Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Resort Community Threads & Photo-Video
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #151
glasslipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by praline3001 View Post
OK~ Florida is the swamps guys... swamps have snakes, gators and all kinds of creepy crawly things

There are 44 different type of snakes native to Florida. There are only 6 poisonious snakes native to Florida...

They are
1. pygmy rattlesnake
2. eatern diamondback
3. timber rattlesnake
4. Cottonmouth
5. copperhead
6. coral snake

out of those the copperhead and coral snake or mostly found in or near water.

The most common snake in Florida is a solid black snake called the black racer. The only one in danger of a black racer is Mickey as they eat mice

IF by chance you see one, stay away from it, dont poke it with a stick or make any snake mad. All snakes will bite and all snake bites hurt ... I have been bitten by ball pythons and it swelled my hand up for a week!
To be honest ~ I would rather see a snake than a rat ANY DAY in a resort rats and mice carry 1,000s of diseases and snakes don't snakes eat mice and rats

If you are REALLY worried about poisonious snakes at Disney, I suggest googling each of the snakes I listed above and become familiar with them. I won't post pics HERE as not to scare anyone LOL

And for goodness sakes please keep in mind that you are in the middle of the Florida swamps

I guess you won't want to hear that I saw a RAT in Epcot! We were sitting on the patio at Rose & Crown, you know, those coveted patio tables everyone wants for illuminations?, Well, about 15 mins. before the show, we had one of our own: a rat ran across the patio right over my Mom's feet OMG, we were shocked, the people at the next table saw it too, we couldn't believe it. Yuck, yuck yuck!!!
Old 04-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #152
HRCCrazy
Member of the AZ Party Dogs, My Dog Name is Wrench, and I just earn my Gold Dog Bone, now I'm a true Party Dog, The AZPD run a Police Toy Drive and Memorials for fallen Police Officers in Arizona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2disneyboys View Post
I've read several posts of vistors hearing about other vistors seeing snakes in thier resort rooms.. I would think this is more likly for anyone who's door opens outside and most likly on the 1st floor... anyone have any actual real life encounters...not just heresay? Not that I doubt anyone, just the possibility of this feaks me out so bad, I guess I just want to see with my own eyes...a photo or something.. I DONT want to see one in my room
I for one found a snake in my bathroom at POP room 8122, they said it must have got in while the maid was cleaning the room. (See pic below)

Disney Dream 4day 9-11-2011, WDW Trip #17 Solo ASSP 9/25 then POP 9-26-09 to 10-4, Solo POP 9-13 to 21 & a Snake in my room, made Trip #16 one not to forget 3 Day Wonder Sept. 99 Cat.#9(2072),7 Day Magic Eastern Jan. 02 Cat #7(5632),3 Day Wonder Set. 02 Cat #7 $99.00 Cruise(5136), First Solo Cruise 7 Day Magic Western Sept. 06 Cat #9(2578)Then POR w/Brother, 17 trips to WDW so far, 14 w/Mom (miss our trips Mom), 1w/Brother, 2 solo at POP. 11 X Dixie Landings 1 @ X-mas/NewYears, 1 X WL, 1 X CR, 1 X ASMU, 1 X ASSP.
HRCCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2009, 11:46 PM   #153
tinkerbellmagic
don't hate me because I loved the castle cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanalisa View Post
I've seen several snakes at WDW - more there than anyplace else in my life. One 5 footer was in the pool at WL, 1 on the sidewalk on the boat rental path - twice.
*Respectfully snipped by me*

I can vouch for that. We also saw a long black snack slithering through the pool at WL in 2006. I wondered why everything went quiet and the lifeguard started ordering everyone out of pool. He then made his way under the bridge toward the geyser. The snake, not the lifeguard.

We found a lizard on our daybed at the Polynesian. I thought it was one of DGS's toys he won at the arcade until I touched it!!!!
tinkerbellmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:32 AM   #154
Kitzer
Budding Guitarist

Snake Hats in the jungle

My son was down for Disney college last fall and he spun the cap off his water bottle and he immediatley went to pick up. As he bent down he noticed it fell right on a snakes head. He said it looked like a snake with a little hat before the thing took off through the grass.

I remember visiting my aunt in Clearwater maybe 35 years ago when Florida was a lot more wild and less developed. I walked out of her house and the next door neighbor was beating a huge 12-15 ft snake into a cloth bag with a shovel. Being a little kid from Illinois, I freaked . I remember thinking what kind of place is this, the jungle.
Kitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:40 AM   #155
aliceinwdr
Disney FANatic

Stupid...stupid...stupid me...

I have been so excited about my pirate room at CBR - what was I thinking. I got a waterview room - WHY to be closer to the snakes!!!

Why did I read this post - over 20 times to WDW and I have never seen a snake!! Now I feel cursed.

When I was about 8 years old I was in Louisiana walking through a cow pasture with my grandma and her dogs were sniffing out a snake and she was looking for it. I was about to step over a cow pie when a head popped out of it. I screamed jumped 8 feet in the air and ran. My crazy Grandma came over and beat it with a large object and picked it up to ask me if I wanted to take it home. It was about a 4 foot cottonmouth.

I HATE snakes!!

LY I was walking though our living room with my dd -3 and I see a snake over by the wall. I scream, tried to remember to grab the baby and run - my husband peaks around the door with me to look at it - walked out there and picked it up be the neck only to laugh and bring it to me like it was alive - it was plastic. I had bought them for my kids survivor party and they had given it to the baby to play with. She had no idea why mommy was so hysterical. Now the snake "hides" all over the house...
aliceinwdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:47 AM   #156
stitch34
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRCCrazy View Post
I for one found a snake in my bathroom at POP room 8122, they said it must have got in while the maid was cleaning the room. (See pic below)
ugh! just when I was hoping Pop would be a snake-free resort! why am I so fascinated with this thread and keep reading it?!
stitch34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:55 AM   #157
tabbybizgan
Earning My Ears

We stayed at the Polynesian Resort and we didn't have any problems in the rooms.

We did have a mini lizard/gheko that was right inside the entrance, and we saw it several times, hiding behind the plants. The kids thought it was cute.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:54 AM   #158
P.I. Squirrel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRCCrazy View Post
We saw a similar snake at Pop around the same time last year as your photo. We were unloading our bags, and he crossed the sidewalk in front of me. Too quick for a photo, though.

I noticed your photo was out of focus. That appears to be the quickest "open the door, shoot it, and close the door" I have ever seen!

P.I. Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:22 AM   #159
pacman9a
Mouseketeer

Eek!

My DW is terrified of snakes, she can't even watch them on tv. We don't have many in the UK I think only 2 or 3 types and only one of them is mildly venomous. She will completely freak out if she even sees one in the distance never mind in our room.

I'd better make sure she doesn't see this thread or I'll be dismantling every stick of furniture from our room every day to show that its snake free!

Like other posters I don't mind them from a safe distance and even find them fascinating but I would scream and cry if there was one in my bed!!

pacman9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:13 AM   #160
hockeymom3
Mouseketeer

I must also be a sucker for punishment because I keep reading this stinkin thread when all its doing is making me worry about seeing a snake. I would have to ask for a new room if I ever found a snake in it.

Honestly, I think this is the ONLY reason that I couldn't live in Florida. Don't get me wrong, I know other places have snakes and stuff - I couldn't live there either!!

Second Family Disney Trip April 30 - May 8, 2013 POR
First Family Disney Trip May 2-12, 2009 AKL/WL
hockeymom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #161
nanalisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie46 View Post
what did they do with the 5 ft snake in the pool??? I am so curious.. The snake we saw was at Port Orleans Riverside...
There were 2 fully dressed maintenance men in the water with big nets. I don't know what they did with it. I hope it wasn't part of the breakfast skillet at the Roaring Fork I can't believe I wrote that.

91 off prop; 92 CBR; 93 DL; 95 DL & WL; 96 WL; 97 CSR & WL; 98 (Nov) DL; 99 CBR, Poly & BC; 01 AKL & Contemp; 02 (Jan) WL; 02 POR & Poly; 03 AKL; 05 POFQ, WL & SSR; 06 (July) Boardwalk & Contemporary; 07 (Oct) AKL; 09 (August) ASMU & WL; 10 (Oct) POR; 11 (Dec) POR; 13 (Jan) POR; 14 (July) CSR
nanalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #162
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslipper View Post
I guess you won't want to hear that I saw a RAT in Epcot! We were sitting on the patio at Rose & Crown, you know, those coveted patio tables everyone wants for illuminations?, Well, about 15 mins. before the show, we had one of our own: a rat ran across the patio right over my Mom's feet OMG, we were shocked, the people at the next table saw it too, we couldn't believe it. Yuck, yuck yuck!!!
isn't he in Les Chefs de France now, entertaining guests? think his name is Remi?

Barbie
disneybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #163
Tracyplus5
Mouseketeer

If we're staying in a blacony room do we still need to keep the balcony door closed? Can they get in that way too?

Snakes & spiders are my two biggest fears. I'm printing out pics of the poisonous ones to take with me! Ick.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #164
glasslipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
isn't he in Les Chefs de France now, entertaining guests? think his name is Remi?

Barbie
I wish it were Remi instead of a real rat, I'm still grossed out thinking about it!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #165
HRCCrazy
Member of the AZ Party Dogs, My Dog Name is Wrench, and I just earn my Gold Dog Bone, now I'm a true Party Dog, The AZPD run a Police Toy Drive and Memorials for fallen Police Officers in Arizona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.I. Squirrel View Post
We saw a similar snake at Pop around the same time last year as your photo. We were unloading our bags, and he crossed the sidewalk in front of me. Too quick for a photo, though.

I noticed your photo was out of focus. That appears to be the quickest "open the door, shoot it, and close the door" I have ever seen!
I walk in to use the room, and seen it laying there, thought who left is toy snake in here, till it move, then I jump, and started to exit the room, then I remember I have the camera in my hand, went back took the pic, and out the door I went, found 2 CM in a golf cart, they walk in and one I show the snake said "it's a toy" till it move again, and he was out the door faster then I was, took them about 1/2 hour to remove it, I sure didn't sleep good that night, it was my last night so I didn't ask to change rooms, just made sure to check everything I pick up.
Funny thing is when I was in grade school I had a pet snake in my bedroom, play with it all the time, the a few years ago I came across a rattlesnake, we were about 2 feet apart and it was very BIG, from then on I hate snakes

Disney Dream 4day 9-11-2011, WDW Trip #17 Solo ASSP 9/25 then POP 9-26-09 to 10-4, Solo POP 9-13 to 21 & a Snake in my room, made Trip #16 one not to forget 3 Day Wonder Sept. 99 Cat.#9(2072),7 Day Magic Eastern Jan. 02 Cat #7(5632),3 Day Wonder Set. 02 Cat #7 $99.00 Cruise(5136), First Solo Cruise 7 Day Magic Western Sept. 06 Cat #9(2578)Then POR w/Brother, 17 trips to WDW so far, 14 w/Mom (miss our trips Mom), 1w/Brother, 2 solo at POP. 11 X Dixie Landings 1 @ X-mas/NewYears, 1 X WL, 1 X CR, 1 X ASMU, 1 X ASSP.
HRCCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: