Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
thadarkslayer
Mouseketeer

The Mother Daughter Double Birthday Bash of February 2009 - Updated 7/16

THE MOTHER DAUGHTER DOUBLE BIRTHDAY BASH OF FEBRUARY 2009!

Well, what better trip to document in my first trip report than a mother daughter double birthday bash? Nothing else comes to mind, right? I didn't think so.

Just who is this mother/daugther duo I speak of you ask? I'm the daughter half of it, Ashley. I'll be celebrating my 24th birthday during this trip, and live in the 'burbs outside of Atlanta.

Dolores also known to me as "Mom" will be celebrating her birthday during our trip as well, but I won't mention exactly which birthday it is because she might not be too happy with me if I do. Besides, I'm a firm believer that age doesn't mean a thing.

My mom and dad took me on my first trip to Disney World in 1990. I was 5 years old at the time.

We went on several family trips through the 90's with just me and the parentals and the occasional Grandmother thrown into the mix.

Apparently, I get my Disney obsession in my genes. Here's a shot of my grandmother at Disneyland in the 70's.

My dad passed away in 2000, and my mom and I decided to help ourselves break through the sadness, we would go to the happiest place on earth. We brought my aunt and two cousins along for their first trips as well. Here I am in all of my 15 year old glory with my two cousins, and a couple of mice you may recognize.

In 2002, my mom and I had some leftover days on tickets from the previous trip, and we decided to do our first strictly mother/daughter trip. This was also the turning point for me in terms of being a normal Disney "tourist" to die-hard Disney-nutjob. I've been on a few other mother/daughter trips, as well as all sorts of varieties of trips every year since 2002, and even moved to Florida from 2004-2005 to try my hand at being a Cast Member. I found myself as a "Front Desk Hostess" at the All Star Resorts, and I got to sport this nifty multi-colored outfit, see?

I moved back to Georgia to finish school in 2005, but visit Florida multiple times throughout the year because my girlfriend's family still lives in Central Florida. I mostly do day trips these days while we're down visiting her family. My last trip was October of last year, but my mom's last trip was 2006. You know what that means, right? We're both definitely due for another mother/daughter trip.

Which brings us to.... THE MOTHER DAUGHTER DOUBLE BIRTHDAY BASH OF FEBRUARY 2009!

Coming to Walt Disney World: February 20 - 24, 2009

Updates

21 Days To Go - A Brilliant Idea and Logistics
19 Days To Go - The Plan

Day 1 - Travelling
Day 2 - My Birthday @ Epcot - Part 1
Day 2 - My Birthday @ Epcot - Part 2
Day 2 - My Birthday @ Epcot - Part 3
Day 3 - Free Day - Part 1
Day 3 - Free Day - Part 2
Day 3 - Free Day - Part 3

(1990 - Offsite) (1991 - Caribbean Beach Resort) (1994 - Caribbean Beach Resort)
(2000 - Port Orleans Riverside) (2002 - All Star Music) (2003 - All Star Movies) (2004-2005 - The Cast Member Years) (2006 - All Star Music) (2007 - MNSSHP - offsite) (2008 - March Offsite, October MNSSHP & Food and Wine Offsite) (2009 - February Free Birthday Offsite, December MVMCP Offsite) (2010 -MNSSHP Offsite) (2011 - Hanson at Food and Wine and WWOHP Offsite) (2012 - OMDD - All Star Sports) (2012 - June Disneyland Offsite and October MNSSHP and Hanson at Food and Wine All Star Sports) (2013 February - All Star Music, August - All Star Sports, September - Food and Wine - offsite)

Last edited by thadarkslayer; 07-16-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
thadarkslayer
Mouseketeer

A Brilliant Idea and Logistics

A Brilliant Idea!

When the press release came out about 2009's "Celebrate" theme, I was struck with an idea of pure genius. My birthday just happened to be on a Saturday in 2009, and if Disney was going to pay for me to go on my birthday, I could easily find a way to get myself a hop skip and a jump down to the state to my south for the weekend. The more I rolled the idea around in my head, I thought about the fact that my mom's birthday is two days after mine. I think you can probably see where this is going. The gears started working around in my head, and the initial trip plan was beginning to form. With using as little as two vacation days away from work, I could easily throw together a short several day trip to Disney, and my mom always takes the week of her birthday off anyways. If we planned accordingly, my mom and I would essentially be getting two days for the price of one seeing as how we would only have to pay for a one day ticket on the other person's birthday. I presented the idea to her sometime in December, and the double birthday bash mission was underway.

Logistics

Originally, we had big dreams to stay somewhere that we haven't stayed before like the Poly which is my dream or the Grand Floridan which is my mom's. As Christmas came and went, my step-dad got laid off, and February got ever closer. We realized that "living large" just wasn't going to happen. Essentially, we had to do it on the smallest budget possible or it wasn't going to happen at all, and that's no fun!

A lot of our plans have been modified since the idea first came about. We decided to drive instead of fly because airfare kept rising every time we looked at it. We also decided to stay off property versus on which aside from staying with my in-laws, I haven't done since 1990. I think that was one of the hardest decisions for me to make because I've always been one of those people that preaches "on property on property on property," but due to the fact that we're coming in on the tail end of President's Week, we would catch a couple of days at peak season prices which is also no fun at all.

Thankfully, our decisions to drive and stay off property are saving us quite a bit of money. Which, in turn, those decisions are also allowing us to spend a little bit more on actual fun things like food and other activities without fear of going severely over budget.

Next - The Plan

(1990 - Offsite) (1991 - Caribbean Beach Resort) (1994 - Caribbean Beach Resort)
(2000 - Port Orleans Riverside) (2002 - All Star Music) (2003 - All Star Movies) (2004-2005 - The Cast Member Years) (2006 - All Star Music) (2007 - MNSSHP - offsite) (2008 - March Offsite, October MNSSHP & Food and Wine Offsite) (2009 - February Free Birthday Offsite, December MVMCP Offsite) (2010 -MNSSHP Offsite) (2011 - Hanson at Food and Wine and WWOHP Offsite) (2012 - OMDD - All Star Sports) (2012 - June Disneyland Offsite and October MNSSHP and Hanson at Food and Wine All Star Sports) (2013 February - All Star Music, August - All Star Sports, September - Food and Wine - offsite)

Last edited by thadarkslayer; 02-01-2009 at 10:00 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
thadarkslayer
Mouseketeer

The Plan

February 20 -
My mom is off, and I'm working a half day on the Friday that we leave. I'll get off at 11am, and will meet my mom at my house to change and load up the car. Roughly around seven hours later, we'll find ourselves in the Orlando area, and checking into The Palms.

While I would LOVE to start with the fun stuff straight away and go to Downtown Disney or something, due to the fact that I will have been up since 5:45 am, worked 4 hours, and will have driven 7 hours after that, I figure grabbing a quick dinner near the hotel and having an early night in will probably be the best for us. This quiet night will also put us in better shape for an early rise the next day for rope drop at Epcot. Which brings us to...

February 21 -
My BIRTHDAY! We're going to have a quick breakfast at the hotel, and head over to Epcot. I'll have to pick up my birthday ticket, and birthday buttons for both of us. We're planning to be there all day with a relatively relaxed pace. It's going to be all CS meals for us this day. I know I definitely want lunch at Sunshine Seasons because it's one of my favorite CS places in the World, and wherever we find ourselves hungry that evening, we'll have dinner.

My mom's one request for this trip was that we stop for plenty of rests, and that I don't have her running around like crazy because I tend to be a "go go go" kind of person when it comes to the parks. So, due to the fact that it's a looong walk back and forth from World Showcase to Future World, I'd like to have everything we want to do in Future World done by the time we head back to World Showcase. World Showcase is my favorite part anyways, and I'm excessively excited to try the new Kim Possible attraction because I LOVE Kim Possible.

February 22 -
This is our "whatever we want" free day. I somehow have managed to never have had Tonga Toast before, so we're going to head to the Poly to Captain Cook's for some. I've been drooling at pictures of something I've never even tasted for a few weeks now. We'll do a little resort hopping/shop browsing/monorail riding after breakfast, and then head over to Downtown Disney for some browsing and thrifty spending (I need new antenna toppers).

I'm kind of torn about what to do for lunch. My mom has always wanted to try Bongo's at DTD, but I've been really wanting to try these burgers at Beaches and Cream that everyone has been raving about. Lunch will be up for discussion, and will also depend on if we feel like going over to the Yacht and Beach Club because we'll already be at DTD. Also, if we have enough time that afternoon, I've got some passes for mini golf that I've managed to never use.

Dinner will be at Tony Roma's because we LOVE their ribs, and we don't have one in Atlanta. After dinner, we're heading back to the Poly for some beach view Wishes.

February 23 -
MOM'S BIRTHDAY! We're having a quick hotel breakfast again before heading to the Magic Kingdom. We're going to do essentially the same thing with the MK that we did with Epcot. We'll be there all day with lots of rests throughout the day.

I did manage to get us into Tony's at 1:25 for lunch. I know Tony's isn't on everyone's favorite list, but I've enjoyed it the two times I've had it.

We're going to do Casey's for dinner, and I have to make room for a Dole Whip sometime during the day. It's very important.

February 24 -
Leaving day... and back to reality. We're having breakfast at the hotel once again. We'll take our time packing the car, and heading back to Georgia. Mom's off for the rest of the week, but I have to be at work the next day. Oh well, I'll find my way back sometime before the end of the year. I always do.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
thadarkslayer
Mouseketeer

Finally and Travelling!

FINALLY!

Ok, so, I got a bit distracted upon my return to the "real world". I did post a bit about my trip in my own personal blog at least, but the trip report kind of got lost along the way. That's ok! I'm back! A little later is better than never, right? Besides, is there any better way to relive my trip other than telling all of you about it? I didn't think so. Without any further ado...

February 20 - Travel Day

I went in to work from 7-11. Somehow, it sounded better in my head to only use a half a day of vacation the day we were traveling. It was a little crazy that morning, and no matter how much I tried to finish up and clean my desk off before I left, it just didn't happen. My fellow trainers got me the cutest little basket for my birthday. It was done like a flower bouquet, but it was made out of chocolate. Additionally, they signed my card with an awesome metallic silver Sharpie that I MEANT to bring with me for character autographs, but I forgot. DOH!

Anywho, my mom met me at my house a little after 11, and I proceeded to change out of my scrubs and pack up the last few things that I had used that morning. I was lovey dovey with Martina for a few, and then my mom and I were off. We only got a few miles across town because we had to stop at her work because one of her coworkers had birthday stuff for us. I FINALLY got the Mmmbop music card. (I'm a HUGE hanson fan) It only took me a few years to get, but I'm glad someone was finally able to find it. I was so excited about it. My mom got a Mickey Mouse Club music card that fit the situation very well as well as a basket FULL of all sorts of goodies for our trip. (Snacks, Water, Gum, Chapstick, Aspirin, Sunscreen, Trail Mix, etc. etc.)

We had lunch at a Wendy's in McDonough, and then I got a text from Martina that made me a little crazy, but not too crazy. You see, I had made a Kim Possible t shirt on Zazzle that I had intended to wear on my birthday at Epcot just in time to try the new Kim Possible attraction there. I watched the tracking information on it EVERY DAY that week knowing that I would cut it VERY close. I wasn't sure if I would get it before I actually left. Needless to say, it showed up at my door a half an hour after we left. How much does that suck? A lot... but oh well.

So, then we were on the road! The drive from Georgia to Central Florida is not a very exciting one, and I usually end up doing it through the night. It's really kind of strange to see that particular stretch of road in the day light. We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful driving day. We were listening to a little "Natasha Beddingfield - Pocket Full of Sunshine" when my mom noticed the car that she had been behind for a very long time get over into the center lane all of a sudden. Next thing we know, we see a large black SUV coming up behind us very quickly. So, she proceeds to get over thinking that was why the car in front of us had also gotten over. That was the exact moment the police lights on the SUV came on. CRAP! Apparently, he was on the overpass and had clocked her going 17 over the speed limit. So, that was the second great thing to happen so far on our trip. The best part about the whole thing however, was the fact that we had taken Mike, my step-dad's Accord because it has better gas mileage, and mom accidentally turned the windshield wipers on when she pulled over, and she couldn't get them to turn off the entire time she was talking to the cop. Oops...LoL

Mom had me drive once it started to get dark, and we hit the Orlando area a little after 8 pm. I-4 welcomed me back with traffic, traffic, and more traffic just like I remembered when I used to drive it every day. I have a love/hate/mostly hate relationship with I-4. We made it to the hotel, and I checked us into our room. We ended up at the Orlando Vista Hotel off of 535 just outside of the DTD gate. We were very pleased with our room, and considering I didn't pay a whole lot, this was a great relief. We unpacked and got settled into the room, and then made our way across the street to the Crossroads shopping center for a Quiznos dinner. We popped into Gooding's for a few things (read: COFFEE), and then headed back to the hotel to rest for the rest of the evening.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
thadarkslayer
Mouseketeer

February 21 - Part 1 - Epcot and My 24th Birthday!

We woke up at the lovely hour of 7am, and got ready to start our first Disney day. We made it to Epcot somewhere around 8:45, and I was all sorts of excited! It was a chilly morning, and I was wearing the Disney hoodie I had gotten back in October. It was rather handy. Of course I didn't even make it across the parking lot before I started taking pictures because I'm OBSESSED. I got my FREE birthday ticket (...yes...Disney actually paid for me to go...how awesome is that?), and got my "Happy Birthday Ashley" button which I immediately put on. We entered the park right as it opened at 9. We ran into Chip and Dale as we came in, and they totally fought over me. In fact, Chip tried to drag me away by himself. They even wrote "Happy Birthday" in my autograph book. It was a great way to start the day.

We headed over to The Land pavilion, and I saw this sign on the way...

I squeed a little, and had to take a picture. We got fastpasses for Soarin' for later, and waited about 20 minutes standby to ride it right then. I LOVE Soarin'. I think it's probably my favorite Epcot attraction.

We rode "Living With The Land" next, and I think Martina's love for that attraction has rubbed off on me.

Where else can you see Cinderella pumpkins? Really?

We headed over to Spaceship Earth next, and it was Mom's first time riding it since the latest refurb. I LOVE the refurb. I especially love the part where they put you in the attraction.

I did a single rider ride on Test Track by myself, and I think I love it more and more each time I ride it. We headed back over to use our fastpasses for the second Soarin' ride of the day.

While we were in The Land pavilion, we decided we wanted lunch at Sunshine Seasons.

Sunshine Seasons is probably one of my my favorite counter services places in all of the World. We shared a grilled chicken Caesar salad that I forgot to take a picture of. It was really tasty, and we both ate for under $10. That's hard to beat on property.

By the time we were finished with lunch, it had warmed up, and turned into a beautiful day.

We made our way out into the World Showcase. There were signs everywhere telling us to "Celebrate Today!" Pshaw Disney! It's my birthday, and I'm DEFINITELY celebrating by being here. You didn't have to tell me twice!

Next up - Speaking of World Showcase...how was it? Find out in the next installment of....The Mother Daughter Double Birthday Bash of February 2009!

Last edited by thadarkslayer; 06-17-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
thadarkslayer
Mouseketeer

February 21 - Part 2 - Epcot and My 24th Birthday!

First up...MEXICO!

We didn't spend much time here because I had heard that the Kim Possible mission in Mexico featured Drakken and Shego. I had planned to request that particular mission, and I figured we would spend more time in Mexico later.

Next up is my original favorite, NORWAY. I've been obsessed with Scandinavia since Sweden came into my life in 1994 with Ace of Base. I was known as the crazy "Swedish" girl in high school, and it's been going strong ever since. I've got this crazy tradition I've had for the last nine years, where I take pictures with the Norwegian cast members. I always try to find the cutest ones. Although sometimes that's kind of hit or miss with that aspect. I did have one girl that remembered me six months later. She's been my only repeat photo thus far. This time, I got a nice girl named Helen, but my face looks kind of wonky. Oh well, you win some and you lose some.

My other goal while in Norway was to try "Schoolbread" for the first time. Folks here on the boards seem to RAVE about how good it is, and I had to try it for myself.

Mom and I found a nice quiet little table with a nice view and had a brief rest while sharing our Schoolbread. It DEFINITELY passed the test. It was delicious. It's almost like a donut. It's got some sort of cream inside, with frosting and toasted coconut on top. I would get one again for sure.

Next, was CHINA!

I met Mulan and Mushu in China, and surprisingly, they're characters I've never met before. I had an interesting conversation with them on Mushu eating all of my birthday cake and him growing up to be Godzilla sized one day. It was most amusing. I also got a "Happy Birthday" from them in my autograph book.

Next, is GERMANY...the home of the one and only Snow White...

She totally WAS Snow White. I swear! It was crazy. I was kind of worried she would say something about my "Wicked Queen" bag, but I guess she didn't see it. What would I have said anyways? "Oh, sorry Snow! I like your EVIL Stepmother better?" Awwwwwkward!

We headed into Italy next, but only for a minute to pick up my KIMMUNICATOR!

Oh hello Shego! Nice to see you!

We proceeded to stop Drakken and Shego from launching some sort of rocket from the pyramid in Mexico. It was kind of cool, but I've heard the other missions are more exciting. I only wanted Mexico for the green villainess anyways.

We spotted Donald on our way out of Mexico, and had to stop to say hi.

Back to ITALY...for real this time...

We putted around a little bit, and I looked for new Italia stuff for Martina and myself. There was a sexy pair of Puma sneakers that I was really tempted to buy. However, I figured I could find them cheaper online than at Disney World. Needless to say, I didn't get them, and they didn't have anything that I really liked or didn't already have.

Next up...JAPAN!

There were A LOT of birds in Japan. We watched a little drumming, and I bought Martina some really pretty chopsticks.

Next up...MOROCCO!

It was Mo-rockin'...ok ok, that was lame, but you know there's that show called "Mo-rockin" and it has a belly dancer that I SWEAR looks like a brunette version of Lisa Kudrow from Friends. She's been there for YEARS. If you've seen the show, YOU KNOW WHO I'M TALKING ABOUT. Weird, I know.

I should also mention Morocco is FULL of photo ops. I think it's one of the most visually appealing out of all of the pavilions.

We skipped through France for the time being because we were having dinner there, and I knew we would be seeing more of it later.

Next up...ENGLAND!

I got to take this AWESOME picture of me with some Kim Possible cast members. They were all really good sports, and came up with excellent "super spy" poses on the fly.

I actually think it's one of my favorite photos from the entire trip. It just says "FUN!" to me, and that's everything that Disney is supposed to be.

We also ran into Mary Poppins along the way. I wondered if her accent was real. Everyone else in the pavilion was really British. So, why wouldn't she be?

Next up...my other obsession...CANADA!

I've only been to the real thing once when I was three, but It's freaking Degrassi's fault for my more recent fascination with my neighbors to the north. I have this hard core fascination with the fact that it's so similar, but so different at the same time. Besides, it's a proven fact that Canadians are super hot, and the accent makes me melt like whoa.

We sat in front of the waterfall from the previous picture for a little while, and I bought a t shirt from a nice Canadian girl that was very chatty.

We headed back over to England and sat some more in a little garden on the back side of the pavilion. We were extremely tired, and ready for dinner.

Next Up - Fraaaance har har and dinner!

Last edited by thadarkslayer; 06-22-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
thadarkslayer
Mouseketeer

February 21 - Part 3 - Epcot and My 24th Birthday!

February 21 - Part 3 - Epcot and My 24th Birthday!

Finally, we got back to FRANCE...

And look who we found there...

I actually don't really care for Princess Aurora at all. I think if I had to pick a princes, I would choose Belle or Ariel.

Anywho, as I said before, we were both so friggin' tired by this point, and we had a little over an hour until our dinner reservation.

Speaking of reservations, obviously I changed my mind about our dining choices between the time I wrote the pre-trip and the actual trip. Luckily enough, I got a bonus at work, which I decided to use for some splurging on dining while at Disney. Anywho, back to the story...

We watched the film about France, and while it's really pretty, it made me ridiculously sleepy. We came back out and sat on bench overlooking the International Gateway until it was time for our reservation.

We went to "Les Chefs de France", and had the sweetest waiter named Quintin. He came over and asked us if we had any questions about the menu, and when I told him we still had the lunch menus on our table, he got all flustered and embarassed. It was très cute. Mom ordered the "French Menu" which included Soupe a l'oignon gratinee, Demi poulet fermier a la broche pommes puree au basilic et tomate braisee, and Creme brulee aka onion soup, Half of a farm raised rotisserie chicken, basil-flavored mashed potatoes, braised tomato, and baked vanilla cream with a madeleine.

I ordered the Filet de boeuf grille, sauce au poivre noir Gratin Dauphinois et haricots verts aka grilled tenderloin of beef with black pepper sauce, original potato gratin of Savoy and green beans.

Let me start out by saying I've REALLY been craving French Onion Soup since we've been back, and my potatoes were some of the best I've ever had. I always seem to get really good potatoes at Disney. The mashed potatoes at the Kona Cafe were the best I've ever EVER had.

I tried to be all discreet about my plate photography, but in the meantime that also meant I had a shaky hand in low light conditions which ended up with rather sucky plate pictures.

They sang happy birthday to me in French when they came out with our creme brulee. It even had a little candle in it.

Granted, I didn't think to take a picture of it before we ate it, but you can see the empty dish on the table below. LoL

All in all, it was an excellent meal. I bought my mom's dinner as well as my own and I think I can honestly say, it was the most expensive meal I've personally paid for. So, it better have been good. LoL

Mom was really tired, and as much as I hate it, we didn't stay for Illuminations. She had a point in that I've seen it SO many times, but still, it wasn't quite the same without seeing it.

We leisurely made our way out of the park, and I snapped some pictures along the way.

>

I had a fantastic 24th birthday.

To be continued.... my first time trying Tonga Toast...

Old 06-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
dd50
DIS Veteran

Great TR so far.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
thadarkslayer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd50 View Post
Great TR so far.
Glad to see you enjoyed it. You are my first reader afterall.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
thadarkslayer
Mouseketeer

February 22 - Part 1

February 22 - Part 1

We slept in a bit on Sunday morning. When I say "sleep in" I actually mean until 8:30ish. The day was supposed to be our "play it by ear" day. I had a few things that I definitely wanted to do, but other than those few things, the rest of the day was completely open. We got ready and dragged ourselves out of the room around 9:30 or so.

First order of business - head to the Polynesian!

My first "must do" for the day was to finally try "Tonga Toast" which you can get at the Polynesian. I didn't feel like making a reservation for the Kona Cafe or anything because I didn't know what time we would be getting up, Conveniently enough, you can also get Tonga Toast from Captain Cook's as well.

I ordered the tonga toast and a coffee for myself while mom got the kid's french toast sticks and coffee. While we were waiting for our food to be ready, we got our coffee. Sure, adding sweetener and creamer sounds fine and dandy if your table doesn't wobble. Our table wobbled, and I'm the world's biggest klutz. Needless to say, I spilled like half of our first coffees all over the table. It took a HUGE stack of napkins to clean it up. Oops...

My mom actually suggested that I take a photo of the aftermath of the cleanup. She said "it's just SO you..." Thanks, Mom!

Obviously, that's my Tonga Toast first. You guys know what french toast sticks look like. I honestly can't believe it's taken me this long to try Tonga Toast. It was DIVINE! It's a piece of sourdough bread with fresh banana slices inside. They fry that, and then roll it in cinnamon sugar. I cannot tell you how good it really was. Basically, Tonga Toast is the stuuuuff. I will definitely make my way to the Poly for breakfast more often.

As we made our way out of Captain Cook's, we heard the plink plink of air hockey down the hall. Mom and I both love air hockey, and we challenged one another to a game.

I won. =)

We took some photobooth photos, played a few more games, and headed to the shops. After we poked around the Poly's shops for a little while, we hopped the monorail over to the Grand Floridian. The last time we were at the Grand Floridian, it was Christmas of 2007, and it was crazy busy. Sunday seemed to be a very slow morning. There was hardly anyone in the lobby. We poked around their shops for a while, and I bought a really pretty silver charm of Cinderella's Castle.

To be continued...more Grand Floridian goodness...

Old 07-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #11
dd50
DIS Veteran

Haven't tried the Tonga Toast yet and don't know if I will have time but it sure sounds good.

It is always nice to have a nothing planned day. I love those because we do things but it isn't rushing all over to get every thing done.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:21 AM   #12
thadarkslayer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd50 View Post
Haven't tried the Tonga Toast yet and don't know if I will have time but it sure sounds good.

It is always nice to have a nothing planned day. I love those because we do things but it isn't rushing all over to get every thing done.
If you get the time, you should definitely give it a shot. I honestly have no clue how I went so long without ever trying it. It was THAT good.

I'm such a crazy go-go-go gotta fit everything in kind of person that every now and then, I really need those nothing planned sort of days to regroup.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #13
thadarkslayer
Mouseketeer

February 22 - Part 2

February 22 - Part 2

We headed outside to the pool/beach area at the Grand Floridian. The weather forecast had said Sunday was going to be very overcast, but when we walked outside, we realized the day was BEAUTIFUL! I spent a little while walking the beach while mom found a chair and umbrella by the pool. I eventually joined her, and we were just chill for a while. I'm not usually the kind of person that can do "chill" because I'm always "go go go!, but it was just SO nice to sit there in the sun with the palm trees and water all around. Maybe it was my inner Pisces coming out or palm trees really do have a calming effect on me.

Our chill time was wonderful, but we eventually got a bit warm because we weren't prepared for full blown sunny warm day. I was in a dark grey tshirt and jeans which just wasn't going to cut it. We hopped back on the monorail to make our way back to the Poly to pick up the car.

Once we got to the car, we headed back to the room so I could mow my legs and put on shorts. I cut the crap out of my leg, but once it stopped bleeding, we were off to Downtown Disney. What's a vacation without a little blood, right?

We went to Bongo's for a late lunch. Bongo's is another one of those Disney things that I've surprisingly never tried. This was Mom's "must do" for the day as she's always wanted to eat at the "Gloria Estefan Restaurant" as she calls it. We had an awesome table out on the patio with a great view of the lake. It was another one of those "chill" moments that I really enjoyed. Again, water and tropical plants really get to me.

We both got Cuban sandwiches. I actually didn't take a picture of our lunch. Surprise surprise! They were REALLY good, and I was pleased that our food selections were going so well this trip. While enjoying our lunch, we noticed we had a few visitors out on the patio.

There were two squirrels that kept stealing fallen rice and french fries.

After lunch, we headed over to the Marketplace area of Downtown Disney. I was game for a little shopping. I needed a 2009 Christmas ornament, and a new antenna topper for my Jeep. I tend to have the "problem" that due to the fact that I go to Disney several times a year, the merchandise doesn't really change from trip to trip. I ended up picking up a few things.

Arrrg..a little pirate action outside the World of Disney store...

I also realize this was the only photo of me the entire day. Weird, and good GOD my legs were pale. I really needed more sunlight.

To be continued... Goofy's Candy Company, Riiiibs, and Paparazzi Fireworks!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
thadarkslayer
Mouseketeer

February 22 - Part 3

February 22 - Part 3

Anywho, I also wanted to go to Goofy's Candy Company for some chocolate dipped marshmallows. While chocolate dipped marshmallows sound good on their own, what I really wanted was the Mickey straw you get them on. Yes, I'm aware it's kind of odd, but that's nothing new for me.

After our shopping excursion, and walking all across Downtown Disney, we headed back to the room for an afternoon rest. I did some calculating of how much we had spent so far, and watched tv while Mom took a nap.

We cleaned up, and headed out to Tony Roma's a little after 6. We don't have a Tony Roma's in Atlanta, and I've only been to the ones in Savannah and the one we were going to on International Drive. I LOVE Tony Roma's. Their ribs are awesome.

A little rib action...

Originally, I had wanted to go to the Boardwalk or the Poly beach to watch some fireworks, but Mom said that if I wanted her to get up early the next day, going back to the room for an early night was probably the best idea. I was down with that because I was actually pretty tired myself, and I wanted to go have my dipped marshmallows for dessert.

I found out that we could actually see the fireworks from the Magic Kingdom from the window in our room. Granted, they were a few miles away, and over the tree tops, but still...DISNEY FIREWORKS = YAY!

That's my super sketchy stalker-y paparazzi style shaky picture of the fireworks from miles away. Cool, huh? Yea, I know it's pretty much terrible, but I wasn't on property, so anything was good for me.

I watched nearly all of the Oscars, and was pleased that my girl Kate Winslet won. I talked with Martina a few minutes, and I proceeded to pass out about 11.

Coming up next...Brazilian Tour Groups, The Magic Kingdom, and poor firework planning (uh oh!)

Old 08-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #15
JeffGoldblum
Mouseketeer

I hope you finish this, it's a great read! I love Kim Possible too. Every year I get a pic with Kim and Ron over at MGM. I always ask about Rufus but he's always out of town....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: