Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #166
luke
Señor Mejor

As in the iPhones push email stuff doesn't include hotmail etc.
I found izymail pretty unreliable to be honest and just set up a gmail account

luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #167
WDWBlaze
Tech Geek by day, Disney Geek by night!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
As in the iPhones push email stuff doesn't include hotmail etc.
I found izymail pretty unreliable to be honest and just set up a gmail account

Gmail will not work with push either unless you go through a intermediate app like mobile me or an exchange server. If you are doing that you could use any email including hotmail. Either way it will not be as good as true push mail service.
Oct 07-POP
Jan 09-ASMu
May/June 09-BWI/AKL DisneyMoon!!!!!
Oct 12 Disney Cruise on the Fantasy
May 14 Disneyland Paris
Jan 15 1st Disney Marathon!!!
WDWBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:07 AM   #168
luke
Señor Mejor

Um I have no idea what that means, all I know is in the iPhone email settings, gmail is an option, hotmail isn't

Old 04-21-2009, 04:01 AM   #169
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

New question here. Can these apps run on a Blackberry?

My DH is freakily against Apple anything (took me 4ever to get a real Ipod).
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:23 AM   #170
luke
Señor Mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousegirl View Post
New question here. Can these apps run on a Blackberry?

My DH is freakily against Apple anything (took me 4ever to get a real Ipod).
Not these exact apps, but Blackberry may have something similar.

PS - the iPhone is the first Apple product I ever owned

Old 04-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #171
WDWBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
Um I have no idea what that means, all I know is in the iPhone email settings, gmail is an option, hotmail isn't

Gmail settings are just pre-set, and all you need to do is input you user name and password. With hotmail you would have to fill in few more lines like the pop3 or imap address.

Other then that there is no diff. Both use fetch (not push) to get email from the server in an increment defined in your settings. Default is every 15 or 30 mins. I forget which. Unless you are running a time sensitive business it should be good enough. It also updates when ever you open up an inbox.

If you don't have your iphone synced with a calendar you could even turn the push off since you aren't using it for email. It would make your battery last a little longer. Even if you have a calendar sync most likely you don't "need" to have push on.

Not looking to point you out, but wanted to get the correct info out there

And for the poster that was having issues setting up hotmail PM me, and I'll see if I can help.
Oct 07-POP
Jan 09-ASMu
May 14 Disneyland Paris

Last edited by WDWBlaze; 04-21-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #172
dkostel
Future owner at CRV? VCR? I don't care lets call it Bob as long as it happens!
I have great appreciation for anything that can make me laugh when I'm out in 10 degree weather

new app

I just downloaded plan.pack.go and it looks pretty nice. You can create templates and populate them with items. Then create specific lists from templates. Just played with it for 5 minutes but it seems perfect for frequent vacationers. Got a lot of 5* ratings as well.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #173
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBlaze View Post
Gmail will not work with push either unless you go through a intermediate app like mobile me or an exchange server. If you are doing that you could use any email including hotmail. Either way it will not be as good as true push mail service.
True. But I find Gmail works just fine on fetch. There doesn't appear to be a very long lag between a message sent to a push account (ie me.com) or my gmail account. I've experimented with cc'ing both accounts on the same email to test this.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #174
Disneybridein2k3
I am and I'm not afraid to admit it
That is AWESOME news
Disneyland Trip Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBlaze View Post
Gmail settings are just pre-set, and all you need to do is input you user name and password. With hotmail you would have to fill in few more lines like the pop3 or imap address.

Other then that there is no diff. Both use fetch (not push) to get email from the server in an increment defined in your settings. Default is every 15 or 30 mins. I forget which. Unless you are running a time sensitive business it should be good enough. It also updates when ever you open up an inbox.

If you don't have your iphone synced with a calendar you could even turn the push off since you aren't using it for email. It would make your battery last a little longer. Even if you have a calendar sync most likely you don't "need" to have push on.

Not looking to point you out, but wanted to get the correct info out there

And for the poster that was having issues setting up hotmail PM me, and I'll see if I can help.
Ug, I feel so stupid. I had my hotmail account set up as a link on the homescreen but you have to log in each time. I wanted to be able to get mail from the mail icon on the bottom of the screen and have it updated when mail is received. It was when I was googling a fix via hotmail that I found izymail. I didn't know there was a way to fetch hotmail without it being set up as a link. So izymail is not needed for hotmail/msn?

If you ever had any doubts about using Dreams Unlimited for your next Disney vacation, read this thread!
Disneybridein2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #175
Renysmom
Just wondering what is going on
Something has to pay for my WDW trips LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkostel View Post
I just downloaded plan.pack.go and it looks pretty nice.
That is one I am going to have to try out... I always have lists all over the place, depending on where we are going.. Would be nice to have one for the beach, one for WDW, one for cruises, etc...

Thanks for sharing

WDW Oct 2005--WDW Dec 2006-- WDW Dec 2007--WDW/Wonder Cruise Oct 2008--WDW March 2009--WDW July 2009--WDW Oct 2009 -- Magic Western Cruise Nov 2009--WDW Dec 2009--WDW Aug 2010--WDW/Wonder Cruise Dec 2010--WDW April 2011--WDW Aug 2011--WDW/Dream Oct 2011--WDW Dec 2011--WDW April 2012--Fantasy Eastern Oct 2012-- WDW May 2013 -- Fantasy Western Sept 2014
Renysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #176
WDWBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneybridein2k3 View Post
Ug, I feel so stupid. I had my hotmail account set up as a link on the homescreen but you have to log in each time. I wanted to be able to get mail from the mail icon on the bottom of the screen and have it updated when mail is received. It was when I was googling a fix via hotmail that I found izymail. I didn't know there was a way to fetch hotmail without it being set up as a link. So izymail is not needed for hotmail/msn?
Izymail is not needed. Just go to email setup and choose "other". Then just put in your info. I checked it out last night as I have not done it is a while. All you will need is your username(inculding the @****.com) and password. It will default to POP3. If you want to change it to imap edit the new account and change the word "pop3" to "imap" in the hostname field.
Oct 07-POP
Jan 09-ASMu
May 14 Disneyland Paris
Old 04-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #177
auroralark
Lives for vacation

I have an iPhone question!

I just ordered mine yesterday...and just reading through this thread I'm already overwhelmed by all the things you can do with it! Anyway, I was wondering if someone could recommend a good case for it? I'm kinda picky about my phone cases...I'd like something that's not bulky, but does a good job of protecting the screen while not at all interfering with the touch screen features, if that makes any sense. (I currently have a Treo, and I ended up dumping the case I bought for it because it was a pain to use the touch screen features with the plastic covering the screen.) I'm not sure if I want something that's see through or that flips back...if that makes any sense. Anyway - if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it a lot!

Okay, back to lurking...

Many trips as a kid! Offsite, CBR, Offsite, POR, All Star Sports, Offsite 3x May/June '07 Disneymoon @ BWI *
Sep '07 @ POR * May '09 @ CR * July '09 @ POP!Disneyland! Dec '09 - Jan '10 * Universal! July '10 * Sep '10 @ CSR
Jan '11 @ Poly * Solo! Oct '11 @POR * Feb '12 @ AKL * Little girl's first trip Sep '14 * Goin' again Sep '15
auroralark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #178
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

I bought the protective film at the Apple Store for my iPhone. It protects the screen and then I have a cover I bought at the Apple store but it doesn't cover the screen.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #179
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Where is the apps store?

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #180
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Right next to Macy's on the second floor.

Why dues someone that doesnt want an iPhone need to know where the Apps store is located, hmmmm?

Inquiring minds want to know.

If you pull up iTunes...there is a whole section devoted to just apps......but someone resisting the iPhone would never need to know that.

Nikki....are you going to get the black one or the white one?

Tags
iphone

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: