Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #271
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

update coming soon

whew! we are just back from a whirlwind 3 day trip up to our family cabin and a HUGE hike (8 miles r/t and 3500 in elevation gain and then descent).

Poor Scrooge was really down in the dumps before we left feeling like "going to the cabin wasn't really going away, or a true vacation" but as I suspected, once we got there and sat by the river...he felt a LOT better!

Of course....the stop by the nearby brewery to fill up our growlers and having a wildcat IPA in his hands didn't hurt either.

It was a blast!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #272
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Glad to hear you had a good time!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #274
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

update shortly but first, a very belated promised picture of the new kitty!

meet Melvin

or White Lightning as Scrooge calls him. It has been an adjustment having such an energetic young kitty again. He's wonderful! Scrooge barks alot but secretly loves him, I can tell.

And the original

Hank (getting in the way of my DIS-ing!)

Hank in a more "regal" state

this is the cast of characters for our next trip!

next, a lemon fritter recipe and a real update
Old 07-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #275
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Sweet Lemon Fritters

I take it back, this recipe is from Croatia, not Capri, 5/02 issue of Bon Appetit, Islands of the Mediterranean

Makes about 7 dozen

1 1/2 c. warm whole milk (105-115 degrees F)
1 1/4-oz envelope dry yeast (about 2 tsp)
Pinch of sugar plus 2 T.
3 large eggs
1/4 c. brandy
1 T grated lemon peel (about 3 lemons)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. salt
5 c. all purpose flour
2 c. golden raisins (1 box)

Vegetable oil
Additional sugar

---------------------------

Place 1 cup of warm milk in medium bowl. Add yeast and pinch of sugar; stir to dissolve. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.

Whisk eggs, brandy, lemon peel, vanilla, salt and 2 T. of sugar in large bowl; whisk in yeast mixture and 1/2 c. warm milk.

Mix in flour.

Using wooden spoon, stir dough 5 minutes. Mix in raisins.

Continue to stir until dough becomes to come away from spoon and bowl, about 5 minutes longer.

Cover dough with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

Place sheets of wax paper on counter (recipe calls for you to put them on baking sheets but I can't see the point of that, it's just staging!)
Dip spoon into oil (have a small bowl nearby). Using oiled spoon scoop up enough dough to form 1-inch mound, Using another oiled spoon, scrape dough off spoon and onto sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, dipping spoon into oil as needed to prevent sticking.

Pour enough oil into heavy large saucepan to reach depth of 3 inches. Heat over medium-high heat to 350 degrees F. careuflly drop 10 dough balls into oil; fry until golden brown and cooked through, turning often, about 3 minutes.

Using slotted spoon, (I used tongs through, worked better) transfer fritters tp paper towels. Repeat with remaining dough balls in 6 more batches (approx). Place warm fritters in large bowl. Sprinkle with additional sugar; toss.
---------------------------
Now what I did was sprinkle with the sugar while they were warm and on the paper towels, just turning and sprinkling so the sugar would stick to the warm fritters better. Serve in a lined basket.

As I noted, my yeast mixture never got foamy but my dough did rise and they were puffy delicious morsels. Or as Steven called them "churro thingies". I don't think they were churro like, other than being fried dough but, he liked them.

If anyone makes them, let me know what you think!
Old 07-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #277
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

A Goofy and Tink photo-safari

When I left off I was being bombarded by three small people asking if they could use MY camera on the safari.

Since Goofy was next to me with Tink on the outside I told them they could take turns. Wall-E, to my right was on the edge and I was just too paranoid for that. Sorry dude, maybe next time!

Let's see how they did! A crash course it taking pictures in a moving, bouncing bus with equally bouncing demonstrations and then I handed it over!

A bit blurry but I can see it's an animal

oops, off on the timing!

a little blurry....

there he is!

making progress

I have NO idea what this is!, a picture of another jeep?

Vastly improved!

The piece De resistance....great job Goofy!

And our happy photographers!

and a happy passenger, he handled it well!

Next...the Pagani trail! We had some time to kill while Scrooge and Steven did their safari so we were off to check out Gorillas!
Old 07-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #278
MEK
DIS Veteran

OMG ..... A Fabulous Update with a absolutely beautiful picture of the LION! Superb. I will read and comment in detail later. Trying to do some smelly laundry now!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 07-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #279
lisalonglash
I have a thing for actors nobody else thinks are yummalicious

Wow! Update-apolooza!

Your kitties are adorable! I should take a picture of my geriatric mama's boy furry baby and post it on my PTR...

That recipe sounds delish! I'm sure it's yummy

Those Christmas Carol pictures are hilarious (and yes, a wee bit creepy)

Goofy and Tink took some GREAT pictures! Amazing shots of the lion, he's hard to get a good picture of! Kudos to them And good for you for letting them try!

Looking forward to your Pagani Trail pictures! We did the Maharajah Trail last time and I put the Pagani into my park plan for this time
Me and dh Ds#1(14yo) Ds#2(11yo)

September 2013 - Disney World w/FD (POFQ)
September 2009 - Disney World w/FD(ASMu)
October 2008 - Disney World (ASSp)
May 2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris (off-site in Paris)
Old 07-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #280
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
OMG ..... A Fabulous Update with a absolutely beautiful picture of the LION! Superb. I will read and comment in detail later. Trying to do some smelly laundry now!
that's about how I feel about soccer laundry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonglash View Post
Wow! Update-apolooza!

Your kitties are adorable! I should take a picture of my geriatric mama's boy furry baby and post it on my PTR...

That recipe sounds delish! I'm sure it's yummy

Those Christmas Carol pictures are hilarious (and yes, a wee bit creepy)

Goofy and Tink took some GREAT pictures! Amazing shots of the lion, he's hard to get a good picture of! Kudos to them And good for you for letting them try!

Looking forward to your Pagani Trail pictures! We did the Maharajah Trail last time and I put the Pagani into my park plan for this time
Thanks! I was thrilled with the lion (and would have been secretly really bummed if we didn't get a good shot!) he was out strutting his stuff!

You should share pics of your kitty!
Old 07-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #282
cjackearl
DIS Veteran

Aw, cute kitties. I miss my fur babies, they both both died 1 1/2 years ago at the ripe old age of 14. Hopefully DH will cave to pet pressure from his family soon, but for now he says no more, and chickens just aren't that cuddly, ya know?

Thanks for the recipe, we'll definitely be trying those at some point.

Wow, the kiddos made great photographers! The hippo and lion were impressive, but my favorites were of the rhinos.

ETA: I forgot to mention how much I love your Christmas picture. What a great looking bunch!
Old 07-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #283
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjackearl View Post
Aw, cute kitties. I miss my fur babies, they both both died 1 1/2 years ago at the ripe old age of 14. Hopefully DH will cave to pet pressure from his family soon, but for now he says no more, and chickens just aren't that cuddly, ya know?
no, I can't imagine they are! I'm sorry to hear about your fur babies. I was SHOCKED when DH agreed to let DS10 get one for his bday. I think he kind of regrets it lol. It's funny, for as much as the man complains, he's the one out looking for Hank if he hasn't come home. Which is why Hank is now permanently grounded!

Quote:
Thanks for the recipe, we'll definitely be trying those at some point.
Enjoy!
Quote:
Wow, the kiddos made great photographers! The hippo and lion were impressive, but my favorites were of the rhinos.
I thought those were pretty cool too!

Quote:
ETA: I forgot to mention how much I love your Christmas picture. What a great looking bunch!
Awww, thanks! It's actually a post Christmas pic from 2 years ago, we got my MIL a photo session as her xmas present since she was out visiting us. We got really some lovely group shots, great ones with MIL, her DH and all the kids but nothing good of the 6 of us

We were in tears at how Hank wandered in and just plopped down like "hello! I'm part of this too you know!"
Old 07-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #284
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Oh my...your kitties are sooooo cute!!!!

Thanks for posting the Sweet Lemon Fritter recipe--yum!! I will definitely be making these very soon!!

Wow!! Your kids did awesome taking pictures!! (the lion and rhinos are definitely my favorites!!) Those pictures have given me hope!! Now if my boys ask to take pictures on our next trip, I just may let them.....well...maybe. I still really like my camera.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #285
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
When I left off I was being bombarded by three small people asking if they could use MY camera on the safari.

The piece De resistance....great job Goofy!

So funny! Safari photography is hard. Fantastic lion pic!!

I'm getting the girls those throwaway cameras so they can take "their own" pictures!

Kathy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: