Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #91
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran
 
mnmrmustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leger13 View Post
Glad you got to ride it at WDW. It's being renovated right now. Totally re-done. Roomer has it that they are completely revamping it to be like the DL version.

Ah yeah I hear ya there. We've been lucky to go the last two years in a row. I'm surprised we are going again this year because the plan was to go to NYC but that all changed obviously LOL! You're right, once you find a nice spot to raise your family at better to just stay and then travel to where you can when you can. Raising your family right is the most important thing.

Oh man that crazy girl! Hopefully she learned her lesson!

And yeah, I do have a lot of stuff going on right now. Observe and Report was awesome!! I highly recomend it. You probably won't fully enjoy it until the very end. At least that's how it was for me and now I can't wait to watch it again.
Cool, you'll have to let me know how the new improved version rides. Let's hear it for making time for Disney! And amen to the raising the family thing. I've lived in too many bad places and know how good we have it here.

I think she has, now she's just testing her boundaries with listening to us in general. I am NOT looking forward to her becoming a teen

I think I'll wait for Observe and Report to go to DVD. We spent too much $$$ for my B-day so no movies for a while
__________________
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:29 AM   #92
Leger13
DIS Veteran
 
Leger13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,801

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmrmustard View Post
Cool, you'll have to let me know how the new improved version rides. Let's hear it for making time for Disney! And amen to the raising the family thing. I've lived in too many bad places and know how good we have it here.

I think she has, now she's just testing her boundaries with listening to us in general. I am NOT looking forward to her becoming a teen

I think I'll wait for Observe and Report to go to DVD. We spent too much $$$ for my B-day so no movies for a while
I sure will. I'll do a full review after our trip in December for sure.

Oh man, good luck with that one for sure!

haha I know how that goes.

So, I'm sure you saw on my FB that I'm looking for an SLR camera. I'll be getting one in July with the money I'm saving from our Disney trip in December (we booked through my friend that works there and got her employee discount....50% off!! ) so I was wondering what you thought about the ones that are out there now? Everyone keeps telling me to go Nikon but I just love the Canon point and shoot that I have now and I loved all the pictures you put on your TR from WDW last year and I know you have a Canon, don't you? The XTi? Maybe I'm wrong but I was sure I remembered you having a Canon. Anyways, it's a toss up right now over the Nikon (not sure which one really) and the canon XSi
__________________
Carla (32)|Chris (33)|Alex (3)
Leger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #93
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran
 
mnmrmustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leger13 View Post
I sure will. I'll do a full review after our trip in December for sure.

Oh man, good luck with that one for sure!

haha I know how that goes.

So, I'm sure you saw on my FB that I'm looking for an SLR camera. I'll be getting one in July with the money I'm saving from our Disney trip in December (we booked through my friend that works there and got her employee discount....50% off!! ) so I was wondering what you thought about the ones that are out there now? Everyone keeps telling me to go Nikon but I just love the Canon point and shoot that I have now and I loved all the pictures you put on your TR from WDW last year and I know you have a Canon, don't you? The XTi? Maybe I'm wrong but I was sure I remembered you having a Canon. Anyways, it's a toss up right now over the Nikon (not sure which one really) and the canon XSi
I'll look forward to hearing what you think about it and I'll give you my comparision between the old WDW SM and the upgraded DLR version

As far as cameras go, I have the Canon Rebel XT, which is the older 8 megapixel version. Both Nikon and Canon make good cameras and they are very similar in feature and price. Traditionally Canon is a bit cheaper off the shelf.

I have also been a long time canon user so I went with it after doing some research. One of the big differences between the two is that the Canon DSLRs have a LOT more options with lenses. For instance I prefer the Tamron line of lenses as they are cheaper than Canon lenses and have a better warranty. If you buy Nikon you're pretty much stuck buying their lenses, which can be very $$$.

The one thing the Nikon D60 has that outstrips the Canon is its ISO, which equates to how fast the camera can take a picture. This is important in low light and for taking action shots. The Nikon has twice the ISO speed as the Canon. But the trick with high ISO is that it can make your images come out grainy. I've found that the 1600 ISO the canon has plus a fast lens does great action shots.

Here's a good website to show the similarities and differences of the two:

Canon Vs Nikon

If I had it to do over I'd still chose the Canon and may actually do just that and pick up the Rebel XSi (12 megapixel) and give my XT to Kyra.

Oh, and keep in mind that this is a camera only, so you won't be able to do movie clips like on the point-n-shoots
__________________
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #94
Leger13
DIS Veteran
 
Leger13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,801

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmrmustard View Post
I'll look forward to hearing what you think about it and I'll give you my comparision between the old WDW SM and the upgraded DLR version

As far as cameras go, I have the Canon Rebel XT, which is the older 8 megapixel version. Both Nikon and Canon make good cameras and they are very similar in feature and price. Traditionally Canon is a bit cheaper off the shelf.

I have also been a long time canon user so I went with it after doing some research. One of the big differences between the two is that the Canon DSLRs have a LOT more options with lenses. For instance I prefer the Tamron line of lenses as they are cheaper than Canon lenses and have a better warranty. If you buy Nikon you're pretty much stuck buying their lenses, which can be very $$$.

The one thing the Nikon D60 has that outstrips the Canon is its ISO, which equates to how fast the camera can take a picture. This is important in low light and for taking action shots. The Nikon has twice the ISO speed as the Canon. But the trick with high ISO is that it can make your images come out grainy. I've found that the 1600 ISO the canon has plus a fast lens does great action shots.

Here's a good website to show the similarities and differences of the two:

Canon Vs Nikon

If I had it to do over I'd still chose the Canon and may actually do just that and pick up the Rebel XSi (12 megapixel) and give my XT to Kyra.

Oh, and keep in mind that this is a camera only, so you won't be able to do movie clips like on the point-n-shoots
Oh you don't know how huge of a help reading this review is to me! I was getting SO confused with the talk about ISO and all that stuff. I had no idea what it meant. Thank you SO much for putting it in lamens (sp?) terms!! (aka idiot speak )

Thanks for the web site too. I'll for sure be visiting there. I've noticed the dSLR's don't do video but that's not a big deal for me since I don't really use that feature on my Point and Shoot very often. And if I want to use it I can always just keep my Canon PowerShot as a back up Which I had planned on doing anyways because I'm sure there will be times where I won't want to lug around that big camera.

Just based on what you said about the grainy pictures from Nikon and the fact that I would have more options with the Canon on the lenses I think that's my deciding factor to go with Canon right there.

Thanks again! This REALLY helped! I knew you'd be the right man to come to with a question like this (everyone else was telling me to go Nikon)
__________________
Carla (32)|Chris (33)|Alex (3)
Leger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #95
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran
 
mnmrmustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leger13 View Post
Oh you don't know how huge of a help reading this review is to me! I was getting SO confused with the talk about ISO and all that stuff. I had no idea what it meant. Thank you SO much for putting it in lamens (sp?) terms!! (aka idiot speak )

Thanks for the web site too. I'll for sure be visiting there. I've noticed the dSLR's don't do video but that's not a big deal for me since I don't really use that feature on my Point and Shoot very often. And if I want to use it I can always just keep my Canon PowerShot as a back up Which I had planned on doing anyways because I'm sure there will be times where I won't want to lug around that big camera.

Just based on what you said about the grainy pictures from Nikon and the fact that I would have more options with the Canon on the lenses I think that's my deciding factor to go with Canon right there.

Thanks again! This REALLY helped! I knew you'd be the right man to come to with a question like this (everyone else was telling me to go Nikon)
You're welcome on the info, glad to be able to break it down for ya It is easy to equate the Nikon/Canon battle to the Mac/PC battle. Nikon users pay a premium for what they feel is something of a higher quality, but the Canon is the workhorse that most people use in their daily life

Yup, ISO is just the digital eqivalent of what speed of film you had in a 35mm camera - you know, 200, 400, 800 etc. On digital cameras is is just how fast it can capture the image. And I do want to clarify that the Nikon has ISOs in the same range and therefore the same quality as the Canon, it just also takes that extra step to 3200 ISO, which in my opinion is unnecessarily fast in relation to picture quality.

The other speed factor is on the lens side with "f-stop" (another term you may have heard thrown around). It has to do with how fast the shutter on the lens itself can open and close (also called aperture) to capture images. The tricky bit is that the LOWER the number in f-stop, the FASTER the lens is. A 4 to 5 f-stop is a standard starting point, with a 2.8 or less being fast.

Okay, I'm done geeking out on camera specs now - lol. Good call about keeping the point-n-shoot handy, it is a lot to tote a camera bag w/lenses around a park and sometimes it isn't worth it. I carried a full camera backpack the whole WDW trip, but I am a bit of a nut job.
__________________
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #96
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran
 
mnmrmustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,921

Chapter 5 - Halloween Ts!

Okay, I did an aside about this, but I'm going to make a little graphics chapter here. As I may have said, we do up custom T-shirts for out trips. Last year we did a plain white T and a tie-dye'd version using this logo:



we got lots of compliments on the tie-dyed shirts - we were quite the site walking around



So I decided to put together some designs with a Halloween theme to them.



I'll probably turn the black to transparent if we do them on black Ts.



This one seems a bit on the plain side, but I'm not sure what else to do with it - suggestions?



I like the way this one turned out - just finished it this evening :D

And as always, if anyone wants a design done up with their DISnames I'm happy to do so!

EDIT:

Just finished the second Jack Skellington logo:

__________________
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure

Last edited by mnmrmustard; 04-27-2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added image
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:55 PM   #97
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet
 
kaoden39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 30,041

I love the Jack Skellington one. I love him.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:05 PM   #98
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran
 
mnmrmustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,921

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I love the Jack Skellington one. I love him.
Thankyee! He's pretty cool.
__________________
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #99
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!
 
DizNee Luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 9,361

Those designs are all really awesome!!! Very cool!
__________________
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013 WDW: 2013


DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:22 PM   #100
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran
 
mnmrmustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,921

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
Those designs are all really awesome!!! Very cool!
Well we love to go all out on Halloween!
__________________
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:59 AM   #101
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar
 
Trentmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 32,586

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmrmustard View Post
Okay, I did an aside about this, but I'm going to make a little graphics chapter here. As I may have said, we do up custom T-shirts for out trips. Last year we did a plain white T and a tie-dye'd version using this logo:



we got lots of compliments on the tie-dyed shirts - we were quite the site walking around



So I decided to put together some designs with a Halloween theme to them.



I'll probably turn the black to transparent if we do them on black Ts.



This one seems a bit on the plain side, but I'm not sure what else to do with it - suggestions?



I like the way this one turned out - just finished it this evening :D

And as always, if anyone wants a design done up with their DISnames I'm happy to do so!

Hey Mustard, had to come over and check our designs


The jack Skellington is awesome

I like the other two, too

One suggestion for Pumpkin one, maybe you could outline the lettering in black.

Just throwing that out there since you thought it looked plain.
__________________
"Sharky", RESIDENT LIFER
Trentmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:56 AM   #102
Tat2ddisneymom
Will have to keep the husband
Had to pee in a cup
As Captain Jack, he's just smokin'
 
Tat2ddisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 6,298

I like the skull and the Skellington, too.

I think Sharky's suggestion is good. Or what about making the whole thing 3-D?
__________________
Tat2ddisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #103
Leger13
DIS Veteran
 
Leger13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,801

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmrmustard View Post
You're welcome on the info, glad to be able to break it down for ya It is easy to equate the Nikon/Canon battle to the Mac/PC battle. Nikon users pay a premium for what they feel is something of a higher quality, but the Canon is the workhorse that most people use in their daily life

Yup, ISO is just the digital eqivalent of what speed of film you had in a 35mm camera - you know, 200, 400, 800 etc. On digital cameras is is just how fast it can capture the image. And I do want to clarify that the Nikon has ISOs in the same range and therefore the same quality as the Canon, it just also takes that extra step to 3200 ISO, which in my opinion is unnecessarily fast in relation to picture quality.

The other speed factor is on the lens side with "f-stop" (another term you may have heard thrown around). It has to do with how fast the shutter on the lens itself can open and close (also called aperture) to capture images. The tricky bit is that the LOWER the number in f-stop, the FASTER the lens is. A 4 to 5 f-stop is a standard starting point, with a 2.8 or less being fast.

Okay, I'm done geeking out on camera specs now - lol. Good call about keeping the point-n-shoot handy, it is a lot to tote a camera bag w/lenses around a park and sometimes it isn't worth it. I carried a full camera backpack the whole WDW trip, but I am a bit of a nut job.
Okay, I'm a bit confused about the lenses still but I figure I'll get used to the camera with the lens it comes with first and then get more information on other lenses from you later (oh mighty camera guru ).

You are right about the Nikon/Canon war being similar to the Mac/PC war. It really does seem very much like that the more I read. Nikon users are snobby about their Nikon's and Canon users are snobby about their Canon's. I'm sure I'll be snobby too.

And the comment about you saying you're a nut job for carrying around a whole camera back pack at WDW....well, it paid off when you got all of those amazing shots that you got! So I don't think you are a nut job at all. I'll probably still only have the one lens by December for my trip so hopefully I'll still be able to get some good pictures. I'd like to start learning to use Photo Shop but I know there is a LOT to that program and should probably take a class for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmrmustard View Post
Okay, I did an aside about this, but I'm going to make a little graphics chapter here. As I may have said, we do up custom T-shirts for out trips. Last year we did a plain white T and a tie-dye'd version using this logo:



we got lots of compliments on the tie-dyed shirts - we were quite the site walking around



So I decided to put together some designs with a Halloween theme to them.



I'll probably turn the black to transparent if we do them on black Ts.



This one seems a bit on the plain side, but I'm not sure what else to do with it - suggestions?



I like the way this one turned out - just finished it this evening :D

And as always, if anyone wants a design done up with their DISnames I'm happy to do so!
They look FANTASTIC!! I still would like some for our December trip if you're still willing. I just need to find a picture for you to start off with. I've really gotta remember to do that
__________________
Carla (32)|Chris (33)|Alex (3)
Leger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #104
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran
 
mnmrmustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentmom View Post
Hey Mustard, had to come over and check our designs


The jack Skellington is awesome

I like the other two, too

One suggestion for Pumpkin one, maybe you could outline the lettering in black.

Just throwing that out there since you thought it looked plain.
Thankyee! And that is a good suggestion with the Pumpkin one, I'll do some more tinkering ...and maybe even make a bolder outline/shadow on the pumpkin itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2ddisneymom View Post
I like the skull and the Skellington, too.

I think Sharky's suggestion is good. Or what about making the whole thing 3-D?
Coolness, glad you like them :-] I'm going to try Sharky's suggestion and will try and make it have more of a 3-D pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leger13 View Post
Okay, I'm a bit confused about the lenses still but I figure I'll get used to the camera with the lens it comes with first and then get more information on other lenses from you later (oh mighty camera guru ).

You are right about the Nikon/Canon war being similar to the Mac/PC war. It really does seem very much like that the more I read. Nikon users are snobby about their Nikon's and Canon users are snobby about their Canon's. I'm sure I'll be snobby too.

And the comment about you saying you're a nut job for carrying around a whole camera back pack at WDW....well, it paid off when you got all of those amazing shots that you got! So I don't think you are a nut job at all. I'll probably still only have the one lens by December for my trip so hopefully I'll still be able to get some good pictures. I'd like to start learning to use Photo Shop but I know there is a LOT to that program and should probably take a class for that.



They look FANTASTIC!! I still would like some for our December trip if you're still willing. I just need to find a picture for you to start off with. I've really gotta remember to do that
The default lens (should be an 18-55mm zoom) is a great lens. It will do you fine for just about everything to start with. The only place it may fall short is capturing some of the night stuff, and even that can be compensated by using manual settings on your camera. You can find tutorials for just about anything.

Thanks about the decal stuff, and yes - get me something to work with and I'll make something happen with it
__________________
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #105
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar
 
Trentmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 32,586

Okay, I am all caught up

I can not wait to see all your pics

I am hoping to get to Disneyland in about 3 years.

I want to go during a regular season with no decorations, as I am sure our trip there will be a one time thing as so expensive coming from here.

So, I want to see it is all au naturale
__________________
"Sharky", RESIDENT LIFER
Trentmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: