Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2009, 04:49 AM   #76
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Day 8: “Super Bowl Sunday…was it crowded?”

I had heard about how crowded it was going to be around Super Bowl time, being that it was held in Tampa this year. The only day we really noticed it more crowded was at Animal Kingdom today. But it wasn’t real bad, just a bit more crowded in the afternoon. We did run into a lot of Brazilian tour groups, which contributed, I’m sure. Really, it was not bad at all.

We spent another day at Animal Kingdom. I really love this park! (Have I mentioned that before? ) We rode Everest first thing. When we were walking in, we saw multiple Brazilian tour groups. Bummer. We knew they were going to head first thing to Everest. That’s where we were headed, too. I knew there were two ways to get to Everest…through Asia, or through the Dinosaur area. We watched where they were headed, and we went the other way. They went through the Dinosaur area, so we walked quickly through Asia. As soon as we crossed over the bridge heading to Everest, we saw the tour groups on the other bridge, by the “Finding Nemo” show. There were at least 60 kids in the group, so we almost ran to try to beat them to the ride entrance. We literally ran the last few yards, and got there “just” in the nick of time before the entire group descended on the ride.

So that meant they were directly behind us in the line. Now, I’ve been reading the DIS for a long time, and I’ve actually encountered Brazilian tour groups on earlier trips. But I had not heard the chanting before. They started chanting right behind us in line. It was loud. It was obnoxious. The most annoying thing is, the leader, who was not much older than the kids himself, was leading the chanting. The people in line were getting pretty annoyed. Finally, a cast member came over and told them they had to stop chanting. Other people in line actually clapped.

Here's a link to a video of them chanting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhAtKHn88Xw

The ride was great, as usual. I forget how many times we rode it. I love that ride!

We then headed back over to the Safari. I love that ride, too! My kids are very nice and let me go on the Safari over and over.

We also did the walking trails. They were virtually empty, even with more people at Animal Kingdom today. I guess Brazilian teenagers aren’t interested in looking at the animals!

I do have to say, there were also a lot of dance team competition girls there as well. But they were perfectly behaved, and quite pleasant. They did have smaller groups and more chaperones. No problems with them at all.

We had lunch at the Yak and Yeti counter service place. We really liked this lunch. We went there a few times on the trip.

We saw the Worlds of Flight again, and then headed over to the “Festival of the Lion King.” I really enjoy this show. It is so lively and upbeat, and colorful.

We also found a new place to get mochas, and frozen mocha frappuccinos…at the Royal Anandapur Tea Company. We went there several times this trip. Very, very good if you’re looking for ‘real’ coffee.

We stayed to watch the parade. I like this one a lot, because I like the music.

Since it was more crowded and the park closed early, we just headed back to the hotel. We rested, ate dinner (I got the Chicken Penne Pasta again!), let the kids swim, watched the end of the Super Bowl, and went to bed early.

Day 9: “Man, we need a day off…”
Old 03-18-2009, 04:56 AM   #77
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Double post

Last edited by blestmom; 04-01-2009 at 04:19 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2009, 05:29 AM   #78
torsie24
Or I could call it the postalabration
Now I know to wear flip flops!
Got engaged on a trip to Disneyland Paris

Love your TR!! Beautiful photos, I love the one of the Tiger!!

WDW: 1994-I Drive / 2009-AKL / 2011-Disney Wedding -AKL-GF RPC-BW-BLT
DLRP 1997-HNY / 2000-SL / 2008-SL / 2009-DLH / 2012-HNY
DLR: 2005-Day Trip
Old 03-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #79
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear you like the parade. It's the one parade we're going to try to see so hopefully Madeline will like it.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #80
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

Gosh, don't even get me started about the chanting of the Brazilian tour groups. Ack!

In July, we were in line for Kali (two groups were right behind us) while they were chanting and a CM, curious as to what this noise was, did a little shriek when she saw all of the singing teenagers.

Your pictures are absolutely amazing. Really. I'm really enjoying this TR so far!
Mom, My Hand's Smell--A First Timer's Trip Report--Now Complete
Old 03-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #81
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blestmom View Post

So that meant they were directly behind us in the line. Now, I’ve been reading the DIS for a long time, and I’ve actually encountered Brazilian tour groups on earlier trips. But I had not heard the chanting before. They started chanting right behind us in line. It was loud. It was obnoxious. The most annoying thing is, the leader, who was not much older than the kids himself, was leading the chanting. The people in line were getting pretty annoyed. Finally, a cast member came over and told them they had to stop chanting. Other people in line actually clapped.

Here's a link to a video of them chanting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhAtKHn88Xw

In the times we've been we have seen the groups but never the chanting either. My DD3 just saw the video with me and she asked if they were having a parade? LOL

Tim
Old 03-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #82
wonderlanne
NO TEA FOR YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blestmom View Post
Day 8: “Super Bowl Sunday…was it crowded?”

amaing photos again...i LOVE the big kitty photo!!!

i'm also a fan of the royal anandapur cart, where my fave rave is the chai freeze...really perfect for those very hot days.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #83
MagicShell
DIS Veteran

Thanks for more beautiful pictures. I love Everest as well, I could ride it all day.

Me DH DD DS
Old 03-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #84
Tbelle1976
DIS Veteran

Just read all off your trip report so far...can't wait to hear more.

Subscribing!
Old 03-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #85
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Day 9: “Man, we need a day off…”

*Sorry for the delay with the trip report. I have an important job that is very demanding…that of ‘chauffeur’ for my children. Since my son is now playing dual sports of both baseball and track, I rarely am out of my minvan.

This is going to be a much shorter day to report, because we actually did take a day off. Well, kind of.

“Princess,” being the typical teenager she is, really wanted a day of internet to talk with her friends back home. She’s been pretty tolerant this trip with doing what others wants, so I thought this to be a reasonable request. Besides, it was cold and rainy all day.

So after we lounged around for awhile, checking emails and watching Disney t.v., the rest of us were getting a little antsy. We decided we would head over to Epcot and do all the quieter (i.e., boring) things “Princess” would have no interest in.

“Sweetness” and “Mr. Energy” put on their ponchos, and away we went.

We spent some time at Innoventions. The kids did the “be in your own video” thing again, were part of show on velcro (?)

and they did the “Where’s the Fire?”

We road Soarin’ and went on Spaceship Earth yet again.

For lunch, “Sweetness” and I shared a ham and cheese quiche from the bakery in France,

while “Mr. Energy” had really wanted to try the fish and chips.

The rain hadn’t let up, so we rode the bus back to Pop Century, and we just relaxed. We ordered a pizza from the food court, and watched t.v. It was a very relaxing and much needed day of rest. We went to bed early, ready to hit Disney Studios in the morning.

Day 10: “Now THIS is what it’s all about!”
Old 03-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #86
Tbelle1976
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a very relaxing day. We would have loved to stay in our room on our last trip for a little while, but the kids kept us running every day for 9 days straight!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #87
MagicShell
DIS Veteran

Rest at Disney? I didn't know that was possible. We never stay long enough for rest. I feel like we have to go all day to be able to do the things we want to do. I am glad you got to rest though.

Me DH DD DS
Old 03-31-2009, 10:43 PM   #88
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Day 10: “Now THIS is what it’s all about!” (part 1)

After a nice relaxing day yesterday, we are ready to hit Disney Studios today. It is “Sweetness” favorite park. We get up bright and early, and get to the park at opening. We go straight to Toy Story Mania, and get Fastpasses.

We then ride the attraction, and when we come out, it is time for our Fastpasses, so we ride again!

We then got Fastpasses for a third ride later that afternoon.

We rode Rock-n-Roller Coaster. “Sweetness” got some drumsticks as a souvenir for her brother at home in college, since he wore out his first pair playing Rock Band.

We then went on the “Great Movie Ride.” I have officially lost count of how many times we’ve been on the ride this trip. For “Sweetness,” it is never enough.

Very low crowds again…and a gorgeous day.

We proceeded to one of my favorite attractions, and amazingly, one of “Mr. Energy’s” as well…”One Man’s Dream.” Now...this is what it's all about.

We spent a long time in here. I think this is such a treasure. It really makes you appreciate all that Walt Disney envisioned, and really makes the trip much more meaningful. “Princess” was a tad bit bored, but she was a real trooper, and let the rest of us really take our time exploring. “Mr. Energy” is just that…full of energy. But he has this insatiable curiosity of how thing work. He is especially enamored with how Disney rides work. He has watched the History Channel DVD on Disney over and over, and really is fascinated by how animatronics work, and how they make certain rides. One day, I hope he can have lunch with an Imaginear. He’d love it!

Walt Disney's desk & office:

An Imaginears desk:

Original Mickey Mouse club memorabilia:

Model of Adventureland:

Animatronic Abraham Lincoln:

Mr. Energy was just fascinated with this!

Model of Tokyo Disney:

Model of Tower of Terror: (I love "Princess's" reflection in the glass pondering this...this is one of her favorite rides)

A model of the track for Peter Pan:

We then headed over for lunch at the Backlot Express. While we were eating, we were fortunate enough to be able to see the High School Musical 3 Show.

“Princess” then was a real trooper again, and endured the “Lights, Motors…Action!” show for “Mr. Energy’s” sake. It isn’t her favorite show. But he loves it. Unfortunately, he was looking the most forward to seeing the guy get on fire, and then getting put out. But it malfunctioned this time around. Bummer.

We then went on “Star Tours” and then over to the “Jedi Training Academy.” We had never seen this before. We had no idea of the attempts people will go to in order to get picked for the show. One lady said they had come to every show that day. Finally, her son got picked. She was so relieved they didn’t have to try anymore. In another family, one girl got picked, but not the brother. He ran off in tears. We just enjoyed the Jedi Trainer so much. He was so funny! Really, really funny!

Last edited by blestmom; 04-01-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:49 PM   #89
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Day 10: “Now THIS is what it’s all about!” (part 2)

Following this, we headed over to watch the “Block Party Bash."

Now, I wouldn’t necessarily say that I didn’t like it, but I didn’t quite get it. I didn’t at first get the concept of it just stopping and being a block party, instead of a typical parade. It was…interesting.

“Sweetness” and “Mr. Energy” got to dance a bit.

Those performers in the parade worked really hard.

We then headed over to the “Beauty and the Beast” show. We had seen a lot of shows, and weren’t sure we would make it time-wise, but we got there just as it was about to start. The theatre was full, and so we couldn’t sit up front like we usually do. We were in the second to last row (of people, that is….the theatre wasn’t completely full) so I was pleased to get some decent pictures being so far away. I love this show!

After this, it was time for our 3rd “Toy Story Mania” ride. Then we headed over to meet Prince Caspian. Okay, his he was pretty cool, and his accent was awesome. But the wig…well, it looked like the kind “Princess” had to wear when she was a party boy in the Nutcracker.

Next up was “Voyage of the Little Mermaid” show. We walked in right at the end, so went right into the theatre. The first row had just enough seats left for us, so that was cool!

After this, we went to the “Animation Academy.” That was fun. The kids got to meet Sorcerer Mickey,

Goofy,

and Mary Poppins.

On our way out, we watched another showing of “American Idol,” which has become one of Princesses favorite shows.

I guess the day of relaxing the day before gave us a lot of energy, because after the park closed, we went over to Downtown Disney and had dinner at the Earl of Sandwich. Since we were there, we decided we may as well get a couple of hot fudge sundaes at Ghirardelli! Mmm! We also picked up some cute Mickey Mouse gloves because it is cold out.

Next Day: Day 11 – Animal Kingdom at night
Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #90
Tbelle1976
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great day so far.

My DS got picked for the Jedi Training Academy just last month. We also went to every show of the day and he finally got picked for the last show. For us it was worth it because it was really the highlight of our vacation for him and tons of memories! We had the same Jeni Master and he was so funny for us as well!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: