Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Resort Community Threads & Photo-Video
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #481
WDWisTheBest
This is better than plan one
I hope the clean up efforts are swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Yes and all the considerate posters who keep quoting the pic have caused this snake to jump out at us several times when scrolling down the page
Would someone please explain how these threads pop up from time to time?

Here is what bothers me more:
Quote:

Heavy snowfall blanketed parts of the US Midwest on Monday, prompting hundreds of cancelled flights and icy conditions for road travelers, officials warned, with the northeast bracing for the system as it rolled towards the Atlantic.

Blizzard warnings were issued for parts of the Dakotas and the north central state of Minnesota as an Arctic airmass brought a cold front and localized heavy snowfall from Illinois to New York state, the National Weather Service said in a statement early Monday.
WDWisTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #482
mickey family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Cottonmouth is the more appropriate name for this poisonous snake, as it describes the inside white color of his mouth. However, you sure don't want to get close enough to this poisonous snake to find out if it's mouth is white inside.

The Juevenile cotton mouth looks totally different from the mature one.

So very true about not wanting to get that close. We are pretty sure my son was bitten my a juevenile, but it was still a pretty darn big snake. Certainly not somehting to be messed with.

Too many childhood trips to remember while visiting my grandparents who lived in DeBary, FL and then as an adult:
(May '97- Port Orleans), (Sept '99 -All Star Music), (May '01 - Shades of Green), (May '06 - Shades of Green), (May '09 - CBR, AKL, son's Disney snake bite adventure), (Jul '11 - Portofino Bay Hotel, Universal)
mickey family is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #483
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Most snakes have a triangular shape head, and water moccasins do too. Water Moccasin is a generic name for it, as it actually means water snake. Cottonmouth is the more appropriate name for this poisonous snake, as it describes the inside white color of his mouth. However, you sure don't want to get close enough to this poisonous snake to find out if it's mouth is white inside. They look fairly similar to the indigo snake or black racer, which are not poisonous. Can really only tell them apart if you are close up to the snake.

The Juevenile cotton mouth looks totally different from the mature one.
Thank you for your help. I eventually plucked up the courage to google them and have a good look. My DD nearly stood on a snake in October. What worried me more than anything was that I had no idea what it was. I know it's a bit late if you step on one, but I would have felt better if I knew for some reason. Your info was very helpful.

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #484
CSwan1
DIS Veteran

A while back, someone posted a saying that had to do with poisonous snakes. It went something like '_____________ into _____________ kills a fellow......" Does anyone know exactly how it goes? TIA!
Past Disney Vacations:May 2006 WDW POR & Disney Wonder 3 Day with My Disney Fairytale Wedding May 2008 WDW AKL & Disney Wonder 4 DayJuly 2010 WDW SSR June 2011 Disney World June 26th, 2011 Disney DREAMAugust 2012 Disney World at the Art of Animation Resort October 2012 Disney World Swan and Dolphin Our First MNSSHP
My First Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1831750[/COLOR]
CSwan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #485
DisneyLover75
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure if I'm remembering it right, but I think it's "Yellow next to black is a friend of Jack." and "Yellow next to red, Fred is dead."

I'm not sure on that, though.
1983- Offsite,1987- Offsite, 1992-Dixie Landings(POR),1993-Dixie Landings(POR), 2005 -Pop Century,2006- All Star Movies,2007- Wilderness Lodge,2008 -All Star Music, 2009- All Star Sports, 2010- Coronado Springs, 2011- All Star Music, 2012-Pop Century, 2013- French Quarter 2014- Wilderness Lodge
DisneyLover75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #486
Hokie4lyf
Earning My Ears

Red to yellow kills a fellow, red to black friend of jack
Hokie4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #487
smidgy
dimples

I learned it this way: "Red and Yellow, kill a fellow; red and black, venom lack."
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #488
DisneyLover75
DIS Veteran

So I was mostly right then.
1983- Offsite,1987- Offsite, 1992-Dixie Landings(POR),1993-Dixie Landings(POR), 2005 -Pop Century,2006- All Star Movies,2007- Wilderness Lodge,2008 -All Star Music, 2009- All Star Sports, 2010- Coronado Springs, 2011- All Star Music, 2012-Pop Century, 2013- French Quarter 2014- Wilderness Lodge
DisneyLover75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #489
smidgy
dimples

well, we did raise Corn snakes at one time, and were card-carrying members of the Chicago Herpetological Society. (yes, I knew this about him when I married him)
Old 08-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #490
CSwan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLover75 View Post
I'm not sure if I'm remembering it right, but I think it's "Yellow next to black is a friend of Jack." and "Yellow next to red, Fred is dead."

I'm not sure on that, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie4lyf View Post
Red to yellow kills a fellow, red to black friend of jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
I learned it this way: "Red and Yellow, kill a fellow; red and black, venom lack."
Thanks for these responses! I heard the guys on Swamp Wars talking about these sayings the other night!

Happy to report that I was at POR for 5 nights in June and no snake sightings!
Past Disney Vacations:May 2006 WDW POR & Disney Wonder 3 Day with My Disney Fairytale Wedding May 2008 WDW AKL & Disney Wonder 4 DayJuly 2010 WDW SSR June 2011 Disney World June 26th, 2011 Disney DREAMAugust 2012 Disney World at the Art of Animation Resort October 2012 Disney World Swan and Dolphin Our First MNSSHP
My First Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1831750[/COLOR]
CSwan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #491
veraletta
DIS Veteran

My grandson caught a small gators on his fishing line last month, when we were at Fort Wilderness fishing. the gator was a little bit over a foot long. Guess who had to cut it off the line... That's right me... At first the lady who worked over by the pond want me to see if I could get the line off without cutting it.. I said no as it's too close to his mouth. There was no way I was going to try to take it out of the side of his mouth. It's bad enough I had to pick him up in the first place. LOL I must say that it made my grandson day, as thats all he talked about.
veraletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #492
smidgy
dimples

vera, you will forever be your grandson's hero!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #493
veraletta
DIS Veteran

I know.. lol
veraletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #494
momofdbsdc
momofdbsdca

Snakes

We had a snake slither out in front of us as we were coming off the Kali River Rapids. I picked my daughter up by her arm, poor thing, so that she would not step on him. That seemed to scare the snake and he slithered back into the brush. A CM came up right away to make sure that it was a harmless snake...I didn't stick around to find out!

Dakota 9-24-93
Brandon 3-31-96
Savannah 1-7-98
Dalton 7-20-99
Cameron 7-24-01
Ashleigh 9-15-03
momofdbsdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:26 AM   #495
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraletta View Post
My grandson caught a small gators on his fishing line last month, when we were at Fort Wilderness fishing. the gator was a little bit over a foot long. Guess who had to cut it off the line... That's right me... At first the lady who worked over by the pond want me to see if I could get the line off without cutting it.. I said no as it's too close to his mouth. There was no way I was going to try to take it out of the side of his mouth. It's bad enough I had to pick him up in the first place. LOL I must say that it made my grandson day, as thats all he talked about.
Wow, gators are hard to catch! Are you sure he didn't catch a Gator Gar? Their head looks just like a small gator, but they are actually a fish. My son has caught them many times in lakes in central FL.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/galler...igatorGar.html
lovethattink is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: