Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #121
dkostel
Future owner at CRV? VCR? I don't care lets call it Bob as long as it happens!
I have great appreciation for anything that can make me laugh when I'm out in 10 degree weather

Has anyone tried out the iphone version of Steve Soars WDW entertainment site? If it works well that would be a handy little app. I just got the WDW dining app and love it (although mostly it has just made me hungry).
Old 04-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #122
Conolan
The droppy feeling is minimized
West Coast Podcast supporter (in so many ways)!

I have an AT&T Tilt (HTC Kaiser) which I got when the original iPhone was out. The iPhone wasn't really an option for me because it didn't have GPS, 3G, or a discount. A the time I had 50% off of equipment thru a corporate plan.

Now, I am considering switching to the iphone, but was wondering if there are equivalents to a couple of my favorite Window Mobile apps. One is Tracky.

It is a GPS program that uses Google Maps and can create routes and points of interest, etc. It will also record a track so you can see a line showing where you have traveled, and export it for display in Google Earth (great for answering the question "How far do we walk in a day at Disneyland?").

It will show you your current speed, average speed, direction, and altitude. There is a training program for running, that will give you a trainer icon to keep up with, or give you an idea of how your time is comparing to previous runs or a goal you have set.

Tracky can also send your location to a website and update it, so someone can see your location and track in realtime (you can make this public or private). It will also save these tracks so they are easy to get to from the PC and download them to Google Earth. It also can download and display geocache locations within a given radius.

Is there an iPhone GPS program that will do most of these things, especially the track recording? Also, is the iPhone's GPS able to operate while in standby, or does it have to be on with the screen lit for it to operate? Using a GPS program can really suck the battery down on my phone, it would be nice if it could run in the background merely logging coordinates while in the pocket.

Another program I like is Microsoft Voice Command. In addition to voice dialing, you can ask it about your battery level, appointments, messages, and run the media player. This is great for using the phone as a mp3 player in the car. Just push the button and say "Play Pink Princesses of Doom" (future Disney punk band).
Conolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #123
Annette_VA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkostel View Post
Has anyone tried out the iphone version of Steve Soars WDW entertainment site? If it works well that would be a handy little app. I just got the WDW dining app and love it (although mostly it has just made me hungry).
How did you find that app in the App Store? I searched for Steve Soares & WDW Entertainment & couldn't find anything.

I've always just pulled his site up in Safari, but if there's an app, that would be cool!
Old 04-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #124
cslittle999
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette_VA View Post
How did you find that app in the App Store? I searched for Steve Soares & WDW Entertainment & couldn't find anything.

I've always just pulled his site up in Safari, but if there's an app, that would be cool!
Looking at Steve's site you buy the iSilo iPhone app ($9.99) and then buy the eGuides to Go (another $8). This would give access to all three guides. You do need to download and copy the guides to your iPhone. It would have to be pretty slick to be worth the $18 total.

CBR November 2003
WL December 2005
First Trip Home - BWV August 2007
MNSSHP - VWL October 2008
BWV/AKV Kidani August 2009
BWV November 2009 - 20th Wedding Anniversary
BWV/HHI August 2011
BWV August 2013, BCV October 2013
BWV August 2014
cslittle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #125
luke
Señor Mejor

Got bored of it's look again so gave it a bit of a facelift (check out my name instead of the carrier logo, very cool ):

Lockscreen

Home screen

Battery charging

No doubt I'll get bored of it again soon tho knowing me

luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #126
Wireboy
Earning My Ears

I totally love the Kindle application for iPhone. I have been reading eBooks since the early Palm days and have no problem with the small screen. I love buying books and sending them directly to my iPhone.

My kids love to play Topple.

I am also using a new Disney World related iPhone app called WDW Today that shows park hours, extra magic hours, parade times, etc. I just got it but it seems pretty cool. It is fun to just look at the hours and pretend to be there. I think the full name is WDWTrip.com: WDW Today.

Wireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:01 AM   #127
Annette_VA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslittle999 View Post
Looking at Steve's site you buy the iSilo iPhone app ($9.99) and then buy the eGuides to Go (another $8). This would give access to all three guides. You do need to download and copy the guides to your iPhone. It would have to be pretty slick to be worth the $18 total.
Oh, duh...now I see it! Right on the home page. Oops!

That's pretty steep! I think I'll stick w/ just pulling up his site in Safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
Got bored of it's look again so gave it a bit of a facelift (check out my name instead of the carrier logo, very cool ):

No doubt I'll get bored of it again soon tho knowing me

Love the new look, Luke!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireboy View Post
I totally love the Kindle application for iPhone. I have been reading eBooks since the early Palm days and have no problem with the small screen. I love buying books and sending them directly to my iPhone.

The Kindle app is by far my favorite. I can read so much more now that I don't have to lug around an actual book!
Old 04-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #128
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Hi All,

I have a question about your iPhone plans. I have AT&T. I currently have the 450 anytime minutes plan for $39.99 a month. I also have the media basic bundle (for texting and some internet) for an additional $9.99. If I got an iPhone, would I have to change that to the $30 a month iPhone bundle somebody mentioned here? I am just trying to get an idea of how much it'd cost me a month.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #129
Annette_VA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Hi All,

I have a question about your iPhone plans. I have AT&T. I currently have the 450 anytime minutes plan for $39.99 a month. I also have the media basic bundle (for texting and some internet) for an additional $9.99. If I got an iPhone, would I have to change that to the $30 a month iPhone bundle somebody mentioned here? I am just trying to get an idea of how much it'd cost me a month.
I knew you'd come around

I can't tell you what we pay - DH set it all up, plus he gets corporate discounts. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you an idea of the costs.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #130
luke
Señor Mejor

Just downloaded an app called Tuner, and can listen to DIS Radio on my phone now!!

Old 04-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #131
bsbrady
Disney Veteran

Was it Tuner Internet Radio?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #132
bsbrady
Disney Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow1213 View Post
Sorry, about that, it is the transition from 3G to EDGE that makes it drop calls. It is a software issue though, one that Apple has (hopefully) fixed with the 3.0 update that will be coming this summer. If you read in the notes about the software updates, most of them will say something about fixing issues with dropped calls. It did get markedly better with the software version 2 or 2.1 they all roll together in my brain. I have noticed it got worse this last time though I work for AT&T, and I have had an iPhone and iPhone 3G both within the first month of launch. I have also used numerous other AT&T phones, none of which have a problem with dropped calls. Anyway, it doesn't matter how it happens, I just want it fixed.
I thought that I read somewhere that it really wasn't software, that is was actually the chip that couldnt handle it and Apple was trying to fix it with software. I believe it is the infinity chip.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #133
aaronmckie
actual name: Jason
Don't judge me by tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy5657 View Post
My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE APP
APP SNIPER!

It tells you any apps that have gone down in price or become free.

You can also select apps you want and it will tell you when they have gone down in price, or have been updated. It also tells you any apps that have

It saves me so much money
Awesome tip, Gibson, thanks!
We've got a Touch (I didn't need the phone, got a Blackberry for that), but are loving all the cool applications the gizmo has

Oh yeah, we love the WDW Dining app as well, very much worth .99

Last edited by aaronmckie; 04-11-2009 at 10:35 PM.
aaronmckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:06 AM   #134
luke
Señor Mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbrady View Post
Was it Tuner Internet Radio?
yep, that's the one! Not as good as Wunder Radio, but as I say it can listen to DIS Radio so cool!

Old 04-12-2009, 06:15 AM   #135
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbrady View Post
I thought that I read somewhere that it really wasn't software, that is was actually the chip that couldnt handle it and Apple was trying to fix it with software. I believe it is the infinity chip.
That was the speculation back when the problem first surfaced. Further research showed that wasn't the case.

Tags
iphone

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: