Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Alarose
Mouseketeer

Disneymoon Trip Report- We Were the Ones With the Ears!

Disneymoon Trip Report January 8th-15th

"What??? You went to Disney in JANUARY and are only telling us about it now????

Hey....better late than never.

Yeah, my head is hanging a bit low, but we did run into some computer problems and work got busy. I am starting now though...

So...here ya go!

Disneymoon Trip Report- 1/8th-1/15th

(clickable)

Cast: Meet the bride and groom…and parents (what???) that you will get to know on this trip

The plan: When, where, why?

Day 1- Arrival, check-in, and a blown away husband

Last edited by Alarose; 03-19-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
Alarose
Mouseketeer

Cast

Cast: The Bride, the groom, and her parents

Groom- Steve

LOL, this was after I told him we had a half-hour to wait before they’d let us into Animal Kingdom

Bride- Me-Tessa
Hmmmm, not sure what this was after. I think it was while waiting or right after Tower of Terror. Rarrr!

And…vry briefly- my parents- Sheryl (dad) and Mary. Just for a few hours! We hadn’t seen them over a month and they were staying pretty close to Disney World, so they went to the world and bought us lunch.

Mostly though, just Steve and Me

Steve and I were married on October 25th, 2008. We had to wait until January to take our honeymoon because that is when Steve could take his vacation days. It was a wonderful wedding with Disney Fairytale Touches. Here are a selection of photos from that magical day; http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...98&postcount=4

Steve has never been to Disney World before, and I really wanted his first trip to be as magical as the ones I remembered. At first, I didn’t even dare to dream we would be able to honeymoon at Disney. First, money issues. That is why this was a pretty low budget trip for a honeymoon. And second, Steve really isn’t…or should I say wasn’t, (!!!) much of a Disney fan GASP!

He literally turned to me one day pretty much out of the blue and said, “Honey, I know you have always wanted to go to Disneyworld for your honeymoon, so we should do it.” I love that man!

Last edited by Alarose; 03-20-2009 at 07:03 AM. Reason: fixed wedding pictures link
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Alarose
Mouseketeer

The Plan- When, where, what?

The Plan: When, where, what?

When- We arrived at the wonderful world by plane on January 8th 2009 and departed on January 15th 2009

Where- We decided to stay at Pop Century. It was either a moderate resort and a shorter stay or a value and a longer stay… not a hard choice for us. We loved Pop Century. They treated us very nicely.

Why- I love Disney World and my husband loves me. Now he loves Disney World…and I think still loves me.

Extras- We did decide to splurge and buy the meal plan. We loved it!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
Alarose
Mouseketeer

Day 1

Day 1- Arrival, check-in, and a blown away husband

We rolled out of bed about 5:15 A.M…well, I jumped and Steve rolled (after I pushed him). Steve’s brother came to pick us up and drive us the airport. I was so worried about this! Mark had never been to our place before, and I had visions about him getting lost and showing up 45 minutes late. I had no reason to worry, because he arrived right on time and we made it in plenty of time to the airport.

This is us waiting at the airport

Our plane departed at 6:35 A.M. I wanted to arrive by 5:15 A.M. and Steve said no earlier than 6:00 A.M. We compromised on 5:45. It was a smaller airport, and Steve was right we were there plenty early. Alright….Husband 1 --Wife 0. Wait, I am going to give myself a point for getting our entire honeymoon trip for under $2000 (for everything!). So, Husband 1--Wife 1. Well, then I really should give Steve a point for saying we could go to Disneyworld. Husband 2--Wife 1.

Our plane touched down in Orlando at 1:30 P.M. (which was about 40 minutes earlier than scheduled).

So, then we headed to the Magic Express Station. Now, Magic Express was NOT what I expected. For some reason I was under the expectation that Magic Express consisted of a person standing by a booth in the airport and then you’d check in and get on the bus. It never occurred to me how MANY people would be waiting in line and how big the Magic Express Station was. We were wandering for a good half hour trying to find something a lot smaller than we expected. Where are the signs? Were we blind? Finally we found the place.

I couldn’t believe how many people were there. It didn’t occur to me how busy Marathon weekend would be. The time we came must have been bad, because I swear I’ve heard people say they’ve had to wait only 20/40 minutes. We had to wait a lot longer than that.

Then we ran into the realization that they would split us up. Now, I didn’t make too big of a deal about this, but I think when a group of two comes, they should both be able to stand in the line. We were on our honeymoon. Oh well. Steve volunteered to stand in line while I sat with out stuff. This took an hour and a half! It was just crazy!

Finally, we made it on the bus. Now, one great thing about going Marathon weekend is how energetic the runners are. It was great. They were cheering and blowing horns. The trip to Pop Century just flew by!

Finally, we made it to our resort

We checked in. Right away we ran into our first bit of Disney Magic and a couple of red faces (ours). While speaking with the CM a manager walked up to us and asked if Steve and I were on our honeymoon. We said we were. A part of me wished I had kept my mouth shut. It went something like this. The CM yelled across the room to another CM “Hey Dan!” Dan yelled back. “Yeah??” Now, this made everyone standing in line (and it was pretty busy) and all of the Cms stop and look. “These two are on their honeymoon.” Dan replied, “Oh really?” “What do we do for people on their honeymoon?” Then the two CMs (the other CMs may have joined in, I can’t quite remember) did a little chant. I can’t remember how it goes. Something about getting our grove on at Disney. Then everyone cheered and hooped and hollered.

Ok…so it was very embarrassing, but we loved it. We got many congratulations and it just made our night.

Also at the front desk we got our just married pins.

So, after that we ran to the gift store to pick up these beauties!

Hot chocolate! Always yummy!

Then we made a quick trip to our hotel room to drop off some of our stuff and change before we headed to the parks.

Now, I know it isn’t always advisable to go to the park the first night you arrive at the world…you’re supposed to unpack and relax, but we got there so early it seemed a waste! We were so excited!

So, we headed to the park people usually head to on their first day. Magic Kingdom! Steve agreed to wear his the Mickey groom hat I got him (I bought both of ours off eBay, I didn’t like the new groom hat style), even though he swore it would never touch his head when he saw it. So…husband---3 wife---1 (Eak!!!)

Even though he still refused the pair of Crocks I bought him. He insisted on wearing his boots…he’ll learn later lol.

We arrived at Magic Kingdom about 6:20 P.M.

Magic Kingdom wasn’t very busy! We only went on a few rides, but we didn’t have to wait at all. Now, sadly I forgot my camera, so I don’t have any pictures from this first night.

I am so glad that the first attraction I chose to take my husband to was Disney’s Philaharmagic.

We walked into the theatre and got our 3D glasses. So, Steve was a bit grumpy. He was hungry, but it made more sense for us to eat after we went on the ride because of the direction we were walked. The show started and he sneered “I don’t even need these glasses.” I said…”just you wait babe.” Then he was blown away! He was laughing and ducking with the rest of us. He said “I never imagined it could be like that.” So…. Husband--3 Wife---2.

That put Steve in a much better mood. We next headed to get our lunch at Columbia Harbor House. Now, I’ve read mixed reviews about this place, but both of us were very pleased. Steve got the chicken with fries and I got the fish with the fresh apples. There isn’t much selection, but the food is fresh and good.

Now, I had been sick and didn’t quite have my appetite back yet (something that really concerned me because I love Disneyworld food, especially while on the meal plan), but the few bites of fish I had were wonderful. Steve said his chicken was pretty good, which is a compliment from Steve.

Next we ran to Toon Town and we poked through Minnie and Mickey’s houses. Now, I enjoyed this and I thought Steve would find it kind of cute, but he just didn’t get it. He didn’t hate it, but just didn’t get it. Oh well, that wasn’t quite a hit.

Luckily, we didn’t stay there for long and I thought we’d check the wait time for one of my favorite rides. The Haunted Mansion. Now, there is a story from my child about me making my dad go on this ride with me 8 times in a row. It is my all time favorite. I really didn’t think we’d be able to ride it before we had to find our seats for Spectromagic (I wanted to get our seats at least 45 minutes before the parade started).

The haunted Mansion was a walk on though! I was so happy! This was the first ride/ride Steve has been on, and he also loved it. He was again blown away by the Disney effects. He thought it was cool. I could tell he was having the time of his life.

After Haunted Mansion we went to secure our seats for Spectromagic. We did not mind at all sitting for 40 minutes…it had been a long day. We ended up talking to a lot of interesting people. Again, we had our Mickey and Minnie wedding mouse ears on so we got many congratulations from Cms and guests, and while waiting a handful of people came up and talked to us.

Now, not everyone but I could tell a few of the people that asked when we were married and we replied October 25th were a little taken aback that we were wearing our ears. I’m sorry, we are just as entitled to wear our ears proudly as a couple who got married the day before. It isn’t our fault we couldn’t afford to go for a few months or that Steve’s vacation time didn’t start until January. Ok…rant over.

No one was mean about it, but it was a source of irritation for part of the trip.

Ok, so then Spectrormagic started. I am always amazed by that parade and Steve was entranced. What a wonderful way to end our first night at Disneyworld.

After the parade we decided to go back to the hotel room and catch Wishes another night. It had been a long but wonderful day. We unpacked and settled in. We watched a little T.V. and both were out by 10:30.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
Alarose
Mouseketeer

Ok...I'm done for now. I hope you enjoy so far!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
DaPanMan
Mouseketeer

I'm in!!!!
Disney World 2006 ~ SSR
Diseny World 2007 - SSR
Disney World 2009 - AKL
Disney World 2010 - BWV
Disney Cruise 2010 - 1st Cruise
Old 03-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

How come your refillable mugs say 2007?
Are they from Year of a Million Dreams?

Your first picture link to your wedding links to your picture in your sig.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
Alarose
Mouseketeer

Mari, LOL...opps. Those aren't the pictures of our mugs. I am afraid I didn't take an actual picture of those, but just did a search and copied and pasted the merchandise pics. LOL, didn't even see they said 2007. We DID buy the mugs, they were still selling YOMD Mugs, so that is what we got.

Ok...I'll go fix that link to my wedding pics. Thanks for lettng me know.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
PrincessNewsie
DIS Veteran

yay!
Old 03-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
joleen76
Forever Mickey's Girl

Location: Corpus Christi, Texas (aka retirment training for Disney)

My DH and I had a hometown wedding and a Disneymoon too!!

I'm along for the ride.

6th grd DL; 7/95 Swan; 5/03 ASMo; 5/04 POP; 5/05 POP; 5/06 POR; 5/07 POFQ; 11/07 BC T-day/MVMCP ;6/08 YC & CR DISNEYMOON ; 11/08 AS Sp. T-day/MVMCP 6/10 Ft. Wild Cab; 6/11 POP; 8/12 ASMo; 6/14 CBR Grad Trip
Mom Dad DS 18 DS 14 DS 12 DS 10
Old 03-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
tink1957
DIS Veteran

I'm in, can't wait to read more.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:43 AM   #12
PrincessNewsie
DIS Veteran

Excited for more
Old 04-01-2009, 05:17 AM   #13
DrZoidberg
Mouseketeer

I'm in.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #14
miabellarose
Mouseketeer

HI
I'm from Iowa too! I was there during the same time as you, running in the 1/2 marathon. I was expecting way less crowds because all I've heard was January was the "slow" season but it was sooo crowded. What did you think? Great start to your TR. And it's never too late to write about your trip. My DSIL is still thinking about writing one from our time in January.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #15
livinlife25
DIS Veteran

I'm in !

April 2014- Pop Century
Jan 2013- POR
Sep 2009- AKL
2 visits in 1990's- OKW

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: