Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #1486
heartsy77
New BCV DVC owner!

My DH has the 3gs and wants to save a text from his dear friend who passed 1/2 hour he sent the text. I am so afraid it will get accidentally erased. It is the last little piece of his friend who was tragically killed in a farming accident in August. Is there a way to save it to his itunes?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #1487
bsbrady
Disney Veteran

Unfortunatley No. There are several 3rd party applications that can save sms messages
Old 10-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #1488
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

I'm not sure how to save a text.

He can take an image of it on his iPhone. Press and hold the home button and then off button.

You can copy and paste it and send it in an email.

I'm sorry for his loss.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #1489
bsbrady
Disney Veteran

Yes, but this will only take a pic of that screen, if there are more messages you will have to do this multiple times
Old 10-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #1490
Luv2Camp
DIS Veteran

Is there any way to watch tv on the iPhone or iPad? got really excited when I saw the Dish app, but that's just to manage my DVR and see the tv schedule. I'd love to be able to watch the news on my lunch break! Any ideas?
Old 10-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #1491
MM32830
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Camp View Post
Is there any way to watch tv on the iPhone or iPad? got really excited when I saw the Dish app, but that's just to manage my DVR and see the tv schedule. I'd love to be able to watch the news on my lunch break! Any ideas?
You can if you have a Slingbox (www.slingbox.com). While you have to buy the Slingbox, there are no monthly fees. Really cool device. I use mine all the time. They have an app for the iPhone and the Android.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #1492
Luv2Camp
DIS Veteran

Ooohhh...That's perfect! I'll look into that! Thanks for the info!
Luv2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #1493
Anna114
Pluto Rocks!

I love my Slingbox. I got to watch the Giant game on Sunday at Saratoga Springs last Sunday. I had to make sure I wouldn't shame myself in EPCOT on Monday while wearing my jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM32830 View Post
You can if you have a Slingbox (www.slingbox.com). While you have to buy the Slingbox, there are no monthly fees. Really cool device. I use mine all the time. They have an app for the iPhone and the Android.

5/1988 POLY (Honeymoon) 2/1998 Offsite 5/2002 Caribbean Beach 5/2006 Wilderness Lodge 12/2007 POP 8/2009 Port Orleans Riverside 5/2010 POLY CL (Anniversary) 10/2010 SSR 1/2011 OKW 8/2011 FW Cabins & VWL 12/2011 SSR 5/2012 VWL 9/2012 VWL 8/2013 VWL 25th Ann. w/my boys 5/2014 AKV 12/2014 VWL10/2015 VWL 5/2009 DVC Owners Villas at Wilderness lodge!

Anna114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #1494
wenrob
DIS Veteran

For those of you who have a Slingbox something I've never been able to figure out: Does it take over the TV it's hooked up to when watched from somewhere else? Say DH is watching something on that TV and I want to watch something else from another TV (or my computer or phone) would he still be able to watch what he's watching or would the show I'm watching take over? Am I even making any sense?
Old 10-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #1495
MM32830
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenrob View Post
For those of you who have a Slingbox something I've never been able to figure out: Does it take over the TV it's hooked up to when watched from somewhere else? Say DH is watching something on that TV and I want to watch something else from another TV (or my computer or phone) would he still be able to watch what he's watching or would the show I'm watching take over? Am I even making any sense?
Yes, you are making sense.

The answer to your question is no, the Slingbox does not take over the TV that someone may be watching.

There are various models of Slingbox. They all have a built in TV tuner. That means you can watch live TV anywhere you have access to a computer or a smartphone, separate from whatever someone is watching locally.

Other versions of Slingbox can also control a DVR as well as watch live TV. That allows you to watch anything you recorded on the DVR. HOWEVER, if someone is watching something on the DVR, you cannot watch something different. When watching a DVR, you are limited to watching whatever the local person is watching.

Cool thing about Slingbox is that you have complete control of the DVR. That means that if you want to program it to record something that you forgot to do before leaving the house, you can do so remotely.

How cool is that!!

Old 10-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #1496
wenrob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM32830 View Post
Other versions of Slingbox can also control a DVR as well as watch live TV. That allows you to watch anything you recorded on the DVR. HOWEVER, if someone is watching something on the DVR, you cannot watch something different. When watching a DVR, you are limited to watching whatever the local person is watching.
Okay I was following you to this point, lol. We have a dual tuner Tivo-if DH is watching live tv through the cable card in the Tivo is that watching the DVR or is that considered "live" tv?

If it's considered live then I can watch whatever I want from wherever right? If he's watching something recorded then that's what I will be limited to watching. Am I getting this?

Thanks for your help!

wenrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #1497
MM32830
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenrob View Post
Okay I was following you to this point, lol. We have a dual tuner Tivo-if DH is watching live tv through the cable card in the Tivo is that watching the DVR or is that considered "live" tv?

If it's considered live then I can watch whatever I want from wherever right? If he's watching something recorded then that's what I will be limited to watching. Am I getting this?

Thanks for your help!
I don't have a dual tuner DVR but if you can watch two different shows on the DVR with two different TVs, then you should be able to watch something different on the TV and Slingbox.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #1498
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Right...you need to think of the slingbox as a TV itself. It takes the output of your tuner (cable box, tivo, whatever) just like a TV would, but instead of showing it on a monitor it transmits it to you. I think there is a model with a built-in tuner, but like a TV that tuner isn't terribly useful if you have cable/satellite where you need a separate tuner. So basically, you can watch whatever the cable box/tivo outputs, which even in dual-tuner units can only output one thing at a time.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #1499
Luv2Camp
DIS Veteran

I think I'm starting to understand this! If I want the Slingbox that I can watch the Recorded show on DVR, can I get the Solo model, or will I have to go with the HD model?
Luv2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #1500
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Camp View Post
I think I'm starting to understand this! If I want the Slingbox that I can watch the Recorded show on DVR, can I get the Solo model, or will I have to go with the HD model?
The Solo is fine if you don't need HD (and I think HD can be a bit much to push over the Internet, but I haven't seen the HD model in action) and only need to control the one DVR. The HD unit can have multiple inputs, such as a DVR, cable box and a DVD player.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: