Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2009, 06:28 AM   #181
DisDancerina
Twitterpatted In The Spring!
I NEED HELP!! I have no clue what I'm doing

Glad you're back

Now you know how I feel I've been in a hotel for more than 40 days; I kind of made it my own.
I'm so excited to hear how your trip was and see some pictures! I live vicariously through you guys that go to Disneyland.
Future Disneyland CP Cast Member: Photopass Photographer for SA 2015!
DisDancerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #182
Sarah84
DIS Veteran

Glad you had a great trip and look forward to reading all about it
April 2012: Disney World wedding & Mexico honeymoon
March 2013: Disneyland Paris July 2013: Las Vegas Jan 2014: Disney World & Disney cruise on The Magic
Sarah84 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #183
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training
Makes a mean Monte Cristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by l’amore bella View Post
I know I'm a little late, but happy anniversary! I'm looking forward to reading more.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLR29 View Post
I'm in. Can't wait for an amazing report when you get back! My family is also Worldmark owners, but we've never stayed in the Anaheim one (stayed in Orlando and actually Solvang this past March).
We've stayed in Orlando too (for our honeymoon)! My IL's just got a bunch more credits too and keep reminding my DH that its totally transferable to him someday. Of course, his brother will also have the credits available to him. I think the resorts are nice - but the elevators at Anaheim were awful!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Count me in too!! I can't wait for the DLR rundown. The whole Solvang/Santa Barbara area is normally gorgeous this time of year, and I wonder if you all got caught in some of the freak rain and thunderstorms we had in SoCal this past week, or if it rained up near Solvang as well. It was gloomy for a good portion of the week (which I love temperature-wise, but it is not great for photographs).
It was really pretty - but I don't think I went with the right people. DH isn't much for quiant dutch towns and while walking, wine tasting, biking and unique restaurants are popular things to do - my ILs didn't wish to, or couldn't do those things. We tried to make the best of it though. It did rain a lot late Thursday until Friday afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabbermouth View Post
Hi! Glad you made it home safe and had a fun trip. Didn't realize you were going to be gone for so many days! That's a lot of different hotels, but at least we know one of them was nice, right? Can't wait to hear all about it.
Oh yes, one VERY VERY nice hotel that DH and I talked about the entire trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDancerina View Post
Glad you're back

Now you know how I feel I've been in a hotel for more than 40 days; I kind of made it my own.
I'm so excited to hear how your trip was and see some pictures! I live vicariously through you guys that go to Disneyland.
40 days????! Wow! Just wait until you're at home and you try pick up your phone for room service or wonder why someone didn't come make your bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah84 View Post
Glad you had a great trip and look forward to reading all about it
Thanks!! I look forward to sharing it!
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston
hurleysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #184
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

Okay - so trip report will take longer than expected. DSis leaves for Uganda tomorrow so no working on it tonight! And then I have a deadline to meet tomorrow. Hopefully we'll have something Wednesday.

I'm an impatient person, so I treat others as such, haha. Hence the "notice."
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston
Old 06-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #185
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

OOOH man guys - I'm sorry. I really haven't done well on this trip report. I apologize! I will start - I promise...

I have a really really good excuse though - DH and I have spent the past 3-4 days trying to figure out if we'll *gasp* do free dining at WDW this year?!!! I know, its crazy. After everything we've already done this year and the plans for future AP disneyland trips. But 1) we love food just so gosh darn much that FREE and DISNEY and FOOD is just too amazing to pass up and 2) Disneyworld is still our favorite with 4 different parks, sorry Disneyland and 3)TSM has FP in WDW. But then the negatives, 1)WDW, you are way too far away and airfare is always the deal breaker and 2)why spend money on WDW when we have APs for disneyland? that just seems unwise and 3)I think there might be such a thing as too much Disney in one year and I don't want to burn out DH and 4)the money could be put to better use.

No final decision has been made yet. DH still claims he is 50/50. And after we decide and all emotions, happy or sad, will be put aside to tell of this amazing trip we had.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:38 AM   #186
blabbermouth
DIS Veteran

Pace yourselves now!! Haha. Hope to read your TR soon!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #187
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

Yay! We love the gch!!!!

So here we go!!!

We left right on time this trip - 6 AM. Made our now usual stop at the gas station to fill up and check the tires for air and such - and then we were on our way! We then made our now usual stop at Chic-fil-A for breakfast around 6:45 and then made another stop around 9 for some much needed coffee for DH, and of course, I got some too!

We arrived at the beautiful, the extravagant, the infamous Grand Californian Hotel around 11:30. Knowing that they were probably running at full capacity (found out later they were actually sold out that night), I highly doubted that we would be able to check-in. Fortunatley, I knew that we could easily change into our swimsuits and hit the pool until our room was ready while they took care of our bags. Well, that idea fell through once we reached the outskirts of Anaheim. It was gray and foggy. Actually...it was gray and foggy about 100 miles out of Anaheim as well - check out my super fab photography skills as I pass the time taking pictures from the road:

and the super creepy palm trees that come before this - I think they are around the border line between AZ/CA.

So we pull up the car to the front entrance. DH is still a little confused when he does this - he's always worried they'll charge us for valet, so I have to remind him that this is how you check in and its not like they'll take our bags unless we ask them too - so we don't have to tip them for something we can do ourselves :-)

We go to check in and we're both pretty excited about everything. Even though we'd seen the hotel before, we really looked like 2 little kids in an ice cream factory waiting for the all you can eat portion of the tour to begin! We got in line, still wide-eyed, and me hopeful for a room to be ready. There was a guy who had a customer leave, so we assumed we'd go to him next but he was busy doing something on the computer. Then he called us over. He was super nice and asked if it was our first time staying here to which we eagerly replied a resounding, "Yes!" He told us we were in a king bedroom with a pull-out couch, and we were like, "Wow, that is great, king bed is awesome. Sure, we'll take that." He gave us all the info we needed and then showed us where our room was on a map. He circled the room we were going to be in, which at the time I didn't really understand where it was, other then it was a corner and looked a little bigger - I assumed that was because it was a king size bed? I didn't know much about the hotel rooms, other then they had beds. He also informed us that our room was right in this main lobby area, which made me happy. He then said he had something special for us and I got all excited, and then we pulled out anniversary buttons. Aww, thanks, but you got me all excited and I already knew about anniversary buttons. I pretended to be surprised. And then he asked us to turn around....

And there was a CM standing there with baloons telling us we were chosen as the celebration family of the day! She grabbed her counterpart CM, and they gave us each balloons and a certificate and then wished us a Happy Anniversary. They then asked us what we knew, and we said that we knew we were the celebration family. And they said, "And, you've been upgraded to a pool/theme park view and a suite." They then told us they wanted to give an announcement to the hotel, and if we were okay with that. Well...OF COURSE!! They snapped a picture of us and then announced that we were celebrating one year. Then everyone clapped! It was sooo awesome! Here is the pic:

We were so happy and so joyful. We couldn't believe it!!! So naturally, we had to go see our awesome room. And off we went, skipping along to find our room, when we set our eyes on the room number next to these double doors! DOUBLE DOORS? Oh my - I was so gitty here, I made DH take a pic.

And then we went into our room and...

You'll have to wait til next time - off to the gym!!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #188
Desert Dwellers
Mouseketeer

D'oh. A cliffhanger! I can't wait to see inside the room. What a wonderful surprise for you two.
Desert Dwellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:56 AM   #189
blabbermouth
DIS Veteran

Great first post. That's sooooo exciting, how lucky. Can't wait to see the room. Double doors - I'm impressed already.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:13 AM   #190
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

Okay - here is the rest of Day 1! Well...my surprise dinner will be a whole separate one probably!

So first of all, I had only seen the pool from walking by it on our previous visit. So after setting down my stuff I headed straight outside to see our view. Perfect...but gray -

And this is what we could see of the park - I think I have better pics of this somewhere...

And this was the view from the 2nd balcony (yes, 2nd!)

And some more construction villa pics:

And now...the suite!!! It was so awesome to walk into this for the 30 something hours we were there!

You can see the main balcony outside the doors here

Back out the hallway

Entrance to the bedroom

The bedroom itself - the best bed I've ever slept on

And the bathroom

Two sinks - score!! We don't have this at our house and it made me so happy to have it, even for just one night.

And the lovely robes, we didn't use them. But they were so soft! And you could have bought some to take home with you too - I'm sure they were uber expensive though!

Pretty photo in the hallway

I also took some pictures at night too, but those will come later.

So the hotel was amazing and everything about is amazing as well! Perfect for a romantic quiet time or a family fun filled stay. I know the infamous question on the board is, "Is it worth it?" I will answer with a resounding "YES" followed by a marching band and trumpets and a giant Mickey float complete with lasers and fireworks. BUT, I will warn everyone out there. DO NOT stay at the GCH unless you can afford to stay there again at some point. Its not worth any hotel or experience to break the budget. We got a great rate and celebrated a fantastic day and were lucky enough to get a special room upgrade too. We hope to stay here again and know that nothing compares to it. And we now completely understand the magic that comes when staying at a on-property resort - and seriously, who can beat a special entrance into the park?? Fantastically amazing.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:17 AM   #191
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

YAY! That's so awesome that you got a room upgrade!
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #192
Sarah84
DIS Veteran

YAY you started your trippie
What a great start apart from the grey skys but congratulations on the upgrade, how fantastic
Look forward to reading more
April 2012: Disney World wedding & Mexico honeymoon
March 2013: Disneyland Paris July 2013: Las Vegas Jan 2014: Disney World & Disney cruise on The Magic
Sarah84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #193
blabbermouth
DIS Veteran

Uh oh... is it too late to change my reservation over from HOJO? lol. No, we won't be doing that, we're still doing a budget trip, but that room is amazing! Too bad it was only one night.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:42 AM   #194
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

Okay - so here is the rest of day 1. I hereby deem myself "Thee Slowest TR writer ever!"

Now, on with the show.

Well after we admired our room and walked about the hotel, we of course headed into DCA, since it was RIGHT THERE. I mean it is literally outside your room. And since our room was right in the lobby area corridor, we went to an elevator and walked outside. It was awesome and amazing and so special!

Ooh, and here is the exercise room I snapped a pic of on the way out:

So onto DCA which means, CONSTRUCTION pics. I know you're excited. Seriously, contain yourself.

You can actually see the "tiered" seating area being built. Kinda cool looking! Disney is building something that will work for crowds, they hope!

And then *gasp* the walls went up for Little Mermaid. Sad news, they don't come down til 2011! Thats sooo far away!

Also, they took down walls on one side of this passageway here, and put them up on the other. From what I remember, the buildings look the same..

And then - the toy story. Yes, it deserves a "the."

And my pretty good score:

Around this time, we agreed we needed to head back to the hotel to get ready for dinner. All I knew was dinner was at 6:30.......I love surprises!

Right before we left for dinner, we snapped this picture on our balcony. We were both so happy. While our actual anniversary wasn't until the next day, it felt like it was that night.

So we left our room at about 6:15. I still didn't want DH to tell me where we were going - just lead me there. By now I figured he would know where to find any place in the DLR area.

We walk down to the lobby and head toward the DCA entrance when he asks, "Wait...how do we get to DTD from the hotel?"

And then...

And another cliffhanger - sorry, I need sleep!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #195
whimsy87
Earning My Ears

OH! Another cliffhanger! It sounds like you guys had an AMAZING start to your trip. Congratulations on your anniversary and being the celebration family of the day! I can't wait to read more.
whimsy87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: