Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2009, 04:20 AM   #1
shelleym3
Earning My Ears

Dining plan GBP vs USD price

Hi there

It is 16 days and counting to our first trip on DVC to SSR.
Cant wait.

Everything is all organised, SSR booked, DME, Tickets bought and dining plan booked.

The dining plan we pay for at check in. I have been reading the disney.co.uk boards this morning and the DDP for adult is £19.99 per adult and £5.99 for chiild. But on DVC the prices in dollars are $39.99 adult and $10.99 for child. This is quite a difference over the length of stay.

Is there anyway to the GBP price before we go through Member Services?

Also we are flying UK-Philly-Orlando. Would you recommend collecting own luggage at Orlando and bring to DME desk? or let them collect from luggage tags?

thanks
shelley
shelleym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
jns
Tries hard to get the jelly off Jaffa Cakes without breaking it!!!!

we would be interested in doing this too
great saving

some how can't see anyway of doing this

If you are flying in late at night I would pick up your bags but if early lets them you the carrying
think it takes over 3 hours to get your bags from DME
2007 Animal Kingdom , Disney Magic , Saratoga Springs,NYC
2008 DLRP Santa Fa , Beachclub Villas, Wilderness Lodge ,Disney Magic and New York

2009 BayLake Towers, Beachclub Villas and Disney Wonder 2011 Disney Magic, Mediterranean Cruise, Old Key West2012 Los Vegas, Grand Calf and San Fran 2013 Disney fantasy , Wilderness Lodge and Vero Beach

We now know the secert too!! Trip report 2006 Trip Report 2008 WDW / DCL
jns is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
Young Pooh
DIS Veteran

No, there is no way of paying in £ before you go. The price in £ is nothing to do with Disney - it is the price set by the individual TA's based on what they have to pay to Disney. I think that when the contracts were set last year they were getting a much better exchange rate.

Aug 1996 - Offsite July 1998 - Buena Vista Palace Sept 2000 - CBR, WDW Aug 2001 - DH, DLP July 2002 - Wyndham Palace Aug 2002 - NPB, DLP Aug 2003 - our first visit home to BCV & BWV June 2004 - SL, DLP Sept 2005 - SL, DLP Aug 2006 - SL, DLP Sept 2007 - BCV & SSR Sept 2008 - SL, DLP Aug 2009 - SSR & HRH Aug 2010 - NY, villa & VB
Young Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
shelleym3
Earning My Ears

Hi jns and Young Pooh

Am I correct in saying that I dont get special labels - I just give my luggage tags to the DME desk and they pick up the luggage?

The prices are on the official Disney.co.uk website - not a general travel agent. Just seems a bit unfair that we are DVC members and we are paying more? Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
shelley
Old 03-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

It isn't letting me open the Disney UK site. Is the 19.99 GBP price for the standard DDP or the new Quick Service plan? The US price of the Quick Service Plan is $29.99 per adult, so about 19.99 pounds.

If the 19.99 GBP price is for the standard plan, it really is a shame DVC can't honour that, as for US guests the DDP is the same, DVC or non-DVC.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #6
shelleym3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
It isn't letting me open the Disney UK site. Is the 19.99 GBP price for the standard DDP or the new Quick Service plan? The US price of the Quick Service Plan is $29.99 per adult, so about 19.99 pounds.

If the 19.99 GBP price is for the standard plan, it really is a shame DVC can't honour that, as for US guests the DDP is the same, DVC or non-DVC.
Copy pasted from Disney.co.uk website :
"Disney Dining Plan: £19.99 per adult, £5.99 per child, per day
1 Table Service meal, 1 Quick (Counter) Service meal and 1 Snack per guest, per day."

Yes it does seem a bit unfair. If I booked it all through UK site I could get this price but not able to do this since DVC has to go through US.

In this credit crunch times every penny counts and lets face it I would spend the difference at Disney anyway on other items.

Shelley
Old 03-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

How strange. I wonder why there is a price difference (other than the normal slight discrepancies due to exchange rate fluctuations) between the US and the UK on cash packages?

I know there are room and ticket discounts to lure folks from abroad, but such a substantial discount on food just seems odd.

Are you staying long enough to justify the cost of an Annual Pass and TIW/DDE card?

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
Claire L
Enjoys a good broadway show
Likes a nice cold glass of White Zinfandel
Has been known to have a blonde moment now and then

Quote:
How strange. I wonder why there is a price difference (other than the normal slight discrepancies due to exchange rate fluctuations) between the US and the UK on cash packages?

I know there are room and ticket discounts to lure folks from abroad, but such a substantial discount on food just seems odd.

Are you staying long enough to justify the cost of an Annual Pass and TIW/DDE card?
I am guessing prices have not been adjusted in the past 6 months as last October the £ was near $1.80 and is now barely above $1.40.

Claire
Aug 90 to Mar 98 - 6 visits to US and 20 states visited, inc 2 trips to WDW and 2 trips to DL Jun 01 - WDW Grosvenor DTD 2wks + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk Jun 02 - WDW WL 2wks Feb 03 - New York 4nts Jun 03 - West Coast 3wks SF to LA & DL for 3 days Oct 04 - WDW AKL 10nts + RPR 2nts Jun 05 - WDW YC 10nts + HRH 4nts + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk! Jun 06 - SF to LV inc Lake Tahoe, Yosemite + the Grand Canyon 3wks Dec 06 - NYE at WDW POFQ 11nts inc RPR 1nt Oct 07 - WDW SSR 2wks inc PBH 1nt May 08 - WDW AKV 15nts inc PBH 1nt + VB 4nts Feb 09 - WDW SSR 1wk + BWI 1wk Jun 09 - Washington DC for 1wk Dec 09 - New York for 6nts Oct 10 - Miami 3nts & WDW AKV KV 13nts inc HRH 1nt Jun 11 - LA to Seattle for 3wks inc 3 days at DLC Oct 12 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt Oct 14 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt
Claire L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
paulh
likes to have a beer
Guiness?

Quote:

previosley due to the exchange rate in our favor it was better to pay in $ for plan but now not so good,was even better on the old plan
Paulh
been going since 1992 sayed offtite a few years then at ASMovies,ASmusic,ASsports,Pop,Caribiean beach.coranardo springs,port orleans,beach club,wildernes lodge,AK lodge,Vero beah,Hilton head island,Disneyland hotel ca,paradice pier ca and fav saratoga springs resort all in no particular order and how can i forget the disney 7 night cruise

"Fire. The Greatest Invention of Mankind. Beer. A Close Second."
paulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:54 AM   #10
Young Pooh
DIS Veteran

When Disney UK set the DDP prices, along with all other UK operators, the $/£ rate was much higher so they were able to set them at the prices you quoted. They have to stand by these as they cannot increase them once the contracts have been set in stone.

In addition, all DVC members have to be treated equally - if we were able to pay the UK Travel Agents rate then we would be getter something cheaper than our US counterparts. Also, DVC are a US based organisation and are therefore unable to accept payments in £.

I know it seems slightly unfait at the moment but in the past we have been getting a much better deal than US members due to the exchange rate.

Aug 1996 - Offsite July 1998 - Buena Vista Palace Sept 2000 - CBR, WDW Aug 2001 - DH, DLP July 2002 - Wyndham Palace Aug 2002 - NPB, DLP Aug 2003 - our first visit home to BCV & BWV June 2004 - SL, DLP Sept 2005 - SL, DLP Aug 2006 - SL, DLP Sept 2007 - BCV & SSR Sept 2008 - SL, DLP Aug 2009 - SSR & HRH Aug 2010 - NY, villa & VB
Young Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: