Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Smile Pre-Trip, Disney in August...am I nuts?!? - Trip Report!!

Hey all! I am still relatively new to the DIS boards, so forgive me if I don't follow the normal quid pro quo but I am so excited about going to Disney I can't stand it!!
For a little bit more about me and my life:
I, Amanda-Kate, have been married for nearly 10 months to the best man I know, Johnny Mack! He is the kindest, smartest, most wonderful guy out there (or as my mom put it, the most "perfect man" for me!). Anyway, 'nuf sappy stuff. More about me, ha! I currently teach middle school history and am finishing up my Master's degree (hopefully right before our trip, which is kind of the justification for it!). My hubby and I met a few years ago in grad school (he has since decided a Master's was not enough <no, no, never. why stop now?!> and has decided to pursue his Doctorate <yeah, have fun with that one!>). We were married this past summer (06-07-08!) in San Juan Puerto Rico!

I'll be sure to post some pics from the actual wedding, but now you kind of know what we look like! (Sorry it's such a big pic, I'm still learning! And the look on my face is from the sun, I do usually smile! hehe)
Fyi, the pic I'm using on the avatar (sp?) is from our reception! That's right! We got married in P.R. with a few friends & family then had ourselves and nice big party when we got back! It was awesome!!!
Anyway, I've always had a heart for Disney. Sadly, the last time I made a trip to WDW I was 14!! Yikes! After much debate and begging, I finally convinced my groom that we should take a trip to Disney! It took a little while because "J" was convinced that Disney should be a trip after we have kids! Oh no!!! I'll never get to go!!
Fortunately, after talking with a few "grow-ups", J was convinced that WDW would be an appropriate trip IF I could make the numbers work. Could I make the numbers work! Ha! Uh.... well, wait a minute, what exactly does "numbers" mean?!
As luck would have it, I discovered the DIS boards and all the wonderful strategies and savings ideas (LOVE this place!) and have sense "made the numbers work" and we are officially going!!
We're booked to stay at the Boardwalk Villas, Aug 9-14! I cannot wait!! By the way, the last time I was at WDW (again, like 15 years ago!) the BWV didn't even exist! So if anyone has tips on what to expect, the food, or the overall impression of the BWV I would love to hear it!
So now that we're down to 4+ months (and counting!) I've been obsessed with researching Disney. To be honest, I should spend a little more time on my research paper for school (which I will!)...this is just so much fun! I wish that EMHs were posted for August, but no such luck. I'll just keep waiting until something comes up. I also have my heart set on a few classic things to do while we're there (rides, shows, etc) and can't wait to try all the new stuff (too much to list). I was really sad to learn that Space Mountain will still be down while we're there oh well...
Anyway, I'm trying to make this the best trip EVER for my hubby so he'll want to come back someday (with or without kids!).On a side note, we do have a few kids...well kind of. Our two boys, Koda and Romeo, the best doggies ever! Still need to get a picture of them up, will do soon! I figure having two pups will kind of give us a little practice on babies. Which by the way, we are officially "trying" for a baby. Only God knows when we'll be blessed with the pitter patter of little feet!
So, that's the gist of who I am and how I came to be! I hope people won't find me too boring. And I really hope to get a little following! I love to read folks' blogs to get excited about our trip! Thanks so much to everyone out there and have a wonderful day!
~A
P.S. Let me know who plans on being in WDW at the same time! Would love to meet up!! xoxo

Since I love it when people have links, here ya go!
my babies!
Gotta love the beach!!
Who are we?!
School Stinks! But shopping is GREAT!!
Call me O.C.D. if you wanna!
If you're interested...
Party!!
swine time!
Time to Dine!!!
Some photo-planning fun!
Summer's here...finally!
Slight Change in Plans...
Getting Plans in Order, Day 1 - 7/6
More Plans, Day 2 - 7/9
Still Planning, Day 3 - 7/14
On to Day 4 -7/19
The Last Full One, Day 5 - 7/28
One Week To Go!! - 8/2

As soon as we can plan another trip, I'll start my TR
Time to go for Christmas! Dec '12 PTR
TR-Yogi Drags Her Dude Back! Aug 2011 TR - Hubby & Prego do Disney in August 2009

Last edited by amandaluvsgoofy; 08-17-2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: adding links
Old 03-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Hi,
Welcome to The DIS Boards.
We have a pre-trip board, so I am going to move you to that area.
When you return from WDW, you can give me PM and I'll move it back to this area, or you can start a new thread.

Plans look good, just remember August is really hot.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much! I think I noticed that after I posted it (oops!)
I know, I know! August is "yucky" month, and my hubby HATES the heat. Oh well, I still can't wait!!
~A

TR-Yogi Drags Her Dude Back! Aug 2011 TR - Hubby & Prego do Disney in August 2009
Old 03-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Disney in August...planning early!

I am so addicted to the DIS boards I can't stand it! But it's so much fun!
I've read some reports about FPs and it got me thinking about what rides we should shoot for and what rides, sadly, may need to be left out. 'Course I know that one person's favorite ride might mean nothing to another. Guess I'm just curious what are the most popular FPs that fill up quickly? And what are the crowds gonna be like that week in August?! My poor hubby...he hates the heat and hates lots of people. Hopefully I can plan well enough and make it the best trip ever!
And I found a few pics of my two boys! Granted they aren't the best shots, but I still think they're cute!
Koda! Romeo! These boys are so sweet! I love them so much!!
I really appreciate everyone who's taken the time to read my pre-trip report. Just hope it gets a little more interesting for everyone!

Old 03-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
Plumeria
California girl for life!

Aww, your doggies are so cute!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumeria View Post
Aww, your doggies are so cute!
Thank you!! They're my kiddos and I love them soooo much! Do you have any pups or kitties?!

Old 03-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
goin2themouse
Mouseketeer

August can be a bear, no doubt about it, but there are ways around it. Get to the parks first thing in the morning, and I mean first thing, before they open. Spend a few hours, leave for the afternoon, then come back in the evening. In between, explore resorts, nap, hit the pool, do the water parks, shop in Downtown Disney, lots of possibilities.

You'll love it!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2themouse View Post
August can be a bear, no doubt about it, but there are ways around it. Get to the parks first thing in the morning, and I mean first thing, before they open. Spend a few hours, leave for the afternoon, then come back in the evening. In between, explore resorts, nap, hit the pool, do the water parks, shop in Downtown Disney, lots of possibilities.

You'll love it!
That's totally what I was planning! I'm kind of an early bird anyway, so hopefully I'll be able to get J out of bed! I purchased our tickets but didn't get the park hopper (trying to save some $$), is that bad? After reading dis it seems like people love being able to park hop (incase one park is too busy, etc). Geez...now I'm second guessing myself...

Old 03-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Just ordered our Crocs!!

After spending wwwaaaaaayyyy too much time on DIS, I decided J and I needed to order some Crocs. I have never owned Crocs and really hope we'll like them! I got to order some with Mikey-shaped holes! Sadly, they didn't have any in that style in J's size (not sure if he was really disappointed). I really hope they get in soon!!!
I found a pic on the computer of our wedding! There were about 25 people there, so it was a good size. We had sooooo much fun that night on the beach! I need to download some pics of the dancing!!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
OhioDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Hi

I just found your PTR. The DIS is quite addicting, isn't it? When I first found the DIS I swear I would be on it for hours!!!

Your wedding looked beautiful.

I have not stayed at BV yet but I hear that it's awesome. August is really hot. We did that once but DH has refused to go again...the heat was way too much for him. What's interesting is that we now go in September and the weather is about the same. I think he thinks that September just sounds like it's not so hot.

Looking forward to reading more about your plans.

Hey BangBang Chicken...Where's Carl?http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post50814403 CURRENT TR in Progress Really? All of us? ... a Jan PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3186622
The Most Wonderful Thing About Tiggers...happened to us! A 2013 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3066866
Road Trip! Stop1: Inkedupmomma's Wedding, Stop 2: Disney - A Feb 2013 PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....0#post45966160
Small Po-taaaa-toes! My Sept 2011 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post42885313
The "I said I wasn't going to do a PTR...PTR (Sept 2011) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post39927349
Drama Please End...Fun, Please Begin..A Sept TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post38357331
Old 03-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Hey there! I saw your PTR title and had to join because we are going in August for the first time and I honestly thought of naming my PTR something like that!

