingdom or Sea World

Friday, June 12 - AK and DHS

Saturday, June 13 - Universal before we leave at 3:30 p.m.

I really wished we had one more day but we can't afford the extra day and plus my dh needs to get back to work.

Do these plans sound good? Does anyone know what days to avoid certain parks? and what events not to miss.

thanks for reading, more to come later...

Diane

Old 04-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #15
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm back to update some more.

My ds is 12 yrs old and has Asperger's Syndrome at type of Autism. He is quite high functioning. He has some sensory issues, hates loud noises, he has very little patience when it comes to waiting. He is extremely bright, loves science, video games, reading, yu-gi-oh, pokemon, star wars, and many more things. I think he will enjoy visiting Epcot. He wants to do the Kim Possible adventure, Buzz Lightyear ride, and anything hands on. He is afraid of heights, and gets motion sickness very easily, so some of the rides and shows will be out of the question for him. He wants to visit the Japan showcase to see if there are any yu-gi-oh or pokemon items there.

My dd is looking forward to many rides a lot of which she will not be able to ride because of her heart condition. She really wanted to see the Presidents show, but unfortantely that is suppossed to be closed for rehab. She loves anything presidents. She is also looking forward to China at Epcot, she is hoping to see pugs (her favorite dog), fortune cookies and pretty jewlery.
She wants to see the pretty princesses, and she is supposed to be getting a princess makeover at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique downtown on the first night we are there. We decided since we get to Orlando around 3:00 p.m. we will go to Downtown Disney and Walmart. She is so excited to go - she can't wait. She received a countdown calendar from her Make a Wish manager, and she also got some stickers to use.

So far this is a tentative schedule for our trip:

Monday, June 8 at 3:00 p.m. - GKTW and Downtown Disney

Tuesday, June 9 -Epcot

Wednesday, June 10 - Sea World or Magic Kingdom

Thursday, June 11 - Magic Kingdom or Sea World

Friday, June 12 - AK and DHS

Saturday, June 13 - Universal before we leave at 3:30 p.m.

I really wished we had one more day but we can't afford the extra day and plus my dh needs to get back to work.

Do these plans sound good? Does anyone know what days to avoid certain parks? and what events not to miss.

thanks for reading, more to come later...

Diane
Hello again!!

I would check www.touingplans.com...but not until about 30 days before you leave. I think your plans look GREAT and I like that you will try to hit Downtown Disney that first day...good use of that time!

To really see the "good park, bad park" stuff, you will need to have very set hours and Disney has started to only publish 3 months in advance and has been changing them only weeks and sometimes days in advance. Those changes can greatly affect what night you catch what thing, etc.

As far as GKTW...Thursday night is the big Christmas party, which to me is a don't miss...but probably the only real don't miss at GKTW. Although the other parties are good, too! Christmas is just the favorite of most that have been.

Therefore, since you would want to be back at GKTW that night, I would tend to recommend Sea World for that day rather than MK. MK will be a long day, hopefully capped off by the SpectroMagic parade and Wishes fireworks and you would miss that for the Christmas Party.

You can also easily hop over to MK, though, on the day you are at Epcot. If you are ok with missing Illuminations, you could hop the monorail and see Specrto and Wishes on your Epcot night, if you wanted.

But...the bottom line...you will want to get more details a little closer to your trip...UNLESS...you want to eat somewhere nice or a character meal...Then you might need to go ahead and decide so that you can get that Advanced Dining Reservation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: