Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 07:26 AM   #46
bidnow5
DIS Veteran
 
bidnow5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 606

New here so this is the first TR of yours I read. Not sure I would call myself a band geek but I did play trumpet in High School band. I was also in the parade in MK in 1993 as Grand Marshals (see avatar).
On the stroller my daughter bought a Mclaren stroller last year it folds up small has storage and a sun shade and it's made well enough to use for a few years.
I am a major Disney nut we will be back for our 33rd trip in May. We are driving again but it's a 21 hour drive time for us or about 25 to 28 hour total time with rest stops. We leave at about 1 or 2 AM to get past New York rush hour traffic and so we can go to one of the parks when it opens.
Looking forward to reading the rest of your TR. Have a great time
__________________
Glen
34 trips to WDW in 26 years

bidnow5 is offline  
Old 03-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #47
Sooze
DIS Veteran
 
Sooze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Avon, IN
Posts: 2,986

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidnow5 View Post
New here so this is the first TR of yours I read. Not sure I would call myself a band geek but I did play trumpet in High School band. I was also in the parade in MK in 1993 as Grand Marshals (see avatar).
On the stroller my daughter bought a Mclaren stroller last year it folds up small has storage and a sun shade and it's made well enough to use for a few years.
I am a major Disney nut we will be back for our 33rd trip in May. We are driving again but it's a 21 hour drive time for us or about 25 to 28 hour total time with rest stops. We leave at about 1 or 2 AM to get past New York rush hour traffic and so we can go to one of the parks when it opens.
Looking forward to reading the rest of your TR. Have a great time
33rd TRIP!!!??? I am quite impressed!! And with such a long drive? You really are a Disney nut.. but that's a good thing!

Glad you found me... and we can consider you an official Band Geek, but only if you'd like to be one!
__________________
1978 CR,1989 Off Site, 1991 Off Site, 1992 CR, 2003 ASM, 2004 CBR, 2005 CBR, 2005 BCV, 2006 OKW, 2007 SSR,2007 BWV,,2008 POR,2008 OKW,2008 BCV,2009 SSR, 2009 BCV,2009 SSR,2009 SSR ,2010 BWV,2010 POFQ ,2011 Grand Gathering at BWV,2011 Drama Queens in Orlando,2011 Disney Dream New Year's Cruise,2012 OKW,2012 OKW Parents' 40th Anniversary2013 Spring Break at WLV,2013 Adult Trip BWV,2013 Disney Fantasy New Year's Cruise2014 OKW Summer Fun,2014 AKL Girls Only,2015 My First Half Marathon,2015 Spring Break Cruise

ME DH DS 14 DD 8
Sooze is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #48
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy
 
FauntleroyFAN07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls
Posts: 8,624

Quote:
Originally Posted by timandlesley View Post
Ok, here is my souvie idea, and yes it's FREE!!!

Here's what you do, bring back a park map from each park you visit for each kid in the class. When you get back you can pass them out and then go over where you visited in each park and talk a little bit about it.

I think your kids would get in to it, especially if you have them guess each day what attraction you visited and then reveal it the next day. Or something like that.....

Also, what's great is that you can couple this along with a really cheap option and it appears that they are getting a lot.

Well, that's my idea.

Have a great night!!

Tim
I love that idea, very cool, she could also have them do north south east west things with the map and have them pick out different things

Another cheap and free thing, u could also give out some of the free stickers that you get on property and some of the soaps and shampoos as prizes for things.

Or just give the soaps and shampoos to the smelly kids
__________________
ME ~ DW ~DS ~ DD

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline  
Old 03-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #49
bidnow5
DIS Veteran
 
bidnow5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooze View Post
33rd TRIP!!!??? I am quite impressed!! And with such a long drive? You really are a Disney nut.. but that's a good thing!

Glad you found me... and we can consider you an official Band Geek, but only if you'd like to be one!
Thank you I loved Band so Band Geek it is
__________________
Glen
34 trips to WDW in 26 years

bidnow5 is offline  
Old 03-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #50
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West on I-4, stop at the Gulf.
Posts: 8,827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooze View Post
[*]Swiss Family Robinson TreeHouse
Everyone HAS to try this once!
Quote:
[*]Tom Sawyer Island
One of our favorite spots. Take the time to just meander around over there - there's SO much to see!

Quote:
[*]House of Tomorrow in Innoventions
Okay, it's been many years since I was last in it, but I remember finding this very cool.

Quote:
[*]TRex Restaurant
This was a BIG winner with Leo!
__________________
V's Fuzzy Running. Updated 10/8: 2014 Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler - Race Recap!

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline  
Old 03-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #51
Sooze
DIS Veteran
 
Sooze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Avon, IN
Posts: 2,986

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidnow5 View Post
Thank you I loved Band so Band Geek it is
Well, that solidifies it! Anyone who loves band is a true band geek!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Everyone HAS to try this once!

One of our favorite spots. Take the time to just meander around over there - there's SO much to see!


Okay, it's been many years since I was last in it, but I remember finding this very cool.


This was a BIG winner with Leo!

Thanks V! Can't wait to experience these new things!
__________________
1978 CR,1989 Off Site, 1991 Off Site, 1992 CR, 2003 ASM, 2004 CBR, 2005 CBR, 2005 BCV, 2006 OKW, 2007 SSR,2007 BWV,,2008 POR,2008 OKW,2008 BCV,2009 SSR, 2009 BCV,2009 SSR,2009 SSR ,2010 BWV,2010 POFQ ,2011 Grand Gathering at BWV,2011 Drama Queens in Orlando,2011 Disney Dream New Year's Cruise,2012 OKW,2012 OKW Parents' 40th Anniversary2013 Spring Break at WLV,2013 Adult Trip BWV,2013 Disney Fantasy New Year's Cruise2014 OKW Summer Fun,2014 AKL Girls Only,2015 My First Half Marathon,2015 Spring Break Cruise

ME DH DS 14 DD 8
Sooze is offline  
Old 03-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #52
lovethecastle
Mouseketeer
 
lovethecastle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, ny
Posts: 393

So you are driving. Tell me about how you feel once you get there. Seriously, are you too tired for the rest of the trip to enjoy yourself? We would have a 24 hr. drive but we could afford to go this summer with the buy 4 get 3 more deal if we drove & didn't fly. So how do catch up on sleep?
__________________
1975 FW cabins
Nov 1987 offsite
1998 FW cabins
Dec 03/Jan 04 WL
Dec 05/Jan 06 WL
Dec 07 Poly
Aug 09 CB
July 2011 CB
June/July 2012 swan/pcc 3.0
lovethecastle is offline  
Old 03-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #53
Sooze
DIS Veteran
 
Sooze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Avon, IN
Posts: 2,986

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
I love that idea, very cool, she could also have them do north south east west things with the map and have them pick out different things

Another cheap and free thing, u could also give out some of the free stickers that you get on property and some of the soaps and shampoos as prizes for things.

Or just give the soaps and shampoos to the smelly kids
And the cool thing about Disney maps... I think some of their compass roses do NOT have North on the TOP.. kids don't get to see that very often, so it could be a cool learning tool.

Unfortunately, I won't be getting too many cute soaps and shampoos since we are staying DVC and will only get mousekeeping once during our stay. Unless I go on a Mousekeeping cart stake-out... just like Dan and Candi!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecastle View Post
So you are driving. Tell me about how you feel once you get there. Seriously, are you too tired for the rest of the trip to enjoy yourself? We would have a 24 hr. drive but we could afford to go this summer with the buy 4 get 3 more deal if we drove & didn't fly. So how do catch up on sleep?
How do I survive after driving all night?.... DISNEY ADRENALINE!!!

Seriously, though... We will leave Saturday afternoon. I plan on napping pretty hard before we go (which will be difficult because I'll be so excited!). DH will take the first leg of the trip, which is usually 4pm-1am. Then I do the graveyard shift (1am-8am) while DH sleeps. I listen to books on tape ... which is really on my ipod now... and catch up on Podcasts that I listen to. I actually LOVE the quiet time to myself before the craziness of the actual trip starts! Then DH gets up and lets me doze the rest of the way in. Actually, the two times I've driven through the night, it hasn't been that bad!

To make up any needed energy, we ALWAYS come back to our villa for lunch/nap time each day. While Shae naps, sometimes we ALL do too... or one of us will take Tyson back out to the parks or to the pool. So, there's plenty of time to catch up on sleep!

There are pros and cons to flying and driving. We just pick what works best for us (and our budget) at the time!
__________________
1978 CR,1989 Off Site, 1991 Off Site, 1992 CR, 2003 ASM, 2004 CBR, 2005 CBR, 2005 BCV, 2006 OKW, 2007 SSR,2007 BWV,,2008 POR,2008 OKW,2008 BCV,2009 SSR, 2009 BCV,2009 SSR,2009 SSR ,2010 BWV,2010 POFQ ,2011 Grand Gathering at BWV,2011 Drama Queens in Orlando,2011 Disney Dream New Year's Cruise,2012 OKW,2012 OKW Parents' 40th Anniversary2013 Spring Break at WLV,2013 Adult Trip BWV,2013 Disney Fantasy New Year's Cruise2014 OKW Summer Fun,2014 AKL Girls Only,2015 My First Half Marathon,2015 Spring Break Cruise

ME DH DS 14 DD 8
Sooze is offline  
Old 03-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #54
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy
 
FauntleroyFAN07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls
Posts: 8,624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooze View Post

Unfortunately, I won't be getting too many cute soaps and shampoos since we are staying DVC and will only get mousekeeping once during our stay. Unless I go on a Mousekeeping cart stake-out... just like Dan and Candi!!

!
It is a cart shopping , not a stake out, well really more of a grab and keep walking, i have mastered the art of going by once to see wher ein the room they are then, go by again and grab and walk without stopping...it really is an art form
__________________
ME ~ DW ~DS ~ DD

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline  
Old 03-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #55
dddisrunner
DIS Veteran
 
dddisrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
It is a cart shopping , not a stake out, well really more of a grab and keep walking, i have mastered the art of going by once to see wher ein the room they are then, go by again and grab and walk without stopping...it really is an art form

Oooh! The grab and walk! Is that like the "bend and snap"? (Legally blonde)
__________________
dddisrunner is offline  
Old 03-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #56
Sooze
DIS Veteran
 
Sooze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Avon, IN
Posts: 2,986

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
It is a cart shopping , not a stake out, well really more of a grab and keep walking, i have mastered the art of going by once to see wher ein the room they are then, go by again and grab and walk without stopping...it really is an art form


Quote:
Originally Posted by dddisrunner View Post
Oooh! The grab and walk! Is that like the "bend and snap"? (Legally blonde)
__________________
1978 CR,1989 Off Site, 1991 Off Site, 1992 CR, 2003 ASM, 2004 CBR, 2005 CBR, 2005 BCV, 2006 OKW, 2007 SSR,2007 BWV,,2008 POR,2008 OKW,2008 BCV,2009 SSR, 2009 BCV,2009 SSR,2009 SSR ,2010 BWV,2010 POFQ ,2011 Grand Gathering at BWV,2011 Drama Queens in Orlando,2011 Disney Dream New Year's Cruise,2012 OKW,2012 OKW Parents' 40th Anniversary2013 Spring Break at WLV,2013 Adult Trip BWV,2013 Disney Fantasy New Year's Cruise2014 OKW Summer Fun,2014 AKL Girls Only,2015 My First Half Marathon,2015 Spring Break Cruise

ME DH DS 14 DD 8
Sooze is offline  
Old 03-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #57
Sooze
DIS Veteran
 
Sooze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Avon, IN
Posts: 2,986

Ideas for the car ride?

Okay gang, get your best car-ride ideas together and let me hear 'em!

Most of our ride will take place while the kiddos are sleeping, but we will have several hours to kill.

So far, here are my plans:

Portable DVD player... I already bought 3 new movies the kids haven't seen yet and will pull them out and surprise them throughout the trip.

Mileage tickets... The kids earn a ticket every 30 miles. They can redeem 4 tickets for a prize (cheapy dollar store things.. trinkets, toys, books, dolls, cars, etc.)

What else to you have?
__________________
1978 CR,1989 Off Site, 1991 Off Site, 1992 CR, 2003 ASM, 2004 CBR, 2005 CBR, 2005 BCV, 2006 OKW, 2007 SSR,2007 BWV,,2008 POR,2008 OKW,2008 BCV,2009 SSR, 2009 BCV,2009 SSR,2009 SSR ,2010 BWV,2010 POFQ ,2011 Grand Gathering at BWV,2011 Drama Queens in Orlando,2011 Disney Dream New Year's Cruise,2012 OKW,2012 OKW Parents' 40th Anniversary2013 Spring Break at WLV,2013 Adult Trip BWV,2013 Disney Fantasy New Year's Cruise2014 OKW Summer Fun,2014 AKL Girls Only,2015 My First Half Marathon,2015 Spring Break Cruise

ME DH DS 14 DD 8
Sooze is offline  
Old 03-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #58
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy
 
FauntleroyFAN07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls
Posts: 8,624

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddisrunner View Post
Oooh! The grab and walk! Is that like the "bend and snap"? (Legally blonde)
haha, yep just like that, except, a lot more graceful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooze View Post
Okay gang, get your best car-ride ideas together and let me hear 'em!

Most of our ride will take place while the kiddos are sleeping, but we will have several hours to kill.

So far, here are my plans:

Portable DVD player... I already bought 3 new movies the kids haven't seen yet and will pull them out and surprise them throughout the trip.

Mileage tickets... The kids earn a ticket every 30 miles. They can redeem 4 tickets for a prize (cheapy dollar store things.. trinkets, toys, books, dolls, cars, etc.)

What else to you have?
i like the ticket thing, something else my parents did to keep us busy was to tell us to look for certain things, like a mileage number or a restaurant, and if we saw it we got a prize, my mom would have boxes of stuff wrapped up for us.

you could add that to the ticket game and hav ethem look for things for extra tickets.


alot of fun.
__________________
ME ~ DW ~DS ~ DD

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline  
Old 03-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #59
TheDISneyFamily
°O° DIS Friendship Pixie °O°
I call it the Save & Splurge!
We're ready to meet some DIS'ers!
 
TheDISneyFamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,579

Play Disney Trivial Pursuit - or make up your own Disney Trivia questions. Have Ty be the official score keeper.

For the nighttime driving when the kids are asleep: Each of you make a 'Mix Tape' CD or playlist of MP3's and surprise each other. Throw in songs that remind you of places you've been or special things you've done together.
__________________

Home Sweet Home - BWV - I'm going back to my happy place!

***DIS/TFW Friendship Pixie***
TheDISneyFamily is offline  
Old 03-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #60
Sooze
DIS Veteran
 
Sooze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Avon, IN
Posts: 2,986

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post

i like the ticket thing, something else my parents did to keep us busy was to tell us to look for certain things, like a mileage number or a restaurant, and if we saw it we got a prize, my mom would have boxes of stuff wrapped up for us.

you could add that to the ticket game and hav ethem look for things for extra tickets.


alot of fun.
Bonus tickets! I love it! Maybe they could keep their eyes open for anything Disney related... like Mickey's Auto Shop.. or a princess on a billboard. Cool idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDISneyFamily View Post
Play Disney Trivial Pursuit - or make up your own Disney Trivia questions. Have Ty be the official score keeper.

For the nighttime driving when the kids are asleep: Each of you make a 'Mix Tape' CD or playlist of MP3's and surprise each other. Throw in songs that remind you of places you've been or special things you've done together.
Disney trivia is a wonderful idea... maybe they can earn more tickets with correct answers. Maybe I'll have them earn 10 tickets before rewarding them with a prize, so the trivia questions will be that much more fun!

I also love the playlist idea, however.. when I'm driving... Matt'll be out like a light!! He sleeps SO well in a car... not me, tho!
__________________
1978 CR,1989 Off Site, 1991 Off Site, 1992 CR, 2003 ASM, 2004 CBR, 2005 CBR, 2005 BCV, 2006 OKW, 2007 SSR,2007 BWV,,2008 POR,2008 OKW,2008 BCV,2009 SSR, 2009 BCV,2009 SSR,2009 SSR ,2010 BWV,2010 POFQ ,2011 Grand Gathering at BWV,2011 Drama Queens in Orlando,2011 Disney Dream New Year's Cruise,2012 OKW,2012 OKW Parents' 40th Anniversary2013 Spring Break at WLV,2013 Adult Trip BWV,2013 Disney Fantasy New Year's Cruise2014 OKW Summer Fun,2014 AKL Girls Only,2015 My First Half Marathon,2015 Spring Break Cruise

ME DH DS 14 DD 8
Sooze is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.