We don't get there until the 20th so we'll miss you by a few days. That is so cool you are staying at the Boardwalk...that was one of our top choices but we ended up picking the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge.

Can't wait to hear more of your plans!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 03-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #12
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDisneyLover View Post
Hi

I just found your PTR. The DIS is quite addicting, isn't it? When I first found the DIS I swear I would be on it for hours!!!

Your wedding looked beautiful.

I have not stayed at BV yet but I hear that it's awesome. August is really hot. We did that once but DH has refused to go again...the heat was way too much for him. What's interesting is that we now go in September and the weather is about the same. I think he thinks that September just sounds like it's not so hot.

Looking forward to reading more about your plans.

Hey Ohio!!
I know! I really have to limit my time on DIS!
Thank you so much! Our wedding was so much fun! I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day!
That's hilarious about your DH not liking August but thinking September is ok! I have a feeling if J really likes it (which I'm hoping he will!) that our next trip might need to happen in a cooler month. Unfortunately, we're both teachers so summer (and regular school holidays) are the best times for us. Oh well, guess we might have to miss a few days of school next time!
Have a great one!!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #13
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Hey there! I saw your PTR title and had to join because we are going in August for the first time and I honestly thought of naming my PTR something like that!

We don't get there until the 20th so we'll miss you by a few days. That is so cool you are staying at the Boardwalk...that was one of our top choices but we ended up picking the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge.

Can't wait to hear more of your plans!

Hey back at ya!
I am so freaked out about August, but hopefully I can plan well enough so my DH can survive (and want to come back!). You guys should actually be a bit better as far as crowds go since most schools start back around that time. The VWL was also a top choice for us, too! But we ended up picking the BWV since it's close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios! But next time we might have to stay at the Wilderness, especially if we go around the holidays! (can you tell I'm already pre-planning our next trip? hehe)
Have a wonderful day!!

Old 03-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #14
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandakatehunter View Post

Hey back at ya!
I am so freaked out about August, but hopefully I can plan well enough so my DH can survive (and want to come back!). You guys should actually be a bit better as far as crowds go since most schools start back around that time. The VWL was also a top choice for us, too! But we ended up picking the BWV since it's close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios! But next time we might have to stay at the Wilderness, especially if we go around the holidays! (can you tell I'm already pre-planning our next trip? hehe)
Have a wonderful day!!
You guys will love being so close to Epcot and DHS...we stayed at the Beach Club Villas in December and it was awesome (that's partly why we decided on WL for this trip since it's something different). Be sure to take the boat ride to DHS atleast once. I am telling you it is one of the greatest views in all of Disney World!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 03-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #15
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

What a busy weekend!!!
I knew it was going to be a little busy, but I don't think I got a chance to catch up on my sleep!
As you may (or may not) know, J is a teacher and a baseball coach (we're actually both teachers, he works at a private school and teaches high school history along with coaching varsity baseball). Well, since it's spring time, J's baseball season is in full swing! He was supposed to go with his team to Oklahoma this past weekend, but the weather was so bad (here and there) that the games were cancelled. Well, not really, they were rescheduled. The worst part was that J didn't know until the last minute whether they were going to OK or not. So just a little stressful for him (which means just a little stressful for me!). I had several appointments this past weekend plus we're doing a little remodeling on the house (which is soooooo much fun!).
One of my best friends, Rachael and her hubby, Bobby, came over yesterday to help install a new ceiling fan in what is now our office/workout room (used to be a office/guest room). I always beat myself up in the middle of projects, questioning why I decided to take on something else! But once it's complete I know it'll be great!!
Anyway, I've just been a little busy and overwhelmed lately. The anxiety from work and grad school usually start to set in this time of the semester. But come mid-May the course will be over and I can breathe again (at least until summer school starts, hehe).
Just to keep up with the "getting to know ya" part, I found another picture of J messing around with Koda! This is a constant occurrence at our house, our "bad" little boys misbehaving and needing daddy's "iron fist of discipline!" (if you haven't figured out that I'm totally kidding by now, just know that our boys are probably some of the most spoiled pups on the planet, but also some of the sweetest!)
Hope all have a great Monday! (well, as good as a Monday can be )

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: