Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #46
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

I am 100% certain I have traded for scrappers, bootlegs and lord knows what else from CM lanyards.
From personal experience it seems like whatever I trade for in the DTD falls into the unknown range. Some fake pins are more obvious than others. Not that this is not rampart in all WDW property.
As someone stated, unless you buy a pin direct from Disney you really have no way of knowing 100% it is not a fake.
Sometimes a fake is obvious. Many times no difference what so ever.
I go with the philosophy that as long as you like it...
The Disney powers that be will need to do something about this if it really matters to them. I let them be the pin police.
I would not buy pins from Ebay anyway for a variety of reasons. (Although I certainly use to years ago.) But easy for me to say when I am just miles from all the pins I could ever want.
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #47
vorpalswrd
Earning My Ears

Here's the way I see it. Until Disney stops producing pins in China this will continue to be a large problem (as opposed to a small problem if the pins were produced here let's say). Here is a document from eBay. I can't afford a bunch of pins, scrappers or otherwise. So I will stick with my pressed pennies. At least I get to do something besides hand over my cash. *crank crank crank*

Last edited by vorpalswrd; 02-24-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Forgot link to document, as always.
vorpalswrd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #48
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

I looked at the Ebay auction 190288965490. I don't know this seller or know anything about them, good or bad. However if ANYONE offered a LE175 pin in a pile of (what I call) common pins, and for a cheap price, that would be the first clue right there. (HELLO! )

And it could be this person just traded for these pins in the parks like anyone else. The Bad Apple pin, I doubt that very much though on that particular pin. Gotta be a fake. That's pretty much a guarantee there.

Your best bet is just keep what you have and report them to Disney attorneys, as someone else here has reported someone.

I always feel bad for those collectors and traders who have the real pin as it devalues theirs somewhat.

Always just get what you personally want. Not what you think may be an investment. You have to figure on collecting and trading pins for enjoyment only. Otherwise it no longer will be.
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #49
DaveStroem
DIS Veteran

I just got the email address & phone number for reporting counterfeits, scrappers & bootlegs to Disney.

The phone number is 818-560-3300 and the email is tips@disneyantipiracy.com

I have left negative feedback for the seller, and will tonight be filing a paypal dispute as well as forwarding this sellers information and details to the above email. I will not be returning these pins to the seller for her to rip off others.

Unfortunately, I doubt that this will make any difference.

Top 10 Tips for Disney Noobies
RideMax Users Thread
DaveStroem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #50
thelionqueen
DIS Veteran
The Tag Fairy threw me a bone to hear me scream!
My body has finally figured out that it can let go of the fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStroem View Post
I just got the email address & phone number for reporting counterfeits, scrappers & bootlegs to Disney.

I have left negative feedback for the seller, and will tonight be filing a paypal dispute as well as forwarding this sellers information and details to the above email. I will not be returning these pins to the seller for her to rip off others.

You DID make a difference!!! Thank you for doing what you did, you rock!!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #51
junebugTN
Mouseketeer

Spread your own Disney magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelionqueen View Post
There is no question that the pins can be traded at WDW, they can. It's been posted here several times that the fakes are hard to spot even for CM's, so I hope that clears up the question of "can they be traded"..YES they can. The issue is SHOULD they be traded, my OPINION is a definite NO.

The affect of your children trading with a "serious" trader or a CM is not the issue. I let my kids trade for whatever they want. And my sons usually pick ones that are the least desirable..so be it, they are desireable to them. The issue here is the damage to pin trading in general. It doesn't matter who you trade with, fake pins infiltrate the entire pin trading community in the worst possible way.
Well said, lionqueen. It breaks my heart when I hear parents say, "well my kids aren't serious traders, so it doesn't matter..." Remember that the pins you trade do go from the CM's lanyard to be traded to other kids at Disney. Do you really want to knowingly distribute pins to other children when you know in your heart that they're scrappers?

My daughter traded for some pins off of CM lanyards that, when she tried to trade them later, the next CM explained that they were fakes. The CM handled it well, but it was still an un-magical moment.

I know this sounds corny, but my favorite part of visiting Disney is the magic and innocence of the whole place. I hope those parents that knowingly trade suspicious pins will reconsider and keep the experience magical for ALL the kids.

June
Old 02-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #52
junebugTN
Mouseketeer

You did the right thing, Dave

Quote:

Dave, I also wanted to say thanks for doing this. I REALLY appreciate that you didn't take the easy way out and just trade the pins. I hope that you are rewarded with lots of magical moments on your upcoming trip!

June
Old 02-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #53
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelionqueen View Post
You DID make a difference!!! Thank you for doing what you did, you rock!!
Totally agree!!

Quote:

It may not feel that you have done much, but you have. If enough people get their money back from paypal for non-authentic pins then it will put them out of business. Have a magical trip and have fun with pin trading. We haven't really gotten to pin trade on trip before b/c we just didn't have the extra money. For this next trip I am saving money just for that purpose.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:49 PM   #54
mareed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebugTN View Post
My daughter traded for some pins off of CM lanyards that, when she tried to trade them later, the next CM explained that they were fakes. The CM handled it well, but it was still an un-magical moment.
June
I'm curious as to whether the CM explained how they knew they were fakes... As I've said, I certainly haven't ever been able to tell anything different about pins I've purchased or traded, so I am curious what it was that the CM saw that made them determine they were fake. For knowledge sake, I really would like to know how to tell. It sounds to me like it was more a case of a grumpy CM, and we all know that unfortunately, there are a few of those around...

On a similar note, my DS really wanted a pin that I could tell was damaged in that it had a sort of hole in it where another piece should have been. He traded the CM for it, and has now decided that he no longer wants it and is putting it back into our "trader" bag. I don't feel right trading that back, and I expect the CM wouldn't accept it as it's obviously damaged, but he DID get it originally from a CM. My other DS traded for a silver monorail pin that originally had a name at the bottom, but that someone had done a pretty good job of polishing off the name. (Pins with names aren't tradeable.) I wouldn't feel right trading back that pin either because even I can tell that it's been altered (i.e. damaged). I suspect someone bought these really cheaply on clearance and polished off the names and then sold them as traders. These 2 examples are pins that clearly shouldn't be traded to me, but I have a much harder time with the concept of scrappers where you can't tell the difference.

I realize that most on this thread think I'm an evil thief, but I'm honestly interested in learning what it is that distinguishes a scrapper... Educate me!
DCL Magic: Nov 12, Mar 13 - Wonder: Sept/Nov 13, Feb 14 B2B
RC Cruise: Jun 14

mareed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #55
ttbell
Earning My Ears

Quote:

The phone number is 818-560-3300 and the email is

Thanks Dave! I will forward my sellers info to Disney as well.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #56
DaveStroem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareed View Post
I'm honestly interested in learning what it is that distinguishes a scrapper... Educate me!
This is another bogus pin that I found in this lot.

The pin on the left, is from pinpics.com and the one on the right is the one that she sent to me.

Notice that the fake pin does not have the Disney logo in the bubble on the left of the pin. This is a 2009 pin, so they are getting the fakes out fast. This was a pretty easy spot if you can compare them side by side. The trouble is, would you know that the one on the right was not correct if you looked at it by itself.

RideMax Users Thread
Old 02-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #57
mareed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is another bogus pin that I found in this lot.

The pin on the left, is from pinpics.com and the one on the right is the one that she sent to me.

Notice that the fake pin does not have the Disney logo in the bubble on the left of the pin. This is a 2009 pin, so they are getting the fakes out fast.
That is interesting! Thanks for sharing it. The one you received does look odd that it has the bubble without anything in it. I don't recall seeing anything obvious like this in any that I've seen.
DCL Magic: Nov 12, Mar 13 - Wonder: Sept/Nov 13, Feb 14 B2B
RC Cruise: Jun 14

mareed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #58
karrit2000
DIS Veteran

Dave,

I have to thank you too for making the effort to report your experience to Disney & Paypal about the purchase you made. I'm sorry you ended up with the bogus pins. Until Disney takes a stand and polices their own events to try to shield the rest of us from the bad pins nothing much will change. They created this monster and from what those of us who have been collecting for years can see nothing is going to change anytime soon. But each time one of the baddies gets reported at least we are one step closer to making it better for everyone. Please don't let this experience turn you off the whole pin trading experience. As others have said, spend what you can afford to but buyer beware. I'm still trading but I usually only do so with cast members and at official pin trading events. I'm not into the whole DTD Pin Trader scene either at WDW or DL. The sharks who camp there spoil it for the legitimate honest traders and I don't have the patience to attempt to deal with each one to determine who is fair & who isn't. Happy Pin Trading.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #59
DaveStroem
DIS Veteran

Good news. The seller just refunded my money and requested that I not file an Ebay dispute. At this point, I don't even think I can as I now have no loss other then time and anguish.

RideMax Users Thread
Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #60
vorpalswrd
Earning My Ears

Devil's Advocate here: If (at least some) CM's can so easily tell scrappers why doesn't Disney have them NOT put them on their lanyard? Other than obvious fakes (like the one on his page) most experts agree that unless you have both pins and a discerning eye you can't tell.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: