Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #1021
sarahsar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise View Post
Question for all you iphone users.
I got a Belkin car kit for the ipod or iphone for Christmas...I have a touch but I am hoping to get a iphone by the end of this month.

Anybody have this car kit? What are your views? I haven't opened it yet...don't have a new enough car to have a ipod/phone jack so DH thought this might work?
As others have said, it depends a lot on where you are. If you have a lot of stations where you live, it may be hard to get a signal without interference.

I use a cassette adapter, which is nice because you don't have any issues with the radio. It cost about $20. If your car has an auxiliary in port, you can also get a cable for that for about the same amount of money. In either case, it just plugs into the headphone jack on your iPhone/iPod and uses the car stereo system as headphones.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #1022
denise
The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page.............I look for dead people....

I have an older one and have never been impressed.Touch volume had to be on full and it just sounded awful thru the car speakers. Got this one because it holds the touch/iphone on an adjustable stand. When I get the phone I will be able to talk using the speaker.
My car has a casette so I could get the adapter for that (my DD has one for her car and it works great) The car we use all the time and for trips doesn't have a cassette or the jack, it only has a cd.
This thing was about $70 so it just might go back to Costco.
DVC Member since 1992, Old Key West; been to:Disneyland;WDW; DL Paris; DisneySea Tokyo; Lunch at Club 33 on June 12, 2005, July 26,2008 & April 12, 2010. Breakfast at Club 33 with the DIS Unplugged and ABD group April 16, 2010. Sailed on the Magic:September 1999; First Disney cruise to Mexico to avoid Hurricane Floyd;. Sept 2-9, 2001. At WDW on 9-11;Sept 2003, First Disney cruise to go to Costa Maya;June 4-11 2005, Mexican Cruise from CA;07-07-07 MED Cruise; July 6, 2010, Baltic Cruise.Wonder: Repo Cruise April 27, 2011, LA to Vancouver, Alaska July 5-12, 2011, Maiden Voyage Fantasy March 31-April 7, 2012: October 7-14, 2012, up the coast of California, The Pixar Cruise First Worldwide Photowalk aboard a cruise ship, October 13, 2012, Magic:Venice/Greece/Barcelona Repo July 14, 2014, Norway/Iceland Repo June 29, 2015
denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #1023
MM32830
DIS Veteran

You also might want to look into replacing the radio. Seriously. Depending on brand of car you have and the type of radio you get, you can get an iPod/iPhone compatible radio for about $150.00. This is a little more expensive than FM transmitters but the quality is impeccable.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #1024
vwlfan
Mouseketeer

iphone battery?

Had my iphone since August. I faithfully charge it every night. But some days, like today it drains down to less than 30% in a half day. I was listening to ESPN radio on their app for about an hour otherwise I was treating it like any other day.

Do I need a new battery already?
vwlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #1025
denise
The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page.............I look for dead people....

Think I will just take it back.

New car is not an option either is a new radio. I can't do a thing about my company car either. I will just use one ear plug still.

Got several pics in company mail of someone who left their iphone docking/charger plugged into the lighter. The charger caught fire...
Their car is a total loss, they are lucky their garage didn't burn down too. Most cars don't have power in the lighter when not turned on but their 2007 suburban did.
Always remember to unplug your charger. Also don't have it plugged in when you turn on your car....

two weeks until I can get an iphone!!!
DVC Member since 1992, Old Key West; been to:Disneyland;WDW; DL Paris; DisneySea Tokyo; Lunch at Club 33 on June 12, 2005, July 26,2008 & April 12, 2010. Breakfast at Club 33 with the DIS Unplugged and ABD group April 16, 2010. Sailed on the Magic:September 1999; First Disney cruise to Mexico to avoid Hurricane Floyd;. Sept 2-9, 2001. At WDW on 9-11;Sept 2003, First Disney cruise to go to Costa Maya;June 4-11 2005, Mexican Cruise from CA;07-07-07 MED Cruise; July 6, 2010, Baltic Cruise.Wonder: Repo Cruise April 27, 2011, LA to Vancouver, Alaska July 5-12, 2011, Maiden Voyage Fantasy March 31-April 7, 2012: October 7-14, 2012, up the coast of California, The Pixar Cruise First Worldwide Photowalk aboard a cruise ship, October 13, 2012, Magic:Venice/Greece/Barcelona Repo July 14, 2014, Norway/Iceland Repo June 29, 2015
denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:32 AM   #1026
Annette_VA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwang9 View Post
I recently stumbled across an app called Dragon Dictation which looks like it will significantly change how I use the iPhone.

Dragon Dictation is speech-to-text recognition software that uses the Dragon NaturallySpeaking voice recognition engine to turn speech into text. It is _amazingly_ accurate. Once you're done speaking, the app produces the corresponding text, and you get a chance to tweak it. You can then send the text to an IM, an email, or to the clipboard.

As someone who has never really gotten the hang of typing with two thumbs, this little app is going to save me a heck of a lot of time.

And best off all, for the time being, Dragon Dictation is free.

-- Dave
I got that app a few weeks ago, but haven't really played around with it yet. Glad to know it works so well!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #1027
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwang9 View Post
I recently stumbled across an app called Dragon Dictation which looks like it will significantly change how I use the iPhone.

Dragon Dictation is speech-to-text recognition software that uses the Dragon NaturallySpeaking voice recognition engine to turn speech into text. It is _amazingly_ accurate. Once you're done speaking, the app produces the corresponding text, and you get a chance to tweak it. You can then send the text to an IM, an email, or to the clipboard.

As someone who has never really gotten the hang of typing with two thumbs, this little app is going to save me a heck of a lot of time.

And best off all, for the time being, Dragon Dictation is free.

-- Dave
thanks for the tip!!!!!

i've downloaded it onto all of our phones and it works really well!!!!!!
saves a ton of time in emailing!!!
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #1028
rn4val
A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes

Thanks for the tip. I have trouble with my vision and an anxious to try it out
rn4val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #1029
momof2blondes
Mouseketeer

I too love my iphone, it is my baby and goes everywhere with me.

I have the following apps:
lose it (want to look good in a bathing suit for our disney trip)
say who lite
ping (works like blackberry messenger)
fstream
eticket wdw
Disney
wdw park hours
wdw wait times
wdw maps
up
wdw weather plus
flickster (great for planning a night to the movies last minute)
to do's (keeps me organized, sort of)
Scramble
urban spoon (great when you want to go out for dinner last minute)
take me to my car (havent used yet)
bejeweled 2
traffic rush
hangman
phase 10 (love it)
falling balls
word warp (love it, but its addictive and then I don't get my stuff done from my to do's list )
free cell
tap tap revenge
brick free
waterslide (anther addictive game, and the kids like it)
penguin 2
cube runner
shrek kart (for the boys)

And I am always looking for new apps, especially free ones.
momof2blondes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #1030
nedac
Mouseketeer

FREE TODAY...

Finger Physics, great game... check it out.

This has me thinking, I am always looking for free apps, good ones like the one above... Is there a thread, or would anyone be interested in starting a new thread just for free apps? Not ones that are free everyday, but apps that are free for one day only, like the one above. Personally, I have been finding 2-3 a week lately. Good stuff too. What does everyone think?
April 2012 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek
October 2011 - All Star Music
October 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2009 - All Star Movies
November 2008 - POP Century
October 2007-POP Century
November 2006 - All-Star Movies
May 2000 - Off-site
July 1997 - Off-site

Last edited by nedac; 01-07-2010 at 12:46 PM.
nedac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #1031
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

Here's your thread for free apps from the Budget Board!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....0#post34903030

Rodney Lisa Kenton Tiffany Kevin Leighton Jayden
Praise2Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #1032
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I just wanted to pop over to let you all know about a really fun app my boyfriend's sister introduced me to over NYE weekend. It's called Words with Friends and totally free. You can play Scrabble with your friends on it. Check it out! Loads of fun!

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #1033
GBShorts
VMK Community Leader
Knows that all the boys want her

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwlfan View Post
Had my iphone since August. I faithfully charge it every night. But some days, like today it drains down to less than 30% in a half day. I was listening to ESPN radio on their app for about an hour otherwise I was treating it like any other day.

Do I need a new battery already?
I think this may have recently been mentioned but just in case you missed it...

Make sure you push the "home" button before putting your phone to sleep using the top button. That way there aren't any applications actively running and your battery won't drain as quickly. If you leave, say, a game running with moving graphics and you push the sleep button, the app can keep running, essentially burning down battery power.

In addition, turn off location services, wifi, and push notifications if you don't need them whenever it's asleep. I leave location services off unless I'm mapping something...and then it reminds me to turn it on before it'll work. Otherwise all it does is suck up juice.

Hope that helps! Another thing they suggest is cycling your battery by letting it completely die and then fully charge it once a month or so. That might help a bit...or make sure you have the latest updates installed from iTunes.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #1034
vwlfan
Mouseketeer

batteries

Thanks GB Shorts

I did not see the previous advice and will certainly follow all your tips. What was troubling was that my wife landed in the ER that afternoon and I was trying to use the phone to contact our daughters and to keep them posted. I was lucky enough to just about get it to the "finish line" to keep them all informed. In the end, and I love the device as much as anyone, it's supposed to be a phone. The AT&T coverages issues and a tempermental battery life could give someone else pause.

PS. Wife appears to be ok. Thank God.
vwlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #1035
LoveMickey
Can't wait to feel the "wonder" of the Disney Wonder!

I read through this thread before and now I'm trying to find the area where they talk about iPod issues. I got to page 35 and got frustrated.

This morning my iPod worked fine. Now I do not have any internet access. I'm getting network error on any application trying to connect, ie weather channel, face book, email, safari.

Can someone help?

Leaving on vaca on Wed so I'm almost in panic mode.

Thanks in advance.

Tags
iphone

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: