Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #106
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsadams View Post
You know. I haven't even thought about second choices. Hmmm. I wonder if I should? I guess I just figured I might not get the exact times I was hoping for, but would still get the place. I am considering the order that I should book my ADRs though. Like trying to rank what I think are the most popular TS choices. Have you done that?
I would have a few scenarios worked out, just in case, but that is me. I just have tied things to specific days, so I don't want to move park days if I can avoid it... When I called Disney Dining the CM was helpful. She said start with the most popular dining selections... Otherwise known as "Le Cellier" and "Chefs" and "Cali" and "Ohana" She listened to my selections and kept saying "yes" to popular and "oh, yes -- be sure to ask for those first" and other not at all reassuring type comments... She said start with most popular, give prefered time (they look up and down) and then go to the next one. I am going to ask for the restaurant for the right day, and see the times, then go to the back up day, before I go to the next restaurant... I think most people go day by day. who know what will work. I still have some time to get this right in my head!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *
Old 03-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #107
Happydog
DIS Veteran

The ADR VIGIL

Okay, if my grandmother was here she would say "Don't worry dear, I'll light a candle for you"...

I hope I make it through this evening without totally changing everything because I finally signed up for TGM, and the first thing I see is that my special June 18th Bday fun is a "STOP -- do not pass go, do not collect $200" day, which translates to a "STOP -- do not pass through the Magic Kingdom Gate, do not collect fastpasses, turn and run away as fast as you can because the crowds will eat you" kind of day...

Of course, I exaggerate. But STILL!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #108
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post

Okay, if my grandmother was here she would say "Don't worry dear, I'll light a candle for you"...

I hope I make it through this evening without totally changing everything because I finally signed up for TGM, and the first thing I see is that my special June 18th Bday fun is a "STOP -- do not pass go, do not collect $200" day, which translates to a "STOP -- do not pass through the Magic Kingdom Gate, do not collect fastpasses, turn and run away as fast as you can because the crowds will eat you" kind of day...

Of course, I exaggerate. But STILL!
I really freaked myself out with TGM when I signed up a few weeks before my September trip. Take what he says with a grain of salt and be prepared for crowds. You will enjoy your Birthday fun, I am sure of it!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #109
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Now you have me wondering if I should sign up for TGM -- I looked at his website today and it seems right up my alley with all sorts of compulsive planning...
Old 03-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #110
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Now you have me wondering if I should sign up for TGM -- I looked at his website today and it seems right up my alley with all sorts of compulsive planning...
Okay, um, teacher-types and compulsive planning...

BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD.

That is all I have to say...

Old 03-19-2009, 01:08 AM   #111
TxRabbit
DIS Veteran

Happy ADR day!

Just want to send

your way!

I hope you get everything you want at the times you want! We go camping Thursday, so don't know if I'll get to see the results before we leave...I wouldn't freak out about the TGM crowd stuff. Even the UG will say that a well thought out touring plan is more important than which park on which day. You have good plans. I wouldn't worry about it.

I hope you sleep well tonight and that your hold time is very very small.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:59 AM   #112
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Okay, um, teacher-types and compulsive planning...

BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD.

That is all I have to say...
You're telling me!!!

Pixie Dust for ADR Morning! Make sure you check back with us and tell us how it went!
Old 03-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #114
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsadams View Post
Just want to send

your way!

I hope you get everything you want at the times you want! We go camping Thursday, so don't know if I'll get to see the results before we leave...I wouldn't freak out about the TGM crowd stuff. Even the UG will say that a well thought out touring plan is more important than which park on which day. You have good plans. I wouldn't worry about it.

I hope you sleep well tonight and that your hold time is very very small.
Hi and thank you for the pixie dust! I'll post everything in a few minutes!
Quote:
You're telling me!!!

Pixie Dust for ADR Morning! Make sure you check back with us and tell us how it went!
Oh thank you! I think it worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
Good Luck!! I hope everything is going well!
Thanks so much! I am gathering my thoughts to post shortly...

Old 03-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #115
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Adr Day Arrives!

So today was ADR day. This post is just a play-by-play on what the call was like, and how it turned out… I will post my list and itinerary tonight.

So I was up with coffee and two phones in hand well before 7:00 am. I started dialing both my cell and home line seconds before 7:00, immediately made it into the system, and was on the phone with a CM seconds into the call… This was a good first start, I thought, it boded well for a short call… THEN the CM asked me for my Confirmation # (resort confirmation #) WOULD you believe that I didn’t have it with the ADR worksheet?!! I RAN upstairs grabbed the # out of my binder, and then she cleared me to started my ADR requests. I started with Le Cellier and Chefs de France for dinner on the 17th. “NO availability,” was her reply. Okay, I didn’t fret, and I asked her to check the 20th for both as well, “NO availability,” was her response. I started to get this knot in my stomach about now… I changed tactics, dropped these choices, and went to the 18th. If you have read along you may know that the 18th is my big Birthday extravaganza day for DH. I asked for Cali Grill. “NO availability” I asked for Narcoossee’s as my back up and they had it. So I took it and we moved on… From there things started to look a little better. Had to flip a few restaurants but I already had two days for each “choice” So I was prepared for that. I then went and asked her for LUNCH ADRs for Chefs on the 17th…. they had 1:30. I went ahead and took it, remembering that Remy was now visiting Chefs de France from 12 - 6 (Thanks Lady Lallie! ) I asked her for any openings for Le Cellier on the 20th and 17th, and there was still “NO availability.” So though I was a little disappointed, I turned to Tutto Italia and was able to get that on the 17th. San Angels was closed for renovation for these dates, which I didn’t know, so we could not choose it. At this time I was scanning AllEars to remind me of the other restaurants, they had Nine Dragons, but I was not sure about taking it, and I just happened to say “I wish Tokyo Dining had ADRs” to which the CM said, “oh, actually they do ADRs.” I sat up quick and asked for availability b/c everywhere I had read prior told me that they didn’t. This is a choice we would all like, so fortunately there was availability on the 20th. I was ready to move on to other reservations, and I then asked her about “saving the ADR’s”. She said the system hadn’t been kicking people off, so she wasn’t worried about that. I probably should have listened to that voice in my head, because as soon as she turned to reserve our Pirate Cruise, the system locked up and the ADRs were “gone.” NOW, I am pretty good at holding myself together. But after 40 minutes, it took a lot for me to calmly ask her “what do we do, now? She asked me if I had the times and dates that she had given me, and I said yes, so she proceeded to write them all down, and them enter them all back into the system… I asked her if other people would be able to book them and she said “No” -- this surprised me, but I believed her, and yes it happened that she was able to “recovered” everything. I asked her to check one last time for Cali Grill on the 18th. Amazing as it is, she found it. So I was very happy, we got it after all. She was able to make my Pirate Adventure ressie and the ressie for the Neverland Club. This initial call took 1 hour and 14 minutes.

I had to get going so I couldn’t think about it any further. On my drive, however, I called again and I asked if they had Le Cellier for 6/23. They had 4:00… I started to say okay, and she said, “Oh wait, actually it refreshed with 5:40.” OH Boy! So of course I grabbed it, and cancelled the WCC I had already made. In my head I had realized that I could do a little more rearranging and get things to work with my previous park plans. That call took 10 minutes. I called one last time to add my “celebration” details to various ADRs, and confirm all of my ADR #s and times. Another 10 minutes. And now I sit here, exhausted but Happy!

SO, let me recap the + and – of the experience (look, Lady Lallie, a LIST!):

What worked
1. I did get what I wanted, generally speaking, so 90% with some
moving time/date slots.
2. Two of the Three CMs I spoke to were pretty quick in the system.
3. Looking at those later trip dates for harder to book restaurants.
4. Checking a second and third time even in the same call. Things
popped up that hadn’t been there initially.

What didn’t work very well
1. A CM who was painfully slow and lost my ADRs but then found them
again – the call took over an hour (though some of the delay was
possibly my fault too because I was having to make 2nd and 3rd
choice decisions).
2. Having to wait 90 days! I think this is really a drag because it
wasn’t easy getting specific choices on specific days/times
3. The long long long ADR #s!
4. The anxiety when you hear that ADRs are booked up completely.

Alright, so if this is the way it will be from now on, I like the system, but I don’t like the 90 window. It is frustrating to know that a restaurant can be filled before we even have a chance to check, just because someone's arrival date is a few days earlier, and even though they may not have been planning a trip before 90 days… This is no way a jab of negativity to anyone else, we all have the same opportunity eventually, but I just feel that the odds were better with more time to actually call and there was more time to process choices, if something needed to be thought out again. I felt rushed. These are my immediate reflections on the process and my experience. I will post my new ADRs and Itinerary along side my old plans so you can see how much I changed once I actually called. I hope this will help with strategy for some of you. I am excited to digest this all now, and I look forward to sharing it!

Thanks for reading. If you are getting ready to do ADRs, I hope it has given you some ideas. Look for the FUN post tonight!!!

Last edited by Happydog; 03-20-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #116
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

The play by play of your ADR call had me stressing out! My stomach was flip flopping as I read along. Whew. I am so glad that you were able to get most of what you wanted.

I love the list by the way, but I am sure you already knew that.

I can't wait to see all your ADRs and itinerary.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #117
Happydog
DIS Veteran

ADRs confirmed and itinerary started!

Quote:

Wednesday 6/17
ETA 11am
Check in to WL
Leave Bags and head to Epcot
EPCOT
Lunch ADR Chefs de France 1:30 Can't wait to see Remy!
Return to WL by 4:00 or so and hopefully check in to room!
R & R
QS Dinner @ WSC = Cantina de San Angel, Yakitori House
OR Dinner ADR = Tokyo Dining 5:50
Illuminations!

Thursday 6/18
AM EMH @ MK!
DH’s 38th B-Day!
Lunch ADR = CRT 1:00
Return to WL around 3:30
R & R
Boat/Monorail to Poly
Drop off Boys @ Neverland Club
Dinner ADR = Cali Grill 6:05
Pick up boys – See Wishes from Poly beach or back to MK

Friday 6/19
AK
QS lunch = Yak & Yeti Market & Flame Tree BBQ
OR Lunch ADR = Yak & Yeti
Return to WL around 3:30
R & R
Dinner ADR = The Wave 5:30
Head to Fort Wilderness for Campfire program and smores.

Saturday 6/20
Leisure start to GF for Pirate Adventure Cruise
Breakfast ADR = DH and Me @ GFC 9:45
We eat while Pirates cruise!
Return to WL for some R & R
DTD and Park of our Choice
QS lunch - Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgang Puck
GOOFY's
Dinner ADR = Whispering Creek Cafe 5:15
Illuminations! or Spectro and Wishes!

Sunday, 6/21
Disney Hollywood Studios
QS lunch = Backlot Express
Return to WL around 3:00
R & R
Drive to Disney Boardwalk
Pizza dinner on the Boardwalk = Spoodles/Boardwalk Pizza window
Boat to DHS
Dessert ADR = 50s Prime Time 7:20
Boat back to Boardwalk get car and go to DTD together or back to WL
Solo shopping at DTD while DH snores with the DS’s
GOOFY'S!!!

Monday, 6/22
MK!
Brunch/Breakfast ADR = Chef Mickey’s 11:00
QS lunch = Casey's
Return to WL around 3:00
R & R
Dinner ADR = Ohana's 6:20
Return to MK
Spectromagic!
Wishes

Tuesday, 6/23
EPCOT
QS lunch = WSC Yorkshire Fish Shop, Tangierine Cafe
TBA day
Dinner ADR = Le Cellier 5:40
Watch the boat parade

Wednesday, 6/24
Magic Kingdom for a few hours
DTD walk around and QS Lunch = Wolfgang Puck Express
Head to the Train Station!
Here is the modified ADR list and tentative itinerary! I will be working on the itinerary over the next few days. If you look at the original posting back on page 2 you'll see that this isn't far off!

I got all the restaurants I wanted, just in a few cases I had to switch days. I did move my DHS day off of what TGM was calling a "bad" day!!! so a few day/park changes but otherwise not bad. Now I have to see what I want to change.... But to do that, I need some sleep!!!!

Last edited by Happydog; 03-23-2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: edits to list
Old 03-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #118
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Oh my -- you did have quite the adventure with your ADR call!

I am glad that you were able to get everything you wanted in the end.

Question: when you made your Neverland ressie, what all did they want to know? Do they want approximate times? Do they take a credit card hold or charge any kind of deposit? I think I want to make a ressie at Simba's so Charles and I can have an adult night.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #119
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh my -- you did have quite the adventure with your ADR call!

I am glad that you were able to get everything you wanted in the end.

Question: when you made your Neverland ressie, what all did they want to know? Do they want approximate times? Do they take a credit card hold or charge any kind of deposit? I think I want to make a ressie at Simba's so Charles and I can have an adult night.
HI! My toddler has a day off Montessori school today, so I had to stay home...
They gave me an "official" reservation, and for the Neverland Club, no, I don't believe so, I needed it for the Pirate cruise, but I don't think she did it for Neverland Club.... They asked for it at Cali Grill TOO. They just wanted a start time, and an "approximate" end time.. you didn't have to commit to the end time, I gave three hours, that is what I had been planning... you can make that reservation like dining. I got the same long long #!

I did get what I wanted, mostly, it was pretty crazy though!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: