Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #961
Manda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
Ok, your 3gs will be faster, have a compass, and possibly have bigger capacity, but other than that there's not a lot more you can do with it.
I won't be upgrading to a 3gs from my 3g, will be waiting til the next incarnation even tho I'm due an upgrade in January, I'll just wait it out

Plus, much better camera with auto-focus feature.

And Nike+ built-in. Obviously, that's only helpful for walkers/runners though. But it was annoying that you couldn't use Nike+ on the other iPhones.

Mostly the big speed jump is the most impressive part. I hadn't planned on upgrading from 3g to 3gs because it didn't seem all that big of a difference. Then circumstances forced me to upgrade and boy, am I glad I have 3gs now, LOL!

The better camera was a huge thing to me. The photos are just so much better than on the previous iPhones (have all 3 in the house, so direct comparison).
~ Polynesian 9/07 - Free dining again! ~
~ Wilderness Lodge 1/08 - Just because we bought APs... ~
~ All Star Sports 2/08 - An unplanned stay thanks to a snowstorm that kept us in Orlando ~
~ Beach Club 8/08 - DS's surprise 5th birthday trip! ~
~ All Star Music 6/09 - Because I can't pass up a discount... ~
~ Bay Lake Tower 10/09 - Bounceback & MY birthday trip! ~
~ Port Orleans French Quarter 06/10 - Star Wars Weekends ~
~ Beach Club 08/10 - DS's 7th birthday trip ~
~ Pop Century 6/11 - Just 'cause I wanna. ~
~ Port Orleans French Quarter 02/13 - It's been a while... ~
Manda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #962
luke
Señor Mejor

Only thing is, as I'm due my upgrade in January, I'd rather wait the extra 6 or so months til a probably next one comes out, rather than upgrade to a 3gs and be 'stuck' with it for a further 18 months.
Oh I forgot about the better camera, knew I'd missed something

luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #963
soxnation
Mom to a Cockapoo!

just upgraded today from my first generation iphone to the 3gs..... the pictures are much better and video is a plus!

Poly1989 CBR1992 WL1997 CBR1999 CS2002 Disneyland2003 GF 2006 WL2008 WL 12/2010

I The Red Sox
colby jack
soxnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:37 AM   #964
mikelan6
World Traveler, Usually Optimistic

Another cool new feature in the 3gs (I think it's new) is the voice activated commands.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:35 AM   #965
katscradle
Left a special sweetness for many PCers in their FEs on the PCC#1

Ok peeps I need your help once again.
How do I get my Acer netbook to accept my iPhone so I can toggle?
Any help would be wonderful.
Thanks!
2007-POR AND FW CABINS
2008-POR-AND BOUGHT DVC @ BLT!!
2009-MAY-PODCAST CRUISE AND SSR
2009-DEC-BLT FIRST TRIP HOME
katscradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #966
belle41379
Disney is my happy place.

Does anyone know if there is a way (other than using Safari) to get the DIS Radio on my phone? I know you can download a free Mouse World Radio app and was wondering if there was something similar for DIS Radio that I'm just not finding.

belle41379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #967
sarahsar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle41379 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way (other than using Safari) to get the DIS Radio on my phone? I know you can download a free Mouse World Radio app and was wondering if there was something similar for DIS Radio that I'm just not finding.
I use FStream and then enter the URL for the DIS Radio in there. It's kind of a roundabout way to do it, but it works. I found the instructions searching on here.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #968
belle41379
Disney is my happy place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsar View Post
I use FStream and then enter the URL for the DIS Radio in there. It's kind of a roundabout way to do it, but it works. I found the instructions searching on here.
Thanks so much! I did a search and found the step by step instructions. I'm sure this is a silly question, but do I need to turn off the "cellular network"? I had to turn it on in order to get the music to play.

belle41379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #969
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle41379 View Post
Thanks so much! I did a search and found the step by step instructions. I'm sure this is a silly question, but do I need to turn off the "cellular network"? I had to turn it on in order to get the music to play.
No, that tells Fstream whether or not you want to use the cellular network to stream the music. If you're not on wifi, you'll need that turned on.
scoot241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #970
luke
Señor Mejor

Quote:
For anyone in the UK

http://iphone.tvcatchup.com/

Live TV on over Wifi or 3g

Very cool, great quality

Just to add to this, for UK users, there's a Sky Sports and News Mobile TV app - can watch all Sky Sports channels and ESPN etc for £6 a month. o2 are offering the first 3 months free so I've given it a go (will likely cancel before they start to charge me) and it's great - good price to be able to watch all live 'soccer' on my iPhone. Sadly tho it works over wifi only, which must be a carrier/bandwidth issue as the tvcatchup link i posted before works brilliantly over even 3g!!

luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #971
spaddy
I swear he would make us ride that over and over

I am looking to get an extra battery for our trip to WDW in December. Sometimes we have over 12 hour days in the park without stopping and I don't want to run out of battery power.

Anyone have any suggestions on an external battery? I am hoping to not spend too much because I would really only need it for WDW and maybe a really long flight.
spaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #972
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Just to add to this, for UK users, there's a Sky Sports and News Mobile TV app - can watch all Sky Sports channels and ESPN etc for £6 a month. o2 are offering the first 3 months free so I've given it a go (will likely cancel before they start to charge me) and it's great - good price to be able to watch all live 'soccer' on my iPhone. Sadly tho it works over wifi only, which must be a carrier/bandwidth issue as the tvcatchup link i posted before works brilliantly over even 3g!!

I am trying out the Sky Player on the iPhone. Very impressed ,though I will not pay £6/month so will probably cancel.

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #973
willis37862
Captain Jack is still my fave JD character
My drool bucket over runth
Stalking pirate

Ok I must admit I have not read this whole thread and I am afraid I don't have the time to right now. But today we went to the AT&T store and talked to them about switching to them and leaving Verizon. Our contract is up next month and we are thinking of switching then. Right now we have an IPOD that we LOVE but at the same time have been happy with Verizon's coverage area though the store here as the worst customer service hands down!

So my question is if you switched to AT&T from another company to get the Iphone have you been happy? Was it worth it for you? Are you happy with their customer service and rates? Thanks for any input.

They can't hit ya ~ Bob Varley
Nichole
willis37862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #974
sarahsar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis37862 View Post
Ok I must admit I have not read this whole thread and I am afraid I don't have the time to right now. But today we went to the AT&T store and talked to them about switching to them and leaving Verizon. Our contract is up next month and we are thinking of switching then. Right now we have an IPOD that we LOVE but at the same time have been happy with Verizon's coverage area though the store here as the worst customer service hands down!

So my question is if you switched to AT&T from another company to get the Iphone have you been happy? Was it worth it for you? Are you happy with their customer service and rates? Thanks for any input.
I think it depends a lot on the service in your area. We switched to AT&T from T-Mobile about a year ago. Where I live, I actually think the AT&T service is excellent. We have great 3G coverage (it's actually HSDPA, the faster form of 3G, and faster than what Verizon now offers), and I have not noticed at all the issues with dropped calls that people talk about in other places. But it just depends on where you are. If you are in a rural area, you may not have that many options for carriers. If you live in a very urban area like NYC or San Francisco, you may deal with all the AT&T problems that people there report, where the network is under strain from the large number of customers. We live in a medium sized city and have been very happy with AT&T. It's not perfect, but I think it's been better here than T-Mobile was (and so much faster - there was no T-Mobile 3G here at the time we switched. I'm not sure if that's still the case).

What I would suggest is that you take advantage of the policy they have where you can get out of your contract if you're not happy in the first 30 days. That gives you a chance to try out the service and make sure it works for your needs.

As far as cost, rates, and so on go, I have never used Verizon to compare, but I always thought they were similar to, or maybe a bit more expensive than, AT&T. One thing that is worth checking if you switch to AT&T is to see if your employer or university has a discount with them. Lots and lots of employers do, and depending on what it is, it can save you a lot.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #975
sarahsar
Mouseketeer

Just saw that the Unofficial Guide people have developed a web app for wait times. It looks pretty interesting - they are including estimates based on their database of waiting time information, which they have been collecting for years. It looks like right now they have opened it up to Unofficial Guide subscribers. I imagine at some point they will charge for it or make it part of their subscription.

Anyway, here is some info about it:
http://blog.touringplans.com/2009/11...le-wait-times/

Tags
iphone

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: