Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
PHILCT
DIS Veteran

Cool I got my Southwest Ticket Reduced 3 times now !

Hi Everyone

I am aware of the fact that on Southwest you can change your online booking reservation to the same plane, same dates, when the prices go down, and get a VOUCHER credit for the difference. It is so easy surprisingly, it just happens that way when you enter the CHANGE Reservation process with no actual changes made to other flights, dates. It takes about 2 minutes, it is so quick. It will tell you exactly what the price savings will before commiting to the transaction. Thank you Southwest !

When I originally booked my May flight at the end of December 2008, I was fearful I would get higher airline prices later in 2009, so I just took what was a fair price. But since then the prices have gone both up and down. I eagerly changed online my Southwest reservation for the exact same flights and dates each time they opened up a few seats at the lower price. I did this three times, for a savings VOUCHER credit of $120, which I will use also this year on another trip.

So keep checking the flights every day to see if you deserve a credit of some type.

Note to DELTA if you read these boards:

I originally chose Southwest over Delta, because at that time Delta chose to not offer a decent price for a flight many months later, where as Southwest was much fairer. Soon afterwards, Delta went way down on their prices, and then way up again, and recently way down again. My recommendation to Delta, if you want someone to book your airline farther in advance, offer a "FAIRER" price sooner. The early bird should get the worm, not just the later booking birds.

I do wish I was flying on Delta for the Disney Magic Express Luggage Disney Resort Handling they offer out of Orlando for the return home, where as Southwest doesn't have the capability at this time to participate in the Disney Magic Express tagged Luggage program returning out of Orlando. But in the end, price really matters in these economically difficult times.

You lost this trip's business from me just because you offered initally overpriced fares. I sometimes choose my airline based on the INITIAL first decent price, not the price that may or may not happen in the last 8 weeks before a trip based on your speculative database profiles.

I wish you were as competitve at the 5th and 6th month booking window sometimes.

Phil

Last edited by PHILCT; 03-05-2009 at 09:11 PM.
PHILCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
LuvsEpcot
Mouseketeer

Me Too! :thumbsup2

I've changed our tickets two times now and have $71.60 credit. It pays to check every day
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

>>> the early red bird should get the red worm

Delta and most other airlines nowadays disagree. They would rather have fewer non-changeable early bookings compared with lots of early bookings that they would price match later.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

hope springs eternal

even my flight leaving MCO on 7/5 got a flight reduction today

$20 pp X 3

& it's still $500 one way ; yet some luv is better than nothing

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
BrerMama
DIS Veteran

Our flights went down and now we have a $250 credit. That's the price of one ticket for us. However, now I have to come up with some reason to fly somewhere by January of next year....
May/June 2007 Port Orleans Riverside
May/June 2004 Port Orleans Riverside
December 2000 Walt Disney World Offsite
BrerMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
vossjemi
I LUV 2 Travel!!!

If it went down for the exact same flight and you didn't change anything, call their cust service # on website (not 800 #) and ask for a cc refund. I found out via a post here they would refund if there were no changes to the schedule; just price. I called & they refunded my cc instead of having to take TTF credit.
vossjemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vossjemi View Post
If it went down for the exact same flight and you didn't change anything, call their cust service # on website (not 800 #) and ask for a cc refund. I found out via a post here they would refund if there were no changes to the schedule; just price. I called & they refunded my cc instead of having to take TTF credit.
i've asked several times for the credit & have always been told the same thing...

if you originally book a 'non-refundable' fare, i.e. a 'get away fare', etc., even if the rate drops via a non-DING price adjustment they will only offer a credit

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
Poprivet
Mouseketeer

I also have changed my flights, 5 times now. My price hasn't gone down but I've switched to better times on the same day so I went from returning from Disney at 7:00am flight to a 3:50pm flight. Now that last day I dont have to get up at 3:00am to make the 7:00am flight home....

Great feature of south west.

I'm still looking at the flights down for a better time.

Pop
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
uva185
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILCT View Post
Hi
My recommendation to Delta, if you want someone to book your airline farther in advance, offer a "FAIRER" price sooner. The early bird should get the worm, not just the later booking birds........

You lost this trip's business from me just because you offered initally overpriced fares. I sometimes choose my airline based on the INITIAL first decent price, not the price that may or may not happen in the last 8 weeks before a trip based on your speculative database profiles.

I wish you were as competitve at the 5th and 6th month booking window sometimes.

Phil
Umm, wow. Why would Delta want you to book earlier if they had to give you a refund when the price dropped? That only complicates revenue management and is costly for the airline.

I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate what you consider a fair price is below cost. The airlines are not out to make everything fair and assist those who plan early. Their goal is to make a profit. If Delta thinks it can make a profit by charging a re-fare/change fee and Southwest can charge a profit without the fee so be it.

It seems you realize fares drop about 8 weeks before departure so if price is such a concern why do you lock yourself into Southwest instead of waiting until 8 weeks before your trip when you can choose the lowest price that any airline offers, not just Southwest.
March, 2005 - Grand Floridian
April, 2006 - Grand Floridian
January, 2007 - Grand Floridian

"The stars will wheel forth from their daytime hiding places, and one of those lights is slightly brighter than the rest. It will be my wingtip, passing over."

My Travel Photos | Blog: Around the World | Blog: Voyage to Antarctica
uva185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
PHILCT
DIS Veteran

Cool I got my FOURTH Reduced adjustment today, Thank You Southwest

Quote:
Hi Everyone

I am aware of the fact that on Southwest you can change your online booking reservation to the same plane, same dates, when the prices go down, and get a VOUCHER credit for the difference. It is so easy surprisingly, it just happens that way when you enter the CHANGE Reservation process with no actual changes made to other flights, dates. It takes about 2 minutes, it is so quick. It will tell you exactly what the price savings will before commiting to the transaction. Thank you Southwest !

When I originally booked my May flight at the end of December 2008, I was fearful I would get higher airline prices later in 2009, so I just took what was a fair price. But since then the prices have gone both up and down. I eagerly changed online my Southwest reservation for the exact same flights and dates each time they opened up a few seats at the lower price. I did this three times, for a savings VOUCHER credit of $120, which I will use also this year on another trip.

So keep checking the flights every day to see if you deserve a credit of some type.

I originally chose Southwest over Delta, because at that time Delta chose to not offer a decent price for a flight many months later, where as Southwest was much fairer. Soon afterwards, Delta went way down on their prices, and then way up again, and recently way down again. My recommendation to Delta, if you want someone to book your airline farther in advance, offer a "FAIRER" price sooner. The early bird should get the worm, not just the later booking birds.

I do wish I was flying on Delta for the Disney Magic Express Luggage Disney Resort Handling they offer out of Orlando for the return home, where as Southwest doesn't have the capability at this time to participate in the Disney Magic Express tagged Luggage program returning out of Orlando. But in the end, price really matters in these economically difficult times.

Phil
I checked the rates again this morning, and amazingly the round trip price from Hartford to Orlando has been reduced again, and I grabbed an additional credit. Now I have a credit for about 162 dollars.

I was curious to see what Delta is selling their seats for now, and they are all the same low price as Southwest's lowest price. I was also surprised to see how many seats were empty on the Delta VIEW SEATS option.

I believe they can not afford to reduce these flights any more, but I will keep looking every day.

It is making me wonder if the airline bookings to Orlando are down from last year for the Month of May, even with the the Disney Buy 4 Nights Get 3 Free promotion going on?

Thank You SouthWest !
PHILCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #11
vossjemi
I LUV 2 Travel!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
i've asked several times for the credit & have always been told the same thing...

if you originally book a 'non-refundable' fare, i.e. a 'get away fare', etc., even if the rate drops via a non-DING price adjustment they will only offer a credit
Yeah, the credit I got refunded was about a month ago. I had 6 tickets booked & the fare got reduced on 2. Now, yesterday & today 2 more tickets got reduced. But this time around, I was told it wasn't the same class of service so no refund, only credit. But, hey, I'll take a reduction any way I can get it!
vossjemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #12
Jessfrogger88
Mouseketeer

My return ticket is down from $98.00 to $58.00. How do I go about getting that credit lol!

Edited

I went ahead and changed the reservation and it says I am entitled to a $40.00 credit. Will it be mailed to me? or do I pick it up at the airport?

Last edited by Jessfrogger88; 05-05-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Jessfrogger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #13
kevgraub
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Phil
Really, this is not just a Delta thing. I have been looking at prices for our trip in September and an just curious how the different airlines are pricing the trip. For our trip, it was Southwest that intially had a MUCH higher rate than either Airtran or Delta. Now Southwest has started to bring its rates down closer to what Airtran and Delta have been at for several weeks.

I know that Southwest offers a credit if the price goes down, but for a family that flies about once every 5 years, that really is not much of a perk.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that even Southwest at times starts out with fares for the same route that are considerably higher than either Delta or Airtran, and then later lowers the rates to be in line with the other guys. They all do it at different times and on different routes sometimes.
kevgraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #14
Corwin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessfrogger88 View Post
My return ticket is down from $98.00 to $58.00. How do I go about getting that credit lol!

Edited

I went ahead and changed the reservation and it says I am entitled to a $40.00 credit. Will it be mailed to me? or do I pick it up at the airport?
Neither.

For the non-refundable "Wanna Get Away" fares, you get a credit that can be used for travel completed within one year of the initial booking.

You utilize the credit by typing in your confirmation number at the prompt when booking the new ticket.
2012-Aug: WDW Wilderness Lodge Villas/Bay Lake Tower
2011-Aug: WDW Beach Club Villas/Disney Dream Bahamas cruise/Wilderness Lodge Villas/Wilderness Lodge
2010-Dec: WDW Wilderness Lodge Villas (Christmas/New Year's trip!)
2010-Feb: WDW Polynesian/Disney Wonder Bahamas cruise/Animal Kingdom Villas
2009-Aug: WDW Wilderness Lodge
2007-Aug: WDW Wilderness Lodge/Yacht Club (1994-Jan & 1991-July: WDW Off-Site)
Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: