Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

March, 2009 TR - I'm a White Rabbit Protégé

We just returned from our wonderful vacation at Disney World. We have previously gone in slower seasons (September and early December), and picked early March in an attempt to again thwart the crowds. You'll see how we fared as this report progresses - LOL.

For this trip, since we are going on a cruise in September, in an effort not to deplete our vacation budget entirely, we decided to stay at Pop Century. We have previously stayed at the Poly and are, self-admittedly, monorail-spoiled. I was a bit worried about the impact that not having a monorail would have to our trip, and, I hate to say it, but I will never stay at a non-monorail resort again. The Pop Century was a *great* resort in most aspects, but having to build in an hour of travel time each way (when we were used to hopping on the monorail) was a huge nuisance for us. And, in fairness to the Pop, the busses were always very prompt and efficient, and we never waited more than 15 minutes for a bus during our entire trip (even at the MK after Wishes). To give you an idea of what I mean, to make a 9:00 a.m. rope drop meant that we had to leave the Pop by 7:30 a.m. every day (which meant that we had to wake up by 7:00 a.m. to get showered and dressed). That’s a big difference in previous years where we would leave our room at the Poly at 8:30 a.m., meaning we could wake up at 8:00 a.m. And, keep in mind, it was an hour on the back end as well to get back to the Pop by the time we walked to the bus stop, waited for a bus, and got back to the Pop. Also, we have enjoyed park hopping in the past, but this trip, with travel times what they were, hopping was a no-go for us. This also means that DH and I were in a constant state of “we’re late, we’re late, we’re late" (hence the title for my Trip Report).

Anyway, that should be the extent of my griping. Onto the fun stuff:

Saturday, March 7th

Since we drive to Orlando, we always stay at the Howard Johnson located 3 miles outside of Disney the night before we check into our Disney resort. Our drive to Orlando was quite uneventful, but we had a difficult time locating the Howard Johnson via our Mapquest directions, and nothing was looking at all familiar. Upon a closer review of my AAA hotel confirmation, I realized that I had booked the wrong Howard Johnson – DUH. My mistake actually ended up being a good thing in that the Howard Johnson we stayed at this trip was much nicer than the one we usually stay at, and it also was only about 3 miles from the Disney entrance (on the west end opposed to the east end). Anyway, after we swam for a bit at the HoJo, we decided to go to Downtown Disney for the night and eat and hang out. We have made it our tradition to eat our first Disney meal at Earl of Sandwich and we found the sandwiches to again be fabulous. After we ate and shopped (World of Disney was having incredible sales, by the way), we came upon the Disney Vacation Club kiosk. Now, DH and I had already decided to buy into Bay Lake Towers at the Contemporary when we returned from our vacation, but the guys at the DVC kiosk told us that if we booked a tour at SSR, we could preview the model rooms at BLT and also receive some VIP FastPasses. Enough said: we booked for the next morning at 8:00 a.m. (me thinking we could still hit rope drop at Animal Kingdom). Anyway, we were assured that a DVC van would meet us at the Pop at 7:40 a.m. on Sunday to take us to SSR for our tour. Do you all see how I am already setting the tone of our vacation lateness??

Thanks for reading!! I will have pictures at some point, I promise!!

Up next: The most expensive bag we ever purchased.

Me (35); DD (10)
December, 2007 Land/Sea Trip Report
9 Days of Disney Dining (Food Report)
March, 2009 Trip Report
September, 2009 Eastern Cruise Trip Report

Next trips: Aulani in June, 2015 and Thanksgiving, 2015 on the Fantasy (YAY).
Old 03-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Subscribing! I love the fact that we can all share in other people's vacation stories!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
loralie
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to reading the rest.

Loralie

Here is a link to my May 2009 Grand Floridian trip report

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2186301

Can't wait to plan more trips to Disney! When you are here the rest of the world just goes away along with all the problems.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Subscribing! I love the fact that we can all share in other people's vacation stories!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loralie View Post
Looking forward to reading the rest.

Loralie
Thank you guys for joining my trip report. I plan on having the next installment up by the weekend. Take care!

Me (35); DD (10)
March, 2009 Trip Report

Old 03-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
shordiebecka
DIS Veteran

oh! looking forward to hearing more! that's so funny about the HoJo!
1990-Carribean Beach**1992- Port Orleans** 1996-All Star Music** 2000-Off Site** 2001- Port Orleans/DCL** 2003 AKL/DCL** 2005- Boardwalk Inn** 2006- All Star Music**2008 All Star Sports**2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge** 2009 CSR Holiday Trip** 2009 Beach Club Holiday Trip**2010 POR Fall Trip (Engaged!)**2012 Wilderness lodge (expecting a baby!)**2014 Boardwalk Villas (With a 9 month old!)

UP NEXT: November 2014- Art of Animation!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shordiebecka View Post
oh! looking forward to hearing more! that's so funny about the HoJo!
Thank you for reading!! Yeah, about the HoJo, DH and I both thought we were going crazy. I mean, we just been down to Disney in September, 2008 so we didn't think the scenery had changed *that* much!

Me (35); DD (10)
March, 2009 Trip Report

Old 03-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

Ehm, Crystal..... booking the wrong hotel you said? I'm guessing we wont have to worry about missing you onboard, because you've now double checked that you are booked on the right cruise and right date, correct?
Does it really work that way? Doors closing, windows opening, can you really allways count on that? I'll just continue to wish, hope and pray to make sure. Knock on wood, one, twice and trice. Still can't believe it, I really get to visit Mickey again..........

Always keep wishing, dreaming and hoping.

Beyond greatfull for so many WDW trips, dear friendship and even a dlrp wish trip in october 2014 to close the Disney chapter. Lifes come and go, memories last for ever.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofieslonglostsis View Post
Ehm, Crystal..... booking the wrong hotel you said? I'm guessing we wont have to worry about missing you onboard, because you've now double checked that you are booked on the right cruise and right date, correct?
LOL - I'm so OCD, I actually did go back and check my Dreams Unlimited cruise confirmation to make sure. Thanks for joining my TR, by the way!!

My next update will be up tonight. The installment is written but I just have to upload a couple of pictures!

Me (35); DD (10)
March, 2009 Trip Report

Old 03-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_27 View Post
LOL - I'm so OCD, I actually did go back and check my Dreams Unlimited cruise confirmation to make sure. Thanks for joining my TR, by the way!!

My next update will be up tonight. The installment is written but I just have to upload a couple of pictures!

You little teas, you. Just give us that little and than say 'see you tonight'. That's no fair!

Glad to read you'll actually be on board and don't have to be stashed away in my suitcase, though!
Does it really work that way? Doors closing, windows opening, can you really allways count on that? I'll just continue to wish, hope and pray to make sure. Knock on wood, one, twice and trice. Still can't believe it, I really get to visit Mickey again..........

Beyond greatfull for so many WDW trips, dear friendship and even a dlrp wish trip in october 2014 to close the Disney chapter. Lifes come and go, memories last for ever.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

OK, it's past 6 pm, so let's get going with that next edition! Surely you're living on my clock, aren't you?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OK, it's past 6 pm, so let's get going with that next edition! Surely you're living on my clock, aren't you?
What's sad is that at 6:00 p.m. my time, I'll still be at work! It's not so bad because I job-share and only work three 10-hour days, but it makes for *such* long days!!

Me (35); DD (10)
March, 2009 Trip Report

Old 03-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

Hmm, I can totally imagine. 10 Hours is a long run in one. But, boohoo. Everybody will get to read your update today, on monday. And I wont untill Tuesday. It's not fair I tell you, not fair.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #13
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hmm, I can totally imagine. 10 Hours is a long run in one. But, boohoo. Everybody will get to read your update today, on monday. And I wont untill Tuesday. It's not fair I tell you, not fair.
I know it, Hon - I'm a disappointment to my TR peeps already!

Me (35); DD (10)
March, 2009 Trip Report

Old 03-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

No, you're a tease. You keep us coming back, hoping there will be the next point. With a disappointment people don't come back.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #15
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_27 View Post
I know it, Hon - I'm a disappointment to my TR peeps already!
That's okay. I know I'll probably be as slow as Christmas when I start writing my trip report.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: