Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
jwhtewolfd
DIS Veteran

Two Bunnies Return to WDW

Ok, so we don't leave til the end of Spetember, but I did wait for there to be only 6 months left before I started this pre-trip report. That's alot of self control!...Right?

I guess we should start at the beginning again.

The cast:
Me (Jamie): 26 yr, fifth trip to WDW. Last trip 9/08 for fifth anniversary. Still Vet Tech at Cat Hospital. New Planner Extraordinaire.

Tony: 35 yr, bf/fiancee, third trip to WDW. Last trip 9/08 for fifth anniversary. Still stays home to do the house work. He is also the money for this trip too.

This is us at the end of our bonus spur-of-the-moment extra sixth day last year. Enough said.

The dates:
September 24, 2009 - October 3, 2009
The 24th and the 3rd are for driving from and to New Orleans, leaving 8 park days. Hopefully this time it will be enough and we won't have to add a day at the end like last year. That was an adventure waking up at 6am, booking bouceback at 7am, doing AK in the am, MK in the pm and starting the 10 hour drive home at 11:30pm! The 25th is our six year anniversary, so the pressure is on to plan an amazing first day.

Also, I should add this trip is indeed the 8-park-day free-dining bounceback trip I imagined last year.

The place:
Disney's Pop Century Resort. LOVE Lady and the Tramp, but not the idea of paying for a "preferred" location, so let the chips fall where they may. Don't really care what building we stay in. Just hoping for a king size bed. Last year one of the double beds became just a large desk, and it was a tight squeeze in the other one. Keeping our fingers crossed this year.

The cats:
Probably going to be asking my mom to take of them, since Louie is still on meds since his issues started last September. Jezzie is still very independent. Louie still pees on his dad's clothes if he leaves them on the ground. Louie has a (yet another) new nickname: Louis Patouis (loo-iss pah-two-iss)

Other misc. items:
We have a new bag we will be trying this year. Last year's messenger bag barely held up for the full trip. It has gone bye-bye. This year we will try one of those "half backpacks" that are kinda triangle shaped with one strap. I'll also have my small purse (that I always wear across the shoulder anyway) for the camera and cell phone.

Today standing in line at Home Depot there was an elderly gentleman that had a small portable stool. The guy in front of us made the mistake to remark that a stool like that would be really handy in Disney World. That was all Tony needed to hear. Until the guy had checked out and walked off, it was all Disney talk, all the time. Luckily there weren't too many people in front of us.

You may recall I bought a Katrina-ravaged, gutted house in the summer of '07. I didn't move in til Dec '07, so spring of '08 was all about furniture, home necessities, accents and such. This spring we finally have time for a garden and landscaping. I've gone goofy on rose bushes. All total, we ended up with 9 bushes. I was going to stop at 7, but I really wanted a white rose bush, so off we went in search of what was to be the last of the roses. But while we were at the local nursery, I found what was called a Disneyland Rose. It's the official rose bush of Disneyland. Of course I NEEDED to have this rose bush.

It's still a little baby, but it's supposed to have blooms that are copper, apricot, orange and pink. So we shall see what happens.

I decided to do a countdown chain this year. There's a tid-bit of Disney trivia/history hidden underneath each numbered day, so when the link is torn off we can read the "Disney fact of the day." I started it a few days ago. It's still REALLY LONG. Here it is at "185 days left until our 2009 Walt Disney World Vacation!"

I can't make ADRs til late June. Luckily we're arriving in late September, so the park hours should be up well before my ADR day. Unfortunately the first 3 days of October will be a while in coming, but I figure I can wing the last three days. At least I'm not in the predicament of the poor unfortunate souls arriving the first week of a month with little to no time to plan park days before the 90 day ADR mark. That being said, the ADR's I'm gunning for are: Boma (dinner), Coral Reef (repeat), Le Cellier, Tutto Italia (repeat at Tony's request), Crystal Palace (dinner), Tony's Italian Rest (repeat at Tony's request), Kona Cafe, Garden Grill (repeat), The Wave, and hopefully OOP Fantasmic! Brown Derby package (trying at Tony's request).

I'll be packing according to last year's packing list, as it served us very well. I didn't forget anything, I had everything I needed and I didn't have anything I didn't need or use. I could probably bring a few less snacks, but last year's were left over from evacuation, not all purchased for Disney.

Ran some numbers the other day (b/c who doesn't like doing math for the fun of it?) and found out that once my car is paid off (only 3k left ) if I keep putting away what would have gone to the car note into savings, we can keep going to WDW every year! That's of course assuming value season, value resort, free-dining, and absence of incredible price hikes.

We will definately be hitting up MNSSHP, just not sure which day yet. Had some other things happen that I thought I should put in my TR, but can't remember them right now. More to come as I remember and the planning unfolds.

Hurricane Pet Preparedness
'88 / '93 CR / '01 / 9-21-08 ASMo / 9-24-09 Pop / 1-19-11 ASMu / 9-24-11 CBR Pirate! / 1-18-12 ASMo / 1-23-13 AoA / 9-23-13 ASMo / 1-17-14 Pop (NAVC) / 1-22-14 ASMu / 3-1-14 CSR

Last edited by jwhtewolfd; 08-28-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
Where'sPiglet?
I'm going to try something different this month
Do I LOOK like I know what I'm doing

Woohoo! I found you!!

Of course, you made it so easy!

I am impressed with your chain...you made that with numbers AND facts?!?

1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013 ~*~ Disneyland

2010 Princess Half Marathon Trip Report
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
portocall
I'm gonna try the water and swat next time

I am here too... thanks to Bethany... and what she said... that chain is incredible... did you do it on the computer?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
jwhtewolfd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where'sPiglet? View Post
Woohoo! I found you!!

Of course, you made it so easy!

I am impressed with your chain...you made that with numbers AND facts?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by portocall View Post
I am here too... thanks to Bethany... and what she said... that chain is incredible... did you do it on the computer?
great to see ya'll!

yeah, the chain started at 187 days. and 187 Disney facts/trivia/history.

i typed it all out on the computer. i even found the disney handwriting font to use and printed it out in "mickey shorts red" as i call it.

essentially i copy and pasted "days until our 2009 Walt Disney World vacation!" 186 times and filled in the numbers. the trivia took a little longer to find, and to challenge myself, i kept them all short enough to fit on one typed line (in disney font, size 20). yeah, i know.

anyway, i cut each number and factoid into strips. i put a number strip on top of a factoid strip and stapled them into a link. so you can't read the factoid until you break the link (hopefully in the strategically unprinted stapled area) and pull back the number strip. it was a stroke of 2am genius!

aha! a stroke of 1am genius: post each day's factoid! (let's see how long this actually lasts ) so we have some catching up to do.
disclaimer - most of these are written more for tony, who is not an avid disser and would not know most of this stuff
187 - splash mountain has a 5 story drop that can reach up to 40 mph
186 - cinderella's castle took over 18 months to construct
185 - mickey's philharmagic has the largest seamless projection screen in the world
184 - the moat surrounding the castle holds 3.4 million gallons of water
and tony jumped the gun and pulled 183 off early, so we'll skip pulling one on tuesday, but 183 - the statue of Walt and Mickey holding hands is called "partners"

wow. is my life really this boring? oh well! suits me just fine!

'88 / '93 CR / '01 / 9-21-08 ASMo / 9-24-09 Pop / 1-19-11 ASMu / 9-24-11 CBR Pirate! / 1-18-12 ASMo / 1-23-13 AoA / 9-23-13 ASMo / 1-17-14 Pop (NAVC) / 1-22-14 ASMu / 3-1-14 CSR
Old 03-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Where'sPiglet?

Wow that is really impressive the effort you put into that chain!

By the way, your kitchen looks really nice! (At least the part I can see...)

Old 03-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
jwhtewolfd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow that is really impressive the effort you put into that chain!

By the way, your kitchen looks really nice! (At least the part I can see...)
thanks, and thanks. the open floor is part of my dining room (that's the red wall). the bar looks into the kitchen. it's nice for hiding mess behind, until the mess overflows onto the bar, as you can see

you can see some more of the house in '07 during the dreaded contractor nightmare phase on myspace http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ndID=217319968
hopefully you can access those, i don't know the site too well.

Last edited by jwhtewolfd; 03-24-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
Where'sPiglet?

I loved the photos of your house. I like all the color in the rooms, although the color name "rouge red" made me giggle.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
jwhtewolfd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I loved the photos of your house. I like all the color in the rooms, although the color name "rouge red" made me giggle.
i know! doesn't it sound like a "lady of the night"? but it's really pretty in person. i desperately wanted a red room, but i wasn't brave enough to go for it in my bedroom. it makes the dining room a little more "formal" without being stuffy. at least, i think so.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
jwhtewolfd
DIS Veteran

6 months down, 6 more to go

We officially made it to the halfway mark. Phew. That was rough.

One day in January I somehow managed to get home from work before 7pm, don't ask me how. To celebrate the occasion, I hit up Amazon.com and, well:

Plus 2 trivia books. Oops.

In researching for my countdown chain (it was originally was supposed to be picture oriented, but I was too lazy to go buy a black ink cartridge to properly print pictures - yes, you caught me. That's why i printed the chain in mickey-pants red ), I found an awesome pic of the most awesome villain ever. Check out my shiny new desktop:

A few days ago a very nice Disser posted about crocs on sale, so I broke down and finally ordered some for me and Tony. They shipped from up north, down to Mississippi and I thought "hey, they're almost here!" Then today the tracker says they shipped to Tennessee??? The site claims they will arrive in two days. That's after they've finished making their cross country tour I guess.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
kmores
Hoping for a black and gold Superbowl! GEAUX SAINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtewolfd View Post
thanks, and thanks. the open floor is part of my dining room (that's the red wall). the bar looks into the kitchen. it's nice for hiding mess behind, until the mess overflows onto the bar, as you can see

you can see some more of the house in '07 during the dreaded contractor nightmare phase on myspace http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ndID=217319968
hopefully you can access those, i don't know the site too well.
pretty!! (and I love lolcats too....)
Old 03-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
kmores
Hoping for a black and gold Superbowl! GEAUX SAINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtewolfd View Post
We officially made it to the halfway mark. Phew. That was rough.

One day in January I somehow managed to get home from work before 7pm, don't ask me how. To celebrate the occasion, I hit up Amazon.com and, well:

Plus 2 trivia books. Oops.

In researching for my countdown chain (it was originally was supposed to be picture oriented, but I was too lazy to go buy a black ink cartridge to properly print pictures - yes, you caught me. That's why i printed the chain in mickey-pants red ), I found an awesome pic of the most awesome villain ever. Check out my shiny new desktop:

A few days ago a very nice Disser posted about crocs on sale, so I broke down and finally ordered some for me and Tony. They shipped from up north, down to Mississippi and I thought "hey, they're almost here!" Then today the tracker says they shipped to Tennessee??? The site claims they will arrive in two days. That's after they've finished making their cross country tour I guess.
we got the hidden Mickey's book..bring it but never bring to the parks....

wow we should just ship ourselves to see more of the country cheaper...
Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 AM   #12
jwhtewolfd
DIS Veteran

The crocs finally arrived!....at the post office I got a thingy in my mailbox telling me to go pick them up. What a pain. Good thing I paid for free shipping, or I'd be a little more than perturbed. I'll have pictures later, especially if I can persuade Tony to go pick them up for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We practiced for Food and Wine Festival this weekend at the Louisiana Crawfish Festival. In two nights DBF and I ate:
soft shell crab
chicken on a stick
crawfish pasta
crawfish etouffee
crawfish beignets
shrimp and crab bisque
crab cake over dirty rice
onion mum
egg rolls
funnel cake
boiled crawfish
crawfish catfish
gumbo
butterfly potatoes

There was more, but we just couldn't pack any more away.

The Disneyland Rosebush has a bud on it! As soon as it blooms (if we can get past this cold snap) I'll have pictures.

The countdown chain trivia bits for days "182 - 178 days left until our 2009 Walt Disney World Vacation!":

182 - "It's a Small World" is sung in 5 languages: english, spanish, swedish, japanese and italian
181 - Mickey's Toontown Fair was originally called Mickey's Birthdayland
180 - "It's Tough to Be A Bug" 3-D glasses are called "honorary bug eyes" (he knew that one)
179 - The live oak known as the Liberty Tree in Liberty Square is 135 years old
178 - The Carousel of Progress moved from Disneyland to WDW in 1973

Old 03-31-2009, 08:09 PM   #13
jwhtewolfd
DIS Veteran

Someone posted a youtube clip of Scar and Shere Kahn having a converstaion. It was pretty cool, and gave me an idea for the new Design-a-tee store at DTD. I want to make Tony and I "complementing" shirts (not actually matching). Here's the idea:

You're trying my patience

for Tony, and for me:

You have no idea

This would make me happy since I couldn't find any Scar shirts last time. I looked in HS's villain store and at World of Disney, but no dice. I fiddled around with the "create your own" at disneyshopping.com, but I'm leary of ordering stuff online without having seen it with my own eyes. This will give me more to look forward to on our first night when we plan to go to DTD anyway. And if I ordered them online now, Tony's would be all ragged out before we got to WDW. I would like to wear them the day we go to MNSSHP (probably Tuesday the 29th).

It would also be kinda cool, but also kinda cheesey, to make some for our anniversary day. The tough part is figuring out something fitting, but not too lovey-dovey. And definately animals. Lady and the Tramp, Pongo and Perdy, Simba and Nala....something on that order. But that would be the extent of the matching shirts. I wonder if the design-a-tee store takes the Disney visa reward card. I'll have to look into that.

For lack of a better segue:

We know our plans for Thursday. Wake up early, drive, arrive, check in and find the room. Bring the bags in (I don't unpack the bags into hotel drawers 1. eww and 2. I'm very efficient at living out of bags since '05) then head to DTD. Get CS at DTD (thinking of trying Earl of Sandwich), browse, shop, relax, etc. And now - make Scar and Shere Kahn shirts!

Friday was throwing me a curve ball, b/c although we don't have September hours yet, we DO know that there is a MNSSHP on Friday the 25th. Of course we want to go to MK our first day, but getting kicked out at 7 and no Wishes kinda sucks. We could go to the party that night, but being Friday, it's probably premium price. Plus last year we tried the go-til-midnight the first day and it wore us OUT. The solution we (I) came up with is to go to MK Friday, leave when the party starts and head to Port Orleans for a "romantical" carriage ride.

Tony wants to eat at Tony's before we leave MK, but I think we can do better for our anniversary. Typically Epcot would have EMH on Friday night, but it will be the first night of Food and Wine Fest, so no telling what will happen, not to mention how crowded Epcot will be. So Coral Reef may be a possibility, or we might just call it an early night. We'll see what happens once the official schedule comes out, but at least we have a plan and a finite list of possibilities. That makes the whole trip a little less daunting.

177 - 176 days left until our 2009 wdw vacation
177 - the lasers used on Buzz Lightyear are FDA certified Class 2 lasers
176 - The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh replaced Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (to which Tony said pbbbbbttt as this was his favorite ride when he went when he was little)

Old 03-31-2009, 10:01 PM   #14
Where'sPiglet?

I like the shirt ideas.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:04 AM   #15
jwhtewolfd
DIS Veteran

Look what finally came in!

Tony's:

and mine:

I probably won't wear them at WDW, but I needed something that I could slip on quickly for short outings. Z-coils are GREAT for all day at work, but they are a pita to strap on every time I want to step outside. Who has time to tie their shoes?!

175 days left until our 2009 wdw vacation - Tinker Bell first flew from Cinderella's Castle on July 4, 1985

Jezzie had her dental today. She did very well under anesthesia. Before she was knocked out...not so much. She turns into a little heathen when I bring her work. I did well at my dentist appointment yesterday too. No cavities, but he wants to extract all my wisdom teeth OUCH. Next cleaning is scheduled the week before we leave, so I'll have a nice, clean, shiny smile for pictures with Mickey.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: