Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #31
BigDogHU75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Hey, I just found your TR and realized that I am in your shoutouts! That's enough to get me on board with your TR...

I am very jealous of AKV being your "home." Not that I don't love our home resort at Saratoga Springs! But AKV is a pretty awesome resort. Can't wait to read more about your trip!
Welcome! I am glad you found my TR. I hope you find it as enjoyable as I have found yours to be. I am still reading the one you are writing now.
AKV is a great resort. Like I said in a previous post, I do want to visit SSR one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPanMan View Post
I'm sitting here, laughing to myself, and wondering if we are related. I have completely experienced this type of travel. You basically bring everything with you but the furniture and the kitchen sink.

I was rolling about the part where your DMIL was telling the CM how to load the cart and your DFIL just watched. Sounds like a very wise man.

Can't wait to hear more........and SOON!!!!!
I have experienced this type of travel most of my life with my parents. Packing everything but the kitchen sink is the only way my DM travels. DF has learned after almost 48 years of marriage to just stand back and let DM be. He is a wise man. But, at the time I did not find it funny when DM was telling the CM how to load the cart. I was so embarassed. Now, I can laugh about it because I know how my DM is.
2013 July 4th Family Celebration at WDW, 2012 Disney Fantasy Birthday Cruise, 2011 Disney Dream Cruise, SSR, Member Crusie 2010, & AKV, A Trip of DVC Firsts - BCV, MNSSHP, Sept. '09 Members Cruise, & Kidani, Plans are Made to be Broken ... Feb. 2009, 2002 Land & Sea Honeymoon
Old 03-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #32
BigDogHU75
DIS Veteran

Eat, Rest, Unpack, & Explore

Everyone was grateful when food was ready. We had turkey burgers, hot dogs, and Pringles. DMIL also made a salad and sliced some onions and tomatoes to go on the hamburgers. That meal hit the spot. Everyone was satisfied. After the meal, it was time to get back to work.

I unpacked our clothes and helped DMIL unpack all of the food products. Our refrigerator filled out pretty quickly so we had to use the small refrigerator in her room for the overflow.

After all of the unpacking, I was too tired to go to Downtown Disney. I took some pictures of our 2-bedroom(not too many) …

Door that leads to the studio (5427)

Left view

… and then sat down and rested for a while. I was a tired lady.

Later, that evening, DH, DS, & I decided to look around the lobby. It is during this time we discovered that a Photopass photographer had roped off a little section in the lobby to take pictures. He told us that photographers would be in the lobby every evening to take pictures. He further explained that this was something new and was only available at three resorts. I was so glad that I had pre-purchased the Disney Photopass CD. I knew that I would be taking advantaging of this service starting tonight. I asked for a Photopass card and then my family & I sat down for our first picture together at Disney. How fitting the picture was taken at AKV. Welcome home!

After we finished taking our pictures, the rest of the family met us in the lobby and we went on a self-guided tour of AKV. My mission was to find BOMA since we would be eating breakfast there the next morning, but, first, we looked in the Zawadi Marketplace. My DF & DU tried on some hats. My DM went on a search to find the plates like the ones that were hanging on the wall. We all left the store empty handed. We then headed down to the first floor and found BOMA. Somehow, DMIL was able to walk in and look around. When DU tried to do it he was stopped by a greeter and told he could not. Next, we went outside. It was a little cool so DM & DF went back inside. The rest of us explored the outside surroundings. The pool was beautiful. I wish I could have taken a dip. DS was trying his best to get in. We quickly moved on and found the Hakuna Matata Playground. It was dark but that did not stop DS from wanting to go down the slides. It was at that moment that he & DU bonded. DU would pick DS up and help him slide down the slide and then pick him up and do it all over again. I lost track of how long this went on. DS was having so much fun and DU seemed to be too.

Since it was getting a little chilly, we decided to head back to our rooms. We wished DU a good night and went our separate ways once we got off the elevator. When we got back to our room, DMIL decided that we needed ice so she and DS went on a hunt for some. In the meantime, I decided to take a movie of our room. I do not know why I thought it would be a good idea to film the bedrooms at night because it came out dark even though it looked fine to me while I was filming it. It totally slipped my mind to try filming again during the day. Hopefully, you can see some of the room or at least get a sense of the layout.

AKV 2-Bedroom L/O

Once DMIL & DS came back, I got DS ready for bed and put him in the pack ‘n play. It was way past his bedtime. He was out in no time.

Now, it was my turn to relax but I could not. I was so excited about the plans for the next day and wanted to look at the packet that I was given when we checked in.

Inside the packet was the Times Guide for the week which listed the openings, closings, and EMH for each park. It also contained the resort’s activities sheet and some advertisements.

I took note of Portable Perks booklet that was included in the folder and put it in DS’s diaper bag. Portable Perks contained what restaurants, counter services, stores, etc. offered discounts to DVC members.

Portable Perks

I then reviewed the itinerary for the next day, Sunday, February 8. Now, it was time to have a good night’s sleep and what a good night’s sleep it was after I got used to the pillows. I am used to having king-size pillows on a king-size bed. These pillows were small but the bed was very comfortable and I eventually got used to the pillows. I wanted to be well rested since I knew we would have a busy day. Sunday would begin with breakfast at BOMA followed by a visit to Epcot.
2013 July 4th Family Celebration at WDW, 2012 Disney Fantasy Birthday Cruise, 2011 Disney Dream Cruise, SSR, Member Crusie 2010, & AKV, A Trip of DVC Firsts - BCV, MNSSHP, Sept. '09 Members Cruise, & Kidani, Plans are Made to be Broken ... Feb. 2009, 2002 Land & Sea Honeymoon
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #33
Donald is #1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogHU75 View Post
It was a sight to behold. All of the groceries that both mothers had could have fed a small army and both tried to cook everything they brought. DS would sometimes eat breakfast twice since both grandmothers did not want him to be hungry. It was so funny.
That must have been something to see! I can't wait to hear about more.

I didn't know about the photographers in the lobby. They took some great pictures for you!

Thanks Kimmar
Go Red Sox & Patriots!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #34
BigDogHU75
DIS Veteran

Time to Visit a Park, But First We Must Eat

Sorry for the delay. Here is another installment. I hope there are some who are still interested.

Sunday, February 8, 2009
The Plan:

8:50 a.m. reservation for breakfast at Boma in the AKL. Be at Epcot by 11:00 a.m. Originally, this day was supposed to be a ½ day at Epcot with us touring the World Showcase which is why I wanted to be at the park by 11 a.m. But, since we were purchasing only a 5-day pass with the military salute discount, this would be our only day at Epcot as a group. I did not want to change our reservations at Boma so I stuck with the 11:00 a.m. arrival time.

What happened:
We left off with me going to bed after a long day of unpacking and get things situated in the room. Even though I was tired, I could not sleep well. I guess I was excited about eating at Boma’s and finally going to a park. Or, it could have been the smell of turkey cooking in the oven at 5 o’clock in the morning. Yes, you read right. Around 5 in the morning the aroma of a cooking turkey wafted into the bedroom. I had flashbacks of Thanksgiving morn. Was I dreaming? No. I was awakened from my slumber by the clinging of pots and pans and the smells of Thanksgiving. My DMIL was preparing the evening meal. I tossed and turned for a little bit and tried to go back to sleep but 7 o’clock came in no time. I sprung out of bed excited about the day’s events.

Breakfast at Boma’s was a must. I have read so many great reviews that I had to experience it for myself. Everybody was on time except for DH’s DF and his wife. They were staying off property and were going to meet us at Boma. Our crew met at the elevator and headed down. We arrived about five minutes before our reservation and were given a buzzer. While waiting, I took a couple of pictures.

The wait was not long. In about five minutes we were called to our table.

We placed our orders for the famous jungle juice, which was DELISH, and the parents ordered coffee. We then headed up to get our plates and fill them with food. The selections were outstanding.

During that time, DH’s DF & his wife (DMIL2) had arrived.

The food was very good and tasty. Everyone enjoyed their meals although there was some debate about whether grits were better than one of the African dishes of which I can't remember the name. And, the service was wonderful.

Now, it was time to head to Epcot. But, first, we needed to grab our stuff from the rooms.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #35
BigDogHU75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald is #1 View Post
That must have been something to see! I can't wait to hear about more.

I didn't know about the photographers in the lobby. They took some great pictures for you!
It was a sight to behold and amazingly we managed to put everything away.

I loved the way the pictures turned out. I was so happy they were available every night because we had a new group taking pictures every night due to the visitors we had.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #36
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

I'm still interested!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs UPCOMING TRIP: April '14-Pop Century
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 03-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #37
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Quote:

I will not bore you with all of the details but needless to say I called MS more than once. I changed our reservations from Feb. 7 – 14 to Feb 8 – 15 to Feb 8 – 14 back to Feb. 7-14. And, I will not begin to tell you how many times I changed my dining reservations (ADRs).

Umm. These are DISers you are talking to.... !!

We do this all the time!!

Going back to finish reading.... I'm hoping that we will get AKV when I make our DVC ressie next week and I'm so excited to read an AKV report!!

Kathy
Old 03-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #38
KathyRN137

Quote:

DS having fun with his Pop Pop

I love this picture!!! (And I'll bet you do, too!)

Kathy
Old 03-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #39
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

YEAH!!! Your back!!!

Not to get ahead of your TR but did you eat a Boma for dinner? If you did how was it? I was thinking of eating there when we were there in March but I ended up changing Boma to something else...... We didn't know if our DD would like all the different food. She is really picky!

Waiting to hear more

Tim
Old 03-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #40
tink1957
DIS Veteran

Don't you just love Boma, your pics had my mouth watering(where is that drooling smiley?) I want some Frunch NOW!
Old 03-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #41
DisneyFaeriePrincess
Chocolate and Mickey, what else could be better.

Hi. I just started reading your trip report today and I'm hooked! I saw your pictures of AKV and I just told my dad that next time we go to disney we have to stay there, it's not an option! I love the pictures. We're DVC members too but we didn't get to stay at AKV on our last trip, they were all booked but on one of our shorter trips we stayed in a room for a few nights at AKL, I love that resort! We ate at Boma's on that trip too and loved the food and atmosphere. I love your description of your family and the crazy things they do! My grandmother is just like your DM and DMIL, always making food for her grandkids! Your son is adorable too! I can't wait to read more!!
'95=Port Orleans '96=OKW '97=OKW '98=OKW in Jan. with Nonna and Grandma and OKW in summer '99=OKW and New Years trip '00=OKW '01=7 day Disney Cruise on the Magic and a week at Boardwalk '02=My bandtrip to WDW in May(off property) and OKW in the summer '03=OKW in the summer and for New Years '04=7 day Disney Cruise on the Magic and a day trip to Downtown Disney '05=OKW in the summer and AKL for New Years '06=My brother's bandtrip to WDW in May and OKW in the summer '07=OKW '08=OKW '09=Pop Century for DBF's first WDW trip'10=Disneyland with the family and Pop Century with DBF for my birthday '11=AKL and DCL for our honeymoon'12=Pop Century for my birthday our 1 year wedding anniversary '13=OKW with the whole family!! '13=OKW for Christmas decorations! '14=Pop for anniversary and birthday trip
Me DH Rajah

Old 03-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #42
Donald is #1
DIS Veteran

Breakfast at Bomas sounds great. I have never had breakfast there because I am not a big breakfast person. I have been there twice for dinner and had awesome meals. But maybe I will need to try them for breakfast on my December trip.

Thanks Kimmar
Go Red Sox & Patriots!
Old 03-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #43
BigDogHU75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
I'm still interested!
I am glad you are still with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Umm. These are DISers you are talking to.... !!

We do this all the time!!

Going back to finish reading.... I'm hoping that we will get AKV when I make our DVC ressie next week and I'm so excited to read an AKV report!!

Kathy
Kathy, welcome to my TR. I hope you are able to get a ressie at AKV. It is a beautiful resort and the view are amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
I love this picture!!! (And I'll bet you do, too!)

Kathy
My DS was going to delete it from her camera and I told her she better not. I love this picture of DS and DF! They adore one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
YEAH!!! Your back!!!

Not to get ahead of your TR but did you eat a Boma for dinner? If you did how was it? I was thinking of eating there when we were there in March but I ended up changing Boma to something else...... We didn't know if our DD would like all the different food. She is really picky!

Waiting to hear more

Tim
I wanted to eat at Boma's for dinner but we had so much food that I did not get a chance. When I go back in Sept. I will try to eat there. Your trip report has me considering some other options though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink1957 View Post
Don't you just love Boma, your pics had my mouth watering(where is that drooling smiley?) I want some Frunch NOW!
I loved Boma! There was something for everybody. My family did not leave disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFaeriePrincess View Post
Hi. I just started reading your trip report today and I'm hooked! I saw your pictures of AKV and I just told my dad that next time we go to disney we have to stay there, it's not an option! I love the pictures. We're DVC members too but we didn't get to stay at AKV on our last trip, they were all booked but on one of our shorter trips we stayed in a room for a few nights at AKL, I love that resort! We ate at Boma's on that trip too and loved the food and atmosphere. I love your description of your family and the crazy things they do! My grandmother is just like your DM and DMIL, always making food for her grandkids! Your son is adorable too! I can't wait to read more!!
Welcome to my TR! I think DS is so adorable too. I could just eat him up. Thank you for the compliment.
You're right there is no other option. You have to stay at AKV for at least a week so that you can experience fully what AKV has to offer. And, even a week was too short for us. I really wanted to do so much more at AKV but did not have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald is #1 View Post
Breakfast at Bomas sounds great. I have never had breakfast there because I am not a big breakfast person. I have been there twice for dinner and had awesome meals. But maybe I will need to try them for breakfast on my December trip.
You cannot go wrong with a Boma breakfast even if you are not a big breakfast eater. You would just want to taste a little bit of everything. And, maybe you could have a late breakfast there. I would have loved to experience dinner there. The food smelled delicious every time I walked passed there in the evening. I might try to eat there when we stay there after the member's cruise in Sept.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #44
BigDogHU75
DIS Veteran

Time to Visit a Park, But First We Must Eat pt. 2

I had already packed the bags and DS’s stroller the previous night. I also made sure I had the autograph cards that I found on the DIS & printed out.

Thank you to Chaoscent and Ljcollins_2008 (don’t know if that is her Disboards screen name)

We all grabbed our belongings and headed to the bus stop. Once we were in the lobby, however, I noticed a Photopass photographer so, I decided that we needed to stop and take a group picture.

Now it was time to head to the bus stop. But, when we got outside DMIL2 needed to head to her car to see if she had her military ID. So, we soaked in the sun and waited for her to return. The weather was gorgeous. The sun was shining and the temperature was just right.

After she came back, we finally headed to the bus stop. The bus for Epcot did not take long. We only waited about 10 minutes. The ride was not bad either.

Once at Epcot, we purchased our tickets and headed inside. It was a little after noon and we were finally at our first park - Epcot.

Though I had a plan as to what I wanted to do, the others wanted to enjoy the day. So, I acquiesced and went with the flow.

One of the mantras of one of the touring websites I visited was “Ride first, characters later.” Well, we did just the opposite. The first character we saw, we wanted to take a picture with. That character was Baloo.

We next headed over to Spaceship Earth.

The wait was only 10 minutes. So, I parked the stroller among the sea of strollers and we all got in line. The line moved quickly and in no time we were inside and seated in our cars. Everyone enjoyed the ride and got a kick out of the ending. However, while we were on the ride it came to a complete stop for about five minutes. I thought DS would start to cry because we were stopped in the dark room where it seems as if you are looking at shooting stars. But, DS was fine. He kept looking at the lights.

After Spaceship Earth, we made our way over to the World Showcase. Now, I knew that DS liked to walk so I brought this “backpack” for him.

The aforementioned backpack on DS’s back
The backpack was mainly for me because I thought I would be ble to exercise a little control over DS while he was walking. Well, DS did not like the "control mechanism" on the bakpack (or should I call it what it really is - a leash) one bit. He would take a few steps and then notice that I was holding on to part of his backpack and flipped out. So much for my brilliant idea.

On our way to the World Showcase, we stopped at Club Cool. Now, I had read on the Disboards about this drink called the Beverly. I knew I did not want to try it but I made DH try it. He had no idea what to expect. He had tried some of the other drinks and liked it. But, when he tried the Beverly his face told me that he did not like it. DF & DMIL tried it too and their facial expressions were hysterical.

When we arrived at WS, we stopped to enjoy the scenery and take some pictures.

We went to Mexico, explored inside the pyramid, and rode the Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros. The ride was cute. DS enjoyed seeing “duck.” By the time we made it to China, DS made it known to everyone that he was not happy. I figured out that he was hungry. So, I made a fast break to Lotus Blossom Café where we ordered a BBQ chicken leg kids meal for DS which came with a milk, one order of egg rolls, and 2 smoothies (1 mango 7 1 strawberry). The total came to $21.24. The sauce on the chicken leg was very yummy but DS was not in the mood for it so I ate it. He did eat some of the rice and drank his milk. Once he settled down, we decided that it was time to head back to the bus stop since DS was still not in a great mood and some were getting tired of all the walking. But, we managed to take some pictures in the WS.

On our walk back, DS seemed to relax a little so I decided that we should head to The Seas with Nemo & Friends. While walking on the bridge between WS and Future World we noticed a big fish in the water which my DU wanted to take back to the room and fry it up.

We made it to The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The wait was only 5 minutes. Before entering we took some more pictures.

We tried to get DS to turn around and smile for the camera but he was more interested in looking at the water and the seagulls.

Though the stated wait time was 5 minutes, we walked right onto the ride. Nemo & Friends was a cute ride. DS enjoyed it. We next visited the aquarium. DS enjoyed a looking at the fish and manatee for a brief moment.

Would DS be interested in seeing the dolphins?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #45
KathyRN137

Quote:

After Spaceship Earth, we made our way over to the World Showcase. Now, I knew that DS liked to walk so I brought this “backpack” for him.

The aforementioned backpack on DS’s back
The backpack was mainly for me because I thought I would be ble to exercise a little control over DS while he was walking. Well, DS did not like the "control mechanism" on the bakpack (or should I call it what it really is - a leash) one bit. He would take a few steps and then notice that I was holding on to part of his backpack and flipped out. So much for my brilliant idea.

Our kids are too smart for us, aren't they??

Oh well!!

Looking forward to more...

Kathy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: