Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #16
NashvilleTrio
DIS Veteran

Day 2 at BG

On our second day we slept in a little and made it to the park around 10:00. The crowds were still very light this day and it was a Saturday. Greg took some random pictures as we made our way to GWAZI...

GWAZI was pretty fun - we rode the Lion side first and then the Tiger side. Both times were pretty much walk-ons. After those 2 rides I was done with the wooden coaster. I had started to get a headache and it was only the first ride of the day!!!

After GWAZI we headed toward SHEIKRA. Here are a few random pics we took on the way...

This guy was playing the piano on the patio of the Garden Gate Cafe...

BG is really a beautiful park. We enjoyed looking around at all the sights as we walked.

This peacock was not afraid of people at all. He/She would occassionally start squealing/screaming/crying - sort of strange and loud! It definitely attracted a crowd.

This could be a picture from Dollywood!

(If you haven't been to Dollywood, it's the park that Dolly Parton opened in Pigeon Forge, TN and it has a big Butterfly theme throughout the park.)

Day 2 Continued in next post...

Trip Report: Trip Report!!! Busch Gardens and SeaWorld
NashvilleTrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #17
NashvilleTrio
DIS Veteran

The Lory Landing area was one of my favorite stops of the day. We bought 1 cup of nectar for about $4 and took turns holding it. Josh got a little freaked out when he tried it and spilled some of the nectar. He's not sure he wants to try this again. Anyway, as soon as we stepped in the door holding our nectar 3 or 4 birds swooped down and landed on my arm and hand and started drinking. Very cool stuff! As long as you don't have a fear of birds, I highly recommend trying this.

Next was SHEIKRA! I forgot that we actually rode this on day 1 as well but we didn't take any pictures that day. This was an awesome coaster. We all had so much fun riding it. The lift hill is pretty steep, probably about 60 degrees, so you can't help but to just lie back and wait for the top. When you get to the edge of the drop you just hang there for a few seconds before you go down the first hill which is a little more than 90 degrees. You actually feel yourself lift out of you seat for a couple of seconds. There is one more hill where you slow down almost to a stop before going over it and one big loop. It's a short ride but a great one. We took advantage of our re-ride privilege on this each time we rode it. We were able to just stay in our seats and show a worker our passes. We probably made some of those waiting in line a little mad, but sorry Charlie! Get yourselves a Platinum Pass and you can re-ride too!

After a couple of rides on SHEIKRA we headed over to the Jungala area. And we were greeted by the stilt walkers...

Jungala area was great! Josh was able to run around the play areas while we waited by the Orang Cafe and enjoyed a vanilla soft serve with strawberries waffle cone. Yummy!

Here's Josh on the play area...

Josh & I later rode the Wild Surge together. It was very fun. It's like a mini Tower of Terror and it's outside instead of in a building.

We also rode the Jungle Flyers which is basically a zip line ride where you sit and fly forward and then backward to the station. Josh was a little apprehensive about this at first because he wasn't sure the wire would hold him up. He decided to ride as long as I did as well, and then after the first time he went back several more time by himself.

IT'S A LEMUR!!!!

That's the first half of day two.
I'm going to have to take a break to go make dinner. The rest of Day 2 will be my next installment!!
Thanks for reading!!!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #18
turning40withMickey
I can shine with my DIS friends divine as we relate what we fine (find) on the CB threads
Imagine this dumb thing I did today…

Great report!
I love the pictures and your descriptions of the rides!
We can't wait to visit!
Old 03-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #19
czycropper
DIS Veteran

Sounds great! I wonder if I can upgrade to Premium Passes since I have to DDs that are coaster fanatics!

I got the Discovery Cove deal with tickets to BG - so I'm not sure whether I'll be able to upgrade!

1972 - 1975 - Offsite; 1976 - Contemporary; 1977-1988 - Off site; 1992 - POR/Swan; 2004 - Poly Concierge; 2005 - off site; 2008 - 6/22-6/26 @CBR for dance with Disney Magical Music Days
2009 - 5/22-27 - quick trip to Discovery Cove & Busch Gardens
2011 - WWoHP

Non-Orlando trips
2006 - Colorado
2007 - Caribbean
2010 - Galapagos
2012 - Cedar Point/Holiday World/Hershey Park/Great Adventure/Dorney Park - aka "The Great Roller Coaster Vacation"
2013 - England & France
czycropper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #20
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Great pictures and report! Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:52 AM   #21
RabFlmom
DIS Veteran

Like I said before." I love the pics and report!" I so want to go to BG soon especially after seeing the pics with so little people. Been a long time since I have seen it that empty!
Old 03-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #22
Janet Hill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by czycropper View Post
Sounds great! I wonder if I can upgrade to Premium Passes since I have to DDs that are coaster fanatics!

I got the Discovery Cove deal with tickets to BG - so I'm not sure whether I'll be able to upgrade!
An upgrade to a Platinum Pass would be rather pricey, so you would have to plan on using it for more than a roller coaster fast pass. These passes are valid for two years at all of the 9 Busch parks and if purchased in Fl is ~ 430/each and if purchased in Williamsburg they are ~300/each. I'm not sure of the cost at the other parks. They do have a monthly payment plan.

We purchased ours about 7 years ago and as long as we don't let them expire, we continue to renew at the rate we initially purchased at (~200/each). Great value, but don't know how long it will last if the parks get sold.
Janet Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #23
mercydisney
Is it on sale?

Thank you so much for taking the time out and writing a trip report. I am really enjoying it. We are thinking of getting a 2 yr passport for Busch Gardens, Aquatica, and Seaworld.. All the info we can get on the park is making is making it easier on us to decide.
mercydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #24
Worfiedoodles
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the fabulous report! We are planning our first visit to BG with ds11, and I think he is going to love all the coasters, he is a little daredevil!

Maria

Worfiedoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #25
WALTSAGOD
DIS Veteran

Pics keep getting better and better.
WALTSAGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #26
jopaly
Mouseketeer

Great report, you've inspired us! We bought Flexticket Plus' so that we will be able to go to BG at least once during our trip. Can't wait to read more.
jopaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #27
NashvilleTrio
DIS Veteran

Hello all! I'm back with the 2nd half of Day 2 at BG.

Next we had lunch at Bengal Bistro which is right by the Jungala area. I think these are about the only food pictures we took. I had the italian sandwich with potato salad which I thought was excellent. The sandwich was fresh and had a great taste. Greg had the meatball sandwich and other than being a little messy, he said it was really good. And Josh had the kid's hot dog meal with carrots (or fries), a box of raisins, and a drink. We also got a cup of grapes and a piece of cherry cheesecake. Everything was delicious. I think our total for this meal was about $38.

We got a great table in the back of the covered area and the train tracks were right there behind us.

After lunch we headed over to KUMBA - this is an ok ride for me. Not as smooth as MONTU or SHEIKRA though. It was fun...Josh & Greg enjoyed it more than I did. Josh even did another ride by himself using the re-ride privilege. He's becoming such the coaster enthusiaist! We're so proud!

Next we wanted to see the Pirates 4-D show but had missed the previous showing by about 10 minutes. We passed the time until the next showing by riding SANDSTORM

and the carousel. The Pirates movie was pretty good. Not as good, IMO, as Shrek 4-D at US though. Leslie Nielsen stars in this movie so it was pretty funny. And since it was 4-D we got the water sprays and the air blasts and the seat movements as well.

We decided that we wanted to ride MONTU again so we headed that direction and stopped in King Tut's tomb first.

Oh no, King Tut's spirit has taken over Josh's body!!! RUN!!!!!!!!!!!

The King Tut's tomb attraction was empty when we went through it. And it was welcome break from the sun. It was interesting to look at all the memorabilia.

Continued in next post...

Old 03-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #28
NashvilleTrio
DIS Veteran

After a couple of MONTU rides we headed over to the Myombe Reserve to see the gorillas and chimps...

I think we caught this gorilla relieving herself...oops!

Next was the alligator pit and the Curious Caverns...

The Curious Caverns just had a bunch of creepy crawly things like snakes, spiders and such.

After the Caverns we decided to ride the train. We had to wait about 15 minutes for the next one to arrive but found a good seat and got some great pictures. This is the ride where we saw the giraffe about 10 feet from us. Here is that picture...

And here are the other pics we got from the train...

A not so flattering shot of a zebra...

Josh looks confused - like "why are we riding this train instead of SHEIKRA?"

"Well, ok then, we'll head back to SHEIKRA"...after riding this a couple of more times (using our re-ride privilege of course) we let Josh get wet from the spray that the SHEIKRA trains make as they pass through the water area. He LOVED doing this - I think this was probably his favorite part of the day.

At some point on this day we saw the KATONGA show, but I don't remember when it was. Anyway, it was a FABULOUS show! I had read that it was Broadway quality and I would have to agree. Very, very good - I definitely think this show should be on everyone's MUST DO list. Don't miss it!

We finally headed back to the hotel to let Josh put some dry clothes on and then we walked from our hotel to Red Lobster for dinner. The Red Lobster is only a couple of blocks from the Holiday Inn Express so it was a very quick walk.

Well, that's Day 2. Next will be Day 3 at Seaworld - please stay tuned!!!!

Old 03-28-2009, 06:10 AM   #29
smallworldnh
Mouseketeer

I am very much enjoying your report, thank you so much for sharing. The very best trip reports, to me, are the ones with pictures!!! It makes it more fun to be able to see what you're describing!! It makes me want to go even more!
smallworldnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #30
pixeegrl
DIS Veteran

Loving your TR...we are pass members for Busch Gardens Williamsburg and have finally splurged for the 2 year platinum since they have such a good monthly payment system. They do not offer the re-ride privaleges here unfortunately, how many times are you allowed to re-ride? I can't wait to go back and we will definantly be taking in BG Tampa...the rides seem very similar but the park is different so it will be a new experience. Your TR makes it all the more exciting! Keep 'em coming!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: