Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #1546
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Was that the iPad bundled with the "MiFi" device or whatever they called it? If that is the case, the MiFi could stay home and give you another option. You should be able to "tether" to that as well (it is basically like a hotspot-enabled phone, without the phone part...)
Gee, I have no idea about the mifi on the iPad. It does have 3G.

What are the pros and coms of buying a iPhone at the Apple store hours away vs. the Verizon store a mile away?
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #1547
sarahsar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
The Mifi would be a separate device. You can buy it together with the iPad, but it's another device. If the iPad has 3G, you probably did not get a Mifi, because that wouldn't make much sense.

Quote:
What are the pros and coms of buying a iPhone at the Apple store hours away vs. the Verizon store a mile away?
Probably doesn't make much difference. Even if you buy it at Verizon you can get it fixed if needed at the Apple Store. You can also order from Apple.com online.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #1548
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:

When Verizon first started selling the original iPad, they were selling the Wi-Fi only iPad with the MiFi hotspot, because Apple didn't offer an iPad with a Verizon-compatible chipset. The iPad 2 does have a compatible chipset, so you don't need the MiFi (as long as it is a Verizon version, and you are paying for the plan )

Assuming the Apple Store offers Verizon activations, nothing. Except the Apple employees will presumably actually know something about the phone. I walked out of a Verizon store after the employee tried to explain technically why I had to upgrade to a new far more expensive phone plan just to upgrade DW's phone because it had an "HTML browser", which most all their phones they've sold for a couple years had, including the one in my pocket..."Don't technobabble me...I was on the Internet before you were born!"
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #1549
mainegal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When Verizon first started selling the original iPad, they were selling the Wi-Fi only iPad with the MiFi hotspot, because Apple didn't offer an iPad with a Verizon-compatible chipset. The iPad 2 does have a compatible chipset, so you don't need the MiFi (as long as it is a Verizon version, and you are paying for the plan )

His iPad 1 had 3G with ATT. His iPad 2 has 3G with Verizon. It is monthly pay-as-you-go. He thinks the Verizon works better. So, no MiFi.

The question is... can we both get iPhones and keep the MacBook and the iPad connected and stop paying $27 to the phone company for the land line and the internet connection?

Quote:
.."Don't technobabble me...I was on the Internet before you were born!"
That's telling them!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #1550
sarahsar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
His iPad 1 had 3G with ATT. His iPad 2 has 3G with Verizon. It is monthly pay-as-you-go. He thinks the Verizon works better. So, no MiFi.

The question is... can we both get iPhones and keep the MacBook and the iPad connected and stop paying $27 to the phone company for the land line and the internet connection?
If your landline + internet is $27, it will be hard to beat that with iPhones with tethering plans. I believe that Verizon data is $30/month. That would be per phone, in addition to calling/texting plans. For tethering (letting your phone act as a hotspot), it's an additional $20/month for whichever phones you want to use that way. That adds up. If you need it on both phones so that you can still have a hotspot if your spouse isn't around (and vice versa), you are going to need to pay $100/month in cellular data fees. Also, I think that while the phone data plan is unlimited, they only allow you to use 2 GB for tethering/hotspot. That may be enough for you, but it may not if you are using it as your only internet connection for your iPads, laptops, etc.

I think the better question to ask is where do you need data access most? Some people are out and about a lot and don't have access to other WiFi. In that case, having data/tethering plans makes more sense. If you mostly use the internet at home, you would generally have better results with DSL or cable and a wireless router. Now, your area may be different - it sounds like you don't have the best DSL. I know there are places that have sort of a pseudo-DSL that isn't all that fast. Maybe that is your situation if you are finding that your cellular data is faster than your DSL. You may check into what other options you have there. But if you are looking solely at cost, cellular data is going to be more expensive for you.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #1551
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

Quote:
You are going to pay for wifi in one way or another.

I have seen you post many, many, many, many times that you are attached to your Trac phone and have no need for anything else. I'm not sure what you would get out of an iPhone, if a Trac phone meets your needs.

If you have changed your mind....that's a different story

Are you looking for internet usage at home or in a mobile device?

If you are looking at home usage....you will need to pay an internet provider to bring it into the home and then a router to make it wireless within your home.

If you are looking for mobile usage, then you will want it attached to your mobile device (not your Trac phone).

If home usage is your goal, you will get a better quality signal and therefore faster internet by paying to have it brought into your home, then you will trying to use the mifi feature on your phone.

The "hot spot" feature via your phone uses cell phone signals and is really designed for use when real wifi isnt available. (Ex....using your laptop out of the house)

If the iPad is 3G....then you should be able to access the internet (again via cell signals) from where ever you are (as long as there is a cell signal).

One way or another...you will pay for internet usuage.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #1552
mainegal
DIS Veteran

Ahhh, Kevin! Good to hear from you. Wouldn't it be funny if I ended up with a iPhone?!

The iPhone is not my idea, it is his idea. Neither of us need it for the phone. We both have tracfones. We have to add months to it because we do not talk on the phone enough to use up the allotted 30 minutes per month. My guess, the two of us are on the phone, land line or tracfone, about ten hours per year.

As many people have said, the iPhone is way more than a phone. And that is what has gotten into Stephen. I am thrilled with my iPod Touch that works where ever there is WiFi. But he seems to want to be connected now where every he goes. There is something cool about being in the woods, seeing a moose and posting the picture to Facebook right away. And lots of other stuff.

I am the one concerned about expenses. He figures, why not? We both have jobs, all expenses covered, no debt, and most of all, no children or pets to spend money on!

Curious to see how this all plays out. Stay tuned...

ps - if we do, shouldn't we wait for the iPhone 5?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #1553
Gplo32
Earning My Ears

iPhone Trivia Game

My wife and I created an iPhone trivia game (Disney Parks: Do You Know) to help offset our adoption fees. Let me know what you think!

- Gregg
Gplo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #1554
Echo queen
I like the idea of being close to the action
I had to buy another piece of luggage today and shoes and a floppy hat
The camping trip got a little hairy

I need help

I can not download itunes 10.5 because I get the message "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavalilable." I don't know what it means or how to fix it. Help I want my icloud.

Echo queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #1555
vwlfan
Mouseketeer

I had and still have all kinds of iCloud

Problems. The Dis was very helpful but in the end I had to call Apple. Even that didn't work until I got an excellent help person. Thats my best suggestion.
vwlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #1556
Echo queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwlfan View Post
Problems. The Dis was very helpful but in the end I had to call Apple. Even that didn't work until I got an excellent help person. Thats my best suggestion.
So are you saying you got an excellent help person on the phone from Apple? Or you found one else where? Thanks

Old 11-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #1557
sarahsar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo queen View Post
I can not download itunes 10.5 because I get the message "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavalilable." I don't know what it means or how to fix it. Help I want my icloud.
Are you on Windows? Not sure if this will help, but I found where someone else had the same error message (looks like the thread dates back to 2009, but someone as recently as last month said it helped).

This is the thread:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic248046.html

And this is the Apple support document they're referring to:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1926
Old 11-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #1558
vwlfan
Mouseketeer

It was the apple help line

I needed a live person to talk to but there were three before she figured out my issue(s).
vwlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:24 AM   #1559
njsweetP
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo queen View Post
Try making sure all antivirus software is turned off. This is what I have to do everytime there is an update. I have Kaspersky and I just go to the software settings, turn it off, install update and then turn it back on.

1985 First ever trip to WDW!! 1992 1995 1996 1998 2001
2004 2006 2008 2009 June 2010June 2011 All trips offsite.
njsweetP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:01 AM   #1560
Echo queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsweetP View Post
Try making sure all antivirus software is turned off. This is what I have to do everytime there is an update. I have Kaspersky and I just go to the software settings, turn it off, install update and then turn it back on.
Looking for the off button.

Tags
iphone

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: