Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
lmok
DIS Veteran

Disney World In July

Hello, It looks like July is going to be best time for us to schedule or WDW trip. I have yet to go in July. Any input would help so we can know what to expect. Is it going to be really hot.....are the lines going to be long???

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Bob P
DIS Veteran

Hi,

It's going to be VERY HOT AND VERY HUMID.

As you might imagine, any time that schools are out is a busy time at WDW. The first two weeks of July are among the busiest weeks of the year. The last half of July is still BUSY, but the first two weeks in July are BUSY.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
--Mark Twain, Innocents Abroad

Sept/Oct 1986 Viscount....June 1990 Hyatt Grand Cypress.....Sept/Oct 1991 Howard Johnson's....June 1993 Polynesian...June & Dec 1994, Aug 1995, 96, 97, 98 Beach Club.....Mar & Sept 1999 Dixie Landings...Aug 1999 Disneyland....Nov 1999 Yacht Club....Aug 2000 & 2002 Boardwalk Inn....Nov 2001 All-Star Sports....Oct 2003 Port Orleans Riverside...Jan 2004 (Marathon) Coronado Springs...Feb 2004 Old Key West....August 2004 Yacht Club....May 2005 Animal Kingdom Lodge....Feb 2006 Boardwalk Villas...April 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge...June 2006 DL, DCA, Disneyland Hotel.... January 2007 Polynesian...August 2007 Beach Club... Sept 2007 DL, DCA, Grand Californian Hotel....May 2009 Boardwalk Villas....June 2010 Portofino Bay Hotel....January 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter/Grand Floridian/Disney Dream....May 2011 Boardwalk Villas...March 2012 Beach Club/Disney Fantasy...December 2012 Art of Animation...February 2014 Disneyland & DCA...NEXT TRIP: January 2015 Art of Animation
Bob P is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
Eeyore18
Mouseketeer

We usually go in July. We've been going the first weekend after July 4th and staying for 7 to 9 days. Yes, it's hot! But we took a quick trip in Feb. and I was wishing for the heat! Being a teacher- we usually go in the summer.
Get up early!!!!!! Rest midday and return at night. It's really not bad..and at least you know you'll be able to swim!
Eeyore18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
IndyDisneyFan
I want to live at WDW!

Yes, it will be very hot and very humid. And very crowded but we still go most every year in July because that is what fits into our schedule. We just take water fan/spray bottles to help keep us cool while we wait in lines along with bottles of water, take advantage of fastpasses, use early parks if staying on property (late ones are still very crowded!), and bring along rain ponchos as it rains nearly every afternoon at least for a little bit. You can still have a great time as long as you are prepared and plan ahead!

Laura
2002- Music, Movies, Contemporary Resort, Polynesian Resort
2003- Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Sports, Coronado Springs
2004- Contemporary Resort, Polynesian Resort
2005- Disney Wonder, Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary Resort, Caribbean Beach
2006- Disney Magic, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, All Star Music
2007- Beach Club, Disney Magic, Saratoga Springs, Disneyland, Polynesian, Disney Wonder, Wilderness Villas
2008- Polynesian, Disney Magic X 2, POFQ, Pop Century, Saratoga Springs, Wilderness Lodge
2009- Port Orleans FQ, Disney Magic X 2, Poly, Pop Century, Animal Kindom Lodge, Contemporary
2010- Port Orleans FQ, Disney Magic, Beach Club Villas, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney Wonder, Polynesian
2011- Grand Floridian, Contemporary, French Quarter, Polynesian
2012- Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney Magic, Old Key West, Disneyland Hotel, Disney Wonder (Hawaii), POFQ
2013- POFQ, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney Magic, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel
2014- Disney Wonder, Polynesian Resort
IndyDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
sueh
DIS Veteran

We just had my girls 1st trip this July 08. It was extremely hot & humid. Like the other poster said, if you are prepared then you should be fine.

I thought I was prepared but couldn't believe how hot it was even at 7:30 in the morning. It was crowded but I have to say that it wasn't unbearable. There were a few things that we didn't get to do.

I did do alot of planning and also joined TGM and followed his suggestions.

Just remember alot of sunscreen & alot of water.

Have a great trip!
sueh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
IloveAKL
Mouseketeer

We have been in July the last three years. For the heat, of course try your best to be either in your hotel room or in the pool during the hottest part of the day. Otherwise we used that battery operated spray fan (bought our own at Walgreens) with ice water in it. That seemed to be the best way to cool down. Don't forget extra batteries for it! We also used those neck cooling bandanas. We would put them in a zip lock bag with ice water in it overnight in our refrigerator. You could also keep a wet washcloth in a zip lock bag with ice cubes in it and wipe down as needed. You may find one of these works better for you then others.
Another thing about July - Brazilian tour groups!!! It was amazing, this last summer, we went the last week of July and the first week of August, and the tour groups magically disappeared in August!!

Barb (NDM #91)
Disney's Village Resort 11/94(honeymoon)
AKL July 2006
POP July 2007
AKL July 2008 (trip report http://www.wix.com/mystre/Disney2008)
SSR July 2009 (developer points)
AKL July 2010 & December 2010
Disneyland-PVI August 2011
AKL DVC owner since 2008

IloveAKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
stacy2197
Mouseketeer

We've been in July 4 times. Take advantage of longer airconditioned attractions in the middle of the day. Evening extra magic hours are a life saver. You can't appreciate how humid it gets untill you experience it. At night the temperture seems perfect. The first year we went my daughter was only 4 and we stayed out till 3am one morning and she did better then us. Shes also the one that takes the heat the hardest, even now that she's 9, so she was happy to be out at night. The great thing about going in July is the extended hours. Pretty much anytime you want to be at a park you can. Have fun
stacy2197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
lmok
DIS Veteran

Thanks Everyone I am sure this will help. My daughters are 14 and 11 and will love the pool in the middle of the day.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
talfonso
An Avid Disneyphile

July at Walt Disney World is pure Heck! I remember one July in 1995 when my parents, cousin, and I traveled to Central Florida for our Independence Day vacation. (We stayed at a Best Western on Sand Lake Rd. or whereabouts!) As well as visiting the largest resort in the world, we went to Universal Studios as well on our second-to-last day of vacation. As my mother put out on a page that showed me and bits of my family in Disney's Hollywood Studios (then called Disney-MGM Studios) on one of the family scrapbooks, the parks "were so congested due to large group (sic) of students from other countries," what she dubs the tour groups, although a majority of them of them are from many-of-you-Walt-Disney-World-and-other-Central-Florida-vacationers-alike-know-where. (Can't tell, by the way, and it's home to the samba and the dance with mini-parasols, the frevo!) Be aware of not only out-of-towners and kids and teens on summer vacay, but keep your eyes peeled for the notorious (not really that concerning to me) tour groups!

Now that I have a Seasonal Pass on hand, I'm blessed that all of July are block-out dates. It's not that bad that I can't go on that month, but it helped me regain sanity on a peak season. Besides, I live an hour from Florida, too!

Oh, and if going in july, a high season for the tour groups, I'll be posting a link for coping with them in the next few days! Just be sure to dab on SPF 30+ (I use SPF 50!) sunscreen and stay hydrated.

talfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #10
falling2infinity319
Mouseketeer

I've gone in July for the past 3 years. It's always hot, but it's actually pretty nice. I just went last week and it's weird because at night it gets pretty cold.

We usually stay out of the parks during the day but go during extra magic hours at night and never wait long for anything. We lounge by the pools and maybe pop into Epcot for a few minutes during the day because it's so close if we want a quick bite or a quick thrill. (we stay at BCV)

The only thing that stinks is that we usually like to go golfing or mini golfing or boating (in any fo the Marina's or even a mouseboat sea racer) but during the day it's just too hot to sit there getting baked with no shade.

I don't mind the heat though.It's comfortable at night.
falling2infinity319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
timzagain
Rena

Disney World in July - let me sum it up in four words: Extremely hot, extremely crowded!

Did I mention it's going to be very hot? I live in Barbados - year round hot tropical climate, where I spend a lot of time in environments that aren't air conditioned, so I assumed that I would have been well equipped to handle the heat. Boy was I wrong. I thought the July heat in Orlando was going to kill me! I ended up with a few bad migraines from the heat, not to mention my near collapse in Sea World due to heat-induced exhaustion. Also, DD's dry skin got wrecked from the sun and the chlorinated water at the parks and hotel pools (which surprised me since she swims 6 days a week) - I guess we weren't reapplying the sunscreen and moisturizer regularly enough. By the end of the trip the skin on her shin area looked decidedly reptilian - it took FOREVER for her skin to recover from that!

We were back in August 2008 - still hot, but I survived largely because I was close to obsessive about staying hydrated and seeking out cool areas as often as I could.

Water, sunscreen, hat and rest are essential for surviving a July Disney vacation.

Last edited by timzagain; 04-22-2009 at 09:54 AM.
timzagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #12
Honor
Earning My Ears

We go in July all the time.

We expect VERY HOT, HUMID and CROWDs. And just plan accordingly. Dress cool, lots of sunscreen and hats and sunglasses. Take is slow. Plan your day around Extra Magic Hours and make good use of Fastpasses. So if you expect HOT HUMID CROWDs you won't be taken by surprise. Just go with the flow. We also go every year at Christmas and New Year's. People on here will tell you, "Don't go during Christmas; it's too crowded." We are in MagicKingdom for Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and 4th of July. Don't mind the crowds at all.
Honor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #13
airhead
DIS Veteran

We LOVE the 4th at the World! The key to "surviving" the heat(its not that bad!)and the crowds(never a problem!)is to STUDY these boards,get as much info as possible and take everyone's advice about touring the parks EARLY ,leaving the parks for the hotel pools in the afternoon,using fastpass and returning to the parks at night! We can't wait for our trip next summer!!!
airhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: