Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #76
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran
 
mnmrmustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,921

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
The off season thing is one of the reasons I changed the dates of our trip. We have gone off season so many times we miss the fireworks and Fantasmic and the parades. This time we are seeing it all. Oh and I updated my report too.
From what I've read in bits and pieces on the web we should at least be able to do Fantasmic! on Friday night. And we'll have to see if we're up to staying through the end of the day on Saturday to see the light parade/fireworks.

I'm glad you are going to get to see everything this time around. We saw Spectro at WDW last january, so I at least got something close to the Main Street Electrical experience. And with the 7 days we spent in the parks at WDW the girls actually got burnt out on the parades, so I'm sure they won't mind if we don't see them this time around

I'll jump over right now and take a look at your update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
That's a drag you've missed Space Mtn..... by chance (may have missed what year the trip with the kids was) did you go in 2005??? I'm asking because we have a picture of Belle & Aurora together at the Animation Bldg with our son.....and those 2 gals are the same (I believe)...... just curious!!

Love the picture of the Skyway....boy does that take me back!!! Loved riding in these when I was a child!!!

We've missed ya, but understand that some people actually do have real lifes outside these boards.... unlike myself I guess!!!
Yup, we went in January of 2005 so those were probably the same characters in the same place :D

Yes, we rode the skyway three times. The first time just to ride it, then once more because I begged and pleaded and wanted to go through the Matterhorn again, and the third time to get back to the side of the park we wanted to be at - lol.

Hehehe, I would enjoy being more of a full-time DIS'er, but the outside world keeps knocking at my door
__________________
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #77
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!
 
DizNee Luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 9,658

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmrmustard View Post
Yup, we went in January of 2005 so those were probably the same characters in the same place :D

Hehehe, I would enjoy being more of a full-time DIS'er, but the outside world keeps knocking at my door
That's what I thought!! Belle was Anthony's girlfriend the entire trip!!! She knew him by name & would wave & say hello everytime they passed.....so cute to see a 3 yr old blush!!

I'll be patient....I know you'll be back when you have the time!!!
__________________
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013


DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #78
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran
 
mnmrmustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,921

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
That's what I thought!! Belle was Anthony's girlfriend the entire trip!!! She knew him by name & would wave & say hello everytime they passed.....so cute to see a 3 yr old blush!!

I'll be patient....I know you'll be back when you have the time!!!
Oh really? Very cool indeed!
__________________
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:30 PM   #79
Leger13
DIS Veteran
 
Leger13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,803

Hey Mike! You get your D23 mystery gift yet?? I'm dying to know what it is.
__________________
Carla (32)|Chris (33)|Alex (3)
Leger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #80
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran
 
mnmrmustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leger13 View Post
Hey Mike! You get your D23 mystery gift yet?? I'm dying to know what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leger13 View Post
Hey Mike! You get your D23 mystery gift yet?? I'm dying to know what it is.
Oh yeah!

It was a lithograph from Mickey's 80th birthday... Disney artist Paul Felix's "Putting a Smile on the World". 20"x30":



Also got the first magazine, which is very high quality and has some very cool content. It looks like I missed out on getting the D23 pin, but have the membership certificate and card.

Pretty cool overall, I'm happy with the investment.
__________________
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #81
Tat2ddisneymom
Will have to keep the husband
Had to pee in a cup
As Captain Jack, he's just smokin'
 
Tat2ddisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 6,298

Sorry I haven't been around. I took a week off posting.

I read your last "update," and I have to say, I equate Menudo with tragic disappointment, too. I'm sure you already knew that.

I remember you telling us before about Bean cutting her hair. Kids are so funny. My daughter ended up with a mullet one time when her brother decided to give her a haircut. I wasn't leaving the mullet, so she ended up with a pixie cut. She was just little, but I can't imagine letting a 4 year old cut my hair. I'm not sure where I was when this went down. Bathroom probably.
__________________
Tat2ddisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #82
Leger13
DIS Veteran
 
Leger13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,803

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmrmustard View Post
Oh yeah!

It was a lithograph from Mickey's 80th birthday... Disney artist Paul Felix's "Putting a Smile on the World". 20"x30":



Also got the first magazine, which is very high quality and has some very cool content. It looks like I missed out on getting the D23 pin, but have the membership certificate and card.

Pretty cool overall, I'm happy with the investment.
Cute Cute Cute! Glad you are happy with the investment! I think I'm gonna try and pick up a copy of that magazine at B&N this weekend.
__________________
Carla (32)|Chris (33)|Alex (3)
Leger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #83
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran
 
mnmrmustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leger13 View Post
Cute Cute Cute! Glad you are happy with the investment! I think I'm gonna try and pick up a copy of that magazine at B&N this weekend.
Thank you and good hunting!
__________________
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #84
Leger13
DIS Veteran
 
Leger13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,803

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmrmustard View Post
Nothing new on the planning front, so I thought I’d invite y’all along on a little trip down memory lane. As I may have said, I’ve been to Disneyland twice in the past.

PART 1

The first time was part of a one week whirlwind adventure in a rented Chevy Citation (now THAT was a stylin' ride!) in 1976. It was me (age 7), my big sister (age 11) and my mom and ex stepdad. We hit Disneyland, Knott’s Berry Farm, Lion Country Safari (now closed), Sea World, and the San Diego Zoo.

I have no pictures from the trip. It seems like there should have been some, but nobody seems to know about them. Due to this I did some fishing on flickr and snagged a couple of images that other people took on trips there in '76 ;-]

Disney itself was a bit of a blur, us trying to cover everything in one hot summer day. I specifically remember all of the red-white-and-blue theming for the Bicentennial. I also remember how cramped the submarine was and how much walking we did. Some of the high points were PoTC, Peter Pan’s Flight, and the Matterhorn.

From a nostalgia point of view I am happy to have been one of those “older folks” who go to ride on the Skyway


I really liked the "America on Parade" uhhhh, parade Here's a sticker that I remember us putting on the Citation:



I was going to post pictures of the parade, but found a site that does it a lot more justice than I ever could. If you're interested just click on the URL.

http://www.yesterland.com/americaparade.html

I remember REALLY wanting to ride up in the top bubble of the monorail. And no, it didn't happen.



And then there was the big letdown. I couldn't ride Space Mountain I sat outside the gleaming white facade while Menudo (or at least that year's incarnation of them) were performing in front of it. I remember looking forlornly at it while they danced and sang. To this day I still equate the name Menudo to tragic disappointment

But then there was the end of the day and my curbside seat for the Main Street Electrical Parade. That was the capper, that was the one bit that really got me. Without knowing it then, it is what really made me the Disney fan that I am today.

There was a feeling of total immersion in the experience. The lights, the theme song (which still gives me a bit of a charge when I hear it), and the pure Disney magic of it. It was a perfect way to end the evening and it washed away any tiredness I may have felt. I remember going to sleep in the hotel room humming the song (much to the consternation of my big sister, with whom I was sharing a bed - lol).


PART 2

Even though I had that Disney magic, it lay dormant inside me for the next 29 years It wasn't until my DDs were old enough to really enjoy Disney (ages 5 & 8 at the time) that we planned a trip. I planned it and it was a bit of a goof on my part as to when we went.

I found a website that showed crowd levels and apparently the week after new years was some of the lowest numbers in the park. What I neglected to cross-reference it with was the amount of rainfall that So Cal gets in early January. Soooo, we basically went there during the wettest month of the year

It was to be a 3 day visit to the parks. part of it would be just us, the other part with one of my bro-in-law's and his family. Granted, we had a lot of fun and the rides that were open had basically no lines. Unfortunately it rained for over half the time we were there, ending with an outright downpour that flooded parts of CA.

Here are some pics from that little adventure. They are a bit grainy as they are actually captures from video that I took there:





























Any you may have wondered about Bean's haircut being kind of "boyish". The little imp had decided to give herself a haircut a week before we left. That was how short it had to go to even out the chunks she had taken out of it - lol

There are more pictures but not too many as it was too wet much of the time we were there to film stuff. And a lot of them were just the girls posed by all of the different themed Mickeys they had stationed around CA.

But as I said, no lines. Among the stuff we rode:

Matterhorn - 4 times
PoTC - 8 times
Splash Mountain - 4 times
All the fantasyland rides multiple times
Soarin' - 3 times
ToT - 7 times for Bean (I only rode it 3 times)
Haunted Mansion - closed to change back from the Nightmare Before Christmas theme :-[

AAAAANNNNNDDDDD - SPACE MOUNTAIN - CLOSED FOR REFURB!!!!! Still haven't rode that bugger. Also, no parades and no fireworks due to a mix of off season and bad weather.

So obviously there was some stuff we missed out on. It was part of the reason I started planning our 2008 WDW trip back in 2006. I wanted to make sure we didn't miss out on anything ...or at least see as much as we could without going crazy or having our feet fall off.

So there ya go - a brief interlude on what has brought me here now, planning for a trip that is still 6 1/2 months away ;D Tune in next time when I ........ummm, when I.....

....


....Hey Look - IT'S BIGFOOT!

*points behind you and disappears under my desk*
Wow so you STILL haven't gotten to ride Space Mountain at DL???? Did you at least get to ride it at WDW? I'll cross my fingers that it isn't closed when you go this year.

One of my best memories from WDW as a kid is of spectromagic as well! There's just no mistaking that music. I get goose bumps just thinking about it.

That stinks that it rained so much on your last trip to DL. I'll never understand how you can take such long gaps in between your trips too. Glad the gap isn't as long this time

And Bean cracks me up. I can't believe she tried to cut her own hair
__________________
Carla (32)|Chris (33)|Alex (3)
Leger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #85
Leger13
DIS Veteran
 
Leger13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,803

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmrmustard View Post
Thank you and good hunting!
Thanks but I didn't get to even look last weekend. Ran out of money between going to see Observe & Report in theater and buying Bedtime Stories on Blue Ray and groceries. I don't think it's going to happen this weekend either since I'm going to see Crank 2 in theater and probably pick up my copy of Pinocchio on Blue Ray with my $6 off coupon and then groceries again. I'll eventually get to look for a copy.
__________________
Carla (32)|Chris (33)|Alex (3)
Leger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #86
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran
 
mnmrmustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2ddisneymom View Post
Sorry I haven't been around. I took a week off posting.

I read your last "update," and I have to say, I equate Menudo with tragic disappointment, too. I'm sure you already knew that.

I remember you telling us before about Bean cutting her hair. Kids are so funny. My daughter ended up with a mullet one time when her brother decided to give her a haircut. I wasn't leaving the mullet, so she ended up with a pixie cut. She was just little, but I can't imagine letting a 4 year old cut my hair. I'm not sure where I was when this went down. Bathroom probably.
Hey Nikki!

No worries, I've been busy too. Just the nature of the beast with work and home life and such

Yeah, Menudo will always hold that not so special place in my heart

LOLOL, I'm sure big bro chose his moment well to give your daughter her "new look" - it is amazing what they can do and how fast they can do it when they get and idea in their head ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leger13 View Post
Wow so you STILL haven't gotten to ride Space Mountain at DL???? Did you at least get to ride it at WDW? I'll cross my fingers that it isn't closed when you go this year.

One of my best memories from WDW as a kid is of spectromagic as well! There's just no mistaking that music. I get goose bumps just thinking about it.

That stinks that it rained so much on your last trip to DL. I'll never understand how you can take such long gaps in between your trips too. Glad the gap isn't as long this time

And Bean cracks me up. I can't believe she tried to cut her own hair
Nope, no SM at DL. I rode it twice at WDW and was suprised how much that sucker jerks you around. I've been told that the one at DL is smoother - we'll see.

Yes, Spectro was very cool as an adult, I can only imagine how cool it would have been as a kid. Disney light parade goers of the world unite!

As far as the gaps, we just didn't have the $$$ for it. Heck, I'd be at either WDW or DL every 6 months if we could swing it financially It is a pain to travel from southern Oregon, especially flying. But having lived in several parts of the country I haven't found a better place for raising our family. Just one of those give and take things I guess

Yup, she just picked up the scissors and went crazy on her bangs and a good couple of chunks out of one side and the short pixie cut was the only way to salvage it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leger13 View Post
Thanks but I didn't get to even look last weekend. Ran out of money between going to see Observe & Report in theater and buying Bedtime Stories on Blue Ray and groceries. I don't think it's going to happen this weekend either since I'm going to see Crank 2 in theater and probably pick up my copy of Pinocchio on Blue Ray with my $6 off coupon and then groceries again. I'll eventually get to look for a copy.
Hehehe, sounds like you've got some fun stuff going on. Bedtime Stories was a fun movie - how was Observer and Report? We still haven't purchased any Blue Ray disks and now our big living room TV (where we have the PS3/Wii/PS2 set up) has flaked out and is at the repair shop I'm in gaming withdrawl already - lol.

Thanks for stopping by - I hope to have some new content up here very soon, just busy again :P
__________________
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #87
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet
 
kaoden39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 30,184

I miss the Sky Buckets. I thought they were great. Honestly the best tthing foe me about them was my Dad and I would ride them alone because my sister was afraid of them and I got to ride with Dad alone. Just like if we went to Santa Cruz I got to ride with my Mom on the big Roller Coaster because my DS was afraid of it. I look back and it seems she was afraid of all the cool rides.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #88
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran
 
mnmrmustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,921

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I miss the Sky Buckets. I thought they were great. Honestly the best tthing foe me about them was my Dad and I would ride them alone because my sister was afraid of them and I got to ride with Dad alone. Just like if we went to Santa Cruz I got to ride with my Mom on the big Roller Coaster because my DS was afraid of it. I look back and it seems she was afraid of all the cool rides.
That makes for some great memories for sure, getting that focused time with a parent. I really got that with Bean on our second MGM day, just her and me all day at the park And with my Pumpkin Girl, she is really into photography. So we've been able to have a couple of outings taking pictures together of the local scenery.

Ahhh yes, I had an uncle who lived in Santa Cruz and we went to the Boardwalk several times. Sounds like your DS's fear paid off for you in mom time I remember one time riding that old wooden roller coaster 6 or 7 times in a row with my cousins
__________________
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #89
Leger13
DIS Veteran
 
Leger13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,803

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmrmustard View Post
Nope, no SM at DL. I rode it twice at WDW and was suprised how much that sucker jerks you around. I've been told that the one at DL is smoother - we'll see.

Yes, Spectro was very cool as an adult, I can only imagine how cool it would have been as a kid. Disney light parade goers of the world unite!

As far as the gaps, we just didn't have the $$$ for it. Heck, I'd be at either WDW or DL every 6 months if we could swing it financially It is a pain to travel from southern Oregon, especially flying. But having lived in several parts of the country I haven't found a better place for raising our family. Just one of those give and take things I guess

Yup, she just picked up the scissors and went crazy on her bangs and a good couple of chunks out of one side and the short pixie cut was the only way to salvage it
Glad you got to ride it at WDW. It's being renovated right now. Totally re-done. Roomer has it that they are completely revamping it to be like the DL version.

Ah yeah I hear ya there. We've been lucky to go the last two years in a row. I'm surprised we are going again this year because the plan was to go to NYC but that all changed obviously LOL! You're right, once you find a nice spot to raise your family at better to just stay and then travel to where you can when you can. Raising your family right is the most important thing.

Oh man that crazy girl! Hopefully she learned her lesson!

And yeah, I do have a lot of stuff going on right now. Observe and Report was awesome!! I highly recomend it. You probably won't fully enjoy it until the very end. At least that's how it was for me and now I can't wait to watch it again.
__________________
Carla (32)|Chris (33)|Alex (3)
Leger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:03 PM   #90
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran
 
mnmrmustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,921

Man, I want to do something in regards to the trip but I'm just spinning my wheels. October seems very far away atm :P

Gotta find some time to work on the T-shirt designs I guess.

Wheeee
__________________
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: