Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #1411
bidnow5
DIS Veteran

I think Squaretrade covers damage but doesn't help if you need phone support from Apple I used phone support 4 or 5 times they charge per incident if you don't have the Apple care plan

bidnow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:46 PM   #1412
RutgersAlum
Mouseketeer

Have to say that we've already had my iPhone 3G replaced with minimal charge (US $80.00) for what was a battery issue--and turned into an Apple Says You Have "Moisture" in Your Phone issue... we had to pay US $80, would have been $200 to replace phone.
And since we paid initially with Amex Gold Card, they have automatic Buyers Protection--they picked up the $80.

So, AppleCare + a solid credit card buyers protection plan = peace of mind for us.

The moisture issue is a large issue with AppleCare, though. They don't cover it. I never dropped my phone in a toilet or puddle, but it was determined that it had been compromised due to moisture--and that is why I had to pay anything at all.

For the future for us--we'll stick with AppleCare & our credit card buyers protection--and carry a zip lock with us wherever we go, lol!

GL

RutgersAlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:33 AM   #1413
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

I purchased through Best Buy so I was able to take advantage of their insurance program. A little less than $15 a month but ZERO deductible.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #1414
kellymonaghan

DIS Veteran
Definitely not a woman
Buy his books so he can get a royality check

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamouse View Post
Anyone have a hidden Mickey app they love?
The only "official" HM app is the one based on Steve Barrett's book, "Hidden Mickeys: A Field Guide to Walt Disney World's Best Kept Secrets."

You can get more info at Steve's site:

http://www.hiddenmickeysguide.com
Old 08-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #1415
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

the Genius bar

DD and I visited the genius bar this morning at the Apple store for a major problem with her iPhone 4. Sheldon was so right. Big disappointment.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #1416
Toocoolmom
Mouseketeer

Anyone out there have an iphone application for WDW line wait times. We are headed there in October and I sure would like to be able to see wait times/fast pass times before we walk the kids to the other side of the park. I-tunes list a lot of apps so I am hoping someone out there has tested one and loves it.

Thanks for the help.

Me: Sarah DH: David
DD: Caitlin (12) DS: Aiden (10)

2006 - Sea/Land Cruise in the Bahamas
2010 - Baltic Sea
2011 - Mediterranean Cruise
Planned:
2012 - Alaska
2013 - Mediterranean - Greece/Turkey
Toocoolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:08 AM   #1417
vwlfan
Mouseketeer

I've done a little research about lines apps

and in my opinion the best one with the most features is "Lines". You can get it in the Itunes store or download it from wdwtoday.com.
vwlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #1418
Toocoolmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwlfan View Post
and in my opinion the best one with the most features is "Lines". You can get it in the Itunes store or download it from wdwtoday.com.
Yeah but, is it worth the $11 subscription? It just seems a little much to find out how long the lines are.

Me: Sarah DH: David
DD: Caitlin (12) DS: Aiden (10)

2006 - Sea/Land Cruise in the Bahamas
2010 - Baltic Sea
2011 - Mediterranean Cruise
Planned:
2012 - Alaska
2013 - Mediterranean - Greece/Turkey
Toocoolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #1419
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwlfan View Post
Which one? There isn't one just called lines and there are two with titles that are similar something like lines at wdw and wdw lines.
One is a subscribers app from the unofficial guide people.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #1420
sarahsar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitbos96bb View Post
Which one? There isn't one just called lines and there are two with titles that are similar something like lines at wdw and wdw lines.
One is a subscribers app from the unofficial guide people.
I have tried several wait times apps, and my favorite is Lines (the one from the Unofficial Guide people). There is an active user base of people using the app regularly, which is key for wait times apps, since that's how most of them come up with information. But in addition to that, they have predicted wait times based on large amounts of accumulated data so that even if there isn't anyone who just reported a time, they can still give a pretty good estimate. That's crucial, because it's almost useless just to know that the wait for, say, Peter Pan was 35 minutes an hour ago, given the fluctuations of wait times throughout the day. If you are familiar with the Unofficial Guide, you know that these guys are big into data and statistics, and have been collecting information for years, so their predictions tend to be pretty good. They also include crowd calendar estimates and predictions in the app.

I wrote a review of it here, back when it was still in beta. My post is a little outdated (this was back when it was a web app and not yet on the App Store), but the main points still hold:
http://medgirl2001.wordpress.com/201...ringplans-com/

As for cost, obviously everybody has to decide what's worth it for them. It looks like they've upped the price to $10.95 for a 1 year subscription since I wrote that blog post, but you do get a discount if you have a current Unofficial Guide print copy (or one of their other books-they list the qualifying books on their website at http://www.touringplans.com). I can't remember exactly what I paid, but I think it was something like $7 for a year? Maybe a bit less.

For free wait times apps, the one I prefer is Disney World Wait Times Free from VersaEdge software (they do a nice dining app also). This app is okay, but it is so dependent on who else is in the park submitting times that I just don't get as much use out of it.

Last edited by sarahsar; 08-28-2010 at 10:37 AM.
sarahsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #1421
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toocoolmom View Post
Anyone out there have an iphone application for WDW line wait times. We are headed there in October and I sure would like to be able to see wait times/fast pass times before we walk the kids to the other side of the park. I-tunes list a lot of apps so I am hoping someone out there has tested one and loves it.

Thanks for the help.
If you go and look at all the Disney wait time apps, you'll see the standalone ones get mediocre to bad ratings. The reason is that there is no really good way to do wait times. All of them rely on user input for times which is the inherent weakness. So in theory the one with the most owners would be the most accurate, but again garbage in/garbage out.
If you really want one, I'd go with the paid app from undercover tourist. It is very popular meaning a lot of owners, plus offers a ton of information on other things Disney. I'd recommend an app which includes wait times, not ab exclusive app. UT has one of the best info apps out there.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #1422
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I disagree. I have both WDW Wait Times and DL Wait Times and have always found them to be extremely accurate.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #1423
sarahsar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
I disagree. I have both WDW Wait Times and DL Wait Times and have always found them to be extremely accurate.
Is WDW Wait Times the VersaEdge one? (The names of these apps are confusing, and they change. I could have sworn the icon of the VersaEdge paid app used to say WDW Wait Times and now it says WDW Waits).

My issue with these is not that they're inately inaccurate, but that it just depends. If you are in the parks on a busier day and there are lots of people submitting times, they can be great. The interface for the VersaEdge app is nice, it's easy to submit times, and you can have updated information. The problem is, some days you can be there and you'll notice there are only a couple of people submitting times. If that's the case, the information just isn't that good unless you are lucky and those times were submitted just before you want to know them. The ups and downs in wait times for a ride can be considerable, so knowing what happened hours ago is not helpful. Now, you can make the argument that it's on crowded days that you need these kinds of apps anyway, and there will probably be more people using them when there are more people in the parks, but my point is just that your experience with the app may be based a lot on luck.

I know this is the iPhone thread, but has anyone heard much about the Verizon Disney app which was supposed to allow you to see the official park wait times? From an iPhone, you can see the Disney mobile site which has simplified versions of that - it basically puts the rides into 3 categories of crowdedness. Navigation of that site is horrible and I don't mess with it much, but knowing the actual times the parks post would be nice.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #1424
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
According to the reviews, articles and other sources you would be in the minority on that one. All I'm saying is they are based on user input, so always take it with a grain of salt.

Frankly I'm wondering if Disney will create their own app for this. Would be a good idea
Old 08-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #1425
sarahsar
Mouseketeer

Just for fun, and completely unscientific, here are the current wait times listed on a few apps for Space Mountain. It is interesting to see how a few different apps handle this problem.

WDW Waits (I think the same as WDW Wait Times - from VersaEdge) - 25 minutes - last submitted time was 30 minutes at 10:02 am. They don't tell you when the current time was submitted. 2 times were submitted today.

Undercover Tourist - 40 min - you can't tell when the last times were submitted. They claim over 2 milllion "wait time data points." I just want to say, this is a really pretty app. I got it not too long ago and haven't had much time to play with it.

Lines - estimated standby wait - 33 min, estimated Fastpass time - 2:10 pm
last submitted wait - 40 min, submitted 4 minutes ago (10 times submitted today). I do believe that Lines says its estimated wait is what you should actually wait, which may differ from what's posted. They want users to submit what is actually posted, however. I guess then they do their statistical magic to it. So you get both user submitted times (like WDW Waits) and their estimated calculations.

These are the only apps I have on my phone right now. It might be interesting to cross-check a few others.

Tags
iphone

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: