Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Southern California Theme Parks
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
surgefest
DIS Veteran

Universal Hollywood

for those who have been to Universal Hollywood what sort of reviews can you give me... We've been to the one in Orlando but it sounds like they are Totally different... How long would it take to do the whole park in early may on a weekend??? What are the attractions like?? How far is it from Disneyland??? Any information on your experiences or tips you can give would be great! Thanks
surgefest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
disneydreamertoo
Mouseketeer

We went last summer and really liked it. We went on a weekend and it took us around 40 min. to get there but traffic was very light! On the way home, we hit traffic and it took over 1 hour and half to get back. The vibe was very relaxed and we loved the Simpson ride! We did the tour and Simpson ride right away and avoided long lines. I don't think front of the line passes would be worth the extra price--even during the peak summer season the waits were not that long. We rode Mummy 3-4 times, and the Dinosaur ride at least twice. We ate for VERY reasonable prices at Jody Moroni (?) hot dog/sausage place at City Walk. Portions are huge, food was great!

disneydreamertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
surgefest
DIS Veteran

Thanks! Anyone else?
surgefest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
crasher11
Off to never never land

We have visited US the last 2 times we have went to california. We took the Grayline tour and spent the day there each time. The the 2 tips i could offer up is to do as much in the upper or lower lot as you want because they have an escalator from hell that takes about 30 mins to go up and down. Second tip is try eating at Saddle Ranch Chop house. They have large portions for the price, great service and the food was awesome. Here is a picture of the escalators and if you have small kids in strollers, they cant be in the stroller on the escalator.

[IMG][/IMG]
Tropicana Inn May 2007
WDW ASMo resort May 2009

crasher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
dsnymomadopt2china
Mouseketeer

Just got back from Universal

I did DL last Tuesday and it was at full spring break levels. We stayed at the Quality Inn and suites across the street from DL to be able to walk there. So last Thursday I drove leaving at 8:30am and we got to Universal at 9:45, I would say the traffic was probably "normal". We left at Closing at 6:05pm and we got to our hotel at 7:15pm. I took 4 kids 2 age 5 and 7, and a 13 and 14 yr old and my mom. I hadn't been there since I was 14. I loved it, it could have been enhanced by the fact of the mob at DL it almost seemed tranquil! We never waited more than 15 minutes for any ride, most we walked onto. There were a bunch of characters and we just had a great time.
dsnymomadopt2china is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:20 AM   #6
phishy25
Mouseketeer

We went a few years ago at the end of June. Even at that peak times it was not as crowded as Disneyland. We got there when they opened and were able to do a ton of rides right off the bat. Some we rode more than once. The studio tours and Shrek 4D had the longest lines. Traffic was about an hour back.

DL@HOJO 6/05. DL@HOJO 5/09
phishy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

We went wo years ago mid August and it was very crowded and very hot on the hill. Many rides were over an 1 hour wait. The eating places were backed. Travel between DLR and USH averaged 1.5 hours each way.
We had a great time.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:05 AM   #8
caz
Earning My Ears

I am interested to know if it is any different from the one in Florida too as we have been to that one several times and I don't want to make the journey to find it is the same.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
jlmarr
You got that right

Yes, it is different - for one thing they actually shoot movies there! The DISboard podcasts have a glowing review of the Universal VIP tour - I think that was the Feb 11, 2009 podcast. Pricey, but if you're a fan of the movies it might be worth it.
jlmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
MVBowers111
Mouseketeer

we did Univeral Hollywood in June 2007 and were a little disappointed. We had seen pics from my sisters Orlando Universal trip and that's what we were expecting. My sister was very disappointed as well, she thinks the Orlando park is much better. We still had a great time and lines compared to Disney were short. We loved the Mummy and Jurassic park rides, the backlot was really cool too but all in all we expected something more. But, we'd probably do it again in a few years and the kids enjoyed it because it was something they'd never done before.
MVBowers111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
Huff
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVBowers111 View Post
we did Univeral Hollywood in June 2007 and were a little disappointed. We had seen pics from my sisters Orlando Universal trip and that's what we were expecting. My sister was very disappointed as well, she thinks the Orlando park is much better.
What were you expecting compared to Orlando? Universal Hollywood is FAR superior in my opinion. Now if you are comparing it to Universals Islands of Adventure in Orlando that would be totally different. Hollywood has REAL studios and backlots dating to the very early days of movies and TV. The tram tour at hollywood is vastly superior for that matter. Most of the rides and attractions are similar. I find attention to detail much better at Hollywood. It is a real working studio although the amusement park part of it is seperate from the studios (tram tour takes guests around the studio section).
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: