Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 05:00 PM   #871
apurplebrat

Turning the whole world purple!

Finally bought an iphone this weekend. Hope to be adding some fun apps
Old 10-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #872
Princess Janay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurplebrat View Post
Finally bought an iphone this weekend. Hope to be adding some fun apps
Welcome to the family !!!! Dont forget to search the app store for Disney themed apps !!! if you need any help with your new toy feel to pm me !

Swagtivate Group trip: Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party 8-21-2010

I take for a living it helps with my addiction for the mouse
Princess Janay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #873
klam_chowder
Got her own private pool dance on the Podcast cruise
Boy that was one hot run

Fstream/Live 365

to the collective newbies!

Anyone know the workaround for avoiding the Live 365 VIP membership so that I can listen to Dis Radio? I remember someone writing in to the show about it...but can't find the episode...anyone happen to remember?

I'm using Fstream but it consistently cuts out after 5-10 minutes so it's a hassle to keep having to re-connect. Anyone use Fstream more successfully?

cheers,

text
klam_chowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:09 AM   #874
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klam_chowder View Post
to the collective newbies!

Anyone know the workaround for avoiding the Live 365 VIP membership so that I can listen to Dis Radio? I remember someone writing in to the show about it...but can't find the episode...anyone happen to remember?

I'm using Fstream but it consistently cuts out after 5-10 minutes so it's a hassle to keep having to re-connect. Anyone use Fstream more successfully?

cheers,
I've had trouble with Fstream also, but I think the latest version works a bit better. WunderRadio works very well, but it's not a free app.

The link for DISRadio to put into either Fstream or WunderRadio is:

http://www.live365.com/play/dreamsunlimited?tag=terra
scoot241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #875
Manda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klam_chowder View Post
It's under >Settings >General, near the bottom of the screen Passcode Lock.

You can set up your numeric passcode. IIRC I've taken a call while I had it on, after the call the screen went dark. I put it on at first but then don't bother anymore since it's an extra hassle. However, reading that someone here had theirs snatched away while on public transit makes me think I should use it more often

cheers,
Yes, that was me that had mine snatched from my hands while riding the L. The fact that I had the passcode set on it at least gave me a little bit of hope that the bad guys weren't just scrolling through all my information. My only regret is that I had it set to a 5 minute delay - I have it on immediate on my new iPhone. Sure, it's easier for me to not have it lock every time, but I never really thought about a bad person actually stealing it from me before. Now, I'm doing everything I can to be prepared if someone steals it again. It's sad that I have to think that way. Back up often, lock your phone.
~ Polynesian 9/07 - Free dining again! ~
~ Wilderness Lodge 1/08 - Just because we bought APs... ~
~ All Star Sports 2/08 - An unplanned stay thanks to a snowstorm that kept us in Orlando ~
~ Beach Club 8/08 - DS's surprise 5th birthday trip! ~
~ All Star Music 6/09 - Because I can't pass up a discount... ~
~ Bay Lake Tower 10/09 - Bounceback & MY birthday trip! ~
~ Port Orleans French Quarter 06/10 - Star Wars Weekends ~
~ Beach Club 08/10 - DS's 7th birthday trip ~
~ Pop Century 6/11 - Just 'cause I wanna. ~
~ Port Orleans French Quarter 02/13 - It's been a while... ~
Manda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #876
MM32830
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda View Post
Yes, that was me that had mine snatched from my hands while riding the L. The fact that I had the passcode set on it at least gave me a little bit of hope that the bad guys weren't just scrolling through all my information. My only regret is that I had it set to a 5 minute delay - I have it on immediate on my new iPhone. Sure, it's easier for me to not have it lock every time, but I never really thought about a bad person actually stealing it from me before. Now, I'm doing everything I can to be prepared if someone steals it again. It's sad that I have to think that way. Back up often, lock your phone.
If you are concerned about someone stealing your phone and going through your contacts, email and calendar, another option is to sign up for a GMail account and sync your phone with Google for your mail, contacts and calendar.

If your phone gets stolen, log in to your Google account stop the sync. The information goes away on your phone. This only works if you are "pushing" the data from Google to your phone. If you "download" the data, then the data is resident on your phone and this wouldn't work.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #877
Nutty4Disney
DIS Veteran

I have only had my iPhone a few weeks and most everything works fine. But there is one problem and I hope that one of you experts can help. I set up my email to sync with Outlook. My email is AOL. I love being to sync with my Outlook on my laptop as it is so much easier for these old eyes and fat fingers to add my contacts on the laptop. I got the iPhone to be able to get my email and access the internet while on our vaction to WDW. I was waiting to hear about our DVC resale purchase. And a quote from our Travel Agent on a DCL cruise to Alaska. Of course all this had to be done on the one week we were at WDW. So the easy answer was an iPhone. To make a long story short I received all the messages, but could not reply. It kept telling me invalid email address. I even tried emailing myself and it didn't work. Any suggestions? My DD is my iPhone expert, but she can't figure it out my email problem either. TIA.

I have already synced my music from my iPod and downloaded several apps. Love The Weather Channel, Bejeweled and Facebook. It is sitting on my desk at work so I can listen to me iPod...and the Podcast.
Land/Sea 2000 & 2004; All Star Movies 2006; Coronado Springs/Port Orleans 2007; EB PC Cruise 2008; POP Century 2009; AKV 2010/2011, VWL 2011;BLT, BWV & Fantasy 2012; AKV 2013; Wonder to Alaska 2014; BLT & Dream Member Cruise 2015
Nutty4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #878
whodini
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty4Disney View Post
I have only had my iPhone a few weeks and most everything works fine. But there is one problem and I hope that one of you experts can help. I set up my email to sync with Outlook. My email is AOL. I love being to sync with my Outlook on my laptop as it is so much easier for these old eyes and fat fingers to add my contacts on the laptop. I got the iPhone to be able to get my email and access the internet while on our vaction to WDW. I was waiting to hear about our DVC resale purchase. And a quote from our Travel Agent on a DCL cruise to Alaska. Of course all this had to be done on the one week we were at WDW. So the easy answer was an iPhone. To make a long story short I received all the messages, but could not reply. It kept telling me invalid email address. I even tried emailing myself and it didn't work. Any suggestions? My DD is my iPhone expert, but she can't figure it out my email problem either. TIA.

I have already synced my music from my iPod and downloaded several apps. Love The Weather Channel, Bejeweled and Facebook. It is sitting on my desk at work so I can listen to me iPod...and the Podcast.
I'm a little confused. Do you use Outlook on your PC to get your AOL mail? When you set it up on your iPhone what type of account did you create it as, AOL?

Also, what error message do you get and when in the process do you get it? After you click send?
whodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #879
luke
Señor Mejor

Just getting the Walt Disney Fireworks game

luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #880
MM32830
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty4Disney View Post

If you are trying to send mail but can't, most likely there is a problem with the SMTP account. I checked AOL's web site and they state their SMTP server is smtp.aol.com

Check your iPhone's settings. Go to SETTINGS then MAIL, CONTACTS, CALENDARS. Choose the AOL account the scroll down to OUTGOING MAIL SERVER. The SMTP entry should read smtp.aol.com. (no dot at the end of com)

If you are receiving your email from AOL then your incoming server (either POP or IMAP), as well as your user name and password, has to be correct.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #881
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Hi All,

I finally downloaded the latest update with MMS, etc. yesterday, but have been experiencing issues ever since. I had my iPhone plugged in on the charger overnight and by the time I walked out of work this afternoon it was dead. I remember reading something similar happening to another DISer on FB. What should I do?

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:07 AM   #882
klam_chowder
Got her own private pool dance on the Podcast cruise
Boy that was one hot run

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot241 View Post
I've had trouble with Fstream also, but I think the latest version works a bit better. WunderRadio works very well, but it's not a free app.

The link for DISRadio to put into either Fstream or WunderRadio is:

http://www.live365.com/play/dreamsunlimited?tag=terra
Thx a mint, scoot241 - works like a charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda View Post

Manda, I didn't comment at the time cuz I was catching up on the thread and didn't want to bring up an old wound. When I read it I was, I felt so terrible for you and was amazed at your bounce-back attitude. You would have heard a lot worse coming from me

When I first read about your incident, I thought about what I'd seen others use before when I was travelling. They hang their cell phones from a lanyard around their neck. Mostly used by women as it's not convenient to use a belt clip (dresses, skirts, etc.). There's prolly a sturdier model out there for the iPhone; it could just be used during your commute. Prolly not the most comfortable thing to have around your neck all the time as an iPhone is relatively, pretty big. However, if you're sitting down on the subway and holding the iPhone, it shouldn't be too bad. Any snatchers watching would prolly know they couldn't get it. Mind you it might give your head quite a jolt if they tried to get it but that extra seconds to wrest it from your hands and the startle to the snatcher would prolly make him bolt unsuccessfully. Just a thought

cheers,

text
klam_chowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #883
Caitsmama
Closet Hannah Montana Fan!
am planning on getting at least one more

Hi everyone, newbie to the iphone, just ordered a refurb today as an early bday gift to myself.. should be here in 2 days.. which is probably how long i will need to learn about this new toy!!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #884
heartsy77
New BCV DVC owner!

Is their a bigger battery available for the i phone? All I see is an extra battery?!
Old 10-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #885
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsy77 View Post
Is their a bigger battery available for the i phone? All I see is an extra battery?!
The battery in the iPhone is not easily exchanged. There are several versions of add-on batteries for those that need extended battery time.

Tags
iphone

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: