Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #16
ttbell
Earning My Ears

So I requested documentation from the seller and his response: He wants ME to provide documentation showing that the pins are not authentic.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #17
WDWTigger72
C.E.O. Walt Disney World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbell
So I requested documentation from the seller and his response: He wants ME to provide documentation showing that the pins are not authentic.
Well, That makes things easy regarding whether they are a trusted seller or not. I have traded pins just recently to another senior pin collector, and they asked me if I had the pin backings or receipts. Now, I hadn't collected pins since back in 2002 arena, and I was a little bit shocked by this question/request. Luckily, I had all the pin backings still and the receipts from all my purchases. It was easy enough for me to scan the receipts and remove things like my credit card info that maybe left on it, and having the pin backings just closed the deal. Most will only ask for pin backings! Remember these senior pin collectors see it as a serious hobby and investment so that is why pin backings are usually requested. If this seller cannot even provide you this then you know what you have possibly received.
1997 Onsite – Disney's Wilderness Lodge
2000 Offsite – Sierra Suites
2000 Onsite – Disney's Port Orleans Riverside
2001 Onsite – Walt Disney World Swan
2002 Onsite – Disney's Caribbean Beach.
2002 Onsite – Disney's Wilderness Lodge
2002 Onsite – Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter
2005 Onsite – Walt Disney World Dolphin
2006 Onsite – Walt Disney World Swan
2007 Onsite – Disney's Saratoga Springs and Yacht Club
2009 Onsite – Disney's Polynesian Resort
WDWTigger72 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #18
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

If you have any trouble getting the ebay seller to contact you back, and you paid through paypal, you can get your money back through them. Just contact paypal and let them know that the pins are authentic pins. Also threaten them with giving them negative feedback. Some sellers aren't paying much attention to it anymore, but some still are. The way they have it set up, you can give a seller a negative, but the seller can't give you one. Then you can offer to send the pins to Disney legal for them to help the case against the ebay seller. I would contact ebay and Disney legal about this person. I am sure Disney has someone that can authenticate the pins, and having the actual pins will help the case. This person is not only bad for Disney pin trading, but for the honest ebay sellers (like my mom).

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #19
ttbell
Earning My Ears

What exactly is a pin backing? Is it the plastic piece the pin is attached to when you buy?

Last edited by ttbell; 02-23-2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: More detail
ttbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #20
Disnsyncey
Disney Princess

aw man, I was all excited to get some pins from ebay to trade next time we're in the parks!!

Since 1990, CBR, GF, CSR, ASSp, Newport Bay Club-DLRP, WL, Poly, Contemporary, AKL, POR, POFQ, POP

Disnsyncey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #21
DaveStroem
DIS Veteran

I did hear back from her. She claims to be a "fellow pin trader" that gets her pins from Disneyland and other pin traders. She apologized for the one pin that I was able to identify as being a scrapper but insisted that I return the pins if I want a refund. (so she can sell them to the next dupe).

I have gone over many of the others and have notice upon close inspection things like a small dimple in the enamel or missing enamel in a small section.

I can't understand how Ebay and Disney let this go on. There are tons and tons of these pin lots all over the Internet. Selling these counterfeit pins is a crime. Once they mail them using USPS like mine came, I believe it elevates to a federal crime.

This whole pin trading mess has given me a massive headache and is about as far away from Magical as you can get.

Top 10 Tips for Disney Noobies
RideMax Users Thread
DaveStroem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:36 PM   #22
WDWTigger72
C.E.O. Walt Disney World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbell
What exactly is a pin backing? Is it the plastic piece the pin is attached to when you buy?
Yes, Its usually that black plastic card that has the price of the pin and sku number on the back of it.
1997 Onsite – Disney's Wilderness Lodge
2000 Offsite – Sierra Suites
2000 Onsite – Disney's Port Orleans Riverside
2001 Onsite – Walt Disney World Swan
2002 Onsite – Disney's Caribbean Beach.
2002 Onsite – Disney's Wilderness Lodge
2002 Onsite – Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter
2005 Onsite – Walt Disney World Dolphin
2006 Onsite – Walt Disney World Swan
2007 Onsite – Disney's Saratoga Springs and Yacht Club
2009 Onsite – Disney's Polynesian Resort
WDWTigger72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #23
DaveStroem
DIS Veteran

My other concern, is if I return these pins and purchase pins in the park for the kids to trade, what will keep them from getting junk pins from a CM's lanyard.

Disney needs to figure out a better way to control this. Also, why doesn't Disney put the pins # on the back of them?

RideMax Users Thread
Old 02-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #24
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

OK, so mine might be "scrappers" since I bought them on E-bay. However, I do know that he ones I got are all really high quantity runs that go for pennies on the open market whether they are real or fake.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #25
ttbell
Earning My Ears

This seller is just giving me a run around and honestly it's too much of a headache to pursue this. While he took down the previous item (which I bought), here is the next lot he/she has up. Note: My pins did not come from this particular lot. But maybe you can tell if he's on the up and up?
ebay item #190288965490 (can't post the link, only 7 posts so far)
I think #50 is the Bad Apple pin!

Last edited by ttbell; 02-23-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: more detail
ttbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #26
DaveStroem
DIS Veteran

It sure is. Hmmm, LE of 175 and they are showing up everywhere. LOL

RideMax Users Thread
Old 02-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #27
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStroem View Post
I did hear back from her. She claims to be a "fellow pin trader" that gets her pins from Disneyland and other pin traders. She apologized for the one pin that I was able to identify as being a scrapper but insisted that I return the pins if I want a refund. (so she can sell them to the next dupe).

I have gone over many of the others and have notice upon close inspection things like a small dimple in the enamel or missing enamel in a small section.

I can't understand how Ebay and Disney let this go on. There are tons and tons of these pin lots all over the Internet. Selling these counterfeit pins is a crime. Once they mail them using USPS like mine came, I believe it elevates to a federal crime.

This whole pin trading mess has given me a massive headache and is about as far away from Magical as you can get.
Honestly as long as Ebay is getting their money, I don't think they really care. They don't like to get involved with disputes between sellers and buyers. It would really be better to get Disney legal involved and get your money back through paypal. An unhonest seller isn't going to come out, and admit that they are anything other than authentic.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 02-24-2009, 12:40 AM   #28
lacrosse_lady72
I <3 Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
Honestly as long as Ebay is getting their money, I don't think they really care. They don't like to get involved with disputes between sellers and buyers. It would really be better to get Disney legal involved and get your money back through paypal. An unhonest seller isn't going to come out, and admit that they are anything other than authentic.
I agree. It's unfortunate and appauling but I don't forsee anything changing anytime soon.

WDW: JULY/AUGUST 2002, MARCH 2004, MARCH/APRIL 2005, SEPTEMBER 2006, SEPTEMBER 2007, SEPTEMBER 2008, SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, SEPTEMBER 2011, SEPTEMBER 2013, SEPTEMBER 2015
DLR: APRIL 1998, DECEMBER 2005, JANUARY 2012, JANUARY 2013

lacrosse_lady72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #29
letthewookiewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosse_lady72 View Post
I agree. It's unfortunate and appauling but I don't forsee anything changing anytime soon.
I don't either. My mom and I saw a lot of good honest sellers ran off of Ebay b/c they didn't like the changes that Ebay made. My best suggestion for anyone buying anything off of Ebay, is to ask before bidding if the seller can prove that the item they are selling is authentic and to save the response they give you. The only Disney thing that I bought off of Ebay were antenna balls and I bought off of someone with over 10k feedback.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #30
ctaci
Mouseketeer

Thanks for this thread. DS10 got 6 pins while down in WDW last week and came home wanting more off of ebay.. he must have heard it from the world that they were on ebay as well. I told him I wouldnt get him the pins off of ebay because part of the pin trading experience is just that -- the experience.

Ill get him some pins when I go down. Ill take his laynard that he started and buy some more and maybe also trade while Im there. Itll be a collaborative effort.

3/1/09 Coronado Springs with my husband
2/26/11 All Star Music with family - first trip for my 3yo and my MIL!
ctaci is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: