Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #31
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Another great update! Love the pics, especially! Can't wait to read more!
NikkiLovesWDW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #32
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place

Just reading your report! Great one so far.

I love all the photos! Can't wait to read more!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #33
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousetravel View Post
Subbing! Great report!
Thank you! I've been enjoying your report as well. What a wonderful time with your daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLovesWDW! View Post
Another great update! Love the pics, especially! Can't wait to read more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc4life View Post
Just reading your report! Great one so far.

I love all the photos! Can't wait to read more!
Thanks! I volunteer to help out in my DD's old Kindergarten teacher's classroom this morning, but I hope to have another update this afternoon.

disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #34
gomagic
Go Bucks!

Sorry to hear about your luck with Ivan. We just had him as an asst. server last week and we really enjoyed him.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #35
kileybeth
DIS Veteran

Your pictures are great. Thanks for letting us peek in on your trip.

I sometimes wonder if all the info we (or at least I) collect up on the disboards takes some of the magic away for me? I know it is ubber helpful and my family certainly loves all the little suprises that I already know are coming (or sometimes not) and therein lies the rub.

Looking forward to more pics and post, we do not sail unitl September '09 so gotta live vicariously through everyone going before!

AUG 1977, OCT 1985, OCT 1986, DEC 1988, DEC 1991, FEB 1995, JAN 2000, DEC 2001, FEB 2005, SEPT 2005, JAN 2007, SEPT 2007 and again SEPT 2007!MAR/APRIL 2008, SEPT 2008
Our 1st Cruise Ever on the Disney Magic 9/18-26/2009
Our 2nd Cruise on the Magic EBTA April 2010
WDW Dec 2010 WDW Jan 2011 WDW Jan 2012

And many more I am dreaming about and holding a onboard discount for!URL="http://www.disboards.com/"][/URL]
kileybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #36
disneyfaninaz

Key West

Dateline: Sunday, March 8, 2009

Since we ate at Animator’s Palate the night before, we were scheduled for Mickey’s Island Jam Breakfast at 8:00 AM this morning. The format has changed from last year, in that the characters now come to each table for autographs and pictures instead of just dancing throughout the restaurant. I found the new format to be a bit more relaxing in that we weren’t jumping up and trying to get pictures of the characters as they danced by. The characters came out in their sailor outfits. Some had handlers, some did not, and came to our table one by one.

Pluto is such a ham!

Minnie Mouse

If I remember correctly, I had the French toast, which was good! The danishes, however, were to die for! Joyce made Minnie Ears out of napkins for the kids.

After breakfast we wondered around Deck 4 and up to the front to see all the mooring ropes. Again, something I didn’t do last year that I wanted to do this year. Several joggers passed us during our walk.

Those anchor chains are huge!

We then went to change and I went shopping while DD and DH went swimming. Our DD had a great time sliding down the Mickey slide and playing in the Goofy pool. By the way, I know the Mickey pool was redone during dry dock and it looked great!

Wheeeee!

While shopping, I asked about a free pin promotion they were doing. I had a coupon for a free pin on Thursday. Hey, can't beat free pins! While I was asking, the cast member was telling me that I should have coupons for 3 pins, one for Saturday, Monday and Thursday! I only had one. I was confused to say the least. I headed back to my stateroom and ran into our room steward, Denitsa from Bulgaria. I told her about the documents missing from our stateroom and the pin coupons. She explained to me that she was sick the day before and someone had filled in for her. Well, that certainly explained a lot, I was sorry to hear that she’d been sick, but happy to hear that our service would be improving. She was able to get me all of the correct pin coupons so I joined DD and DH up on deck and got some fruit from Goofy’s Galley and danishes from the Cove Café to munch on. After swimming, it was time to go change out of DD’s suit, get some lunch and head into Key West for a couple of hours. When we got back to our stateroom, our FE bag was overflowing with gifts from our DIS group.

The FE loot!

Needless to say, our DD was thrilled to receive all of these goodies, and no, she did not share! While DD changed into dry clothes, I went up on deck to get some pictures of us arriving in Key West.

Some lucky dude had a sweet ride!

I just love the color of the water!

As you can see, it was an absolutely beautiful day in Key West. I believe the temperatures were in the high 70's. Before we debarked, look who we found wandering up on deck 10.

The head cheese!

Since we didn’t switch our clocks last night, ship time was an hour behind Key West time. Fortunately, we didn’t have any excursions where time was an issue.

A view of the Magic.

While in port, DH went to the Mel Fischer shipwreck museum.

Gold ingot brought up from a shipwreck that you can reach in and lift up.

Necklace made out of gold to show wealth.

DD and I went to the shell store, CVS and wandered around a bit. Afterwards, we met back up with DH and went to The Blonde Giraffe for the infamous frozen key lime pie on a stick. I have to say, as much as I was looking forward to trying this, I could only eat a couple of bites. It was too rich for me.

Last year we took the Old Town Trolley and toured the island and got our picture at the Southernmost Point. After our treat, we decided to head over to the harbor (the other side of the island) to walk around. Forgot to mention that we ran in to SplashMountainManiac and his parents a lot this week, and today was no exception as we walked to the harbor. They were enjoying a cool drink in one of the many establishments in Key West when we heard a "hello!" Mike, it was always great to visit with you!

It really wasn't much more than more bars and boat slips. It was starting to get really warm, so we headed back to the ship.

Mallory Square

We put our DD in the Lab to make pasta houses for the 4th Little Pig while DH and I went to Diversions for a cool drink and to watch the Suns get beat up by the Spurs. In fact, the only other people in Diversions were 2 ladies from San Antonio. It was then time to collect our DD and get ready for dinner.

We had dinner in Parrot Cay. I love the banana bread! Here is my cocktail for the day, a Flamingo. It was delicious!

After dinner, we were also able to get formal photos with sailor Mickey & Minnie and Donald and Daisy. Then we went to the Ricky Kalmon show at 8:30 PM. He is a hypnotist. It was very funny, our DD was rolling in the aisle when Ricky had one of the volunteers act like Hannah Montana and another screech in a high pitched voice every time he heard the world “Disney” “Where is Perry the Platypus?” from Phineas and Ferb. The volunteers were great and really put on a good show. Ricky Kalmon was very good. After the show I headed to Studio Sea for Who Wants To Be A Mousketeer? It is the same premise as Who Wants to be a Millionaire except you only get 5 questions, and everybody’s a big winner. Clayton, the assistant cruise director, was the host. While I didn’t get picked to sit in the hot seat, it was fun playing along. Afterwards, it was time for bed.

I added more magnets to my door, including my DIS Addict,

DCL Addict,

Sea Day,

and 09 Cruising signs.

Thanks Kellybell!

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture, which would be doubly disappointing as I had several magnets stolen over night, including the ones that I just added. Every night thereafter, I would remove all the magnets from the door and put them out again the next day.

Here was our towel animal for the night.

Next: Vroom, vroom!

Last edited by disneyfaninaz; 04-03-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #37
pperfectmom
Has the sense of direction of a manatee
What's a chachi?

Thanks for the great report. I'm really enjoying it.

pperfectmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #38
Had2disneycruz
Mouseketeer

Love the TR and the pics!!! I can't believe anyone would steal your magnets. Great idea...taking the magnets off the door for the night. We will be cruising in 9 days and our room is off the beaten path, but I still think I will remove the magnets before going to bed. (At least the really special ones!)

Looking forward to the next installment!! Thanks for sharing!!

Wishing life were a permanent Disney vacation!

Disney World Land/Sea Beach Club/Wonder Feb 2001
Disney World - Port Orleans Riverside - Jan 2003
Disney World - Saratoga Springs - Feb 2006
Disney World - Beach Club - Dec 2007
Disney Cruise - Magic - Eastern Itinerary - April 2009
Disney Cruise - Fantasy - Western Itinerary - April 2012
Carnival Cruise - Glory - Bahamas - May 2012
Had2disneycruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #39
disneyfaninaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pperfectmom View Post
Thanks for the great report. I'm really enjoying it.
Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2disneycruz View Post
Love the TR and the pics!!! I can't believe anyone would steal your magnets. Great idea...taking the magnets off the door for the night. We will be cruising in 9 days and our room is off the beaten path, but I still think I will remove the magnets before going to bed. (At least the really special ones!)

Looking forward to the next installment!! Thanks for sharing!!
The thieves left any magnet that was personalized with a name or stateroom number alone. But, I felt better taking them off at night. We had some teenagers near us and I think they might have found mischevious things to do like that late at night.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #40
SplashMountainManiac
DIS Veteran

Great TR! I love being able to see the same cruise from a different perspective. That was such an incredibly beautiful day in Key West. I am moving slow because of various tests, but hopefully I'll be able to get some writing done this weekend. Looking forward to reading more.

Past Cruises: Disney Wonder, Bahamas June'06; Disney Wonder, Bahamas December '06; NCL Pride of Hawaii, Hawaii June '07; Disney Wonder, Bahamas September '07; RCI Navigator of the Seas, W. Caribbean December '07;Disney Magic, Mexican Riviera June '08;RCI Navigator of the Seas, W. Caribbean November'08;Disney Magic, W. Caribbean March '09;Celebrity Infinity, Alaska July '09;Disney Wonder, Bahamas August 13th '09;Disney Magic, E. Caribbean November 14th '09;Disney Wonder, Bahamas January 14th '10;Disney Magic, W. Caribbean March 6th '10;Disney Magic, Meditteranean May 5th '10; Disney Wonder, Bahamas October 3rd '10; Disney Wonder, E. Caribbean December 30th '10; Disney Wonder, Bahamas December 19th '10; Disney Magic, E. Caribbean December 30th '11; Disney Fantasy, W. Caribbean May 12th '12; Disney Dream, Bahamas, December 19th '12; Disney Dream, Bahamas February 28th '13;Disney Fantasy, W. Caribbean October 12th '13; Disney Magic, Bahamas February 28th '14

Planned Cruises: Disney Magic, S. Caribbean September 27th '14
SplashMountainManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:34 AM   #41
frdeb1999
DIS Veteran

Great TR! Love all the pictures and details!! Looking forward to more.
frdeb1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:48 AM   #42
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

Your pictures are wonderful. Sorry to hear about your magnetics, no one stole they ones that you gave us.

Good for you for making the character breakfast. I am in trouble now though DD6 can read , and she was reading your report and she is not pleased that she missed a photo op(as if she needed any more ). I explained to her that they were never awake before 9:00 so that is why we missed it.

mkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #43
disneyfaninaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplashMountainManiac View Post
Great TR! I love being able to see the same cruise from a different perspective. That was such an incredibly beautiful day in Key West. I am moving slow because of various tests, but hopefully I'll be able to get some writing done this weekend. Looking forward to reading more.
Same here, I am enjoying your report as well. Good luck on your tests and stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdeb1999 View Post
Great TR! Love all the pictures and details!! Looking forward to more.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmommy View Post
Your pictures are wonderful. Sorry to hear about your magnetics, no one stole they ones that you gave us.

Good for you for making the character breakfast. I am in trouble now though DD6 can read , and she was reading your report and she is not pleased that she missed a photo op(as if she needed any more ). I explained to her that they were never awake before 9:00 so that is why we missed it.
Sorry! Fortunately, the breakfast was very early in the week or we might have had trouble getting DD down to it so early too!

Glad to hear your magnets weren't stolen! You can probabaly relaminate your names and use them again next year!
Old 04-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #44
disneyfaninaz

Vroom, Vroom!!

Dateline: Monday, March 9, 2009

Last year, my DH and I really enjoyed the Palo Brunch and our time with just the two of us. We were fortunate enough to be able to book it again for this cruise on Monday morning at 10:30 AM. After we woke up, we went up to Topsiders for breakfast, mainly for our DD. My DH and I ate lightly as we knew what was awaiting us at Palo. After breakfast we walked up on Deck 10.

Deck 10 early Monday morning.

Just in case there was any doubt about chair saving!

Quiet Cove pool early Monday morning. Evidently, these loungers don’t have a “No Saving” warning!

My DD wasn’t thrilled, but she was going to have to go to Deck 10 with the Oceaneer’s Lab for Sports Deck Fun and Goofy World Records. Her Dad and I had a date at Palo.

We had Xenia from Russia as our server. She was very nice and informative. She gave us a tour of the buffet and gave us her recommendations. I loved the shrimp (unlike Topsiders, I didn’t have to peel it). My DH loved the scallops and tried the caviar. The Boursian, (I think that’s how you spell it), basically an herbed cheese, was excellent as were the danishes! Can you tell that I love danish pastry? Anyway, my DH ordered Eggs Benedict and Veal for his main courses while I took Xenia’s recommendation and ordered Chicken Parmesan. It was all delicious. Then it was time for dessert. DH had the tiramisu and I had the cream puff and strawberry truffle. They were also delicious.

After brunch we collected our DD from the sports deck and took her to lunch. We then headed back to the stateroom where we got a good glimpse of Cuba off the port side.

DH went to the DVC presentation, we were considering joining, and then the wine tasting with our DNH. In the meantime, DD and I went topside to walk the deck. I was in search of characters, whom I found!

I love these guys!

DD wanted to play ping pong. We found an empty table, but playing was a futile attempt as the wind made any kind of volley prohibitive. She finally gave up. We wandered around the ship a while and went shopping (DD had a gift card burning a hole in her pocket).

One of the things we were going to try to differently this year was to do more activities as a family. So on that note, at 2:15 PM we met DH for the Mickey 200 race in the Promenade Lounge. Trevor and Ponz were the crew staff in charge of this event.

The brand spanking new Mickey 200 raceway!

It was a lot of fun. We were asked to pick a team name. We chose Team Cheetah, because cheetahs are fast, right? Then they give you a potato, 4 wheels, 4 nails, a carrot, 2 toothpicks and a knife.

Our "raw" materials!

From these few materials, you were to make a car to race. The adults were to actually build the vehicle, while the children were to tell them how to do it. Now, my DH had just come from wine tasting, whether or not he should have been handling a knife was of concern, but he left the ship with the same amount of fingers he got on with. My DH was also an Eagle Scout and I think his Soap Box Derby experience kicked in as well.

As we were building our car, SplashMountainManiac happened to come by with his parents. Evidently, he is a Mickey 200 veteran and gave us a good tip about how to use the carrot in our design.

The master craftsman at work!

Which we followed.

Testing to make sure our highly technical vehicle fit the track.

There were about 9 teams, including one with Thtrmike, EPCOTgrl1 and CapeCodRob. Two teams competed in each heat. “3, 2, 1. . . vegetables, start your engines!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjjV1tdmWx0

Go, Cheetahs!!!!!

Trevor started the races while Ponz officiated at the finish line. Team Cheetah won our first 3 heats to compete in the final race against the other DISers for the trophy.

Unfortunately, Team Cheetah came in 2nd , by a carrot nose, and just missed getting the trophy, but we had a great time! Congratulations thtrMike!

Next: Anybody for a spot of tea?

Last edited by disneyfaninaz; 04-06-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #45
disneyfaninaz

Anybody for a spot of tea?

Later that afternoon, around 4:00 PM we had tickets to Alice’s Tea Party with our DNeighbors. DH decided not to go and went off to read his book. Anyway, DD and I headed down to Studio Sea for the tea party. I was surprised that my DD actually wanted to attend this year, as she is not a big fan of the Mad Hatter. We sat a ways back from the main stage so I guess she felt more comfortable. They served us watered down lemonade and Island Chocolate Chip cookies.

Hatter and Alice chose two children from the audience to be the White Rabbit and March Hare. Our fellow DISer’s Jynohn’s daughter was chosen as the White Rabbit and got to sit at the front table with Alice. Alice then instructed everybody on the proper English way to serve and drink tea and we celebrated everybody’s “Unbirthday”. It was very cute.

Alice giving instructions.

A surprise guest!

After the tea party it was time to head back up to the stateroom to get ready for formal night. Now, we are not much for getting all gussied up. We tend to be really casual out here in the West. Anyway, as part of my “celebration”, my mother-in-law bought me a new LBD (for those who don’t know, Little Black Dress) for Christmas. I shopped and shopped to find just the right jewelry and shoes to go with it. I was very excited to finally have an opportunity to wear it. Unfortunately, the only good picture was taken by Shutters and I currently have no way to scan that picture yet, so you’re just going to have to take my word that I looked very nice!

Once we were all dolled up, we headed down to the Captain’s Reception to meet the Captain, but most importantly, to get our free rum drink! We took several formal pictures with and without characters while wearing our finery before heading into Lumiere’s for dinner.

Our napkin.

Dinner was very good but the service was slow again tonight. I did enjoy the Golden Mickey Dessert. Our DD got bored at dinner so DH took her back to the room before dessert was served. Joyce gave me a Golden Mickey Dessert to take up to DH.

After dinner, I went back up to the stateroom to change and DD and I went down to see The Golden Mickey’s. The show was very entertaining, as usual, and the performers were excellent.

Cruella!

Woody & Jesse, "You've got a friend in me"

Can you feel the love?

The finale!

It was then time to call it a day. Here was our towel animal for the night.

Swan song!

Here were the door magnets for the day.

Thoughts: Today was a great day in that we stayed active and found new things to try. I still don’t think I relaxed, but I had fun! If I haven’t mentioned it already, we did feel the ship moving more this year than last. We were gently rocked to sleep with a bit more rocking this year and you could really feel the ship moving in the Walt Disney Theater.

Next: “Grab Shell Dude”

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: