Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
mouselovenfamily
DIS Veteran

CHA Error on D90 update

A couple of months ago some of us with the D90 were having the CHA error. I spoke with Nikon this morning and it is a card issue. I just bought a SanDisk Extreme III SDHC card yesterday and already the error. Nikon said the Extreme III is not an "approved" card. So I'm off to purchase another card. I will also be sending the camera into Nikon when I return from WDW in April to have it checked.

Thought this may be useful to fellow D90 users if it is an issue for you too.

Renee
Old 03-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouselovenfamily View Post
A couple of months ago some of us with the D90 were having the CHA error. I spoke with Nikon this morning and it is a card issue. I just bought a SanDisk Extreme III SDHC card yesterday and already the error. Nikon said the Extreme III is not an "approved" card. So I'm off to purchase another card. I will also be sending the camera into Nikon when I return from WDW in April to have it checked.

Thought this may be useful to fellow D90 users if it is an issue for you too.

Renee

Hmmm....that's unfortunate, especially considering ALL of my memory is Extreme III. I haven't had a problem yet with the D90 and using this type of memory. Did they recommend not using it?? We are going away to DC for the weekend in two weeks and I would hate to get down there and have an issue and come back without any pics.
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
wenrob
DIS Veteran

So what would be an approved card?

I got the error when we were out at Red Rock and I started to freak out a little bit. I switched cards, took out the battery and was still getting it. DH and I came to the conclusion that I wasn't following through with holding the button down and letting the camera finish it's bracketing. Once I slowed down and kept the button down until all three shots were taken I didn't have any more problems. From what I can tell CHA is a catchall error not specific to one thing. I could be totally wrong of course but I don't think in my case it wasn't the memory card.

Last edited by wenrob; 03-21-2009 at 10:37 AM.
wenrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
mouselovenfamily
DIS Veteran

It's very possible only certain cameras are having this problem and I am one of the lucky ones . I've had the problem on and off since I got the camera. It usually happens in fast shooting and night shots, like Spectromagic. SanDisk is approved, 4mb and higher, it's the Extreme that is not approved, yet. I would have thought it should work.

The photos I take are on the disk, it just takes the camera awhile to catch up to the card, which stalls the camera in the meantime. If I put in a new card, it's good to go.

If you've never had this happen, it may never be an issue. Enjoy your trip and hopefully no issues for you.

Renee
Old 03-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
wenrob
DIS Veteran

So are you saying the cards are too fast for the camera?
Old 03-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
GoofyontheHiSeas
Do you know the Nutmeg Man.. The king of whats left

This is the only issue that made me think twice about this camera. I had my first one last weekend at Disneyland. Yes I use extreme III but this one was my fault. I had taken a series of pictures and for some reason hit the display button while it was still clearing the memory. Simply popped the battery and it went away. Hope that some day they might come up with a firmware fix for this.
GoofyontheHiSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
wenrob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyontheHiSeas View Post
This is the only issue that made me think twice about this camera. I had my first one last weekend at Disneyland. Yes I use extreme III but this one was my fault. I had taken a series of pictures and for some reason hit the display button while it was still clearing the memory. Simply popped the battery and it went away. Hope that some day they might come up with a firmware fix for this.
With my experience, your experience and what mouselovinfamily has said it sounds as if maybe we are getting ahead of the camera while it's still "thinking."
Old 03-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenrob View Post
With my experience, your experience and what mouselovinfamily has said it sounds as if maybe we are getting ahead of the camera while it's still "thinking."
If that's the problem---I will never have an issue, I'm waaaaaay too slow to ever get ahead of the camera.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

I had that problem with several different cards with my D70S. I did find where they recommended you format the memory card in your computer, then reformat in the camera. I haven't had any errors since I did that but I still carry an extra card to be prepared.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
mouselovenfamily
DIS Veteran

I have no Idea what's up...it's just strange! I went and got a SanDisk Ultra 4gb card this afternoon and so far no problem. The lady at the store was confused too. My "cheaper, slower" cards were fine. The Extreme was getting the error, we change batteries, gave the camera time to just set in on mode, nothing! There is a lady coming in tonight with a D90 and she is going to run it by her to see if there is any ideas she has. It makes no sense to me.

I will send it to Nikon to check, after I get back form the trip.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #11
decomouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
If that's the problem---I will never have an issue, I'm waaaaaay too slow to ever get ahead of the camera.
Ha! I have days when I feel that way, too.

2011 Wedding - Grand Floridian
2010 Xmas, 2007 Xmas & 2006 Xmas - Polynesian
2005 - Port Orleans Riverside
1992 Xmas & 1998 - Disneyland Hotel
1980, 1984, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002 & 2003 - Contemporary Tower
decomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:30 AM   #12
donaldduck1967
DIS Veteran

I've been using PNY 4gb cards and have'nt had any problems so far.
donaldduck1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #13
mouselovenfamily
DIS Veteran

I went and downgraded my card and the card worked and then quit! So after searching several forms yesterday, It seems that this is a common problem but no one really has an answer as to why. One person thinks it is a connection problem when the card is not tight enough to keep a connection. So I tried pulling the card out and inserting with pressure in the direction of connection points...worked and still working.

Still makes no sense as to why it quits mid shooting. I will send it to Nikon anyway when I get back from my trip. I thought about sending it and just using my sisters camera but just can't do it. I'll just take several extra cards and hope I can get some shots.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #14
DisneySuiteFreak
DIS Veteran

Bummer...I hope you can get it fixed. I have several 8GB PNY and 4Gb Kingston - all are sdhc and no problems.
DisneySuiteFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
My2Girls66
DIS Veteran

Definitely sent it back. You shouldn't be dealing with any probs on a brand new camera. It doesn't take them that long to get it back to you. Maybe 2 weeks. I had to send my D80 and 18-135mm lens in back in Jan because I was getting an F-- error. I had it back within 2 weeks. Unfortunately it started doing it again and just the lens went back in last week since I only get the error with that one lens(looks like its the lens and not the body which is a good thing). Pain in the butt but I hated to have to mess with the lens to get it to work.
Maybe give them another call and see if they could fix it and get it back to you before your trip. It would be a bummer to be worried about the camera not working in Disney and potentially missing some shots.

Susan
My2Girls66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: