Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
DisGal520
surviver of Hurricane Charley @ WDW

POP Century and your Garmin GPS

Hey there everyone that's taken their Garmin to POP and then driven off property -- -

1) Does it do a good job of getting you back to POP?

2) How well does it navigate ON Disney property?

any disappointments or surprises you had with it?
Old 02-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
honeysuckle_rose
Earning My Ears

I did this last summer on a trip w/ my kids. My DH wasn't able to make it, so I didn't have another adult to help navigate. My Garmin GPS was awesome!! We downloaded the Disney POI's available from mousesavers.com and they were great. So I already had the park and hotel locations programmed which made it very easy for me. We stayed at an off-site hotel for the first part of the trip and at Pop for the second half. We drove to all the parks, both water parks, the Grand Floridian, offsite restaurants and even Sea World.

Speaking personally, it was so convenient that I would never do another Disney driving trip without it.
honeysuckle_rose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisGal520 View Post
Hey there everyone that's taken their Garmin to POP and then driven off property -- -

1) Does it do a good job of getting you back to POP?

2) How well does it navigate ON Disney property?

any disappointments or surprises you had with it?

I have an older Garmin, but I stayed at ASMu, but it did great. I went off site a couple of times and I left by a different way then I came (came from airport was leaving WDW to drive south to Ft Lauderdale). I had no problems navigating. I did not drive to the parks so I'm no help there but from offsite to onsite and back off to shop or leave were great.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Whitegloves
Decorative Artist with the fanciest toilet seat in town
I need a life!
Named my van the Tigger mobile! ;-)
Proud to be an American!

I was just down the first of February. I used my Garmin Nuvi that DH got me for my birthday. It was awesome. I had put certain addresses in before we left and it took me right to them and then back. On the way into the resort I was using my Garmin and my brother was using a Tom-Tom, he got lost...lol...I didn't. On the morning we left we wanted to stop at an IHOP, I typed it in, chose the one at the top of the list and it was so easy. Took us right to it. I highly recommend a Garmin when you drive to WDW.
Smiles!

Whitegloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:25 AM   #5
DisGal520

thank you all

We'll be feeling much more confident now. Since we will use a rental car picking us up at POP.

The Garmin will go right next to the camera in my carry-on bag.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:09 AM   #6
LisaNJ25
DIS Veteran
I paid $300 back in 1992. I had the big Jersey girl hair and all

anyone else having aproblem with pop address not be recognized in their gps. I have a garmin Nuvi also and it says its not found

o 2001 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2001 - Disneyland
o 2002 - Caribbean Beach/Wilderness Lodge
o 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2008 - Pop Century
o 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2012 - Windsor Hills
o 2013 - Pop Century
LisaNJ25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
DisGal520

uh oh

what address did you use?

Was it
1050 Century Dr
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000
Old 02-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

We used garmin on my blackberry during our stay at ASMusic (which is apparently the same). We didn't have any problems navigating, but ran into some unexpected toll roads (and they require exact change, and there is nobody in the booth!)

My advice: Keep at least $5 in change in your car at all times.

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaNJ25 View Post
anyone else having aproblem with pop address not be recognized in their gps. I have a garmin Nuvi also and it says its not found
We were just trying it out last night. Ours did not seem to have Century Dr when we typed it in. But then my DH went to the map and just kept zooming in until he found the road-- so it is in there. He was able to set it as a destination that way.

We're really not too familiar with how to use the thing, but he was able to find it within a few minutes.
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #10
honeysuckle_rose
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzolkin View Post
We were just trying it out last night. Ours did not seem to have Century Dr when we typed it in. But then my DH went to the map and just kept zooming in until he found the road-- so it is in there. He was able to set it as a destination that way.

We're really not too familiar with how to use the thing, but he was able to find it within a few minutes.

That's where I found the pre-programmed POI's from mousesavers so helpful. It has a whole list of Disney related locations already entered. You just download the POI's to your Garmin and you don't have to worry about the address. You just find Pop Century Resort on the list of POI's and it directs you there.

When you go to mousesavers.com, just search GPS and it will find the info you need to locate and download the POI file.
honeysuckle_rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
WICKED WILLY
CRAZY FOR WDW

On The Garmin Thing....

Hey Folks... I Use One All The Time And Sometimes You Must Put The Address In A Little Different... I.e. Use Orlando Rather Than Lake Buena Vista...as The Zip Code Is The Same For Each It Will Default To The Bigger City...
WICKED WILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #12
DisGal520

so funny I was jotting down a few more places to visit (Disney Outlets) when I saw WICKED WILLY's reply.

There is 3-4 inches of snow outside and so I've not taken the Garmin out to the car to program these new addresses in (no house charger).

We so appreciate all the info and tips from fellow Dis'ers.

thanx!
Old 04-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #13
Buckeye Gal
Beach Girl Deep in the Land

I'll just add that I also have a Garmin, and as you already know, I also couldn't get Pop's street address to work.

So as I was researching last summer, I found the global positioning address, which gave me perfect and precise results last September with no problems at all. I'm uncertain if all Garmin GPS models give you the option to enter the GP addy or not, but I would imagine they do because it's used for geocaching hunters!

Latitude: 2820'59.72"N
Longitude: 8132'36.78"W

BTW, if you find you may need this in the future but can't find this thread, know that I did included it in Post #1 of the Pop Century FAQ thread here on DISboards as soon as I found it. So just remember to go there, and you'll retreive the addy very easily!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #14
HsvTeacher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaNJ25 View Post
We had trouble getting our Garmin Nuvi to load POP's address when we were still in Alabama. I waited until I got closer and let it search for the address.

For some reason it didn't recognize Lake Buena Vista as POP's city. I just turned it on to pull up the address, because it's still on our "Recently Found" list. This is the address that it came up with:

1050 Century Dr.
Orlando, FL 32830

Hope that helps!
Once a Year from 1992-1997-Off Site*September 2008-ASMu*March 2009-POP *May 2009-SSR and AKV Kidani*June 2009-Vero Beach*October 2009-AKV Kidani*May 2010-AKV Kidani*June 2010-Vero Beach*June 2010-AKV Kidani*July 2010-SSR*October 2010-SSR*December 2010-Swan*December 2010-DCL Wonder*December 2010-AKL CL Jambo*April 2011-VWL*May 2011-My Sister's House*June 2011-BCV and BLT*June 2012-AKL CL Jambo*June 2012-DCL Fantasy*June 2012-AKV Kidani*July 2013-SSR*March 2014-AKV Kidani

(Me) (DH) * DVC Members (AKV) Since February 2009

HsvTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #15
GOLFDISNEY72
Mouseketeer

sub
2000 Nov Off Grounds
2006 Nov Movies
2007 Nov POR
2008 June Off Grounds/Oct POR
2009 April Pop/May POR/ Oct Dolphin-POR
2010 Feb POR/April POR/Sept POR/Oct Dolphin-POR