Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #16
Happydog
DIS Veteran

The BIG reveal (kinda like Presto)

So if you KNOW who Presto is, you are "in the know" with Pixar shorts... and if not, well, next chance you get, see it (he is on the WALL.E DVD, and maybe the PIXAR Shorts Collection DVD)... As DS3 says,"Mommy can we watch PLESTO before bed?" Love that boy.

OKAY.... NOW... the TRIP!

We are leaving on the 16th and taking, are you ready?, The Amtrack Car Train. I wish there was a smilie wearing a conductor's hat or a train This will be a family first and was DH’s big “contribution.” He basically figures he can quit now... Can I just add that he is SOOOO pleased with himself. We pretty much fly where ever we travel, b/c we go long distance generally when we do. West coast, or over seas. We have flown each trip to FL in the past, and had intended to do so for this trip as well. The airfare was very good – about 600.00 for all of us, but then he added car rental (he doesn’t want to rely on ME again -- we didn't have a bad experience, but he wanted the flexibility vs. waiting for busses -- he likes to be in control. Uh, BIG surprise there ). In addition to the car rental, he reminded me about parking at the airport and baggage fees. So to him we were saving money and basically getting a free car rental. He also liked that we could bring whatever we wanted in the car. The night train also comes with Dinner and Breakfast, which is a sit down for both -- kinda fun. I had to admit, it wasn’t that bad of a proposition … the kids LOVE trains, we have been on overnight trains in Europe, and since DH was so excited about it, I said okay. There will be plenty to keep everyone occupied in the hours before and after dinner, a DVD will slow them down right before bed, and then when they wake up, we'll almost be there... We leave the train station at 4:30pm, and roll into the station near Orlando at 9am on the 17th. Based on everything I have read about the car train, we should be at the WL by 11am… They say at worst it is an hour to offload the cars, and then it is 35 minutes to WDW from there. Not bad, considering most flights touched down at about that same time, never mind waiting for a rental or ME to get to the resort once you get through the gate... Ask me about it when we get back...

So we check in to the Wilderness Lodge on the 17th and check out on the 24th. Since we will have our own car, we have some freedom in terms of plans and it really will help with packing, it will be nice not to fret about suitcase size, and we can bring fruit and such in a cooler. More on that later.

We did NOT opt for park hoppers or the “fun” option. I gave this a lot of thought. DS 6 (who will just be 7 on the trip) is not a strong swimmer. DS 3 (who will be just 4 on the trip) has not learned quite yet. We have been to the WParks before, but not with them at this age, and I had visions of being stressed out in a crowded place, and constantly standing and watching them and paying extra for that experience didn’t see worth it. The WL pool will be perfect for our afternoon swim plans. And as far as hoppers, I don’t need to be tempted to go nonstop at the parks, so it was just the excuse I need to keep it simple with one park a day. Since we saved money there, we put it towards more memorable and enjoyable activities. I am very excited about these!

1. The Pirate Adventure Cruise from the GF
2. The Neverland Club
3. Surrey rental/pony ride/mini golf, etc. Not sure which....

Now selfishly, two of these activities allow mom and dad to do what they want to do as well – have a quiet table-date together! We plan to have breakfast at the GF while they are on the cruise, and we will celebrate DH birthday at Cali Grill while they are at the Neverland Club.

The rentals, pony, or mini-golf, all of these will be considered if we need an activity as a backup. I do think we will get some mini-golf in (I believe our package comes with one free round... or something like that). I also know that we are planning an evening at the FW Campfire program... My kids LOVE camping and campfires. Mostly the marshmallows. They have marshmallow shooters that they received for Christmas this past year. The packaging says to "please be kind to the environment, by picking up the discarded marshmallows" (rather than leaving them in "nature" I guess...) Well, clearly the people who wrote this notice didn't know about my DS3. He is like my own private energy efficient vacum. There are no discarded marshmallows. I had to beg him to stop eating the marshmallows off the gravel on our last walk No, really. Good think he wasn't lost in the woods

Many of these great ideas are courtesy of DIS posters, and I am grateful for the additional tips I have received and continue to receive. These ideas have helped me shape my report thus far... Thank you everyone!

So next will be the overview of park selections, and dining ADRs...

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *
Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #17
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Check lists, spreadsheets and the DDP

Shortly after we booked our trip, I bought the Unofficial Guide for 2009. I read it cover to cover it was part of my intensive planning strategy. And of course I learned then about Touring Plans. I will likely follow their plans with small children. I found a great spreadsheet tool on line and am using that for this trip. I created a table for my ADRs and back up choices in case when I call on the big day I can’t get what I want. I am a bit panicked about that whole ordeal, but hopefully it will come out alright. There have been horror stories about the new system... I have a few other strategies, but I will post my proposed ADR plan later this week. I am still scheming... I'll talk about my plan for using the DDP on this trip, in the next posts...
Getting the June hours has helped… and so was the opportunity to make ADRs in advance, for CM and CRT on the 18th – for my DH’s B-day… it is somewhat of a joke, b/c he is the last person to actually want to eat at the castle and the last person who would ever expect he was eating lunch on his Birthday with Cinderella… I just had to. He’ll roll his eyes, be totally embarassed, I will get my blackmail picture, and it will be the best birthday surprise I can think of… the little boys will totally love it I am sure.

Speaking of surprises, coming up will be the surprise announcement to the kids. I have not figured that out yet, any ideas? DS6’s Bday is the 12th… I will probably do it then. DS3 doesn’t really get that Bdays happen on specific days, yet, so he is more malleable! DH will be celebrating his actual Bday on the trip – we were going to go earlier to get both DH and oldest DS, but that required time out of school for everyone. DH will get the gift card at the MK for his B-day (since we have park tickets) and that will make a nice souvenir fund for the trip. But rest assured that I am going to make sure every restaurant and the resort knows that we are celebrating birthdays!
And yes, they will get their PINS!!!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *

Last edited by Happydog; 03-03-2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: I can't type
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #18
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Oh, Happydog!!! You're in big trouble!!! You started a PTR two days ago and kept mum about it!!!

You all are so adorable and hurray for WL with bunk beds!!! I am looking forward to reading all about your planning!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #19
tiggersam00
Dole Whip addict... and proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
Hi! Wow, planning a wedding -- big job! But you must be so excited. WLodge is GREAT.. I think it would be a perfect spot for a pre-wedding touchdown at WDW! Yeah, they like to help me in the kitchen... I think we get things accomplished... I keep worrying one of them is going to singe their eyebrows off staring at the pot of water for mac and cheese that takes "forever" to boil... Thanks so much for coming along!
haha too cute! It does take a long time though lol! The disney wedding is actually not that big of a job because Disney really can do everything for you (I am doing some things on my own to save some $$ though). I bet I would be very stressed if I were doing it at home, but I have such faith that Disney will make it great! And WL is amazing, I cannot wait to see your pics!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #20
TxRabbit
DIS Veteran

I think the train ride will be so much fun! I looked into that for our trip, but the rails haven't been repaired since Katrina, so in order for us to take the train we have to go from TX to DC and then transfer to another train there to get to Florida. Yeah. Not going to happen. I just thought the train sounded like a more relaxed way to travel.

Looking forward to hearing your park plans and ADRs!
Old 03-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #21
tiggersam00
Dole Whip addict... and proud of it!

Oh and DF and I love "Plesto" we were pretty bummed when it didn;t win the oscar the other night...
Old 03-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #22
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Hi...I'm joining in if you don't mind! Your boys are absolutely adorable!

I was guilty of the "fill every minute" philosophy on our last trip as well. This time we are going to schedule in some down time and try to enjoy the small things!

The car train sounds interesting! Can't wait to hear about it!

Looking forward to reading more!
Old 03-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #23
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsadams View Post
I think the train ride will be so much fun! I looked into that for our trip, but the rails haven't been repaired since Katrina, so in order for us to take the train we have to go from TX to DC and then transfer to another train there to get to Florida. Yeah. Not going to happen. I just thought the train sounded like a more relaxed way to travel.

Looking forward to hearing your park plans and ADRs!
Hey! Yes, I think it will be too... The trip starts a little early, basically!

I realize that I didn't actually respond to your original post, so here is that too....

1. No I don't have a Thanksgiving ressie yet... I will chat about that coming up... but it is imminent... that or Christmas, renting DVC... I'll share.

2. I am sure our paths will cross! Once I post mine tonight, we can compare. At the very least we are at the same resort!

3. 2 days after Memorial day is nuts for ending the school year... I am guessing at the HS level it is much less disruptive, b/c it is probably finals week and the kids dont have to come back necessarily... but for Elementary, yeah, that's nuts!

And Lastly, would you, or someone !, please tell me how to post "quotes" from numerous posts in one post I can't figure that out....

Thanks!!!!

Old 03-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #24
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytothreeboys View Post
Hi...I'm joining in if you don't mind! Your boys are absolutely adorable!

I was guilty of the "fill every minute" philosophy on our last trip as well. This time we are going to schedule in some down time and try to enjoy the small things!

The car train sounds interesting! Can't wait to hear about it!

Looking forward to reading more!
Hi! So glad you are here! Of course you are welcome to join along... I think it is a Disney Rite of Passage, the commando tour... Ah well, a good lesson to learn!

Yeah, it sounds "interesting" to me too!!!

More coming later....

Old 03-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #25
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggersam00 View Post
Oh and DF and I love "Plesto" we were pretty bummed when it didn;t win the oscar the other night...
I KNOW! Us too....

Old 03-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #26
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Oh, Happydog!!! You're in big trouble!!! You started a PTR two days ago and kept mum about it!!!

You all are so adorable and hurray for WL with bunk beds!!! I am looking forward to reading all about your planning!
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I am not one to draw attention to myself....

And who can compete with photos of MICKEY MOUSE EAR SUNDAES!!!??? And KING TUT?!?!???!

Glad you have come over! I have enjoyed your PTR, too!

Old 03-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #27
TxRabbit
DIS Veteran

How to post multiple quotes:

There are three buttons in the lower right corner of every post. From left to write they are QUOTE, "+, and a quill. I don't know what the quill does.

But the "+ button is the one you push to select multiple posts to quote. Push that button on the posts you want to quote.

When you get to the last one you want to quote, you just push the QUOTE button and then the window will change to the Reply to Thread one so you can post.

If you hit "+ on all the posts you want to quote, you might get an error if you also hit QUOTE on one of those posts where you already selected "+, so then hit the REPLY button on the lower or upper left of the page.

Did I explain that well?
Old 03-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #28
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I am not one to draw attention to myself....

And who can compete with photos of MICKEY MOUSE EAR SUNDAES!!!??? And KING TUT?!?!???!

Glad you have come over! I have enjoyed your PTR, too!

Yes, you can compete with MM sundaes and King Tut! As you get into it, you'll find yourself thinking -- now, this would make a great PTR update!
Old 03-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #29
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsadams View Post
How to post multiple quotes:

There are three buttons in the lower right corner of every post. From left to write they are QUOTE, "+, and a quill. I don't know what the quill does.

But the "+ button is the one you push to select multiple posts to quote. Push that button on the posts you want to quote.

When you get to the last one you want to quote, you just push the QUOTE button and then the window will change to the Reply to Thread one so you can post.

If you hit "+ on all the posts you want to quote, you might get an error if you also hit QUOTE on one of those posts where you already selected "+, so then hit the REPLY button on the lower or upper left of the page.

Did I explain that well?
YES! I think ... will try it in a bit! -- going to go be a good mother & wife now, and make dinner

Old 03-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #30
Happydog
DIS Veteran

ADRs and When are we going to go back to the Cotton Ball?

Okay, here is what I have come up with so far for my trip plan...

It was easy for me to build a tentative plan around what worked last trip, and what we want to add this time around. Last trip we were there for 7 nights, and did Epcot, DHS, and MK twice -- though the second Epcot visit was on our departure day so it wasn’t a full day. With Epcot being DS6’s favorite, we have three days there, but they are ½ days so we should have time for what we want to see and what we missed last time. Magic Kingdom and the WSC are by far my favorites, and EPCOT Futureland, DH’s so we should get something for everyone this trip, including the Resort time. Which is built in daily. We are only going to DHS once, at early EMHs so we can get in and get out in a reasonable amount of time…. this time we are doing AK two days, and of course MK for 2 days, both MK days, and the DHS day, are early EMHs, so we can beat some crowds and some heat! This brings me to my first planning question: Has anyone ever gone against the suggested days for TGM or Touring Plans, and visited a park on one of the days it was not recommended?

ADRs and What about DDP?
We did the DDP last trip. We liked it, and I think we got our money’s worth. Remember my comment about the FWF?! We did pay OOP for kid snacks, to save our snack credits for the FWF, but this time we will probably use a similar strategy. I’ll pay $2.50 OOP for the occasional Mickey bar, when I know I can get a $3.95 ice cream sandwich from the Mainstreet Bakery! As it stands, I am opting for the DDP, and we are paying OOP for some meals, but overall I have managed to keep everything else on the plan. We liked the deluxe, but didn’t see the dlx being cost effective for us. I still can't figure how it would be, given what we are planning for restaurants and the pirate cruise, etc. The amount OOP might be reason enough ... I have indicated which are OOP and DDP. I did do some math on this, so maybe I will need to post that specifically next time, to see if my logic makes sense. I might be missing something, but I can't see being able to justify it for the two kids and us. That said, I am excited to try some new restaurants. Hands down our favorite meal last trip was The Wave -- can’t wait to go back. Otherwise we are trying all new choices this time, except Cali Grill. Here are the plans – I have backup second choices and third in a few cases…

Wednesday 6/17
ETA 11am
Check in to WL
Leave Bags and head to Epcot
EPCOT
QS Lunch @ WSC = Cantina de San Angel, Yakitori House
Return to WL by 4:00 and hopefully check in to room!
R & R
Dinner ADR = Le Cellier DDP
Illuminations!

Thursday 6/18
AM EMH @ MK!
DH’s 38th B-Day!
Lunch ADR = CRT @ 1pm Ressie already made OOP adults, DDP kids
Return to WL around 3:30
R & R
Boat/Monorail to Poly
Drop off Boys @ Neverland Club
Dinner ADR = Cali Grill DDP for ONE adult, OOP for second
Pick up boys – See Wishes from Poly beach or back to MK

Friday 6/19
AK
QS lunch - Yak & Yeti Market & Flame Tree BBQ
Return to WL around 3:00
R & R
Dinner ADR = Ohana’s DDP
Return to WL to watch the Boat Parade

Saturday 6/20
Leisure start to GF for Pirate Adventure Cruise
Breakfast ADR = DH and Me @ GFC OOP
We eat while Pirates cruise!
EPCOT
QS lunch - WSC = Yorkshire Fish Shop, Tangierine Cafe
Return to WL around 3:30
R & R
Dinner ADR = Chefs de France DDP
Illuminations!

Sunday 6/21
AK
LUNCH ADR = Yak & Yeti's an "extra" ADR
Return to WL around 4:00
R & R
DINNER ADR = WCC DDP
Head to FW for Campfire
Return to WL to watch the Boat Parade

Monday, 6/22
AM EMH @ DHS!
QS lunch = Beaches and Cream or DHS QS
Return to WL around 2:00
R & R
Drive to Disney Boardwalk
Pizza dinner on the Boardwalk OOP
Walk to DHS
Dessert ADR = Sci Fi OOP
Return to WL before Fantasmic crush...
Solo shopping at DTD while DH snores with the DS’s
GOOFY'S!!!

Tuesday, 6/23
AM EMH @ MK!
Brunch/Breakfast ADR = Chef Mickey’s DDP
Quick Service snack before heading back to WL = Casey's
Return to WL around 3:00
R & R
Dinner ADR = The Wave DDP/OOP for Kids
Return to MK for the last of the Magic
Spectromagic!
Wishes

Wednesday, 6/24
Check out of WL
EPCOT for a few hours
DTD walk around and QS Lunch = Wolfgang Puck Express
Head to the train station for the trip home

Sooooooooo these are the plans… I hope my scheming the past three months has been put to good use! I like that I have built in at least a 3 hr break each day. Most nights we are heading to bed by 9:30 - 10:00 … Only late nights are MK nights… But as with all things, suggestions or thoughts are appreciated! As with everything on this PTR it is subject to change!!! But with two weeks to go, I am just trying to get it all squared away so I can make that magic phone call and hope the CM knows what she/he is doing!

Next plan is to figure out the Birthday surprise and introduce you to my binder

Last edited by Happydog; 03-13-2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: ADR edits!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: