Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #151
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjackearl View Post
Too funny! I have heard that tv and movies are a great way to learn languages, so he may be on to something. Do you have relatives in Italy? I probably missed it somewhere. I'm scattered like that. Also, motherhood really does a number on the brain cells.

I forgot to respond to your enouragement on the PTR awhile back. (See what I mean about brain cells) It is pretty fun! Come on over if you get the chance.
Ah yes, mommy-memory loss! No, no relatives. We just travel every spring break with students, small #s of them, to various places. We often have as many parents as we do students, so it is always very low key and low stress. I don't think we would continue to do so otherwise. Our own children always come with us... so this will be our 5th trip to Italy, and our boys 3rd and 2nd... respectively. Their first to Venice, though, so we are excited to take them there. We leave next Thursday. So I will be on a DIS hiatus for a week I think I will be able to survive... what I WANT to do is take photos there, and then take photos in WDW, so I can do some comparison shots!!!

Don't worry -- I have already been over to your PTR and been chatting away with your posters I like your plans!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise *
Old 03-24-2009, 10:56 PM   #152
UsNew2Disney2008
DIS Veteran - who'd rather be at WDW right now!

That is so neat that you and Rabbit might meat up for WCC - any news if that is a definate yet?

Yes - I totally lucked out that the crocs were available for my DS - advantage of his big feet. He hates them though - swares Mickey is for GIRLS. I promptly told him we'd have no such language in our house!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #153
TxRabbit
DIS Veteran

Somehow I missed all these Italy plans!

That is so wonderful that your boys have been able to go oversees. And you too! I would LOVE to go oversees and it is definitely on my to do list. Step 1: Renew the passport Step 2: Get DS a passport. LOL!

What is the deal with this Italy trip? I take it that you take some of DHs students/families with you? What does he teach? He does teach, right? I didn't mess that up?

I bet you are pretty comfortable with your plans over there from doing it so many times. Do you make arrangements yourself? Or do you use a travel service?

I definitely want to see pics from your trip!!!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #154
lmillercrew
DIS Veteran

I need to buy more Disney movies on DVD. We have a lot of them on VHS, but those are SO old and getting bad. I need to convert.
I'm so jealous that you get to go to Italy again!!! Not many people can say that they've even been to Italy once, let alone 5 times. I hope you have a safe trip there and back. Have a great time!!

Me DH, DD15 Family 1982, 1989 HS choir trip, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014
Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #155
addictedtothemouse
DIS Veteran

Finally! I'm caught up.
Your plans sound great! And that's awesome about surprising the boys. I don't know if I could keep it a secret. Riding a train would be so much fun, much better than driving.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #156
tiggersam00
Dole Whip addict... and proud of it!

Ohhhh Italy!!!!! I am so jealous, that is going to be an amazing trip!!! Can you do a TR on it even though it is not Disney??? You will have an amazing time, Italy is on my list of places to go, DF has been all over Italy and always says "Oh you would love it"... well that is great DF, but take me there instead of telling me about it
Old 03-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #157
debraW76
DIS Veteran

Just read beginning to end and now subscribing!

A few notes:
  • car train - sounds like a lot of fun. Amtrak doesn't offer a direct route from here but we have taken a train to New Orleans (before kids). It was ok as adults but I think the kids would have a blast now
  • surprise trip - Love the idea. Had (have?) a surprise trip planned. It is on the brinks of being cancelled though. I guess the surprise is that I am going to be surprise too?
  • christmas trip - Congrats!! I would love to go during Christmas. Maybe if our summer trip doesn't pan out...
  • doodling - I am a doodler too!
  • binder - Love your binder. I used a clip board one year and a 3-prong folder another time. Carried my UG book in one year. And last year I carried a small accordian file with each day's info in each folder. I think next time I am upgrading to a small binder like yours.

Great TR. Can't wait for more
Old 03-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #158
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsNew2Disney2008 View Post
That is so neat that you and Rabbit might meet up for WCC - any news if that is a definate yet?

Yes - I totally lucked out that the crocs were available for my DS - advantage of his big feet. He hates them though - swears Mickey is for GIRLS. I promptly told him we'd have no such language in our house!
Hello! Yes, we have discussed it, right Rabbit?! Originally our paths didn't exactly cross and we were going to just arrange to meet at the pool one afternoon, but now, coincidently we have ADRs for WCC the same night with 15 minutes of eachother! So now we can "meet" there, and if we find eachother at the pool, great.

Rabbit, if you read this post, we'll TALK as we get closer and plan it out!

Uh, you tell that little boy Mickey is NOT for girls only!! I am going to get some new ones next month, I think, just before the trip.

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise *
Old 03-25-2009, 04:38 PM   #159
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsadams View Post
Somehow I missed all these Italy plans!

That is so wonderful that your boys have been able to go oversees. And you too! I would LOVE to go oversees and it is definitely on my to do list. Step 1: Renew the passport Step 2: Get DS a passport. LOL!

What is the deal with this Italy trip? I take it that you take some of DHs students/families with you? What does he teach? He does teach, right? I didn't mess that up?

I bet you are pretty comfortable with your plans over there from doing it so many times. Do you make arrangements yourself? Or do you use a travel service?

I definitely want to see pics from your trip!!!!!
Hi ya! No, you didn't miss anything. I guess I didn't bring it up earlier b/c it wasn't Disney-related, but we are leaving next week, so I better get my butt in gear for this trip! Yes, we have traveled quite a bit with them. DS 6 went to England when he was 6 mos old, DS3 to Scotland when he was 10 weeks, if you can believe it! And we have taken them to Italy now a few times. Basically we couldn't afford to travel there so often if we didn't do trips. Though a few trips, to the UK, have been family trips b/c we have friends there. I actually won a competition for "Shakespeare Teacher of the Year" the year we took baby DS3 to Edinburgh... It was for three weeks to study there. The whole family came, we rented a flat, it was really amazing. We are going back next summer. They have a big theater festival there every year. He teaches Theater, Film, Humanities... Re the trips it is very easy. My DH uses a student travel company but he designs the itinerary himself. It has been the past 10 yrs I guess we have been doing these trips. Only the past 6 with our kids. And a few they have not traveled with us... I'll only go to Europe with them since they are still so young. I will certainly take photos! The last trip, DS3 was 1 1/2 so he is much more mobile, talkative, etc. and I really look forward to bringing them both there... Venice and Florence. Where we have been before, but neither of them have.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #160
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmillercrew View Post
I need to buy more Disney movies on DVD. We have a lot of them on VHS, but those are SO old and getting bad. I need to convert.
I'm so jealous that you get to go to Italy again!!! Not many people can say that they've even been to Italy once, let alone 5 times. I hope you have a safe trip there and back. Have a great time!!
Hi! Yes! I have three on VHS, Jungle book, Fantasia, and Beauty and the Beast. But I love the old movies, and secretly can't wait to see them myself

Re Italy, well, consider going to Italy with a bunch of teenagers and their parents... takes a little of the thrill out of it!! I used to feel like a mother of 12 on these trips!!! No, seriously we couldn't do it if we didn't take student trips there, and, at this point we are so used to it, and so many parents go, we really feel like we are along for the ride, too... I don't chaperone any more, just go as the "spouse" and bring our kiddos... We get a certain # of free places, and since my DH has done this for so long (10yrs) they just charge us a modified price for our kids, b/c they room with us. We are lucky, but I think next year is the last year we are going to do it. It does take a lot of time to organize it all, and I think we are finally growing out of it.
At anyrate, I will post some photos when we get back, but I am really excited to do some comparisons with Epcot!!!!

Old 03-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #161
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtothemouse View Post
Finally! I'm caught up.
Your plans sound great! And that's awesome about surprising the boys. I don't know if I could keep it a secret. Riding a train would be so much fun, much better than driving.
Yeah, this surprise is going to be the end of me -- I swear!!!! It is fun. It is going to get harder, though! I have to come up with the grand scheme for revealing it to them, I have not had a chance to really think that through... probably in May I will come up with it... I promise I will cook up a few good ideas and let everyone else decide for me!

Re the Train, yes! It should be fun... I am looking forward to it, I think... Ask me when we get there... I like flying, and not sure I am ready to drive with our kids quite yet... but the train will keep them occupied I think.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #162
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggersam00 View Post
Ohhhh Italy!!!!! I am so jealous, that is going to be an amazing trip!!! Can you do a TR on it even though it is not Disney??? You will have an amazing time, Italy is on my list of places to go, DF has been all over Italy and always says "Oh you would love it"... well that is great DF, but take me there instead of telling me about it
Hi! Wow you are getting ready to leave in just a few days! You can count them on your HAND!!!!

RE DH, well, you tell him exactly that! That had me chuckling... It is a beautiful country, we have been to different places, Northern, Central and South. So much to see. I don't know that I will do a TR, I am too interested in my Disney trip! , but I will post a few photos...

I hope you have a wonderful trip yourself! I will pop over to your ptr and see your send off!

Old 03-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #163
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debraW76 View Post
Just read beginning to end and now subscribing!

A few notes:
  • car train - sounds like a lot of fun. Amtrak doesn't offer a direct route from here but we have taken a train to New Orleans (before kids). It was ok as adults but I think the kids would have a blast now
  • surprise trip - Love the idea. Had (have?) a surprise trip planned. It is on the brinks of being cancelled though. I guess the surprise is that I am going to be surprise too?
  • christmas trip - Congrats!! I would love to go during Christmas. Maybe if our summer trip doesn't pan out...
  • doodling - I am a doodler too!
  • binder - Love your binder. I used a clip board one year and a 3-prong folder another time. Carried my UG book in one year. And last year I carried a small accordian file with each day's info in each folder. I think next time I am upgrading to a small binder like yours.

Great TR. Can't wait for more

Hello! Thanks for joining!

Well, thank you for the words about the train, surprise, and the xmas trip... I hope things work out for you, too!

Doodling is a sign of high intelligence...

I don't think I could carry the UG with me into the park... I would be too tempted to throw it at my DH at one point during the trip I am sure
I LIKE the accordian folder idea, though! I think this little binder-thingy will work. I am still working on it, so when I have finished "dressing" it up, I will share!

Glad you are here!!

Old 03-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #164
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Disney Decorating

So "CP" Jackie over on her PTR (that would be Charleston Princess if you don't know her yet) had a discussion about the Moroccan Tiles in Epcot and how she was going to buy some to inspire her Kitchen redecorating. I mentioned we had done something similar with our retro Tiki Room prints it was the 40th anniversary... so here are a few shots of that. DH and I bought these in Disney LAND, about four years ago... These first help you see the whole space, including the Tiki bank and candle on the counter. Which I got at Target (where else?!! ) on clearance after their summer season. They made a great partner with the decorating scheme, as did the towels and paint colors (in the shower room, there is an accent wall that is orange). Anyway we had fun, and didn't really consider that we were decorating with Disney in mind, but we did it without even thinking! Funny how this wasn't as deliberate as all that, but we were pleased with the outcome. It is very bright and cheery.

Here is another

This photo gives you the print up close.

These photos shows a print, and then what I did with two stationary cards. I had them framed like the rest of the prints. I actually waited until Michael's had one of their 50% or more off Frame sale, and splurged... We had a lot of art we wanted to get framed before we moved into our new house.

This is the picture with the framed cards...

Last edited by Happydog; 03-25-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #165
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Very cool bathroom, what a great idea! Where did you find the prints?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: