Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
arielrocks
always planning another trip to Disney!!!

I hope that this doesn't get closed.......

But it is SOOOOO hard renting out your DVC points!!!

Mine are for rent at the moment - in the correct DVC section........but there are so many people who ask you to check availability - you call for them and get back to them and then never here from them again!!!

Renting your points is A LOT OF HARD WORK!!!

The time difference makes it hard too!!!!!

I wouldn't rent my own points, but I got matching developer points for my Bay Lake purchase and DVC won't let me extend them for 1 week, which means if I don't rent em I will loose em!!!!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
pigby
This one might be a little more challenging

Sorry you're having a hard time of this, Caroline. I have for the second year rented from the same UK DIS'er and have only positive things to say - have you advertised your points on the UK DIS board? No time difference issues and payment is obviously much easier - I just paid via a UK cheque.

Sept 2013 Loews Hollywood/Candy Cane Inn DLR, June 2012 Portofino Bay/OKW, Aug 2011 OKW/HRH, April 2011, Candy Cane Inn DLR, California, March 2011 Sequoia Lodge DLRP, Jul 2010 HoJo, Disneyland California, Dec 2009 Santa Fe DLRP, May 2009 ASMu/BCV,Aug 2008 CSR/RPR - WDW/Universal, Oct 2007 Santa Fe DLRP,Dec 2006 Sequoia Lodge DLRP, Aug 2006 RPR/Saratoga Springs- Universal/WDW, May 2006 Cheyenne DLRP,Oct 2005 ASMo - WDW,July 2005 POP/WL - WDW, Oct 04 RPR/Pop/POFQ July 03 ASMo - WDW, Oct 02 Newport Bay DLRP, Aug 01 ASMo-WDW Sep 00 ASMo- WDW, Jun 97 Newport Bay DLRP, Jul 90 offsite WDW
pigby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
arielrocks

You are aren't allowed to advertise them to rent on the UK boards section - they changed the rules - which IMHO makes things much harder for UK Disers to rent points!!

I have rented from UK Disers before - it was so much easier - but some people are getting me running about calling to check this that and the other and when I Look again they are contacting another member about the same reservation!!!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

I would expect that this thread will either be moved to the DVC boards or closed (although at the moment there is nothing which is contravening the rules). I do appreciate it is a lot of work renting out your points, especially for us Brits. I was in a similar situation last year. Have you offered your points for transfer also or just for rent - can they not be transferred because of being developer points? I don't really know what the answer is except to say that you are probably not the only one in this position and I wish you luck in getting a renter for your points soon.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

I am going to move this to the UK DVC forum, simply because that's where it belongs.
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

I have been really lucky renting out my points in fact I keep renting out too many and leaving myself a bit short!!!! I have had to turn loads of people down and feel really guilty.

It soooooooooo definately helps if you can mention it on the uk DVC board. Now your post is on this board I hope you get some luck.

Susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
arielrocks

does anyone (mods?) know why we can't have a DVC rent board for UK?

I know you used to be able to advertise your points for rent here - but they have stopped that now
Old 02-21-2009, 03:35 AM   #8
mikki.young
Knows Dreams do come true!

I asked that question when I first saw one of the topics being closed and JimC was kind enough to explain:

Quote:
The moderators of the rent/trade forum and the webmasters decided to consolidate all DVC point rentals/trades onto the one forum. Normally we would delete such threads, but I closed it with the final post to direct everyone to the proper forum.

The sticky thread at the top of the UK DVC forum gives more information about posting rent/trade threads and a link to the proper forum. I suspect it will take some time to get everyone accustomed to the new routine.

JimC
Old 02-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
jns
Tries hard to get the jelly off Jaffa Cakes without breaking it!!!!

Maybe you could word your post as a UK renter looking for UK people
or something along them lines on the main board

let us know how you get on
2007 Animal Kingdom , Disney Magic , Saratoga Springs,NYC
2008 DLRP Santa Fa , Beachclub Villas, Wilderness Lodge ,Disney Magic and New York

2009 BayLake Towers, Beachclub Villas and Disney Wonder 2011 Disney Magic, Mediterranean Cruise, Old Key West2012 Los Vegas, Grand Calf and San Fran 2013 Disney fantasy , Wilderness Lodge and Vero Beach

We now know the secert too!! Trip report 2006 Trip Report 2008 WDW / DCL
jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:36 AM   #10
Bumbleink
Mouseketeer

Hi

We too are in the same position, last year we gained 250 developer points which we won't be able to use. We really want to have a go at renting them but i am concerned for exactly the same reasons you have mentioned. It just worries me with the time difference and the amount of callls that might have to be made, i am really happy to help anyone out US or UK but when i read your post it just raised those issues in my head again. Glad to see that a lot of people have had great success though, o' dear what to do they run out for Disney in Sept and as we are saving like mad to go next year i don't think we can even think about using them in Europe etc..
Bumbleink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
irenep
DIS Veteran

the other place has a uk dvc rental section

Last edited by irenep; 02-22-2009 at 10:55 AM.
irenep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielrocks View Post
does anyone (mods?) know why we can't have a DVC rent board for UK?

I know you used to be able to advertise your points for rent here - but they have stopped that now
The DIS has very strict guidelines surrounding advertising DVC points for rent/trade. For years we flew under the radar here on UK DVC (and that dates back many years to when the UK forums had their own server and were, to all intents and purposes, a separate entity from the main boards), allowing us to evade the rules which applied to our US counterparts. Clearly, that wasn't equitable and, frankly, I'm surprised the free-for-all continued here for as long as it did. There was talk of withdrawing the UK DVC board altogether, but there was an acknowledgement that we really do need somewhere to discuss those issues peculiar to us. My fear is that, if people continue to circumvent the trade/post guidelines by posting veiled adverts, this forum will disappear altogether and that would be a real shame.

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

Now Deb has explained it properly it makes more sense.

As I post here a lot I feel like I really know the people I rent to and therefore we all feel more comfortable. As most people know my circumstances in that DH does not want to go as often as I do many people just PM to ask if I have any points left. Certainly would not want to break any rules. I get a lot of pleasure renting to people i know and have met up with because if I can't go then at least I know someone else can and I can I get really excited for them and feel all nervous the whole time they are away hoping they are having a great time.

Sounds stupid I know but means a lot to me.

Can't wait to get back to WDW myself next July

Susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain

Last edited by mark&sue; 02-22-2009 at 01:12 PM.
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Do you have any friends/colleagues you might be able to rent to? I know I am not going to be using my allocation of points this year so I have given first refusal to one of my clients who is always saying she would like to go back to WDW but doesn't have a lot of money.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #15
Ali and boyz
DIS Veteran

could you maybe use your DP for a short break via interval here in the UK.

Ali and boyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: