Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Knelson85
Counting down the days until our Disney Wedding!!

Escape Weddings- What do you do for a reception?

Hi everyone!

I am just beginning to plan a late 2010 wedding . We figure it is best to stick to an escape wedding, as we are coming from Canada and assuming not many people will be able to join.

Anyway, I was wondering what people generally do for a lunch/dinner reception. It doesn't appear that there is a lot of help with that when planning an "escape" so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!
Knelson85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Nicsnick
Mouseketeer

I am having lunch at Portobellos at Downtown Disney. I have worked directly with them and we have the patio booked for my party of 11 for a late lunch. We are pre ordering appatizers and then allowing everyone to order what they want off the menu. No dessert because we will have cake and a DP that night!!!

There are other options depending on your budget. It is all about what you are willing to spend!!!
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
A whole new world
Disney Bride

Hi,

I was gunna do Portobello but at the time it was under construction and it looked a complete mess. Plus when i rang them to discuss our booking they couldn't find it. We had ours in Rainforest Cafe. It was really fun. It was great to just have a laugh at the end of the day. We wanted all our guests to feel comfortable.

Prior to 2004 - to many times to remember
Oct 2005 - 2 weeks - Offsite
Sept 2007 - 2 weeks - CBR
Oct 2008 - 3 and half weeks - CBR / Hard Rock, MVMCP
Sept 2009 - 2 weeks - AKL & Dining Plan, MNSSHP
Nov 2014 - DLP Cheyenne
Dec 2015 - DLP SQL Golden Forest

A whole new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:17 AM   #4
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicsnick View Post
I am having lunch at Portobellos at Downtown Disney. I have worked directly with them and we have the patio booked for my party of 11 for a late lunch. We are pre ordering appatizers and then allowing everyone to order what they want off the menu. No dessert because we will have cake and a DP that night!!!

There are other options depending on your budget. It is all about what you are willing to spend!!!
Do you mind me asking how much that is costing?
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #5
disprincessatheart
I was a Disney Bride 4.29.08

We did a 2:30 ceremony followed by the cake and champagne, then took our guests to Narcoossee's for a four course dinner and then finally over to the Grand 1 for a Wishes cruise. All of that was still only $7500 and we had 19 people.

Our guests wound up with triple desserts - lots of cake at the cake cutting around 3:30 or 4, dessert with dinner that everyone ate, and then we sent each of them home with a large container of leftover wedding cake (we upgraded our cake). No one seemed to mind!!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
Knelson85

Quote:
Originally Posted by disprincessatheart View Post
We did a 2:30 ceremony followed by the cake and champagne, then took our guests to Narcoossee's for a four course dinner and then finally over to the Grand 1 for a Wishes cruise. All of that was still only $7500 and we had 19 people.

Does this price include everything, including the ceremony?

Can 19 people fit on the Grand 1?

Our guests wound up with triple desserts - lots of cake at the cake cutting around 3:30 or 4, dessert with dinner that everyone ate, and then we sent each of them home with a large container of leftover wedding cake (we upgraded our cake). No one seemed to mind!!
I think I may do what you did. Sorry to take your idea, but it sounds really good!!!

Thanks everyone for the great responses!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
D&R love Disney
DIS Veteran

We had dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse after our 3:30 pm ceremony at SBP. It was wonderful, the restaurant did a wonderful job of setting up a table in the back of the restaurant and we had excellent service.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #8
Wish on a Star
DIS Veteran

Our wedding had to be held at 12 noon(at SBP) which means after the ceremony and pictures the reception would be around 1:30 or 1:45. I was told that no restaurants would take a large party (btwn 15-20 ) that late in the lunch service, because they couldn't guarantee that we could be seated together.

We are working with a modest budget and my planner told us that we could go to the St. James room at Boardwalk convention center. There is no fee to rent the room and there is a nice menu to chose from (PM me and I can email it to you)

Here is a link to the pictures of the room
http://www.tazfoto.com/webhtml/stjames.htm
Old 02-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #9
Knelson85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wish on a Star View Post
Our wedding had to be held at 12 noon(at SBP) which means after the ceremony and pictures the reception would be around 1:30 or 1:45. I was told that no restaurants would take a large party (btwn 15-20 ) that late in the lunch service, because they couldn't guarantee that we could be seated together.

We are working with a modest budget and my planner told us that we could go to the St. James room at Boardwalk convention center. There is no fee to rent the room and there is a nice menu to chose from (PM me and I can email it to you)

Here is a link to the pictures of the room
http://www.tazfoto.com/webhtml/stjames.htm
We are doing SBP, so that would be great! I don't know what PM means (I am not down with the lingo on this site yet, sorry!). If you could email me the menu at knelson85@gmail.com, I would appreciate it so much!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
SarahSs
Mouseketeer

After our escape wedding ceremony we are going to Ohana. We love the food there, so we knew it would be good. Also, we just wanted something fun and casual so it was a perfect fit for us.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #11
Wish on a Star
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSs View Post
After our escape wedding ceremony we are going to Ohana. We love the food there, so we knew it would be good. Also, we just wanted something fun and casual so it was a perfect fit for us.
I really want to go to Ohana while we are there! I hope we can fit it in
Old 02-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
Lorelei528
DIS Veteran

We are having our Escape wedding at 2:30 at SBP and have booked 1/2 of the Wine Room in Jiko for our dinner reception for 5:30pm. There are 20 of us total. For 1/2 the room it's $2500 minimum. They give you a choice of 3 menu options. We're not doing dessert there as we'll all head back to EPCOT for our Dessert Party in Morocco.

We wanted something quiet and classy yet different. Plus we LOVE Jiko and AKL so we thought this was a perfect fit for us.

There are actually quite a few options out there, you just need to do a bit of legwork here and by talking to your WC about it.

HTH!

May 2014 (BLT), Dec 2013 (BLT/AKL), Sept/Oct '12 (AKV/DCL), Jan '11 (AKL),Sept/Oct '10 (AKL/BLT/DCL/BWV), Sept '09 (BLT), April/May '09 (BW/AKL), Sept/Oct 08 (POP/AKL), Nov 03 (ASMovies/AKL), Nov 01 (CBR), Nov 97 (Disney Village Resort), '87 (off property), '77 (CR)
Lorelei528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
Lynn5700
WOO HOO I will be there

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSs View Post
You're going to love OHANA. I wish we had our Luncheon there.
Lynn5700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
rumrunnergirl
DIS Veteran

PM - private message

Our wedding is at 10 a.m. at Sea Breeze Point. I have scheduled lunch for Whispering Canyon Cafe for 12:30 and we will cut the cake there. We have 4 tables booked so it should work out well.

The next morning I have booked Kona Cafe for breakfast.

We really want to go to Ohanas and may do that later in the week, or wait until we go back in September. I didn't think Ohana did lunch though? Just breakfast and dinner.

Last edited by rumrunnergirl; 04-29-2009 at 03:31 PM.
rumrunnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #15
Knelson85

Thanks again everyone!

It is going to be so hard to choose, everyone's ideas sounds great. I have eaten at most of those restaurants over christmas when I was there, and know they are all wonderful!

What are everyone's thoughts on alcohol? All our guests (including us) really like our drinks, but I know that can add up quick at disney. Does anyone know how much a typical bottle of wine costs? I am thinking it may be cheaper to buy wine from home and pay the corking fee.

Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: